[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What if I eat red meat once a month? Is it safe?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 6
File: seared-filet-mignon-3[1].jpg (165 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
seared-filet-mignon-3[1].jpg
165 KB, 1200x900
What if I eat red meat once a month? Is it safe?
>>
>>34907385
mayb idk lol
>>
>>34907385
I don't see why it wouldn't be.
>>
>>34907385
Medfag. You can eat it even once a week, just make sure you also eat vegetables, fibres reduce the time it stays in your intestine preventing cancer.
We knew this years before WHO made it "official"
>>
>>34907511
>even once a week
lmaoing at this shit
>>
>>34907385
Dude you can eat red meat for every meal, 100% of your caloric intake, and you will live to 100 and be able to jump real high and fuck 67 girls
>>
>>34907534
?
>>
>>34907511
Not OP, but I need some help expanding the foods I eat. My entire life certain foods with certain tastes or textures have always scared (yes, actually scared) me. I have some mental issues and it's most certainly a piece of this.

In recent years I have made some progress by being more open minded and comfortable with trying new foods. Just within this last year or so, in fact, I have become comfortable with eating things like peppers and tomatoes, not necessarily individually, but at least when they are part of a bigger food (like a sandwich or something). However I am still very uneducated on how to eat better.

With my issues in mind, what are some other foods I could begin to try to eat? I never eat good so the most effort I ever make is to try to keep from eating the worst, however I do eat a lot of meat in general and I end up (on the side of everything else) typically eating more junk than I should, which I realize I should just cut out completely but I will probably not do for a sizeable amount of time, if ever.
But really, what are some basic, not very strong tasting or textured foods that I could try to start eating that are healthy for me? I don't like most fruits and vegetables in general and end up eating minimal amounts of these, but for this post specifically I would appreciate it if you could tell me of some vegetables I could eat that fit the description I previously made.
>>
>>34907587
Potatoes. Cabbage. Broccoli, steamed if you don't like the texture/taste and melt some cheese on top of it. Carrots, can also be steamed. Just eat shit, nigga.
>>
File: mediterranean-diet.jpg (110 KB, 720x795) Image search: [Google]
mediterranean-diet.jpg
110 KB, 720x795
>>34907587
I know what you mean, there are some foods I just can't eat.
The problem with junk food is that it's going to clog your cardiovasculary system (atherosclerosis) and it's low in fibers (>colon cancer).
There is an enormous variety of vegetables and thousands ways to cook or season them. You have to try and find what you like more and you could just stick to it. Reduce your salt intake, season your foods with olive oil and spices (pepper, curry, oregano, rosemary, whatever you like) to give them a flavour boost while keeping them healthy.
If you need more calories eat carbs (whole grain is better because of fibers), unsaturated fats (but not hydrogenated ones), white meats as poultry, fish and dairy products (again, no butter).
Nuts and olive oil have a high amount of calories but the fats in them have an antinflammatory effect (kinda like ibuprofen); fish has omega-3 which is actually given to people with cardiovasculary diseases as a drug.
>>
>>34907662
Butter is completely fine in moderation though, say a serving or two at most a day.
>>
>>34907614

>>34907662
>>34907759

Aside from meat I basically eat entirely carbs (like potatoes and some breads, to mention a few), I forgot to mention.

Thank you both very much for this information.

What exactly does steaming do to the food? And how is this, as well as many other cooking techniques, done?
>>
>>34907385
It's just as safe as doing any other unhealthy activity once a month. Humans are herbivores. You are not physiologically equipped to handle meat in quantities much greater than the occasional delicacy without adverse health consequences.
>>
>>34907853

Humans are omnivores, you tard.
>>
>>34907908
Meat damages our arteries. Animals that evolved to consume meat, like cats, don't suffer these effects.

http://www.waltham.com/news/cats-high-fat-diet.shtml

>Based on studies in humans, it was thought that the diet high in saturated fat could lead to an increase in cholesterol, while the diet rich in polyunsaturated fat would have the opposite effect. In contrast, however, this research found that increasing the proportion of fat in the diet has no impact on cholesterol levels in healthy cats – regardless of whether the fat is provided in the form of saturated or polyunsaturated fatty acids.

>“If the same diet fed in this study were given to humans, it would result in a significant increase in LDL (low-density lipoprotein) cholesterol – a recognised risk factor for cardiovascular disease.”

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1312295/

>Atherosclerosis affects only herbivores. Dogs, cats, tigers, and lions can be saturated with fat and cholesterol, and atherosclerotic plaques do not develop (1, 2).
>Although most of us conduct our lives as omnivores, in that we eat flesh as well as vegetables and fruits, human beings have characteristics of herbivores, not carnivores
>>
>>34907385
you fucking degenerated shitheads, can't you read?
the WHO article says that PROCESSED meat is bad. which we already knew.
there's nothing wrong with red meat.
>>
I do not get you motherfuckers. At all. What is your obsessions with living a long life?

There are probably other aspects of your life that put you in greater danger than eating fucking red meat. Live in Detroit? Probably going to get killed by a nigger. Live in Austin? You'll probably die in a car wreck.

You are tip toeing your way to death. It's inevitable, let it go. I'm not suggesting going skydiving every day, nor you should completely throw caution to the wind and eat McDonalds 6 times a day.

You may live to be a 120, but only 50 of it is worth a damn.

Eat what you want as long as it fits goals for your body.
>>
>>34908024
Bruh you'll never make it with this attitude.
>>
Lol there is like a 2% chance of getting bowel cancer.
If eating red meat increased your chances of getting bowel cancer by 100 %, youd have a 4% chances of getting it.

If youre gonna worry about that shit you might as well stay indoors all day, avoid all traffic and wait to die by ageing
>>
>>34908024
>>34908036

If you do cardio regularly, lift weights regularly, have a mobility routine and don't have just awful genetics you can easily be exercising still at 70+ yrs of age. I know two people in my family who have been participating in sports their whole lives and at 43 and 45 years old they can both still run 5:50 and 6:05 for a mile.
>>
File: slashthread.png (20 KB, 1991x488) Image search: [Google]
slashthread.png
20 KB, 1991x488
>>34907979
>>
>>34908036

I've already made it, bud. At least for the goals I set. I'm a 28 year old roided up, pain-pill-poppin', 4-times-a-week-red-meat-eating Texan mother-fucker. I thoroughly enjoy my life. I don't plan to live past 50, and I'm perfectly fine with that.

There are more problems that come with living too long, than dying young. But I'm tired and I've preached it here on /fit/ one too many times.

Adios.
>>
>>34907979

>humans should not eat the same things as cats

Thanks, science. How does any of this disprove humans being omnivores? Just because we're not carnivores does not make us herbivores. Fucking hell.
>>
>>34907979
>>34908084

Medfag. we need to be omnivores to get vitamin B12 that is only in meat, dairy products and eggs.
Also, we became homo sapiens thanks to hunting since we needed to communicate in order to make efficient attacks, that's why our cortex got bigger and we don't live on trees anymore
>>
this thread is retarded. don't eat red meat every day but if you're seriously making a conscious decision not to eat it because you think you're going to die, you're fucking up.
>disregard if you're in your 50s
you're putting way too much thought into it. BTW actually recommends eating red meat every day in his bodybuilding blue print. This shit is like 2 years old. If red meat was that dangerous, bodybuilding.com would be getting so much shit for suggesting it in their meal plans
>>
>>34907385
Just take Creatine, nigger.
>>
>>34907544
Why will it reduce the number of girls I fuck?
>>
>mfw i eat red meat 4-5 times a week
>mfw i eat it medium rare to blue depending on how i feel
>mfw i dont eat vegies
>Mfw i am 6.2 and in perfect form
>>
>>34907385
You can eat it daily. There is literally nothing wrong with eating non-deepfried lean meats. Just make sure you eat your veggies too.

Don't listen to religious vegan believers or scientifically illiterate retards who base their worldview on Daily Mail headlines.
>>
>>34907662
>encouraging oils and sugars more than meat
>thinking wine is somehow better than any other booze
>thinking whole grains should be the majority of your diet
>thinking butter is bad

Holy momscience, is that you Dr. Oz?
>>
File: 20151101_003350-2.jpg (3 MB, 2037x2454) Image search: [Google]
20151101_003350-2.jpg
3 MB, 2037x2454
>>5228039

um

am i going to die
>>
>>34907979
All you've done is shown we're not pure carnivores, which nobody has claimed. Are you really this retarded or are you just a dedicated troll?
>>
>>34907979
>Humans and cats don't share a diet.
Such brilliance, how did your shining star of intellect get missed by all our satellites and telescopes?
>>
>>34908080
>implying being in your 40's is old.
How's high school?
>>
>>34909608

What about Inuit ppl? They eat a diet full of red meat (mammals and oily fish), high in animal protein and animal fat. They have long lives and are free of most diseases (even ones asscioiated with meat consumption), according to doctors and scientists that had the balls to go study them
>>
>>34907385
You only have a total increased risk of 1% of getting cancer stop being paranoid
>>
>>34909842

>They have long lives and are free of most diseases

That's a myth
>>
>>34907385
>once a month
I eat red meat at the very least twice a week. Am I going to die?
>>
>>34910097
Yes, in around 60 or 70 years depending on your age.
>>
>>34907385

if you eat red meat once a month then you get cancer once a month, baka. you want monthly cancer?
>>
>>34910126

How many grams of fat do you generally eat per day? Any type of fat, from any source, what does a vegan like yourself aim for?
>>
I'm not an expert on cancer but I believe you need to make eating meat a habit to the point where your digestive system can't treat it as a one time thing and starts working around it and some cells start turning cancerous because WHOLE SCENE A MESS, so extended and regular consumption just like with smoking or sun bathing before it gets statistically bad. Of course you can still be the unlucky fucker to get cancer from just about anything, just being alive. But if we're talking taking chances in life, I think once a month is perfectly safe, once a week and your digestive system could very well be confronted with meat 30% of that time, just something to consider..
>>
>>34908460
>i am 6.2
lolwut, how is that relevant? no one is saying red meat shrinks you

Also, get ready for that fucked up heart
>>
>>34909842
We can eat a carnivorous diet, but that doesn't make us carnivorous anymore than our capacity to be vegan makes us herbivores. It's just more evidence of our nutritional adaptability.
>>
>>34909953

It's 1% for every 50 grams (1.7 ounces) you eat, and that's in a country where the rates of colon cancer are already high (third most common cause of cancer diagnosis and death in the US)

Stop trying to downplay the risk
>>
>>34909578
>the World Heritage Mediterranean diet is Dr. Oz tier
>trust me, I've a Ph.D in Broscience

2edgy4me
>>
>>34907511
What should we eat instead of red meat?
>chicken has tons of hormones added and is unethical
>fish is unsustainable, unethical and have heavy metals in them
Red meat is superior to both these options for me because home kill hand raised beef and sheep have none of these down sides
>>
>>34907385
Once a month is what the Mediterranean diet suggests. I think those studies were more about Saturated Fats in meat, so go for lean meat.
>>
>>34907385
LE SHIT POST THREAD LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOK GUYS I DID IT AGAIN
>>
File: shutterstock_100628686.jpg (1 MB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
shutterstock_100628686.jpg
1 MB, 1000x1000
>>34911311

Healthy protein exists

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/beans-beans-theyre-good-for-your-heart/
>>
>>34911488
Considering there is no proven link between red meat and cancer I will continue to eat red meat. And if that link is proven I will probably continue eating red meat unless the risk is around or higher than smoking
>>
>>34911687

>And if that link is proven I will probably continue eating red meat unless the risk is around or higher than smoking

There's no proven link between smoking and cancer. Are you going to smoke?
>>
Please shut up
>>
>>34911698
There is a proven link between smoking and cancer. It is classified as a substance that causes cancer in human
>>
>>34911732

The evidence against red meat is about as strong as the evidence against smoking. Processed meats are classified in the same category as cigarettes, and in reviewing the mechanisms of carcinogenesis for processed and fresh red meat, both were said to have similarly strong evidence of carcinogenicity.
>>
>>34911698
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_IARC_Group_1_carcinogens
Link for knowledge
>>
>>34911758
No it isnt. Not even close. Smoking is undeniably cancer causing.
As for red meat there was no proven link because in ~50% of the studies there was no link and ~50% there was a link found. Red meat is in the maybe causes cancer category.

As for processed meat if you eat processed meat you are 18% more likely to form cancer, this is confirmed and like smoking can not be denied l. So base risk (~5%) × increase(~18%) = ~6% chance you form cancer in your lifetime
>>
>>34911758
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_IARC_Group_2A_carcinogens
This is the category red meat is in for knowledge
>>
This is a daily reminder that everyone must die no matter what they eat..
>>
>>34911814
To add to that red meat might be cancer causing but the link could be so low that they might never be able to confirm it
>>
>>34911814

Red meat is in the "probably" category, which means it more than likely is a cause of cancer. A "maybe" would be Group 2B. According to this Q&A they put out, the mechanistic evidence linking red meat to cancer was strong as it was for processed meat, but observational studies weren't 100% positive, though they still mostly showed a link. Observational studies are more likely to have errors and false reporting, and when done on populations without much variation in diet you can fail to see associations where associations do exist. Because processed meat is more potent, the link is more clear even with subtle differences in a population's diets.

http://www.who.int/features/qa/cancer-red-meat/en/
>>
>>34907587
Are you me?

Things I have found:
Vegetables: Broccoli, carrots, snow peas, salad with VERY LITTLE dressing and queso fresco (its similar to mozzarella) to balance the flavor, peppers, diced tomatoes

Fruits mostly have weird textures that you just have to fight through, but they generally taste alright.

You don't HAVE to eat anything alone. Find good recipes for things like stir fry, soups, and pasta that combine all the ingredients in one pot/pan.

To avoid eating junk food, don't buy any. I stopped buying anything I can eat without cooking first (besides plants), and it did wonders.
>>
>>34907614
Potatoes are not vegetables, they are just starch. I mean, they are probably better than bread, but they don't have much other value.
>>
>>34911931
Yes red meat either
A) Doesn't cause cancer
B) Is such a small increased chance of cancer that no link has been found yet (and may not be found)

From the studies done these are the only options. Red meat is less likely to cause cancer than processed meat, if it was the same or more likely the link would have been made and published. If it was as strong (it's not) the link would have been made and published.
>>
>>34912075

I don't know what you mean by no link has been found. Obviously a link has been found, it's just not as strong as processed meat based on observational studies. They still tell you to limit red meat and choose other protein sources. The mechanistic data alone is strong enough to say it's a definite cause of cancer

The AICR agreed about listing red meat as a carcinogen

http://www.aicr.org/press/press-releases/2015/Diet-Cancer-Experts-Welcome-WHO-Report-on-Meat-and-Cancer.html

>AICR strongly supports the International Agency for Research on Cancer's report classifying red and processed meats as carcinogens, and we hope it will spread the message that what we eat plays a role in cancer risk.
>>
>>34912196
>muh appeals to authority

Oh vegan fag, when will you learn?
>>
>>34912196
>a link has been found but it isn't strong enough to say a link has been found

In other words they think there is a strong possibility there is a link but can't prove/confirm there is a link

Anyway I will take a 1% more likely to have cancer to keep eating meat. There are a lot more cancer causing things in life so why keep the deliciousness of meat away from my mouth
>>
>>34912196
Also the WHO (AICR is a sub group within WHO) never made any recommendations for diets based on the findings.
>>
>>34912930

>1% more likely

>>34910991

>>34912946

>the WHO (AICR is a sub group within WHO) never made any recommendations for diets based on the findings.

As far as I know they're separate groups. The AICR is a subgroup of the WCRF, but not WHO or the IARC.

The AICR has been recommending people avoid red and processed meats for years, calling the link between red meat and colorectal cancer "strong." Here's a report from 2011

http://preventcancer.aicr.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=20691&news_iv_ctrl=0&abbr=pr_

>Following an analysis of the Imperial College team's report, the CUP Expert Panel concluded that there is convincing evidence that red meat; processed meat; excess body fat; and abdominal fatness (fat carried around the waist) increase risk of colorectal cancer.
>>
>>34913390
The 1% is for processed meat not red meat. There is no value for red meat because a strong enough link to give a value has not been made yet. There isn't even a ball park figure for red meat because the link isn't strong enough.

https://youtu.be/UqvXc4q0NyM
>>
>>34913442
Yes it's a video but he puts the points very clearly and all the sources are in the description at the bottom.
>>
>>34913442

The Q&A posted earlier says 17% for every 100g red meat, compared to 18% for every 50g processed meat
>>
>>34913514
It suggests that for red meat (science speak for not sure but about this value)
It estimated the processed meat (science this is as close as we can get it at the moment)

100g of red meat is about a serving. 1 serving a day every day and your risk of getting cancer is only about 1% more than if you didnt eat any red meat. When more research is done it's likely these values will drop (that's just how this sort of study works). Aka red meat has pretty much no effect on your long term health.
>>
>>34913508

I'm not seeing anything in the video to disagree with, I just don't think leaving it as "only 1% increased risk so no big deal" is a fair thing to say. Even ignoring that it's like 1 slice of bacon that takes you from 5% risk to 6% risk, you shouldn't even want to eat a food that has a neutral effect on cancer. You want to eat foods that help prevent cancer. If instead of a slice of bacon in the morning you ate a bowl of oatmeal, your risk might go in the opposite direction, from 5 down to 4% or less. When the default is you being at risk of getting cancer, even a food that did nothing either way would be a bad choice.
>>
>>34910991
That link is for processed meats. Why can't vegans into reading?
>>
>>34907387
underrated post
>>
>>34907385
>he fell for the vegan meme
>>
File: 1447121379662.jpg (26 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1447121379662.jpg
26 KB, 500x375
>>34908378
>>
It would be extremely painful.
>>
>>34916627
For you
>>
>>34910097
Unfortunately yes. nothing can stop this although meat helps prolong the inevitable
>>
>>34907662

I am Mediterranean and that is horseshit.

Whole grains? No one here even knows what that means. All we eat is plain white bread, white pasta, and white rice.

Eggs are also eaten often. And people here rarely eat red meat because it is expensive, but they would eat it more often if it wasn't.
Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.