[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If products like pic related provide all the vitamins and minerals
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: multivitt.jpg (24 KB, 500x497) Image search: [Google]
multivitt.jpg
24 KB, 500x497
If products like pic related provide all the vitamins and minerals you need, does that mean you can stop eating fruits/veggies and just eat protein/carbs/calories?

Not that I don't like fruits & vegs, I'm just wondering...
>>
There are a shitload of other substances in fruit an vegetables other than the 20something micronutrients that we have identified and pressed into pills.
Also a lot of nutrients degrade the more you process them and it don't get much more processed than multivitamins.

Also people taking these regularly have shorter life expectancies than those who don't. Not implying causation here but make of this what you will.

Short answer: Fuck those pills, buy some proper real fruits and vegetables with your money.
>>
>>34898946
pls dont poopost when you have no idea what you're talking about :(
>>
>>34898946
>a shitload of other substances in fruit an vegetables
I wonder what those are, and what are theyr functions.
Cant we also take all those in form of pills?

>people taking these regularly have shorter life expectancies than those who don't
Source?

>>34898968
whats ur opinion on OP's question anon?
>>
>>34898987
substances like sulpforaphane in cruciferous vegetables, they are plenty good for you... You can't really process them, they rapidly degrade even if you only heat them a little.

And as I said: no causation; but people who think healthy living involves only taking a multivitamin every day usually do not actually live healthy lifestyles
>>
File: intdstng.jpg (24 KB, 400x331) Image search: [Google]
intdstng.jpg
24 KB, 400x331
bump
>>
Hijacking this thread.

Why does my multi-vitamin not have all the nutrients? I recently noticed its lacking the most important ones according to /fit/, namely D3, potassium, & calcium. Yet it has like 5,000% of the DRV for B12. Why they do this? And what multi-vitamin should I buy that isn't lacking?
>>
It's probably best to think of them less as a replacement for a nutritious, varied diet and more as a sort of additional safety net to help prevent possible deficiencies.
>>
>>34901310
probably because those minerals would interfere with the absorption of the other minerals present. this is why iron isn't including because it has the highest affinity among all dietary minerals.
>>
>>34902873
So you're saying if I take D3, potassium or calcium it cancels out with the multi vitamin?

How are you supposed to get all your micros if micros cancel each other out? Got a source that this is even true?
>>
>>34902873
and a good multi contains high quality vitamins and minerals that have high bioavailability. this is tricky for minerals since all minerals compete for absorption, so a good multi has to have vitamins and minerals in the correct ratios (vitamins because they also influence the bioavailibility of minerals). a good multi contains as little filler as possible, which usually are things like herbs, amino acids, digestive enzymes, etc.
>>
>>34902984
>a good multi has to have vitamins and minerals in the correct ratios

Fine, but mine literally has ZERO calcium or potassium, or D3.. surely skipping over micros altogether is not the "right ratio"? Can you recommend a good multi?
>>
no. Because pills don't contain vegetable/unsoluable fiber.
>>
File: 1298070314161.jpg (38 KB, 544x400) Image search: [Google]
1298070314161.jpg
38 KB, 544x400
>>34899039
>substances like sulpforaphane in cruciferous vegetables

u think u can just make up words and expect us to believe u? nice try fag
>>
>>34901310
That's not a vitamin, it's a five hour energy.
>>
>>34902957
it's not a matter of if minerals and vitamins influence the absorption of each other, it's a matter of how much they do. certain mineral pairs are well known and documented: copper competes primarily with zinc, calcium with magnesium. i think the reason calcium, and potassium aren't in higher quality mutlis is due to their prevalence in foods. calcium is in dairy products and potassium in fruit juices. also companies will deliberately put calcium and/or potassium in their products to "fortify" them. in the case of potassium, you'll likely see it in high sodium products because sodium is well known to compete for absorption against potassium. as for vitamins, vitamin C is well known to enhance the absorption of iron. this is what i meant by correct ratios. this is probably why multis are suspicious in the first place because one can only wonder how the body is able to handle all of these nutrients simultaneously
>>
>>34903019
i've tried about a handful of multis and the one i take is by Life Extension Foundation. it's about $18 or $19. it's a 3 months supply or if you wanted to take just one tablet a day, it'll last 6 months. it's low on fillers (no herbs, amino acids, or enzymes), and has a good mineral and vitamin profile. but manganese is weak because it's gluconate, so i supplement with manganese seperately. magnesium is weak too, so again i supplement with that seperately as well. it has calcium, but it appears it's present primarily to enhance the absorption of vitamin C. not saying it's the best, but for what i can afford, it suits me well
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.