[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I stop cutting myself? I've "made it"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 3
File: tumblr_ldh1l2PEyp1qdapjso1_400.jpg (33 KB, 400x266) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ldh1l2PEyp1qdapjso1_400.jpg
33 KB, 400x266
How do I stop cutting myself?

I've "made it" I've been working out 5-6 times a week for two years now and have gotten a girlfriend graduated college, and scored a decent job. I'm still really depressed all the time and always feel like shit. I'm afraid to even show off my gains because my entire left arm and my torso are covered in cutting scars.

How do I stop being so sad?
>>
Why do you cut yourself? What does cutting provide for you?
>>
>>34885994
Well one of the reasons your sad it sounds to me is because you're cutting now.
You should also go to a doctor and get checked for depression.
>>
and SNRI combined with something like welbutrin or buspar to keep you stable.

SSRI's don't do shit. If that doesn't work, you could try the tricyclics.

Good luck man. You'll get better.
>>
>>34886002
I really don't know.
>>34886005
>You should also go to a doctor and get checked for depression.
I'm sure I do was diagnosed at like 14 but never have been on meds or anything.
>>34886007
I don't know what any of that is.
>>
>>34886002
Most people cut for emotional release. It isn't attention seeking, it's because it provides temporary relief from extreme mental anguish/ pain.

>>34885994
I legitimately think that the only solution to self harm is to see a councillor. You don't necessarily need medication, it depends on the root cause of your sadness. Mostly, it requires reconditioning on how to deal with stressful situations, and properly diagnosing why you feel sad.

If it's chemical, a councillors solution will be >>34886007

No one on /fit/ can properly diagnose you though. Just be weary of pill pushers, and remember to get a second opinion.
>>
>>34885994
that's really unhealthy
you're feeding a Jinn your energy
you're giving away your life basically
>>
>>34886027
Oh and to add to this. Remember that it isn't your fault and you're not to blame. Bad mental health is just something that happens sometimes. You don't blame someone for going to the doctor when they get cancer, so don't blame yourself for seeking help when your mental health is suffering.
>>
>>34886034
>Jinn

Fuck off you dark skinned faggot,
>>
>>34885994
Fuckin kill yourself trash kid XD stream it live
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (20 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
20 KB, 480x360
>>34885994
You should stop cutting your skin and start cutting your body fat.
>>
>>34886062
im brown but my skin is shiny
>>
>>34886041
That's something I've struggled with a lot wherever people try to get me to go to a doctor I get really pissed makes me feel like I'm retarded or something
>>
>>34886111
You feel bad for it as a result of the stigma surrounding mental health issues. Actively seeking help on /fit/ is a really brave step towards getting legitimate help. You just need to take that extra leap and go to a professional.

It seriously doesn't make you retarded. Just a bit of bad shit in your life you gotta deal with, that's all.

You'll be right m8. I believe in ya! We're all gonna make it.
>>
get professional help, stop asking 4chan for advice.
>>
>>34885994
In my experience, psychologists are extremely unhelpful and will just make things worse.

The way I dealt with it is what normies call 'just stop being sad'.

I started taking things so seriously, and started being more optimistic, etc etc.

I still hurt myself when things are overbearing, but now things are way less overbearing.

Try to control your emotions (meditation, yoga, etc), and take it easy anon. Accept and embrace the uncomfortableness and try to find a way that works for you to deal with it.
>>
>>34885994
K but why hasn't your girlfriend said anything, and go see a professional.

Also, cutting = lost gainz
>>
>>34886174
If you got to a proper psychologist, things like meditation and mindful thinking are all part of behavioural therapy.

I am glad that your method worked for you, but you are providing anecdotal evidence against statistically backed practices.

I think it is harmful to discourage someone to seek professional help. Maybe it works for them, maybe it doesn't, but it is the intelligent first step to take. After that, you can reassess how to better cope.
>>
>>34886019
Go see a doctor again, do the therapy (actually do it, don't just go and sit there and talk to them, take the shit they tell you and apply it to your life), and if that doesn't work, try medications.

As to stopping cutting, honestly the only way to stop doing it is to get to the point where you don't feel like doing it anymore, then just stopping. I had a pretty serious issue with self harm type stuff for a while, and it's the only way I know.

Also, stay the fuck away from this place, in particular /v/, /b/ and /r9k/, it's shit for mood disorders, the atmosphere just tends to keep you in it. /r9k/ will even actively encourage mental disorders, saying you're a normie if you don't have one, it's a real shit-hole. Coming from someone who used to have absolutely crippling mental disorders, there is nothing wrong with being normal, and /r9k/ posters are just a bunch of retards who draw their sense of self from imagined or exaggerated mental disorders. Seriously, it's the absolute worst thing for depression.

>>34886034
Fuck off, fucking lizard-poster.
>>
>>34886190
Explain how you lose gains
>>
>>34886224
Dunno what he's talking about, but theoretically, wouldn't your body have to dedicate a fair bit of resources to healing the cuts? Protein in particular.
>>
>>34886152
Thanks m8
>>34886190
She's tried to get me to see someone
>>34886213
I've actually made an effort to stay off r9k because it made me feel like shit
>>
>>34886224
It's a play on words you brainiac.
>>
just kill yourself already pussy
>>
>an adult man doing something that even teenage girls realise is just attention seeking
>>
>>34886266
>>34886266
Yeah, just don't go on it at all, I'm mostly better now, and even going on it for an hour or so makes me feel depressed and angry, it's got an incredibly negative attitude about it. Somehow even Wizardchan was less depressing. Try to stick to /fit/ and /tg/, if you have to still post here at all.
>>
Hey all the people telling you to go see a doctor are right about that shit, they can help tailor new ways to deal with whatever bothering you and hopefully eventually help you understand why you hurt yourself. But in the meantime one of the most helpful things I came up with when I was getting really bad was to find things that I could do that would still hurt but leave less lasting damage. On my worst days I'd jump rope until I could barely stand and if I still wanted to cut I'd whip myself with the rope. Breakpoint stuff can help too, if you have a place you can do it without freaking anyone out,just go to a thrift store and buy a bunch of plates and glasses and smash them in a basement or garage or something. Remember that this isn't you it's just a thing you do, you can change and you can get better
>>
>>34886310
This is a misconception. Cutting is not attention seeking.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-harm#Classification

"A common belief regarding self-harm is that it is an attention-seeking behavior; however, in most cases, this is inaccurate."

You can leave now troll. What is with this toxic behaviour and trying to tear people down?

3edgey5me fucking pleb cunt
>>
>>34885994
Stop being a crybaby, and find another outlet. Maybe get a punching bag or something to vent with
>>
>>34885994
I don't even know why you guys cut yourself. A very close friend of mine cuts himself from time to time. Besides talking to him I don't even know what to do. A few times I even had to physically assault him to stop him, but I don't want to resort to that again.
>>
>>34886334
when the fuck did Reddit invade this board so much?
depression is one thing but self harms a load of bullshit. If you actually believe Wikipedia is a source then I shouldn't even be replying to you
>>
>>34886334
It's not as simple as that, coming from someone who did have self harm issues. The same as any mental thing, it's not as easy as "it's this, not this". Cutting can be attention seeking based, anger at self or others, psychosis, sexual based, boredom. It can be any number of things, and we have no way of knowing either way why the guy in the OP does it from his post.

It's stupid to call it attention seeking though, but it's also stupid to say cutting is never attention seeking.
>>
>>34886334
>quoting a sentence on wikipedia
>wikipedia doesn't even have a source
>>
>>34886375
Op here I make an effort to hide it
>>
>>34886367
Look. I'm all for the trolling on /fit/, all of that bullshit whatever. Mental health is very serious business though, and egging it on for some e-penis points is fucking stupid. What, are you 14 years old and can't tell the difference between something serious and something for a bit of fun?

You forget that popular Wikipedia articles are heavily sourced.

>depression is one thing but self harms a load of bullshit

Yeah, you don't even know what you're talking about.
>>
Just stop.
>>
>>34886375
The intention wasn't that self-harm isn't attention seeking. It's that in general it isn't. My statement wasn't meant to be black and white.

Chronic self harm is also a very different beast.
>>
>>34886392
>>34886375
okay let me rephrase then. Self harm is most often attention seeking, however irrelevant of the reason if you are cutting yourself you're a fucking idiot. Please explain this to me, I'm not a very emotional person, I legitimately do not understand how a mature adult would do this.
>>
>>34886426
Well first off, you're wrong. In general, chronic self harm is not attention seeking. Most self harmers are ashamed of what they're doing.

Have you ever been really angry or upset by something? Felt like punching something, or curling up into a ball and crying? A possible reason for self harming is exactly the same. It can be a way to deal with emotions that are extremely overwhelming, as you don't have any better coping mechanisms.

We are talking extreme mental anguish. It isn't something you would understand, because you have likely not been in a similar situation.

>if you are cutting yourself you're a fucking idiot

Your lack of emotional empathy/ maturity likely indicates a lot more about you than them, but lets just ignore that.
>>
>>34886390
I get that, and don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you're attention seeking, I'm just saying that those guys aren't medical professionals, and even if they were, a single post on 4chan is not enough to state as to your reasons for self harm, that would need a series of interviews.

Only person here who knows your motivations is you, don't let shitposters get to you.

>>34886409
Chronic self harm is very different, you're right, but even it isn't as simple as either being attention seeking or not, people can do something for completely self-destructive reasons, but also use it to seek attention.

>>34886426
Honestly, it's as simple as the people who cut themselves as a result of mental disorders are not rational when they do it, they're in intense mental distress, whether the intent is to get attention or not.

Sexual reasons is a whole entire other discussion.
>>
>>34886461
this anon is the only one making sense. I can understand if they have recently undergone a very traumatic event and are thinking completely illogically.
however this is not the case as op said he has his life in order and is making it, therefore
I stand by my statements in this situation. regarding op
>>
why is victim enabling spreading to 4chan?
>>
>>34885994

>cutting yourself

i never understood this meme.
>>
>>34886495
It would make sense after a traumatic experience, and isn't uncommon in that situation at all. Distress from psychological abnormalities can cause it too though. It's not something that can really be completely understood though, it's a case by case basis the reasoning behind why people may engage in self harm, don't try to box it all together as one thing.
>>
>>34886568
yeah but no matter the circumstance it is a stupid thing to do.
>>
>>34886568
yet still, op has no reason to do this, ergo he's a faggot
>>
File: image.jpg (62 KB, 500x332) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
62 KB, 500x332
>only 90s kids will get this
kek, also
>tatfags thinking they are any better
K E K
>>
next time when you gonna cut,just do it under your chin
>>
>>34885994
I used to cut myself. Granted, that was 10 years ago or something. I never went outside without a hoodie/long sleeved something because of shame. Even during summers.
Eventually I got sick of having to decline social gatherings (going to the beach with friends etc) , so I told my friends and showed them my scars. My family noticed my scars, we talked about it for 10mins and it has never been mentioned again.
Over time, and with a tan, your scars will fade. My scars are barley visible now from some distance, you have to actually know what you're looking for to see them. Or be very close.
Give it time bro, it'll get better.
>>
>>34886213
Honestly leaving this whole site (except /gif/ ;pppp) helped me get over my shit. I only return like once a week when I'm really bored/insomnic
>>
>>34886589
No-one's denying that, it's not a reasonable thing to do at all.

>>34886593
OP's always a faggot tbqhwyf
>>
>>34886213
so you think cutting yourself is normal lol... w/e
>>
>>34886659
What? Where did I say, or even imply that I thought that?
>>
I know how!

KILL YOURSELF
>>
>>34886680
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH XDXDXDXDXD
>>
>>34885994
focus on what makes you happy. youre gonna make it brah
>>
HOLY SHIT NIGGA WHAT A FUCKING BITCH YOU ARE. WHY DONT YOU JUST FUCKING KILL YOURSELF AND END IT ONCE AND FOR ALL

>MUH SPECIAL SNOWFLAKE SYNDROME, YOU DONT KNOW WHAT IM GOING THROUGH

NIGGA KIDS ARE DYING IN AFRICA RIGHT NOW OF STARVATION WHILE YOUR BITCH ASS IS MAKING SOME MINOR CUTS ON YOURSELF BECAUSE OF WHAT IS EXACTLY. IT'S DOWN THE ROAD, NOT ACROSS THE ROAD FAGGOT
>>
>>34886717
>>34886680
Epic posts, /b/rothers! XD
>>
>>34886680
top l00l!!!!11111111111
>>
>>34886426
>Self harm is most often attention seeking, however irrelevant of the reason if you are cutting yourself you're a fucking idiot.

Believe it or not, it's not about you.

You should be worried about the fact that you initially see self harm as an act of seeking your attention. Maybe you recognize the natural instinct that something in you tells you to be compassionate but you are unable to, so out of frustration and lack of skill you give them negative attention because you somewhy think it's better to give any kind of attention rather than none. That's not true. If you can not find empathy in you for these things, you should really be quiet. I know it's the internet and all but you can gain absolutely nothing good by insulting people who have problems with intentionally harming themselves, but you can really make them feel a lot worse.

Do you think most adult males who cut themselves are not already ashamed as fuck for the stigma of cutting being something troubled teenage girls do?

I have gone as far as cutting my chest, and now no matter how good and normal and whole I ever feel, I can never get naked with a normal person without having to give more or less confusing explanation when the reality is that I still don't understand myself completely and probably never will. My past will always make certain kind of people reserved no matter how good we hit it off otherwise, sometimes because of their sheer lack of understanding. To think that someone somewhere would claim I did it all just for attention is simply wrong.
>>
>>34886738

I hope you and OP are okay, and I hope you find a good bro to talk to about the difficult stuff you go through. If you were nearby I would send you cookies.
>>
>>34886753
>I would send you cookies

>>>/reddit/
>>
>>34886738
you should have stated that you cut yourself earlier in your paragraph, i almost took you seriously
>>
>>34885994
just be happy !
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.