[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Need cure for sciatica (L5-S1 Herniation). Doctors just throw
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: sciatica-s2-sciatic-nerve.jpg (103 KB, 340x340) Image search: [Google]
sciatica-s2-sciatic-nerve.jpg
103 KB, 340x340
Need cure for sciatica (L5-S1 Herniation). Doctors just throw pills at me and physio gave me a bunch of stretches to "open up my hips". Been a couple of months with no improvement.
>>
I had problems after a car accident, and hellish nerve pain almost every day for years. I didn't want to go to a chiropractor because I thought it was new age BS, but I found one that was realistic about their practice. It's just manually helping you move back into alignment, which helped me when all the pills and stretches did nothing. No chakra or energy nonsense. Find someone who'll tailor the session to what's bothering you instead of doing the same routine every visit, and take their time, and use various methods. Inversion helped me a lot, even though the first time was a bit painful. Decompressing my spine was great, and the adjustments were a lifesaver. I haven't had the nerve pains more than maybe three times in about five years, and if I have any problems he can usually provide relief. If they don't take time and they aren't willing to keep working if you say you still feel tight/a pinch/something, then don't go back. Hope that helps.
>>
Get a massage, and tell them about your herniation. While they can't fix you, they can release some of the muscles that are super tight, especially around your gluteal region, for lateral rotators and Gluteus Minimus.

Chiropractors and Massage therapists can work hand in hand, and will help keep you from running for pain meds all the time.
>>
I had a similar problem. When I was 11 I jumped off the roof of my house and landed terribly. My neck snapped forward hard and I heard it crack. I couldn't hold my head up for a week. My neck was stiff ever since and progressively got more painful until it was unbearable by the time I was 18. My parents finally took me to a doctor and I got a readjustment and it worked incredibly well. It still hurts and has limited mobility but it alleviated a lot of pain. Go to a chiropractor I'm almost positive one will be able to help you. I have no idea what was wrong with my neck though. It might have been a lot less intense than your problem.
>>
honestly, the best things that i have done were going to see a chiropractor to get everything (including hamstrings and legs in general) loosened up, as well as surgery (disectomy) where the portion of the herniated disk was removed.

Just make sure to keep up the chiropractor and life can return to normal as long as you take care of your body afterwards
>>
>>34884220
Have you ever tried foam rolling? Worked wonders for me
>>
>>34884562
>chakra
>energy nonsense
you actually thought chiropractors do this?
>>
File: hip.jpg (937 KB, 4288x3216) Image search: [Google]
hip.jpg
937 KB, 4288x3216
I thought I was getting it. Got bad enough where I couldn't reach down to put my socks on, even with bent knees, without pain. I would lay back on the bed and put my feet up to put them on.

Turns out my whole posterior chain was just tight as shit, coupled with tight quads and anterior hips / hip flexors.

Thing that helped me the most was the hip flexor stretch in pic related. Go on these hard and look up online if you are doing it right. I would work for 3-5 minutes on each side a few times a day, plus as many standing quad stretches as I can. This nearly cured me completely.

For the posterior, don't just do a half-assed hamstring stretch. Take a dense ball like a lacrosse ball and do some hard massage on your glutes, it should be painful. Do some hamstring stretches too, but make sure you are targeting the actual hamstrings, not the lower back (you can do light lower back stretches separately).

The calves are surprisingly important and can be very tight if you are a runner. Each piece of the posterior chain should be loosened. Go hard on these calf stretches, do some achilles/heel cord stretches if you want too (careful).

Do some foam roller to the hammy and glutes. Focusing on any knots. Finally, hit the IT band and quads hard with the foam roller. Definitely painful. This should give your probably-tight anterior hips some room. Other hip stretches help too.

I'm completely lowerback pain free these days, and I'm pretty fuckin close to being able to standing touch my toes with straight knees.

Not sure if anyone will read this or if it's already common sense, sorry. Also, this is mostly for muscular imbalance or tightness, which can alleviate, but not necessarily cure, nerve pain.
>>
Go to an above average chiro.
>>
I just turned 28 and was 25 when I woke up one morning with intense lower back pain on the left side and couldn't walk straight up. I didn't lift before then, I only ran so I don't know what caused it. I'm in the army now and have went to a physical therapist. The first time he adjusted me I was pain free for about 2 days, but then the pain began to return. It's just something I live with. I make sure to stretch in the morning before the gym.
>>
>>34886462

>chiropractors

Might as well go to a fucking witch doctor. They can print out a qualification in that quackery.
>>
Take a tennis ball to your hips/glutes. When you get used to that, use a lacrosse ball. Do small circles. Gonna hurt like a bitch but just breath into the pain. Gotta do it on the floor, sitting with one ankle over the opposite knee and the ball on the side that's crossed, if that makes sense.

Also foam roll your IT bands (outer sides of thighs) and do less sitting. Sitting too much makes the problem worse.

Good luck.
>>
>>34887294
By the way, I initially went to a chiropractor and he did fuck all with my back and charged me around $200. I saw a physical therapist and the guy had me feeling great within 5 minutes. The pain is less than it used to be, but I'm afraid I'll always have to live with it.
>>
File: 8-Back-Stretch.jpg (14 KB, 300x247) Image search: [Google]
8-Back-Stretch.jpg
14 KB, 300x247
>>34887332
+1 to this guy.

Speaking from experience, regular lacrosse work and stretching made an enormous difference to me.

Bridges, the stretch pictured in >>34886949, and my pic related are all god sends.
>>
>>34887549
This and that, and I also spent an hour or 2 a day lying on a heating pad on the floor and alternating with an ice pack while having my calfs elevated on a chair. I also took ibuprofen for a while but it started to fuck with my stomach.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.