[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone else train strongman? I've been lifting for about
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5
Anyone else train strongman? I've been lifting for about 2 years now, and have a nice foundation at 6'0" and 200 pounds with 14% body fat(been bulking for a while). I bench 250, squat 360, and deadlift 370. Originally when I started training, I did it to look good and help with getting girls. Even though I'd still like to continue on this path, I thought it would be a good idea to start training for performance and strength rather than aesthetics. This has caused me to look to strong man and powerlifting, as I have been told the two are very good in explosiveness, speed, and strength of course. I guess my question is, who trains strongman lifts, and how do you implement them into your routine? I've also been really focusing on building up my back, core, and shoulder strength, as my legs, chest, and arms exploded, but those muscle groups slowly gained and seem to be lagging. Strongman is great for back and core, is it not? I've been ditching isolation lifts as well, and really focusing on compounds with 5-8 reps. I'll post my routine, and feel free to change any part of it. Keep in mind my main focus is back, core, and shoulder strength.

Monday: Weighted pull ups 3x8
Deadlift 3x5
Cleans 2x5
Dumbbell snatch 2x5
Barbell Rows 3x6
Hyperextensions 3x8
21's 1x21

Tuesday
Incline bench 3x8
Seated barbell press with front raises superset 3x5
Dumbbell shoulder press 3x6
Front plate raise 3x8
Close grip bench 3x6

Wednesday
Squat 5x6
One legged squat 5x6
Calf raises 3x10
Jump rope for 10 minutes and then heavy rope workout for 5 minutes

Repeat

I'm so sorry for the huge post. How would you implement strongman in here, or would you do a whole new routine? I want to focus on weighted carries like farmers carries and keg carries. Thanks
>>
Do yokes
>>
Yeah I agree. The best thing about strongman is that no faggot manlets are allowed. No weight classes. No bullshit 2 inch ROM techniques manlets use. It's all pure strength that only tall men can obtain
>>
give pics
>>
>>34882690
>who is Mariusz Pudzianowski
a manlet literally won a WSM championship
>>
File: 20151111_132508-1.jpg (3 MB, 2092x2390) Image search: [Google]
20151111_132508-1.jpg
3 MB, 2092x2390
I dont understand how you only deadlift 370 at that weight, and time, pic related it's me
>>
>>34882719
He's 6'1", faggot
>>
>>34882719
xDDXDDXDDDDDD LE eBINIFG TROLL DUDE LMO I GET IT HES ONLY 6 FOT 1 XDDX LOL XDDDDXDDXDXD
>>
>>34882722
I have Danish ancestors, and a lot of big strong Polish relatives. Unfortunately I didn't get the height, but before I started training I was already pretty strong from climbing and working at an auto body shop
>>
>>34882728
He's around 5"11' I've met him personally
>>
>>34882690
There are many strongmen world record holders that are manlets. Even more manlets are in local + state strongman comps.
>>
>>34882690
Imagine atlas stones when the guy can't even reach the high platforms.

>>34882665
I'm starting to want to get into some of the old timey moves but practicality of them looks like a pain.

I'm getting ahead of myself tho, I need to make some atlas stones and shit. Atm I'm stuck on odd object lifts and grip training.
>>
>>34882757
I mean desu, they're only manlets if you go by /fit/ standards. Being 178cm doesn't make you a manlet in the real world, but apparently on /fit/ it does. I don't know of any 170cm strongmen
>>
Being a tiny manlet means you have to move the weight less distance than a tall fucker who has much more rom.
>>
>>34882748
How massive was he?
>>
>>34882785
Look up how the sport works. There are weight classes and everything. At your weight, you will be competing against all manlets. Many of whom will be 175cm or lower. This is a serious misconception with the sport, just like powerlifting. It isn't composed of all super heavyweight freaks of nature.
>>
So does anyone actually have any tips for OP? I've been interested in this too.
>>
>>34882789
Certain events benefit from being a certain height because better leverage. It's easier for example for a v tall guy to flip a smallish car because they don't have to almost ohp the thing. In some ways you could say it's easier for a 6'6 guy to lift a weight 6' than for a 5'6 guy.
>>
>>34882665
everything that you're describing you want is accomplished through olympic weightlifting.
>>
File: boner.jpg (23 KB, 466x460) Image search: [Google]
boner.jpg
23 KB, 466x460
>>34882839
DAT LAT
>>
>>34882665
I lift at a powerlifting/strongman gym. Most of the guys who compete in strongman train 5-6 days a week and bust their ass for at least 2 hours a session. A buddy of mine does something like this regularly but he switches the rep scheme, volume, and frequency up a lot depending on how far he is out from a comp(has a few state records):

M: Squat training

T: Pressing + some bodybuilding work

W: Farmer walks + Atlas stones

Th: Squat training

F: Yolks + keg toss training

S: Deadlift training

Su: Rest
>>
>>34882860
1. Do you lift to get sore in strongman? I always hear you don't get super sore because there's no concentric movement but do you go so long that you feel your muscles aching the next day?

2. Do you guys train to failure?

3. Will sores legs from squats inhibit farmers walks and yokes?

Thank you so much for the help bud
>>
Guy asks for strongman advice, ends up with people discussing manlets and other insecure shit.

Anyway, you could do gym variations of strongman such as Farmer's walk with heavy dumbbells so start with about 95 pounds for each hand according to your deadlift. Some clean and jerks might be a good idea. You could even try a hercules hold variation by the cable machine. One handle with each hand with the pulley mid to low i would say, whatever challenges you more.

That being said, it is optimal you get proper strongman equipment it is quite easy to make. You could get kegs and tractor wheels from a junkyard. I think Elliot Hulse has a tutorial in how to make atlas balls just google it.
>>
>>34882896
1. Lifting to get sore is a pointless goal so no. Prepare to put away a minimum of 5k calories per day on a routine like that. It helps.

2. Periodization. Learn beyond what the sticky teaches you. It sounds like you need a coach, honestly.

3. Eh. It's never hindered me much.

With lifts like yours, i would recommend sticking to powerlifting training and dabbling in some strongman stuff as accessories until you're stronger and more educated. Or just get a proper coach.
>>
>>34882971
The major problem I see with most atlas stones is people make a semi decent mix of concrete/cement but it's way too thick. If you know your water to cement ratio for whatever strength you want just add more water and cement until it's more workable. Bash the form up and down just after pouring to get rid of some air bubbles or if you have access to a vibration thing use that. You'll get a much nicer surface on the stone that way and it'll be more robust. You can also get plasticisers if you really want.
>>
>>34882989
To add to my post: >>34882989

Find a proper gym. A commercial gym just isn't going to cut it for proper strongman training. The equipment and an open area to train is essential. You also need to surround yourself with more educated and experienced people in the sport that can help you along the way.
>>
>>34882989
Does strongman put on size as well? Since I wrestle, I was hoping it would be great at increasing my weight. I'd imagine it does, but people always say shit like strongman and low rep workouts don't put on any size
>>
>>34883062
Look at any strongman who has been doing it for a while and that will be your answer. Same for powerlifters.
>>
>>34883062
>be 60 kg skelly
>decide to get into strongman
>fast forward 10 years
>can now flip a car over
>still 60 kg
does that seem reasonable to you? because it isnt.
>>
File: 1440984309540.jpg (31 KB, 442x304) Image search: [Google]
1440984309540.jpg
31 KB, 442x304
>2 years
>those lifts at that bw
>>
>>34883062
>size
Try pulling a truck 5x100yards 2 times a week.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.