[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
There are no better videos for the big 5 compound lifts than
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 7
File: 91l1+K3sK1L (1).jpg (788 KB, 1956x2560) Image search: [Google]
91l1+K3sK1L (1).jpg
788 KB, 1956x2560
There are no better videos for the big 5 compound lifts than these with mark rippetoe and the art of manliness cuc.k

shouldnt these be in the sticky ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhVC_AnZYYM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T9UQ4FBVXI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnBmiBqp-AI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AObAU-EcYE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIB_X2N6020
>>
File: deadlift_seminar_small.jpg (278 KB, 1280x850) Image search: [Google]
deadlift_seminar_small.jpg
278 KB, 1280x850
>>
This
>>
not everyone wants to or should lowbar squat
not everyone wants to or should power clean like rippetoe teaches

other than that i agree
>>
>>34878163

SS is in the sticky is it not ?

why not have the lifts too
>>
>>34878163
>implying low bar squat isn't better for starting out
>implying power clean isn't fun, impressive, and relevant for general everyday strength.

Other than that, fuck right off anon.
>>
>>34878185
>>34878163

OP here - he does have some point - rip teaches a certain type of press (with a hip bounce) and a certain type of power clean (jump)

i think his power clean is less standard
>>
does anyone have a good example of the dumbbell versions?
>>
>>34878173
its one of the suggested programs, doesnt mean everyone should lowbar squat
>>34878185
why would lowbar squats be better for starting out?
first of all, i didn't say you "shouldn't power clean", i said "shouldn't power clean like rippetoe teaches it". second of all, power cleaning isn't fun or impressive to most people. neither is everyday strength. you can't seriously say that everyone should power clean. people have different goals.
>>
>>34878213

I don't get it either why everyone should start low bar. It was, and still is, really uncomfortable compared to high bar for.
>>
>>34878202
>>34878213
It's about developing joint integrity, timing, stamina, and balance in an overloadable way. Just because his cues are a bit different from other strength coaches doesn't invalidate the motion he teaches.

Cleans are important as fuck too. Dead gets a heavy box off the floor. Power clean gets the folding chair overhead so you can start a riot more effectively without hurting yourself.
>>
File: 1442194985147.jpg (74 KB, 363x552) Image search: [Google]
1442194985147.jpg
74 KB, 363x552
>>34878151

They should but the sticky hasn't been updated in decades, so not sure if it's ever gonna happen.
>>
>>34878246
i just started with low bar.

there's nothing more pleasurable in life than doing squats and deads and overhead press
>>
>>34878258
> Just because his cues are a bit different from other strength coaches doesn't invalidate the motion he teaches.
it does, if you want to olympic lift (competitively.)
>Cleans are important as fuck too. Dead gets a heavy box off the floor. Power clean gets the folding chair overhead so you can start a riot more effectively without hurting yourself.
90% of people do not give a fuck about that.
>>
File: 1420669438508.jpg (52 KB, 479x720) Image search: [Google]
1420669438508.jpg
52 KB, 479x720
>power cleans
>>
>>34878278
90% of people don't know what they want in the first place, which is why they read SS, and additionally why you should fuck right off.

The first 3 pages serve to justify the whole regimen: from the decision to utilize low-bar squats (harder to learn correctly, more or less, also increased ham involvement) to the decision to include power cleans (literally because it is fucking useful, for STRENGTH). The program is a pissing foot note and more of a volume/intensity guideline than anything else.

If you're illiterate, fuck off.
>>
>>34878151

Why does rippetoe always look so insecure and angry?

I don't like him
>>
>>34878151
>9:50 of Squat video. Belt says "FAG".

lel, pretty much sums up Rippetoe
>>
>>34878341
>90% of people don't know what they want in the first place
hurrdurr my goals > your goals

why the fuck are you talking about SS? this isn't startingstrength forums, this is /fit/. most people won't start with SS, so why are you referring to it? most people don't give a fuck about STRENGTH, so your argument is SHIT.

i agree, power cleans are useful for certain applications. hell, i do SS myself. but that doesn't mean power cleaning is useful for someone who just wants to pack on some muscle. and don't give me that bullshit about power cleaning for traps.
>>
>>34878416
>but that doesn't mean power cleaning is useful for someone who just wants to pack on some muscle

wat
>>
>>34878462
the time under tension is so small it doesn't really do much. and it if does, shrugs are better anyway.
>>
>>34878271

Yeah I know. Just meant that high bar is much more natural for me and I have always been able to go low without any problems.
>>
>>34878416
You're fucking dumb. You'll quit and give up before you're at risk for a groin injury, but power cleans work those stabilizers and develop tendon and joint integrity. It's not a jumping shrug, its a clean, dipshit.

Stay on SS for a couple years maybe you'll get it.
>>
>>34878487
>but power cleans work those stabilizers and develop tendon and joint integrity.
please name the exact muscles that power cleans work as stabilizers that other lifts don't

and how the hell does lifting fast develop better tendon and joint integrity? heavy squats and deadlifts are infinitely better for that purpose. and rippetoe teaches the pc as "jump and shrug", so if it isn't a jumping shrug, then what is?

why the fuck would i stay on SS for years lmao. i total about 1060 and am changing to a different program soon due to stalling.
>>
>>34878581
nice argument bro
>>
>>34878278
>90% of people do not give a fuck about that.
90% of people do not give a fuck about anything m8
>>
>>34878548
>stay on SS for years

really... this guy
>>
what's a good beginner alternative to SS then?
>>
>>34878658
Read the shticky
>>
>>34878642
90% of people who come to fit just want to get big
>>34878653
wat
>>
File: agreed.jpg (36 KB, 210x263) Image search: [Google]
agreed.jpg
36 KB, 210x263
>>34878151
>mfw Polish translation of sticky is like
>If you want good movies with all theoretical explanation just write "squat Rippetoe" or "deadlift Rippetoe"
thanks Maciej
>>
>>34878658
ICF 5x5
>>
>>34878658
strong lift
>>
>>34878721
Pollock plz go
>>
>>34878737
Take you and your rows elsewhere. They are not welcome here.
>>
>>34878151

So should I start OHP'ing with a belt? I have form issues so I think it could help. I am stuck on sets of 115 for 5 reps, trying to progress to 1pl8. I am going to the gym for shoulder day as soon as my lunch digests so any advice before I go will be taken into immediate consideration
>>
>>34878658
greyskull LP or either Smolov Jr
>>
>>34878767
If you're rounding your lower back a belt can help
>>
>>34878781
i'd like to see someone round their lower back in an ohp...
>>
>>34878781

The issue is definitely in my lower back/glutes. People always say "squeeze your glutes" but that makes me lose focus and divert "attention" to my lower body, and I fail the rep immediately. I think I do subconsciously round my lower back when I get into working sets because I want to hit the reps so badly.

I really want to progress on OHP and have been quite frustrated the last 4 weeks or so. I switched to seated dumbbell military press and am still progressing on that (60s in each hand for 8 reps now), but for whatever reason the movement does not translate into my barbell OHP at all. I am basically still at the weight I was at before I started doing dumbbells.
>>
>>34878271
Aye. I'm doing SL 5x5. I love squat, deadlift and OHP days. I hate barbell row and bench days (mainly because I fucking suck at them)
>>
>>34878151
Rip knows that the gullible sheep will follow whatever he tells them to, he feeds off your stupidity and desperation
>>
>>34878548
Sartorius, pectineus, adductors, gracilis

Basically shit you won't think about until its injured and you wish you didn't have it.
>>
File: url.jpg (26 KB, 600x750) Image search: [Google]
url.jpg
26 KB, 600x750
>Art of Manliness
>>
>>34878856

Nothing wrong with good ole' boys like Ripp making videos so the gayboys in Europe at least have a chance at leading a masculine life.
>>
File: image.jpg (207 KB, 719x1280) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
207 KB, 719x1280
>>34878163
>does not want to squat low bar
>>
>>34878263
trapchan, please stop using my daughter in your posts.
>>
Is Rippetoe gay? srs
>>
>>34878899
if you already have deadlifts in the routine isn't high bar better
>>
>>34878831
>Sartorius, pectineus, adductors, gracilis
all used in squats and diddylifts
>>34878899
i squat lowbar, but some people dont have the shoulder mobility to squat lowbar despite stretching. rippetoe himself admits this. and some people just dont like the way lowbar squatting feels. id rather enjoy working out like i do than get 5% better gains and see workouts as unpleasant
>>34878924
you cant deadlift hard 3 times a week and expect good progress
>>
>>34878959
well you could do a AxBxAxx where A has highbar squats and B has deadlifts and switch B and A the following week
>>
>>34878979
or you could lowbar squat every workout and dl every other
>>
>>34879027
squatting every 2 days doesn't sound like a good idea brah
>>
>>34879060
it is
>>
>>34878805
It's likely a problem with your form. I would guess - without more information - that you are moving the barbell toward the front in order to clear your head. That would not occur with dumbbells. So try to keep your head back while your raise the barbell and while you lower it and "pull" the bar toward your face at first. It'll feel weird at first, but it creates a straighter bar path.
There are some good rip vids on it.
>>
>>34878658
>what's a good beginner alternative to SS then?

nothing

SL is basically a marketing guy
>>
>>34878806
>I hate barbell row

just do DL and then progress to Powercleans

i really dont think rows are a mass builder like DL or PC
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.