[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How to Quit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5
File: index.jpg (3 KB, 275x184) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
3 KB, 275x184
Need motivation to quit smoking.
I'm at the point of breaking, I hate it and myself for doing it. Gaining muscle while smoking, at-least for me is very hard.

I spend $210 a month (Tobacco is really $$ in Canada) and have budgeted out what I could spend on health and wellness.
Starting with 2 full-body massages twice a week from a friend for $100 monthly.

Any other suggestions or advice?
>>
>>34871452
Ignore what everyone says about it being hard to quit.
It is not.
First off concentrate on reducing your consumption. So instead of x per day, x-1 then x-2 etc until you are smoking only a couple a day. Then force yourself into only on weekends. Then just stop.

Should take a month. Unless you are a multiple pack a day smoker, in which case you have to cut down in bigger chunks.

Then.
Most important thing is to not buy. If you can't simply pick up and light up, you aren't likely to go out of your way or pocket for a single smoke.
>>
>>34871560
I'm currently stuck at the last part, its more habit than anything; in the morning, after breakfast, after lunch, after dinner, at night.
I only have 5-8 a day (depending on how stressed I am)

I've tried the patches, but even the smallest dosage of nic is double what I take in a day.

I've thought about just going for a run every time I crave a cig, do you think that would work well?
>>
>>34871602
Nah bru. You don't want to eliminate one source of a drug to replace it with another source

>hey Ma, I don't smoke meth anymore
>that's great son, so proud of you
>Ma, can you pop over the needle exchange I need some cleans

You might end up running a lot. But sure, worth giving it a go.
But at some point you just have to cut yourself off.

Maybe make a final purchase. Say four packs. When they run out, you're done.

Remember almost all of the stress that having a smoke relieves is generated by your body craving the drug. Beyond that, it is mostly the ceremonial habit that you have. Sitting down, taking the time out to do nothing else.

Pick one of your habitual moments when you would normally have a smoke. And just eliminate the smoking part. Do everything else. Go outside, sit down, forget about whatever it is, or take the time to put your thoughts in order.
Just one of the times a day that you would normally smoke. Change it to non smoking. Do that for a week.
Then change another time to non smoking, and another etc. keep taking those moments as "you" times.

You need a little discipline. Very little though.
But it takes time to form new habits, so if you can change things as little as possible, it will be easier.

I found that if I didn't smoke frequently enough, that the enjoyment was gone from smoking. It tastes terrible. Smells terrible. I didn't crave it. The only time I ever wanted a smoke was when watching a movie and the character lit up. But that is an easy craving to defeat.
>>
>>34871452
hatred my son. if you see yourself carving for smoke and you see yourself at loosen up mode that you could easily just take it because you dont care, you remember hatred that you felt and now hate the giving up attidute, the thing that bring you down on anything you do. fuck giving up, you arent the scum person you hate

so basically you need to be that kind of person if you want to manage quitting

also there is e-cigarettes, as i have heard they help to quit, but they do not help your attidute. if your attidute isnt strick towards smoking, that you wont hate or you think you dont need to hate because it doesnt feel good, then you probably wont ever stop smoking. only temprarily you stop but thats it
>>
>>34871452
>don't buy cigarettes anymore
>don't bum cigarettes from people
>don't accept cigarettes when offered
that's it lad

honestly quitting caffeine was harder than giving up smoking ever was. just get it in your head that you're not a smoker anymore and that's final.
>>
Look up Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking

If you can finish reading it and still want to smoke you may need professional help but given how little you smoke and the fact you want to give it up I'd say it'd likely work for you
>>
>>34871744
>Maybe make a final purchase. Say four packs. When they run out, you're done.

Good idea mate, I can portion them out and mark on a calendar when I'll be done with this disgusting habit.

>Just one of the times a day that you would normally smoke. Change it to non smoking. Do that for a week.

Another good one, thanks!
I'm really optimistic I'll be smoke free by Christmas; what a great present to my body.

On a side note, what should I spend the excess money on?
I'm already saving and whatnot so this would be purely for health and fitness.
Maybe trying new supplements or something?
>>
>>34871452
Alen Carr's Easyway to quit smoking.

It's a book and it works.

Basically it sums up the fact that no one actually enjoys smoking, they just enjoy satisfying the addiction which shouldn't even be there to begin with. Read it.
>>
Start vaping.
Easy as fuck to give up smoking then.
>>
>>34871761
>also there is e-cigarettes

Those may help with quitting tobacco, but there are studies coming out that the additives in the oil's have really adverse affects.

>>34871781
I wish I had that discipline to just go cold turkey,
I've been smoking for 4 years now and sadly my cold turkey phase ended when I gave it up for a year then just started again socially.
It spiraled from there.

>>34871811
I'll check it out, thanks!
>>
you have to remember how good it feels to be healthy and black lung free.

Just like when I stopped going to the gym and became a fat fuck. I had to remember what it was like to be swole, to help me get back into the gym

you say you want to quit, but you're here. You're asking how to quit. When you know how already.

your problem isnt a lack of knowledge

you're just a fucking pussy, youll never quit because youll always come here to ask for "ways to quit", but you already know how. you always know how to quit.

You just want the validation to keep going on. smoking your life away for 60 seconds of poison filled lungs
>>
>>34873166
I hope you keep posing OP, I hope you reply to my posts.

Because it would just confirm that you're too weak willed to just click close, throw away your cigarettes, and start again.

and Id be right.

And your lack of willpower will always bring you down the wrong path.

A word of advice? Take the hard way out. Cold turkey. Train your willpower. It will serve you well.

But I know guys like you. You're not going to listen. So keep on keeping on you pathetic fuck. Go and smoke a cigarette.

I know you wanna
>>
Some anon posted in a thread a few days back about how he smoked for a long time and his dick stopped working. I'm worried about this happening to me. Also from google-fu I found something that backs up his claim and says that it may actually be the nicotine not the smoke so that means vaping, dipping (fucking ew), nicotine gum etc would not ultimately solve the problem. Also, at work theres a Canadian guy visiting and his cigs have a warning about smoking and impotence (cig is shaped like a soft penis lol).

Should i be worried? Has this happened to anyone else? I'm planning on quitting at the end of the year.
>>
>>34873193
yeah I'll just keep smoking. thanks
>>
>>34871452
Take LSD or another serotonergic psychedelic. Go through the reasons for your addiction on the trip.

Compare it to other drugs. Tobacco is the shittiest of all drugs. No rewards, addictive as fuck, incredibly harmful on the body.

I've got 6 month smokefree as of yesterday and can highly recommend it to anybody. It is the single most efficient thing you can do for your health. Which is a smokers' privilige, btw.
>>
>>34871452
OP gonna stop with you too. Went to uni today forgot cigs. Couldnt smoke one in my way, before lecture, between lectures, and after the last lecture and in my way to gym.
At the gym i felt More focused. I felr oxygen, not sure if my brain told me it but it felt great. When i came home, i threw my tobacco into the thrash. (Better said, i put spoiled food in my tobacco(i roll so no instant cigs) so i can't use it anymore. Gonna stay strong the first three days will be a pain in the ass, and Then we have to say no to our used habits
>>
>>34871560
This guy gets it.

If you have to go full hermit mode and avoid your smoker friends for a month or two, just do it.

Use the anger and frustration at not being able to smoke to do extra stuff at the gym.
>>
Trying to just not smoke when the cravings come is a suckers bet. Use your willpower to refuse to buy smokes when you are out. Its way easier to just not buy the smokes and then when you're craving them there is no willpower necessary. It's literally impossible to smoke what doesn't exist.
>>
>>34871850

T.b.h. I'm vaping now for a couple of months. Of course I'm still a nicotine addict but I have all the positive effects from stopping to smoke. I taste more, smell more and my lung volume is at the normal level, oh also I don't cough. (You will experience coughing sometimes really heavily once you stop)
Vape is... Vape. It's the same deal except it tastes different and it's much cheaper. I will soon buy liquids with no nicotine and see how it goes, but if I fuck my shit up, I will immediately return to vape instead smoke. And it's BY FAR the better alternative. Just don't buy liquids from China and you can be sure to know whats in there (at most 4 chemicals: nicotine and natural aroma, PG and VG which condenses to water) contrary to cigarettes where you literally burn plant amtter producing hundreds of different highly dangerous chemicals. Give it a try before you stop, so you have a more or less safe haven if you fail.
>>
>>34871452
Imagine your lungs being leaves that wither away every time you smoke. I used to smoke pretty much every time alcohol was involved, but then I started imagining plants dying aka my lungs getting fucked up.

Haven't touched tobacco in half a year.... also helped changing work- and ed. places, social impact is a thing.
>>
>>34871452
OP go for e-cig. Maybe looks a bit faggy but its still nicotine and at least you wont smell like ashtray every waking hour.
>>
File: image.jpg (32 KB, 493x390) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
32 KB, 493x390
>>34871829
This. Smoker of 10 years. Hated myself everyday for smoking. Finall gave it up once I started using a vaporizer. It's been almost 2 years now, couldn't be more happier because don't smell like shit, lungs don't feel like shit, health doens't feel like shit. Try it
>>
Use nicotine gum. I quit this way. I like it better than the patch because you are actively doing some to get your fix, just like smoking. Even better if you dip too, because the gum is used on this exact same way.
>>
File: 14611958.jpg (24 KB, 364x366) Image search: [Google]
14611958.jpg
24 KB, 364x366
I quit just a little over a year ago. Didn't do anything special, just stopped buying smokes. I'm married now and my wife wanted me to quit, so I just can't smoke now. Feels great, my body thanks me, all of that.

I still really, really, really miss smoking.
>>
>>34874872
Learn to make your own juice. For less than a $50 investment you'll be making it for about 30 cents a bottle in any flavor combination you choose..
>>
File: 1310063674265.gif (200 KB, 150x171) Image search: [Google]
1310063674265.gif
200 KB, 150x171
Why even get started smoking cigs in the first place?

People who smoke are fucking scumbags. I love hearing all the complaints about quitting while I'm saving money not buying fucking cancer sticks.
>>
>>34875316
>my wife wanted me to quit, so I just can't smoke now

So we know who wears the trousers in your house!
Well done though.
>>
>>34877392
You also love hearing about how big of a faggot you are.
>>
>>34877460
Just needed a reason to quit, and she gave it to me out of concern for my health.

If I didn't want to quit there's no way I would have.
>>
File: 1447027646882.jpg (27 KB, 520x486) Image search: [Google]
1447027646882.jpg
27 KB, 520x486
Former pack-a-day smoker here - five years, started at 18.

There were days when I smoked 2 packs a day and when I was out partying and drinking I could easily do 3 packs. During the five years I had minor quitting periods, usually lasting only 1-2 weeks at most. My longest streak was 5 months nicotine free, but no other smoke free period came close even to a month.

Went cold turkey 4 days ago and I know I can do it this time, because I feel amazing already. I have so much more energy, my sleep is getting back to normal and the situation with shit-tier soft erections is improving also. I don't remember the last time I woke up with a hard-on...

5 years of fucking with semi-hard, having stamina levels of someone on a deathbed, thousands of wasted bucks, skipping gym and macros because of low energy has done enough damage already. Fuck the cancer sticks.

You can do it, OP.
>>
>>34871452
Nothing smells worse than a smoker

Breath like actual turds
>>
>>34878814
Except situation as you, except I'm 20 and started at 13-14. On day 5 right now and it feels brilliant. I've tried to quit a million times and this is the only time I've felt it might mean something.

I find it helps to draw a calender (or buy one) and pin it above my desk. Each day I go alcohol, tobacco free I cross it off, I'm trying to go 30 days, that's my initial goal
>>
>>34871452
I'll tell you how to quit. Throw away the cigarettes you have. Don't buy more.
This is how I quit two months ago.
That's it
>>
>>34871452
>I hate it and myself for doing it
remember that next time you smoke. if you still can't stop yourself from smoking then you'll know that you don't truly want to stop and are just kidding yourself.
>>
>>34880323
next time you want to smoke*
>>
Alledgedly the desire to smoke only lasts up to 3 minutes at a time.

Invest in a rubics cube senpai.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.