[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How in the flying fuck do you activate your pecs when doing bench
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 8
File: informative.jpg (64 KB, 400x357) Image search: [Google]
informative.jpg
64 KB, 400x357
How in the flying fuck do you activate your pecs when doing bench presses?

No matter how much I google how-to's and try slowly with little or no weight, I always feel it in my shoulders. Its starting to get a little frustrating.
>>
>>34847505
Open your arms.

Tho personally, I like to feel it in my shoulders.
>>
>>34847505
look up videos on bench press form, if you feel it in your shoulders you need to fix your form. Odds are your shoulders are too far forward.
>>
>>34847505
>>34847514
dontlisten to this retard unless you want to fuck up your shoulders.

tuck your arms to a apx 45 degree angle. This is the platform in which you press off of
>>
Tuck shoulder blades in and traps together as tight as possible against the bench as you bench. Having those joints and muscles in that position will make your pectorals activate automatically without you having to think.

That's literally it, anything else anyone tells you is memeing you.
>>
File: 1424618215158.jpg (42 KB, 400x680) Image search: [Google]
1424618215158.jpg
42 KB, 400x680
>>34847505
Is this what I'm doing wrong? My bench is fucking pathetic. I've been stuck at 155 for reps for like a fucking year now. Elders of /fit please show us the way.
>>
>How in the flying fuck do you activate your pecs when doing bench presses

Use the dumbbells.
>>
>>34847505
I finally got it right after about 6 months of lifting. Surprisingly from some autist on /fit/. Stick your chest out like you're a proud cock and pinch your shoulder blades together. Every chest workout you should try to stick out your chest.
>>
File: 1442194985194.jpg (118 KB, 659x460) Image search: [Google]
1442194985194.jpg
118 KB, 659x460
>>34847505

You just have weaker shoulders, that's why you don't feel it in your pecs - your shoulders give up too early.

You can't simply "not use" your chest during the bench press. It's the main muscle working on the movement.

Just do the exercise with correct form, and once your shoulders are stronger, you will feel it more on your chest.
>>
File: bench press bar path.jpg (36 KB, 350x317) Image search: [Google]
bench press bar path.jpg
36 KB, 350x317
>>34847563
>>34847505

As for the correct form, press your scapulas together and push them down. Arch your lower back.
The bar path is a diagonal line like pic related.

Use a normal grip, where your elbows will be at 90 degrees when you are at the bottom of the movement.

Then just keep adding weight on every workout.
>>
>>34847505
Another thing to note is that I can non-traumatically dislocate my shoulders and what that means is that unfortunately, sometimes they're prone to dislocating under weight. Its happened once while I was trying to get the correct form (no weight on bar even). I don't know if this is because I was using the wrong form or what but it might be something to consider.... maybe?
>>
>>34847537
This. Barbell bench isn't going to hit your pecs all that much. Or just do incline bench and flies as accessories afterword. That's what I do.
>>
>>34847628
Idiot.
>>
>>34847751
>there are people on /fit/ who think you can get decent pecs from just benching
>>
>>34847537

Seconded.

Another advantage of dumbell press over regular bench is you never have to do the "roll of shame" if you miss a heavy lift.
>>
Considering chest is the primary mover in the bench, you will never be 'not' activating the pecs. DBs are generally better for mass, however, because your shoulders can pivot around the moment arm (I'm pretty sure that's what is happening anyway) so you can use a more chest specific grip (elbows flared) without worrying about your rotator cuffs
>>
>>34847505
I didn't start feeling it in my chest until I hit about 190 for reps...that's when my chest started growing too
>>
>>34847628
>jumped on the incline bandwagon just because it was popular

incline shifts focus from sternal chest to more front delts/clavicular chest

and before you start shitting about how upper chest is more important for good looks, know that clavicular chest is usually 4-5 times smaller than sternal chest
and that it would be better to learn how to bench properly and strive for higher bench so you can use heaviuer weight for your hypertrophy sets
you're just limiting yourself by not doing flat bb bench

stay small /fit/
>>
>>34847810
This. I'm 170lbs and i feel like a gorilla chest after a set of five on 205.

Make sure you're pushing your elbows inward and along your body not outwards. Breathe on the way down and exhale on the way up. Also follow previous mentioned advise about the lats being contracted.
>>
The only time I get a chest pump from bench pressing is when I do a close grip bench press at a low weight.
>>
>>34847537
This to be honest family.
Only downside is it can be a pain in the ass to get in the starting position when lifting heavy dumbbells.
>>
File: patrick.png (86 KB, 162x250) Image search: [Google]
patrick.png
86 KB, 162x250
>>34847892
>caring about pump
>>
>>34847505
"Squeeze" Like is a dB fly as you push.

My shits wacky too. Strunk upper body but semi Manley size make it feel like a shoulder workout. /feelz
>>
>>34847910
A pump is a good indication that the targeted muscle is being activated.
>>
>>34847505
Quick question.

I was reading about proper bench form, and it's recommended to touch your chest. However, I feel it's harder to bench when the bar doesn't touch my chest.

Which one is correct?
>>
>>34847938
You find it harder because your chest is weak.
>>
>>34847963
So touch the chest or not?
>>
File: image.jpg (33 KB, 443x332) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
33 KB, 443x332
>>34847628
>Barbell bench isn't going to hit your pecs all that much.
>>
File: image.jpg (123 KB, 610x340) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
123 KB, 610x340
>>34847505
>pic related
This is how your arms should look. Make sure you reach full range and squeeze your chest. You do this by trying to "bend the bar" on way up.
>>
>>34847972
Yes touch your chest, don't bounce it off your chest though
>>
File: image.jpg (27 KB, 203x250) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
27 KB, 203x250
>>34847910
>not caring about the best orgasm you will ever experience
Its a good sign that your muscle is full blood supply, wich means you are properly using. Dyel?
>>
>>34847938

It should lightly touch your chest so that you know you're getting the full range of motion. It should NOT bounce off your chest.

If you can't do it without bouncing it off your chest, then you need to lower the weight.
>>
>>34847983

that grip is way too narrow, enjoy dying
>>
>>34848390

pretty standard grip for long armed lifters, KK benches even narrower

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9D9w6FSX4w

if you have long arms and bench wide you have a greater chance of a bad shoulder blowout
>>
Widen your grip breh.
>>
dumbbells all the way. also hit decline. it is proven to activate most of your chest.
>>
>>34847628
>>34847780
>>34847895
morons on /fit/
>>
Stop flat benching and use dumbbells instead. You won't contract your pecs fully ever in a flat bench press unless you use a crazy narrow grip. Barbell bench is the most overrated bodybuilding exercise.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.