[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /fit/izens. Any rugby players here? I'm playing for my
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 5
File: israel-daggget_2414426k.jpg (123 KB, 858x536) Image search: [Google]
israel-daggget_2414426k.jpg
123 KB, 858x536
Hi /fit/izens. Any rugby players here? I'm playing for my college team. I'm average height for my team, and I want to find good ways to work out so I can play forward (maybe hooker). Anyone have some good workouts besides running and push-ups and stuff?
>>
Yeah, this is my 5th year playing and I currently play for my uni team. Played hooker, 8 Man, and center. Focus on this big 4 lifts and throw some explosive stuff like cleans, jumps, and sprints in there. Most of your accessories should be geared towards having a strong back and big traps and shoulders. Where do you play?
>>
5x5
Sprints

Get strong, run fast, practice and you're all set
>>
>>34844316
America, so not really competitive. I had my first sevens tourney yesterday and I loved it. I really kept up cardio-wise, so I was happy. I still have about three months until we officially start fifteens.
>>
>>34844293
post your legs, hnnnng
>>
>34844343
Sorry, camera is broken. I marched with my school's band and that built up my legs and endurance, so I'm good with cardio for the most part.
>>
>>34844365
damn, rugby players have perfect legs
>>
>>34844293
Focus on learning how to play the game.
God I hope you have an import coach!!!

Major compound movements. Neck bridges. Every core exercise. Hiit. Hill sprints. Agility work.

Then do more neck bridges. Especially for hooker. And shrugs. And cleans. And squats - every variant. Then do cardio. And more neck bridges. And nor core work. Heavy.

Also, play rugby. Learn the game.

If you are playing sevens then give a shit. Sevens is basically a game for backs and loose forwards. It is straight up a training game. Take 15 men, some unlucky fag gets to be ref, seven a side game instantly.

Mfw watching Murican collegiate sevens tournament
>they actually bother putting effort into scrummaging
>play all the rest of the game like school children and/or femanons
>>
Union > League > Tag Rugby >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Rugby Sevens
>>
7s master race
>>
>>34844486
Lol so wrong. League is shit tier.

Union>sevens>touch>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>mixed casual social Saturday afternoon touch>>>>>>league
>>
I am just getting into rugby. Is it common to be comfortable throwing to both sides or is this some uncommon shit?
>>
As someone who has been playing in the UK for a decade and a half... Just play. The more you play the better your condition will be.

And will faggy backs please stay out of the scrum, you are unwelcome.
>>
>>34844343

Would a props legs do?
>>
>>34845165
yes
>>
>>34844486
>>34844934
What is with the love of touch rugby?
>>
>>34845009
Are you talking about passing? Yes you should be better at one side to start with. Practice your weak side and both will feel natural after a while
>>
>>34845322
Its just fun. It takes a fair bit of skill to make a break it's also great for keeping fitness up over summer
>>
>>34845354
I just remember the bastardised school touch rugby they seemed to be obsessed with where I went.

If I ever have to play touch rugby again it will be too soon.
>>
File: botevatlanta240_lg.jpg (43 KB, 350x514) Image search: [Google]
botevatlanta240_lg.jpg
43 KB, 350x514
>>34845327
What I am saying is that I do not seem to have a weak side.
>>
>>34845418
Consider yourself lucky then
>>
>>34844293
>rugby
>aka football for dumb people

Top kek
>>
>>34844293
SS (Add chinups to the program)
For cardio I recommend HIIT

As for the diet go bulk with the usual 500kcal surplus
>>
What are your strength numbers my niggas?
Squat
Deadlift
Power Clean
Push press
ect.
>>
worked out with union guys in the past, their routines were usually focused around

usually start with explosive work, power cleans, power snatch, etc.
then a squat variant, or leg press, usually 5/3/1
then usually a bit of explosive work like push press
finally there'd be a couple of GVT hypertrophy exercises, usually a row or bench variant
then some misc hypertrophy which was usually optional
>>
>>34845440
It's more complicated than football.

I grew up having an Irish rugby loving dad so I find it hard to understand just how confused some people get about rugby, but there are people out there that play it (or at least reckon they play it) and don't understand it.
>>
>>34845440
>because the game stops every 5 seconds that means it's a game for "smart" people

you are the most cancerous namefaggot on any board
>>
>>34844326
with the 5x5 do you mainly go heavy weights or limit yourself with heavy but manageable?

I used to do one light weight for warm up then progressively go heavy and finish with light only to add more energy and to focus on technique lol sometimes I'm unsure about my form but oh well
>>
>>34845440
Nice bait

Literally nothing in common with football (European or American)
>>
>>34845516
If your rugby is stopping every 5 seconds that's pretty shit rugby
>>
>>34845440
i miss supermang
>>
>>34844462
>Neck bridges.

err... no.
>>
>>34845623
i was referring to handegg, dummy. i made the mistake of watching the superbowl last year and holy shit it was boring, we all ended up completely legless because what the fuck else are you meant to do for 4 hours?
>>
>>34844293
fucked a few rugby players over the years and from what they blab on about, it's important to do gym workouts with explosiveness. While they're on their stomach and I'm pinning them down, whispering dirty shit in their ears as I slide into them they also tell me how important HIIT training is for rest days.
Later, as I'm cumming on their faces and chests they let me know that they're on a push/pull/legs routine while some teammates prefer splits.
Then I send them home and slap their meaty asses on the way out. Rugby players are such qt3.14s
>>
>>34845748
wat
>>
File: 1443377035406.jpg (54 KB, 960x640) Image search: [Google]
1443377035406.jpg
54 KB, 960x640
>>34847096
>>
File: YZcDc.jpg (178 KB, 968x1998) Image search: [Google]
YZcDc.jpg
178 KB, 968x1998
>>34847206
Is it weird that when I see two muscular, good looking normal gay guys kissing I don't really care, but if I see two fat/skinny, ugly weirdo gays kissing I feel nothing but disgust and pick up my pitchfork and torch?
>>
>>34847294
It depends. Ugly people deserve love if they can find it too, but quite a few go overboard on the pdas.
>>
Set your training up into a few different phases. First, get a base level of strength. Lift heavy using a program that works for you (SS, TM, 5/3/1, etc etc). Then, as you progress throughout the year, make it more specific to your sport.

Start working on explosiveness and work on sports specific endurance. How long does an average play last? 10-15 seconds of peak physical exertion? Train for that.

During the season, cut back the weights and only train to maintain your current level of fitness and strength.
>>
>>34844293
Been playing Rugby for 6 years on a few competitive clubs teams. I mostly play prop or flank but have a fare amount of experience with every forward position.

#1 best think you can do is join an Olympic weightlifting gym. You get huge in all the right places and become extremely explosive.
>>
>>34844486
Union>sevens>touch>>>>>>>>>>>>>>fake_rugby
>>
>>34845440
Actually most American football players really enjoy the fact that rugby is about the actual players making the decision instead of some old fat fuck in a chair. The scrumhalf calls plays its pretty cool to have cadences constantly called out.
Rugby was made to represent light infantry and cavalry
Football was made to represent Heavy inf, heavy cav, and an artilary aspect. I'm not kidding. look it up, both sports are more or less tactic training for the military.
>>
>>34848191
Rugby has nothing to do with military at all....

Look it up. Rugby was invented when some bloke (William Webb Ellis) picked up a soccer ball during a soccer game. It was a school yard game and I'm pretty sure 16 year olds don't know much about infantry formations

Dont try to impose your American ideas on what the game really is
>>
>>34848191
>>34849253
beef
>>
>>34847901
Prop or flanker? Explain the science
>>
>>34849791
Slow flanker/small prop?
>>
>>34849877
Big enough to prop for 2nd div, powerful enough to flank prems
>>
>>34850184
Still a very strange combo. Flanker is a pretty universal roll and the skill set/build can interchange with nearly any position but prop/hooker are very specific in skill set and build that it's hard to believe you could do both to a decent level
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.