[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Have you ever attempted to help someone get fit, but they just
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 8
File: Julius.png (102 KB, 746x717) Image search: [Google]
Julius.png
102 KB, 746x717
Have you ever attempted to help someone get fit, but they just absolutely refused, ignored all your advice and stayed fat as fuck?

Have you done your best?
>>
Stop trying to enforce your lifestyle onto others. You're no better than alcoholics who peer pressure you into drinking their shitty vodka.
>>
>>34842865
>trying to get someone to work to be healthy and fit is equal to ruining your brain with alcohol
>>
>>34842803

I've had people ask me to help them and I refuse.

Not worth the time investment got better shit to do.
>>
File: image.jpg (62 KB, 645x770) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
62 KB, 645x770
>>34842803
Not yet, senpai. We actually have a new hire at work who is fat as fuck but I'm really getting along with him. He mentioned in convo that he's going to start a weight loss program so he can "look more like this guy" referring to me.

Made me really happy and I invited him to lift with me and he seems interested and I think he may actually do it.

Wish me well guys, I'm hoping to make this guy /fit/ and a friend.
>>
I got fat as fuck while my brother lost heaps (not that he tried it was just when he went away to uni and had to cook for himself).

Anyway, the tables have turned and I've lost 40kg while he's ballooned. It's not even funny how big he is. He's come and asked me a number of times to borrow money for food while holding his big gut in his hands.

I know he wants to lose weight because he's asked the doctor for pills (yeah) and brought equipment and stuff. I saw he had protein powder and asked as to why he was using it.

"So I don't lose any muscle"
"But you haven't got any muscle to lose"

The look he gave me was one of "You have no idea what you're talking about". I tried mentioning counting calories and other things and, nah, he just gives me this look, can't even describe the look, but it's sort of arrogant/stubborn.
>>
>>34842865
I thought that the OP implied that fatty wanted to get fit an asked him for advice but he didn't listen.
>>
>>34842803
maybe you just gave shitty advice and you're too stupid to realize it?
>>
File: image.jpg (65 KB, 600x637) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
65 KB, 600x637
>>34842803
I try and I try

"B-but anon, lifting is bad for you"

"I don't want to look like I take steroids"

"I'm not superficial"

"My gf likes me the way I am"

Fucking faggots, I wish I had someone to show me the ropes
>>
>>34842803
>encourage friend to get fit
>tell her to come to the gym with me
>she says she'll go swimming
>later I found out she actually didn't
>>
>>34843035
>and I think he may actually do it.
>He mentioned in convo that he's going to start
people who talk instead of actions will never make it, especially not when they are fat as fatass
>>
>>34843597
>she
Now you're playing on hard mode. Especially if you're a guy.
>>
>>34842803
yeah you just get over it and move on
they don't actually care and they never will
if they wanted to change they would
>>
File: image.jpg (34 KB, 436x425) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
34 KB, 436x425
>tell me flatmate she needs to do cardio
>too lazy to run
>tell her to increase weight she uses
>uses same amount of weight three months later
>goon holiday and come back, she's bigger than before
>>
I did somewhat. My coworker wanted to lose weight and despite her being lazy. I encouraged her and often talked about eating right and avoiding fast food. She brought in McDonalds breakfast after two weeks. Oh well...
>>
>>34843779
Mickey D is convienient when dieting because it shows you the calories on the packaging.
It's actually a lot easier to lose weight that way, assuming you don't stuff your face with 5 bigmacs every day and count calories.
>>
Trying to get my 5'3 240lb mum to at least start walking.

Get the "that's all old and outdated. You only need 14 seconds of high intensity activity. Now are you going to eat this eggplant and purple lettuce salad? They say the enzymes that make the colour purple help lose weight."
>chows down on the salad then has a Red Rooster Chocolate desert of pure sugar.

Word for word, my mum ladies and gents.
>>
It has to come from within.
Also keep in mind most people don't have the neccessary self-discipline to stick to the simplest routine.

Also don't give unwanted advice. If someone asks, tell them to do body weight exercises, try to cut off soda and shitty food and come back to you in a month. If they do that, then give them an actual advice on lifting.
>>
>>34843822
this
I started my cut when I got a job at mickey D's and it's helping because I know exactly how many calories are in everything at the store. And I get free food. Nuggets are bae.
>desu senpai
>>
>>34843926
Oh, anon, we know you mom, don't worry.
>>
I've been going to the gym with my buddy consistently for about 4 years.

Ive had this happen with about 9 mates, although only two wanted to lose weight, most of them were just hungry skeletals so it's no just fatties that do this.

#1 came to the gym and wanted to do the same weight as us. Tried to reason with him and almost got into a full argument but gave in as he was being really insistent. Can't do anything properly because too heavy. Next day sends me a msg saying how sore he is. Never comes back.

#2, 3, 4 All super dyel. Each came a few times and lifts were going up. All keep complaining about not putting on weight. Give them detailed nutrition advice and keep telling them to eat more. Each one ends up quitting after a month because they aren't putting on weight but still won't eat more.

#5 came consistently for about 6 months and was seeing some solid progress. Got pretty sick for a week and couldn't work out. Never came back.

#6 comes for sessions when he wants to catch up and get advice but mostly does cardio and kettlebell stuff at home. Good enough for me cos he's still keeping fit.

#7 came consistently for about 2 months but wouldnt stick to the workout plan and was obsessed with doing ab crunches instead of compounds or any other sort of isolation. Gave up because he "wasn't getting stronger".

#8 and #9 are both soccer skellies looking to bulk in off season.Too early to tell if they're gonna make it but they are both into fitness already, take advice and follow instructions on form and have asked for help with meal plans etc so I have hope
>>
>>34843822
The calories are on the packaging of everything mate. All you have to do is just simple addition holy fuck.
>>
>>34842803
Every woman I've talked to. They always have excuses not to work out or eat healthy.
>>
Not a single person who has asked me for help has ever made it to the third workout. I'm not even putting them through difficult stuff. I'm taking about squatting and benching the bar to learn the form. They always bitch about how heavy it is. Try to show someone about counting calories or macros and they go WHOA TOO COMPLICATED TOO MUCH MATH.

I don't help people anymore. If they really want to improve themselves, the information is out there and is easy enough to find
>>
>>34844555
And you have to weigh every single component of a meal before you cook it? Great idea.
>>
>>34842803
>friend is 185 cm tall and weighs 61 kgs
>constantly complains about how he feels dizzy
>no energy
>always tired
>geeiwonderwhy.jpg
>tell him to eat more
>"but I do eat anon! yesterday I ate a pack of chips and other stuff. I eat so much I should gain weight"
>outright tell him that he lies to himself, say he needs more calories if he wants to gain weight
>actually does gain weight
>starts to get thinner again since he is writing his bachelors degree
>"it's so stressful anon, I always forget to eat"

seriously, if you don't have time to have three proper meals a day you are doing it wrong, or you are just a whiny bitch.
>>
>>34844599
>>34844599
It boggles my mind how people think that simple addition is "too much math". People just don't seem to care about how long they live.

>>34844621
You weigh all the main ingredients. It takes literally ten seconds to weigh something.
>>
>>34844621
once you have a baseline and know the basics you can also estimate a lot of stuff. I estimate most of the things I eat unless they are calorie dense where I always measure. but if we are talking about fruit, vegetables or other calorie light stuff you just estimate.
>>
>>34844633
>three meals a day
Someone fell for the middle class lifestyle meme
>>
>>34844621
>oh no I need to spend an extra few seconds weighing things while I've already got them out to cook anyway.

I'll never understand this mentality. It's not like you're going on a special trip to the kitchen and doing all this extra work. Youve literally alread got everything in front of you and are just spending 2 seconds weighing something. It probably adds less than a minute to the whole process.
>>
>>34843822
>>34843934
>didn´t read the sticky
>>
>>34843928
This is probably the best advice here. Most people on /fit/ made the decision and sticked to it. The best thing we can do is inspire and be sources of information. Only that. Motivation they need to get it themselves.
>>
>>34843035
I was there lost 85 pounds in 3 months while gaining strength, then I lost my workout partner gained it all back. Now I'm losing it again 2 years later. I won't revert this time. My traps would still make these pleb jelly.
>>
>>34845028
Still have 18inch calves, 13 in forearms, 16in biceps. But fat as fuck.
>>
>get my friend to start counting calories
>even cook for the nigga on occasions
>loses 30lbs
>his fat (5'1, 200lbish) gf moves back in town
>they're together again all day erryday
>gained 15lbs back
Fuck
>>
>>34842803
Yeah, it's fucking annoying.

I have a friend who's had a gym membership for 4 months now, and hasn't gone once, tried to teach him some basics in my home gym one time, but he just ignored me and said he'd go some other time.

Have another friend who asked me to help them program a routine, and then when I mentioned the basic stuff (literally just told them basic compound movements), they decided to disregard me completely and make a routine that was purely squats and running, with the excuse of them only needing those because they played football, no matter how much I told them that it's pointless to just do squats, and would lead to an imbalance that could fuck up your posture pretty badly.

Lesson learned from all of this is that people who want to get fit don't feel the need to broadcast it to everyone that they're going to, more information is available with a google search than anything that we could tell them, if they wanted to know it, they already would. It's the same as "I'm going to start going to the gym" people.
>>
I've tried everything to help my friend and he just doesn't have the willpower to do it. He's trapped in a shitty situation with his fat family and constant stress & nagging and can't hold a job so he can't leave.

He just keeps getting bigger and it hurts to see him like this. I really want to let him stay at my place and completely not allow him to fail, but I am an insane person who starts to hate people who are around me for too long with no exceptions.
>>
>be me in college
>roommate size of holocaust survivor
> always complains about being twig
>offer to take him to free campus gym many times
>finally he agrees to go
>arrive to gym, tell him about my lifting plan for that way
>ignores me
>wanders off into the corner and curls 15lbs
>approach him after benching and offer to show him proper form, etc.
>tells me he doesn't really do that stuff
>wat.jpg
>offer several more times to help him lift weights/spot him
>continues to ignore me and do random machines with absolute bitch weight
>tells me I've been here too long and he wants to leave
>tell him Im nowhere close to being done
>roommate leaves after 40 minutes
>complains about being having no muscle when I return to our room

I literally gave this faggot every possible opportunity to start lifting and getting them gainz. Instead he ignores me and would rather complain about being a nogainz faggot and how no girls are ever interested in his starving african build. I gave up on this faggot /fit/
>>
>>34842803
no, I try and stay away from that shit.
people who ask others for help are usually lacking in self-motivation and won't last, and I don't want to feed anyone's notion that they just can't change, when in reality they just aren't committed enough to change.
my sister does low intensity cardio several times a week, but still eats a lot of unhealthy foods. when I started eating better I put a lot more strict limitations on my food and she started commenting on how I was loosing weight quicker than she was even though she has been at it longer. I just shrugged and kept it too myself.
>>
in college i had an extremely fat roommate, as in, breaks chairs by sitting on them fat. he was also like 6'10".

tried to get him to come to the gym with me many times but he refused. a shame really.
>>
File: facepalm.jpg (4 KB, 277x182) Image search: [Google]
facepalm.jpg
4 KB, 277x182
>>34842803
Fucking yes. This fat fuck friend of mine makes a shitty half-assed attempt to lose weight at least once a year. Been 4 years now of him doing the same fucking thing. Everytime I tell him "Dave, lift weights, count your calories, and do cardio. You'll lose weight in the first few weeks then not lose weight as fast after that. Those first weeks are just water weight after that it's actually fat your burning." It usually goes like this.
>Gets gym membership
>only does cardio
>cuts out shitty food
>doesn't lift weight at all
>no supplements cuz they have harmful ingredients
>he smokes, vapes, and drinks regularly
Fucking guy loses waterweight after 2 weeks then gives up. It rustles my jimmies. What actually irritates me is his excuse not to lift... "I don't wanna get bulky like Arnold and shit I just wanna be skinny"
>>
>this fucking guy at my gym
>I swear to god
>5'11 god emperor of manletkind
>210lbs 30% bf
>completely DYEL
>he's been going to my gym for at least 2 years
>looks exactly the same as when he started
>in general he's flaky as fuck, on everything from his diet to his program
>eats 1800 calories a day for two weeks and then fucks up and gains back all the weight he lost again and again
>the only difference between him and Jason genova is that his chromosomes are in the right places

H-homegym master race
>>
>>34848954

/thread.

I don't even have the energy to try anymore because people just aren't willing to commit. ESPECIALLY when you start talking about a diet, eating healthy, counting calories and all that shit. Many times I've tried to explain to people that it's basic physics/mathematics when it comes to losing weight and EVERYTIME they deny it. So I gave up once I realized people want to be content with going to McDonalds after a gym run
>>
>>34843928
This is completely true. You can maybe motivate someone to go to the gym once or twice but that's not enough. The dedication required to stick to a routine has to be something you find yourself.
>>
I've tried before and I'll try again... I guess I'm just stubborn

>Have regular gym buddy
>He brings in a friend of his
>Friend is fat
>We try to teach him to lift smart and eat smart
>He has motivation for about a month
>Goes on a vacation, stops going to the gym

Fast forward a year

>Fat friend wants to lose weight and get swole
>I invite him to the gym
>I take the time to sit down with him and go through all the basic shit about nutrition
>Teach him all the compounds (again)
>Make a simple program built around Parks 5x5
>He seems motivated, for now
>I'm already bracing for disappointment
>>
>>34849267
hey man, you're a good person for trying. Regardless of their success you've done good.
>>
>>34842803
my mom, ive tied to give her diet advices but nothing changed, shes jealous of my progress jey she does nothing
>>
>>34849699
I find that with parents after a certain point you're kind of allowed to treat them like they're your kids instead
So just make her fix her shit
>>
>>34847694
>women
>>
>>34849699
My dad is the same, except he gets fucking angry with me everytime I bring up the subject.
He hates that he's fat, and he knows he has to lose weight, I think he's just scared of loose skin and stuff.
>>
>>34849130
>I don't wanna get bulky like Arnold and shit I just wanna be skinny
if this is yryl i just fucking lost
>>
My mom recently started making comments on me taking my diet/gym too seriously. Just finished a horrible 1000kcal/day 2 month cut in preparation for my first testE cycle. Started preparing for bulk by buying staples of my diet; peanut butter, oats, dark chocolate, oat cakes, low sugar cereal bars, 10kg whey, 10kg chicken breast, beef jerky, eggs etc.

2 days into cycle, mum asks if I'm taking steroids. My shoulders are too big and I'm too muscular, she doesn't like it. It was basically just the first time I had properly carb loaded in months, and I'd lost a fair amount of bf%. Shoulder vascularity showing etc. Meanwhile my younger brother is 23 year old fat as fuck fatass who has never worked in his life, sits playing vidya all day and sponging off my mum. Have to hide any bulking foods from him, as he will gobble them all up like blackfathole. Protein bread will go missing out of cupboards, any dirty bulking foods just magically disappear.

She asks if doing all this "weight loss and weight gain" is healthy. Meanwhile, she's a landwhale who smokes like a chimney, and hasn't exercised in a decade. Never questions my brothers disgusting lifestyle choices.

I despise my own family.
>>
>>34842803
my mother
my dad basically told me straight out not to bother and just smile and nod
wish I listened to him, would've avoided a couple arguments
fucking "you don't know how it is because you're young and skinny (lol BMI 26)" with my father mouthing "I told you so" in the background
>>
My step brother is the only person who has ever stuck to lifting when I introduced him to it 4.5 years ago.

We're both the same weight, age and height and we both do the same military styled workout that always turns heads at the gym.

I remember we brought one of those "I go to the gym 5 days a week" friends with us one time to work out. Kid bailed out and went back to his shit 5 machine rotation after 15 minutes.

Never help anyone lacking the mental commitment to succeed. That is how you avoid wasting time.
>>
Bump, this shits interesting to read
>>
>Start working out, get fit, look good, get compliments, etc
>Friend who's REALLY let himself go since he left for college hits me up
>Started as 5'8" 200 lbs
>We start going 4-5 times a week
>He starts making some serious improvement
>His landwhale succubus gf starts making walrus noises at him
>he stops going to gym all-together
>gains all the weight back
>and more
>I'm still getting better looking
>I can see he's regretting his decisions
>Yet I still feel bad for him and his stupid decisions
>>
>>34845028
I'm only replying to this because of how eerily accurate it is to my current situation. Lost 60 pounds in 3 months, quit because I lost my workout partner, gained it all back, now here I am 3 years later. Keep it up man, we can do it.
>>
>>34842803
Yep. Fat volunteer at the charity head office I wage slave at.
>suggest swimming as any cardio will fuck up his legs as he weighs so much
>tell him each meal should be a protein, preferably lean meats, veggies and if any carbs on top of the veggies then brown rice or sweet tater. Only drink water and black coffee.
>no calorie aims as he'd never even try, just cleaning diet up and adding exercise in initially

Two weeks later:
>stared 5:2 bullshit
>I asked what he ate on a normal day, and after breakfast, lunch and a snack he was 2000 calories over what he needed already
>explained nicely he'd have to eat nothing and do loads of cardio on the controlled days to even get close to even for the week. That the idea is to still not binge on the 5 days
>he weighs even more and smells worse now
>also says he's big boned, I called bullshit as I used to be overweight but lost it by grinding out on a lean diet and working my butt off

Fuck him and his shit excuses
>>
>>34850073
>son starts taking roids
>mother is worried
>"I despise my own family"

Yeah it must suck to be you
>>
>>34842803
>offer someone help getting /fit/
>expect them to admit to feeling inadequate
>expect them to openly reveal their weaknesses
>expect them to confide their desire to be fit with you
>expect them to trust you with their sense of self
>somehow get angry when they don't

Even as a fat teen I was told to be confident and stand up to bullies. Is it that big of a surprise I never accepted any help from friends and PE teachers alike? I was really terrified to admit how bad, ugly and shit I felt.

I do regret rejecting certain offers now which could've given me years of headstart but at least I managed to "convince" my classmates I was happy, kind and confident albeit lazy...
>>
File: The-Scarecrow-1[1].jpg (49 KB, 700x576) Image search: [Google]
The-Scarecrow-1[1].jpg
49 KB, 700x576
>>34850732
Nice strawman.
>>
>>34850554

Why do these people keep making fucking excuses?

Do they not realize how fucking stupid they sound? You either fucking do it or you don't.

My friend keeps making excuses when I help him go on a diet.

>Okay, to lose weight efficiently you're going to have to go on a proper diet, follow a exercise regiment, and keep a food log of what you're eating and a exercise log of how many weights you lifted and how long you did your cardio
>Understand this progress is going to be slow, but once you get into the habit of it you will lose weight if you just keep it up and push yourself, you will eventually grow to love it
>show him food log sheets, apps for his phone, shit like that to help
>"My gf said I wasn't spending enough time with her so I had to drop the gym and the dieting stuff so I can go eat with her and fuck, my friend told me if I just do some cardio every day I should be good"
>his gf is a landwhale

Fucking fat women holy shit.
>>
>>34851154
Have another friend that thinks not eating junk food but continuing to eat sweets, and eating out still will reduce weight...

I've given up at this point, I won't even tell people at work what I eat/my intakes as they'll listen to part of it and then fuck themselves up by focusing on one bit. I haven't been able to convince them gluten free is a dumb maymay
>>
>>34851487
>I haven't been able to convince them gluten free is a dumb maymay
They'll all forget about it in a year or so, regardless.
>>
>>34842865
It's the opposite, fat people are like alcoholics or drug addicts who try to drag others down with them. Fat people who marry normal people will make their spouse fat. Obesity might as well be a contagious disease.
>>
>>34849178
This so much. I had my Nan tell me that eating healthy is bullshit while she continues to drink 8 cups of coffee a day loading herself with cookies covered in sugar and looking like a overgrown marshmellow. It's particularly hurtful when you love them and watch them slowly kill themselves due to nothing but their own delusions and hating themselves but there isn't shit you can do about it, she's a real nasty bitter piece of work that one.
>>
>>34842803
I've tried, but at the end of the day, it's up to them.
>>
>>34853619
>who try to drag others down with them
that has nothing to do with obesity, and everything to do with personality. it's just that obesity is a great way to breed misery and misery loves company.
>>
File: ugh5.jpg (24 KB, 508x448) Image search: [Google]
ugh5.jpg
24 KB, 508x448
>>34848954
>>34849178
It is quite amazing how common this is. I know two girls at my work who occasionally bike and run, but will continuously eat sugar and fat. Then complain that they look too fat. Do they have to reach rock bottom to become conscious?
>>
>>34842803
yes and I will never do it again because people are fucking morons with no self discipline and it's not worth my time to try and save them from early death/illness/depression

They don't deserve it anyway

why the fuck would I waste my time educating them after the first time?

I know a fat fuck who I convinced to come lift with me once, we did an easy as fuck workout because I didn't want to push him too hard, we actually had a really good time, talked about stuff we liked etc as we worked out

next time I was gonna go he makes up some excuse 20 minutes after we were supposed to meet

next time, he didn't show up or give an excuse after 30 minutes, so I just stopped talking to him

about a year later he begged me to help him get /fit/ as he was really into some girl

I told him to go fuck himself if he could find his dick under his huge belly. Hope he suffers and dies young.
>>
>>34849130
>cardio
>cutting out shitty food
desu the best ways to lose weight if calorie counting is a part of that
lifting won't make you lose weight in comparison to the massive amounts of calories burned through cardio
>>
File: image.jpg (82 KB, 600x448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
82 KB, 600x448
Whenever people ask me how to lose weight I tell them "starvation and pain" with a smile.
>>
Today there were these 2 guys maybe in their 30's maybe that had clearly no idea what they were doing, one almost went into snap city when he tough he could do skullcrushers with 50kg as a first timer. Dont know if i should have said anything. Also im just 21 so dont know how they would have reacted.

Do you correct older people fit or let them learn the hard way?
>>
>>34842900
Not OP but in my case people asked me to help them lose weight and when I'd try and train them they'd get mad or only came once and never showed up again. Waste of my time.
>>
>>34856301
If you are clearly more fit (therefore more knowledgeable about fitness) there should be no problem.
>>
>>34842803
no, but when people start asking me for advice i'll know i'm on the way to making it. my advice will be shit and i'll make up excuses not to help, but it will still make me happy.
>>
Opposite happened and I regret it. Friend wanted to get fit and me and a other one of my mates at the gym who didn't know him started making fun of how weak he was. He never came to the gym again.
>>
>>34842803
My brother
He goes to the gym with me but he just doesn't stop eating garbage so even if he gets strong, he doesn't lose all that fat
>>
>>34849166
Setup was good, but way too critical of yourself sempai
Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.