[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which Greek hero of antiquity do you aspire to make yourself
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 112
Thread images: 30
File: th-2.jpg (64 KB, 677x750) Image search: [Google]
th-2.jpg
64 KB, 677x750
Which Greek hero of antiquity do you aspire to make yourself likened unto, both in aesthetics and philosophy?

Theseus master race here
>>
Hektor, although he was Trojan, not Greek. Guardian of his city, had a loyal qt wife, was good father, died honorably facing a foe he knew he couldn't beat.

Not a bad life.
>>
>>34841766
Sisyphus actual materrace here. Fuck off untermensch faggots
>>
>>34841815
His child was tossed from the walls of Troy with all the other Trojan children when the Achaeans sacked the city, and his wife was raped and taken as a concubine by his enemies. Might have been a honorable life for you, but your family and your home are brutalized by savages
>>
>>34841766

So tell me OP, what was the philosophy of Theseus?
>>
>>34841815
>get your corpse dragged around your city bare ass naked in the dirt
>enemy army burns your city
>rapes your wife and murders your infant son
>>
>>34841879
He did his best against unbeatable odds breh, not sure what else you want from him.
>>
>>34841895
Brave prince that put his life in danger to save his bros from being Minotaur's protein gains
>>
>>34841879
>>34841925
Also have to keep in mind that, for all intents and purpose, the Trojans were winning and would have won if not for divine precepts. They only lost the war because they were fated to.

Hector > Achilles.

Still aspire to be Odysseus though. Tenacious, clever, witty. Toured the world (however unintentionally). Rules an island, has a loyal wife and son back home, and still gets Calypso and Circe on the side for a few years. Favourite of Athena.
>>
>>34842052
Trojanfag plz.
Achilles was invincible. He could have ended the war even sooner if be gave a fuck
>>
>>34841895
The journey of Theseus into the labyrinth to face the minotaur is an allegory for the soul of man looking inward into his own unconscious mind and overcoming his lower, beastial nature, ascending out of the labyrinth fully embodying his higher nature. He would then return to Athens where he would found the Acropolis and bring about the social and political unification of Attica as King, innovations in civilization that would be the model for future states such as Rome.

The lair of the Minotaur in the context of mythology was located on Crete, the island that Zeus himself was born and raised on, where he left a lineage of Kings to rule after him, and the island where he took Europa in the form of a bull to rape her. The Minotaur is the physical manifestation of this animalistic nature of Zeus's blood

The myth of Theseus is set during a decisive time in Greek history that saw the transition from the previous archaic age ruled by an antiquated social and religious tradition to the new age ushered in by Theseus and Athens. King Minos of Crete was the figure head of this antiquated social and religious order, and his seed producing the Minotaur is an expression of how degenerated his line had become. The journey of Theseus saw him over turning the archaic traditions of Greece like ritual human sacrifice throughout the land, finally ending with him slaying the Minotaur, the heart of the beastial lower nature of man that still ruled the lands of Greece.
>>
>>34841950
More like retroactively be turned into a sham of Athenian propaganda because Spartans are supposedly descended from Heracles and that just won't do.
>>
ajax. strong as fuark ,best warrior only bad side is he died like a faggot
>>
File: zyzz and bro.jpg (66 KB, 720x616) Image search: [Google]
zyzz and bro.jpg
66 KB, 720x616
Why wasn't this the first post?
>>
>>34841925
Nothing, it's just that the brutality Hector had to face at the hands of Achilles and the Greeks frightens me
>>
>>34842080
>Achilles was invincible.
>Except for that spot on the foot where Thetis held onto him so she could immerse him in the Styx.

That's Statius, fair enough, but still: Homer's Achilles is a little bitch. Feels insulted by Agamemnon and instead of kicking his bitch ass, he goes off and sulks for half the book until his fuccboi gets killed (despite muh Briseis).

At least Hector is never seen as a pussy, even despite being slaughtered by a butthurt Greekfag.
>>
>>34842106
He died performing a ritual suicide like the samurai did. Falling on your sword is a good death
>>
>>34842085
Winner's historical revisionism.
>>
File: Diomedes.jpg (311 KB, 1628x2624) Image search: [Google]
Diomedes.jpg
311 KB, 1628x2624
Diomedes

>Throws a boulder that hits Aeneas, crushing his hip bone
>Moves in for the spear kill
>Aphrodite herself appears and shields Aeneas with her arm
>Furious, Diomedes stabs her instead
>Ares reinforces the Trojans
>He retreats, then rides back in a chariot with Athena and stabs him through the stomach

>Known for his ability to handle the bantz
>Worshiped in post-war Greece and Italy as the perfect embodiment of traditional heroism without hubris

His symbol was the boar, which is also my favourite meat.
>>
>>34842154
Hector got of easy. He died in glorious single combat and his body was never actually desecrated despite Achilles' victory laps dragging it around behind him. His body maintained its perfect integrity for Priam to pick up and honour with proper burial rites.

What happened to the other Trojans during the sack... yeah sucks to be them.

>>34842255
Mah nigga.
>>
>>34842159
You have to understand anon, Achilles was a demigod fated to be even greater than Zeus himself. Up until the beginning of the Iliad, the Greeks had taken 11 of the Trojan cities leading up to the walls of Troy itself, most of this success thanks to Achilles. He was only there because he was fated for eternal glory in this war, at the cost of his own mortal life. He wasn't there for Agamemnon, and wasn't going to take any disrespect for him, especially when he was giving up everything for this war.

You're trying to minimize the rage of Achilles, but his rage was written as the divine wrath of the Gods, with Achilles butchering half of the Trojan army single handedly like sacrificial animals as they dropped their swords and fled before him, choking the river Xanthus with their mutilated bodies and permeating it's waters with blood
>>
>>34842255
>stabs aphorodite instead
A L P H A
L
P
H
A
>>
greekfag here

It really amazes me how all of you guys who are forreign know our history / mythology much better than the average Greek.

If I go outside now and ask 10 random people who Ajax was, 8 of them wouldn't know the answser.
>>
>>34841766
Alexander the Great. His cultural influence is unrivaled and he was well on his way to take China before he got poisoned in India.

We owe almost every aspect of western culture to the homie.
>>
>>34842255
His bronze shield engraved with a boar bearing its tusks was an heirloom from his father Tydeus, who was from Calydon, a land who's people are personified by a raging boar. He was known for his participation in the ill fated campaign of the Seven Against Thebes, the largest military campaign of the Greeks prior to the Trojan war, where he was among their most powerful warriors and the favorite of Athena, before he lost her favor in his dying moments when he bashed open the head of the Theban captain that mortally wounded him and gnawed on his brains while he was still living
>>
>>34842312
It's because it's taught in that disgusting oppressive public education system. The (healthy) natural defense is to erase everything from memory and hate school
>>
>>34842117
because we are not a pack of hooting illiterate nubians
>>
>>34842312
People rarely appreciate their native culture.
>>
>>34842338
VERTICALLY CHALLENGED
>>
>>34842338
> almost every aspect

you are not a clever man are you
>>
>>34842255
But he has no nose! He can't smell flowers and shit.
>>
File: 3759378-achilles+(troy).jpg (568 KB, 1372x1920) Image search: [Google]
3759378-achilles+(troy).jpg
568 KB, 1372x1920
>>34841766
Achilles was the best
>>
>>34842284
Casting aside the shitposting insults for a moment, there's a lot to discuss when it comes to heroes in the Trojan war. I'm most well versed in Homeric epic so that's where the bulk of my knowledge comes from.

I don't admire Achilles so much for precisely those reasons (being a divine agent and a victim of fate on the one hand, and being broody and sulking over perceived slanders on the other hand). The Heroic code of honour is might = right. On that basic, the entire first half of the Iliad plays out in a truly surprising way. Achilles is truly the greatest of the greeks; Agamemnon shoulda been BTFO in the first book on that basis alone.

Achilles as a heroic figure is most fascinating out of combat. In the Iliad, when he responds to the pleas of Odysseus, Ajax, and Phoenix to rejoin the fight, and in the Odyssey, when Odysseus speaks to his shade and we truly see how he feels about his mortal fame and the good it does him in death.
>>
>>34842271
Achilles also dragged the body of Hector up to the Greek soldiers and let them stab it maliciously, but other than that, the God's prevented his body from decaying or being eaten by wild animals.

Hector's story really is tragic as fuck though. He is one of the few good men in the entirety of the Iliad, only fighting to defend his home and family, and for this, he and his home are subjected to such immense savagery and horror that we're still talking about it thousands of years later
>>
>>34842398
>Achilles was the best faggot
here, seems like you mistyped.
>>
>>34842338
>well on his way to take China

You have no idea what you are talking about.
>>
>>34842434
U mirin warrior skills breh
>>
Haephestus, cuz you know.. winnk wink
>>
Menelaus.
>>
>>34842415
That's the tragedy of Achilles. In his heart, he's a poet who is content with playing his lyre while Patroclus contemplates upon his form, living a long mortal life with a family and some land.

Ultimately, he sacrifices this man he could become and this mortal life to the Gods and reaches a state of transcendence in his rage, becoming instead an instrument of divine wrath.

Achilles is written with such a mournful despair that it makes the entirety of the story so much more powerful emotionally
>>
>>34842598
>Let's thousands of people die because your wife ran off with another man and you couldn't get her back by yourself
>>
Heracles.
>>
>>34842614
Where do you get all these info fitbro?
>>
I will be rolemodel of my own in future's history, so myself.
>>
>>34842658
I am not he, but diligently reading the texts (Iliad and Odyssey) is a good place to start. From there, try some of the Tragedians for novel and fascinating takes on the Trojan cycle.
>>
File: image.jpg (71 KB, 935x858) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
71 KB, 935x858
Elagabalus
>>
>>34842658
I take a lot of amphetamines and obsessively read Greek mythological writings from various sources, which stimulates my imagination and paints a sweeping landscape mural of these figures and their conflicts in my mind. I just have a lot of free time and an active imagination.

Here's the Iliad that I like to read
http://www.theoi.com/Text/HomerIliad1.html
>>
>>34841766
Fucking atlas
>>
>>34842811
why are there dragons?
>>
>>34842811
You don't belong here Ayn Rand fag. We don't play that Titan shit, it's only the progeny of the Olympians in this thread
>>
>>34842761
How do the amphetamines help? Do they reduce anxiety?
>>
>>34842910
They make me feel like Apollo himself shot a radiant arrow of his light into my mind from a balcony of the palace of Olympus, driving back the darkness of the hidden serpent Python
>>
File: Objectivist1.jpg (225 KB, 697x1024) Image search: [Google]
Objectivist1.jpg
225 KB, 697x1024
>>34842811
My nigga
>>
>>34843042
Nice. I may try it. Anxiety fucks up my concentration and I literally can't do any task other than mechanical physical movements.
>>
Diogenes
>>
>>34841766
Tiresias.

Not really a hero, but had pretty cool stories.
I like the mentor/counsellor position.

Plus, being a seer and surviving a tremendous amount of shit, and seing Athena naked (worth losing sight).
>>
>>34843590
Athena had a flat, square man body. It would be like seeing Buck Angel naked
>>
File: mendelsohn_1-052313.jpg (282 KB, 950x606) Image search: [Google]
mendelsohn_1-052313.jpg
282 KB, 950x606
Herakles was looking swole and strong, and I like his mindset of getting things done no matter the obstacles.
I'd have smashed my brother's face with my mighty club after finishing the 12 tasks tho.
>>
File: 1350945869797.jpg (311 KB, 923x1200) Image search: [Google]
1350945869797.jpg
311 KB, 923x1200
>>34843669
I could still say I did. Uptight bitch.
>>
>>34841766
My ancestors are from a planet that the Greeks used to worship.
I only aspire to be myself though
>>
>>34843755
You're from Jupiter?
>>
>>34842398
He had weak calves, anon.
Something I think we can all relate to
>>
>>34842255
>Be a greek manlet
>work hard as fuck and never give up
>hot ass goddess gives you powers
>fuck bitches on and off the battlefield
dude was cash
>>
>>34842172
Yeah but he could have achieved much more
>>
>>34844715
The end of the Trojan war marked the end of the Heroic age, the roughly six generations of demigods and their struggles against monsters and villains. Ajax was a man of antiquity, born to live the heroic life of an age that was now passing into history. This is in contrast to Odysseus, who was firmly a man of the modern age and it's ideals, and to whom the armor of Achilles was granted, a sign consecrating the new heroic ideals of the Greeks.

Ajax's suicide was the same as a samurai committing hara kiri to die with their age rather than assimilate into the modern world
>>
>>34842875
A large, many headed dragon protects the golden apple tree, which is close to Atlas. The artist took some liberties with the myth when drawing that picture.

How'd you guys get into Greek mythology? I remember reading the Percy Jackson novels on a long drive to a family reunion and getting a book from my uncle when we got there.
>>
File: templeillus.jpg (340 KB, 1371x889) Image search: [Google]
templeillus.jpg
340 KB, 1371x889
>>34844864
I've always been a massive history fag and nostalgic for the Era of classical antiquity. It probably started from these illustrated books on ancient civilizations like this
>>
>>34844062
Not personally
But my people came from Saturn
>>
>>34841766
Odysseos/Ulyses, you know, the guy from the odyssey.

He enraged, fooled, befriended, fucked, etc. alot of gods, he abandoned (and cheated on) his wife for years and didn't get keked.
>>
>No Agamemnon
Who /wánax/ here?
>>
File: 6734573.jpg (149 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
6734573.jpg
149 KB, 768x1024
>no Hercules
fucking hipsters
>>
>>34842255
GOAT. But since when is /fit/ so well versed in Homer's epics?
>>
>>34845495
That's Heracles you latinised pig
>>
>>34845180
>Getting keked and then killed by your wife
No thanks
At least your son and daughter turned out to be good though
>>
>>34842449
He would have ran through India and presumably would have continued to conquer if his men would continue to go eastward with him
>>
>>34845546
There's at least one fitizen ITT that knows his shit very well. I like this board
>>
>>34844062
No, from Uranus
>>
File: 3512356.jpg (20 KB, 339x360) Image search: [Google]
3512356.jpg
20 KB, 339x360
>>34845546
MA in Classics here. I worked on Augustan poetry but I also dabbled in Homeric epic (have read all of the Iliad and Odyssey in Greek)

... I've wasted the best years of my life.
>>
>>34842176
It's a myth
>>
>>34846680
>I've wasted the best years of my life
Fear not, anon, for you still have the worst years of your life to waste.
>>
>>34844864
>How'd you guys get into Greek mythology?

Age of mythology. Fucking GOAT rts.
>>
>Not choosing Odysseus
loyal to his banging hot wife
wife is loyal
cute dog
awesome son
did cool shit
resisted a semen demon
wise
stronk
>>
File: e-bernini_proserpina.jpg (117 KB, 790x1122) Image search: [Google]
e-bernini_proserpina.jpg
117 KB, 790x1122
>not choosing hades mode
>>
File: 3526262369.jpg (18 KB, 305x388) Image search: [Google]
3526262369.jpg
18 KB, 305x388
>>34847104
>Odysseus resisted a semen demon

You what? He was railing Circe for a year and Calypso for at least seven.
>>
File: Kratos_Real.png (236 KB, 369x400) Image search: [Google]
Kratos_Real.png
236 KB, 369x400
>>34841766
>>
>>34847376
>bald
>roid rage

plz
>>
>>34847318
Hades always gets a bad rap in media because of the underworld's parallel to Hell, but he was the chilliest of the Greek pantheon. His biggest fault was abducting Proserpina and that's fuck all compared to the shit his brothers always pulled.
>>
>>34848112
He was a goth fuckboy. Hades isn't trill
>>
File: Dionysos_Louvre_Ma87_n2.jpg (3 MB, 1700x3350) Image search: [Google]
Dionysos_Louvre_Ma87_n2.jpg
3 MB, 1700x3350
Can I just be Dionysus and get hammered off wine and fucked up on psychedelics all day?
>>
>>34848112
A lot of the misconception with Hades is because the way the Underworld is constructed as a landscape is replicated quite closely in Dante's Inferno. The Greek conception of the Underworld was a cold dark place filled with spooky ghosts, and when you died you became a ghost like them with Hades as your ghost King.

He's like the Witch King of Amgmar, except he's the judge of the dead and is always on his throne
>>
>>34848673
Maybe a mix between Dionysus and Hercules fucking lions up. A middle ground between the two maybe?
>>
File: ddd.jpg (23 KB, 268x338) Image search: [Google]
ddd.jpg
23 KB, 268x338
demosthenes
>>
Im fucking in love with this thread, and all of you who wrote well educated statements, my god I did not realize fit actually knew about this stuff, sorry it's not productive here but i had to voice my love for u guys.

By the way AoM = GOAT
Also
I vote for heracles because he is sculpted as fuck
>>
File: image.jpg (24 KB, 400x217) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24 KB, 400x217
>>34844864
I got into it in 10th grade of high school English. Really enjoyed learning about it and we took a trip to the Getty.

Also I would pick Odysseus
>invented the Trojan horse
>won Troy
>loyal wife
>didn't get cuked by men trying to get at his wife
>had sex with female gods
>didn't get rekt by prosiden after killing his one-eye friend
>gods talked to him on his way home
>son and him rekt everyone trying to get at his wife
>>
PROSTAGMA!
ETIMOS!
>>
>>34841766
Diogenes to be honest.
>>
>>34841879
Man that's so depressing. I hate the thought of a man's family being raped and murdered. A dead man is helpless to stop it, but damn.
Anyway, I aspire to be Orion. That way the entire universe can admire my gains.
>>
Hephaestus
>Ugly
>Cripple
>Engineer
>Strong upper body
>Asshole Parents
>Built fucking robots
>Built fucking golden and silver lions

very cool guy

>>34848849
suitors absolutely btfo
>>
Heracles

>kills snakes with bare hands while still in cradle
>single handedly sacks Troy
>doesnt like the song a famous musician plays so kills the man with his own instrument
>made loyal gains and fucks mad bitches
>>
OFFICIAL GREEK HERO POWER RANKINGS

1. Hector
2. Odysseus
3. Theseus
4. Hercules
5. Diomedes
6. Achilles (muh glory)

POWER GAP

7. Perseus
8. Jason
9. Bellerophon
10. Meleager
>>
>>34848953
>God of kucks
>>
File: 1446801728042.jpg (32 KB, 447x456) Image search: [Google]
1446801728042.jpg
32 KB, 447x456
Have you ever contemplated on us, on an online board, discussing people who lived some 3000 years ago?

>tfw you will never be mired through eternity
>>
>>34847898
nigga, if you think roids was his source of rage I suggest you dust off your ps3

I suggest I dust off my ps3 too, that was a badass game.
>>
>>34850581
Better still, have you ever considered that whoever the legend of Hercules was based off was so impressive to greekbros that tales were told about him that carried through thousands of years, but if he posted in a CBT he'd probably get called dyel due to lack of gear/technology/knowledge?
>>
File: gilgamesh.jpg (22 KB, 244x299) Image search: [Google]
gilgamesh.jpg
22 KB, 244x299
>>34851585
There are theories that Gilgamesh and Herakles were the same guy. All that's known is a ton of cultures around the Mediterranean/Near East had legends about a huge guy with a club who game no fucks and murdered lions with his bare hands.

I like to believe in that Ur-Hero, some ancient man blessed by genetics and circumstance to be huge, and who started enough shit and did enough crazy things that we're still seeing echoes of those acts.
>>
The boxer at rest.

Fit. Can fight. The perfect specimen.
>>
>>34845495
>tfw you'll never have a 9-pack
>>
>>34842718
I get this.
>>
>>34841766
>Idolizing pedos
Beowulf is the only true man worth admiration.
>>
File: milo2.jpg (11 KB, 218x231) Image search: [Google]
milo2.jpg
11 KB, 218x231
Milo of Croton
>6 Olympic titles
>Ate 20 pounds of meat and 20 pounds of bread a day
>Wasn't born a hero like most of the pussies ITT
>Trained to gain superhuman strength
>Founder of progressive overload

He truly is the god of /fit/
>>
>>34854178
He's the Greek Batman. No superpowers, just a dude who trains harder than everyone else.
>>
File: 1432048415677.jpg (18 KB, 409x377) Image search: [Google]
1432048415677.jpg
18 KB, 409x377
>>34842117
So was he really a manlet?
Thread replies: 112
Thread images: 30

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.