[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Running - 5k
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: waldo.jpg (7 KB, 205x245) Image search: [Google]
waldo.jpg
7 KB, 205x245
Last year I set a 5k personal record of 17:43
I'm now lagging behind in the upper 18's .
Any advice on how to get back down faster ?
>>
Run faster.
>>
just finished couch to 5k and I'm at 26 minutes. how long until I break 20?
>>
>>34553215
What is your current weekly mileage? How often are you doing workouts?
>>
where the running bros at?
>>
About 40 miles per week six days a week.
>>
>>34554348

I'm interested in getting my mileage up to that level(I'm at like 9 a week). What is the best way to add mileage in order to not fuck your shit up. Also what are your lifts like at 40 miles a week, assuming you lift.
>>
ex crosscountry fag here. Finally left that shit after senior year of highschool because i looked like a spooky skeleton. Anyway I though I plateaued around 17:30. I started learning about nutrition and instead of eating anything i wanted in a shitty diet, I started eating a lot more carbs. the vast majority of my calories came from carbs--like almost 85%. I ate shit tons of oatmeal and bananas. just a week after carbing the fuck up I hit 16:45 at my next race on the course I always do. Made my way down to 16:15 and didn't make much progress after that. Genetics maybe?

Either way, carbs are extremely important. I know /fit/ hates them because >muh diabetes. But when you're running 40-60 miles a week, it doesn't fucking matter.
>>
I hear one must use legs.
>>
Interval training
Adequate recovery time
Proper nutrition, i.e.: enough protein to recover from workouts, enough complex carbs to provide energy
>>
Accept your quickly approaching death, baby boomer.
>>
>>34553215
tempo twice a week, make sure you're at the right pace
keep a good pace on your weekly long run.
keep easy runs easy
double up on workout days

>>34553556
dunno, maybe like a month?
weekly milage? how long have you been running?
>>
>>34554547
>weekly milage? how long have you been running?

I'm at 9 miles a week and I just finished couch to 5k last week. I've been running for 3 months because I took the program pretty slow at first.
>>
>>34554616
OK cool. You're gonna get a lot faster then! I'm not sure how many days a week you're running right now but I'd say your next step would be building up 2 main things over the next few weeks.
1. You're going to want to try to start working up your easy and fartlek runs up to 30ish minutes.
2. You should also look to build a "long run" day into your schedule, working up to 5 or 6 miles over the course of the next few weeks. Eventually you can separate this into 2 then 3 days of different types of workouts but getting at least 1 day of a 45 minute to 1 hour run is going to increase your fitness dramatically.

Congrats on your first 5k BTW! You're gonna make it!
>>
I have to do a 5k soon but I'm fat and can't run. I'm not gonna train for it. Will the finish line still be up if I take 40 minutes to finish?
>>
>>34554724
Almost definitely, especially if its a bigger race. We have often have walkers that take over an hour to finish in our local races so you should be just fine
>>
>>34554694

Thanks for the encouragement and the advice. How do you incorporate your lifting with running? Also, I'm running on asphalt right now would it be advisable to make a trip to a track for the fartlek training because all that sprinting seems like a bad idea on asphalt.
>>
>>34554797
When I was running seriously I only lifted 3 times a week on the mornings when I wasn't doubling. I got stronger but put on zero weight, it just doesn't happen when you're putting in 70-80 mile weeks.

Now I lift 5-6 days a week on a 3 day split and have put on almost 40 lbs in the last 3 years. Running is mostly a warmup/recovery exercise now, but I still do a long run on most Sundays. My 5k is almost 2 minutes slower though...

At 9 miles a week you should be OK on the roads, but as you build up over 20 finding some dirt trails would probably be good for your knees and shins, a track really wont make too much of a difference
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.