[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What can you guys tell me about meditation?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: meditation_muscle.jpg (86 KB, 593x216) Image search: [Google]
meditation_muscle.jpg
86 KB, 593x216
What can you guys tell me about meditation?
>>
>>34550142
it can't
>>
>>34550142
meditation is an amazing thing to do, if silencing your mind chatter is something you actually want to do.

as far as the implication made by your picture (meditation can induce a more than negligible amount of hypertrophy), the answer to that is a resounding no.

that being said, i think you should look into alan watts' stuff on meditation.

i am starting to get pretty big into vipassana myself. only just started really. can barely get to the point where i silence my mind, then half the time i think "holy shit i did it!" and i have to start all over again.

sam harris has a great book called "waking up" if you want to read about meditation from a more atheistic/scientific perspective (he is a neuroscientist and renown athiest, but he also used to be a drug-addled buddhist hippie when he was young and dumb)
>>
[embed]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RMHHwJ9Eqk[/embed]

speaking of alan watts
>>
>>34550264
your doing it wrong.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RMHHwJ9Eqk
literally just paste the link by itself. it auto-embeds
>>
>>34550313
i don't like when they quote thinks like "Black implies white" out of context, because if you haven't heard the 45 minutes of explanation, it kinda sounds like religious nonsense.

i like to keep his stuff in context, especially when he dives into the metaphysical nonsense.

thankfully he also discusses things quite athiestically to break sane people in gently
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssf7P-Sgcrk

the song is gorgeous, tho
>>
File: Rick-Hanson.jpg (32 KB, 628x427) Image search: [Google]
Rick-Hanson.jpg
32 KB, 628x427
I have practiced for some time now and I feel it has been a wonderful addition to my life. Personally I have a predilection towards rumination and self doubt so for me meditation have worked wonders.
One point of advice, though, is to also focus on what in buddhist psychology is referred to as Bhavana (pali for cultivation). Often the focus in meditation is on the realization that everything is transient and no feeling, thought or sensation is enduring and thus there is no clustering around what you would conventionally refer to as yourself as you take ownership of an inherently transient experience. This is great for dealing with unpleasant events in life which is good as these are normally abundant; it does, however, not help cultivate "wholesome" factors and feelings of personal worth. Essentially you only learn to be with the mind, not to work with it. My personal favorite resource for working with this is "neuro-bhavana" as though by neuro-psychologist Rick Hanson who runs the website http://www.wisebrain.org/ and have also written the, in this case, very relevant book Hardwiring Happiness. Its properly not for everyone but if you're getting into meditation I can't recommend this enough as I think its an essential counterpart to the practice of meditation.
>>
Keep posting. My mind is a cluster fuck of bullshit. I'm into both the metaphysical and non hippy thoughts on meditation.

Where do I start
>>
This is the Mahayana Zen Buddhist Sutra in which they meditate to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ooCodjgjkY

Turn on CC for subtitles.
>>
File: tenzin.jpg (114 KB, 1039x1039) Image search: [Google]
tenzin.jpg
114 KB, 1039x1039
>>34551183
Depends on what you want.
A detailed walk through of neurology and meditation then Rick Hanson's "The Buddha's Brain".
If a scientific and philosophical intro to meditation then Sam Harris' "Waking Up".
Something centered on buddhist psychology with an anecdotal approach then Mingyur Rinponche "Joyful Wisdom" or Tsoknyi Rinponche "Open Heart, Open Mind" or Tenzin Wangyal Rinponche "Awakening The Luminous Mind". If you're into the latter catagory I would personally start with Awakening the luminous mind by Wangyal rinponche. It is rooted in the Bön tradition of Dzogchen but he is very clear and pragmatic in his explanations.
>>
>>34550142
Gmeditation is a great alternative to smoking weed, once you get good at it you can feel high, access parts of ur brain u previously couldnt and it doesn't delay your brains registry of shit
>>
>>34551315
I want clear my mind and fix my problems inside my brain. All of ththat was beyond my comprehension so I'll just read a little bit from everything you said and see what clicks for me
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.