[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Zone out when running, loss of memory?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (70 KB, 600x955) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
70 KB, 600x955
Anyone else completely zone out on a treadmill?

To the point that you don't remember/don't see or feel anything. Your body is just like in autopilot somehow still running, like I'm hypnotized. Then I'll snap out of it and realize 30 minutes has passed by.

And everything I saw or felt for the last 30 minutes simply feel like they didn't exist. At least I don't/can't remember them. And it's strange becuase I don't lose balance or run off the machine.
>>
>>34535771
Zoning out is a genuine sign of autism. Just sayin.
>>
>>34535778
Ya probably. It helps while running through, since I don't get tired or feel cramps as easily
>>
>>34535771
I've only experienced that when I was working high on THC or MDMA .
>>
>>34535771
That's how a lot of candidates get through selection for special operation units. They will "ego disassociate" and basically treat their body as something they're piloting. I was a staff medic for a selection program a number of years ago. During medical evaluations between evolutions, some of the candidates would report not remembering 30 min to an hour of an arduous timed cross country course. Basically zoning out, something notable makes them come-to, they check their watch, their map, and their compass and find that they're not only still on course, but making good time; they can't remember the last few miles of travel.

It seems to happen when the mind needs to distance itself from the body in order to separate itself from the feeling of pain and exhaustion to preserve its higher functions like decision making and awareness.
>>
>>34535785
Kek'd
>>
>>34535826
Interesting, it's definitely a strange experience. And it helps a lot too.
>>
>>34535864
>>34535826
i used to be a collegiate distance runner and it was routine for a lot o us
>>
>>34535883
Does it just kind of happen eventually to you? For me it's not like a switch or instantaneous, but I eventually just kind of fade into it.
>>
I used to zone out a lot when I was younger. Especially when under pressure. I failed a lot of tests in high school because I was just staring at the ceiling and then suddenly the time was up. Or when doing homework. I'd just 'lose' time by the half hours. It doesn't happen like that anymore now that I have my own life.

But doing things on autopilot is just very human. Routined things like driving to work. Even if you drive somewhere else on a saturday, as soon as you turn the first corner, your brain picks up on the pattern and suddenly you're in front of the office.
Not all the time, but yeah, it happens.
>>
I zoned out totally on my first cross country race back in 7th grade, shit was cash
>>
>>34535826
Interesting. I think what's happening to OP is probably just autism though.
>>
>>34535920
yup, i started running in 8th grade but starting around sophmore year anymore that 6miles id zone out
>>
>>34535800
>working out on MDMA
Nigga you want to die of overheating?
>>
>>34535826
I do the pilot thing, but i haven't been to the point of zoning out yet. That has only happened to me while reading a book.

But yeah, the dissociation from body thing, I totally get. I do it all the time while driving. I kinda sorta do it at work (factory). It's a bit of a middle ground. I have to stay focused so I don't pass faulty parts, but I shut off emotions related to time and boredom.
>>
File: image.jpg (23 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
23 KB, 300x300
>>34536064
>>34535800
>>34535771

>not squatting on ketamine
>not running marathons on X
>>
I went for a run yesterday, zoned the fuck out thinking about birds and shit.
next thing I know I've fallen over and smashed my knee on the floor because I wasn't concentrating.

went for a run today.
beat my personal record but now I'm thinking that was a bad idea because my knee is fucking hurting like crazy.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.