[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I never ran before. I'm a 5'11" man and have a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (34 KB, 427x640) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
34 KB, 427x640
I never ran before. I'm a 5'11" man and have a healthy bmi.

I ran today and it was hard. I had to stop numerous times to catch my breath. My legs never got tired, it was just my lungs burning and a cramp in my side.

What happened? Does it get better? I managed to run 2kms under 10 minutes which I think is too fast and I need to slow down?
>>
>>34530240
Fast? No.

It doesn't really get better, you just learn to deal with the discomfort
>>
>>34530240
Yes, it gets better and the cramp is normal for people who don't run that often. Take it slow and easy and build up to it.
>>
>>34530240
eat a banana 15-30m before a run to help with the cramps
>>
>>34530240
breath in through your nose and out through your mouth

it's awkward as fuck at first, but your breathing falls in stride quickly
>>
>>34530286
Holy shit no. Cramps are from fatigue almost 100% of the time. Rarely from dehydration if you hydrate properly. Tbh fam it's probably dehydration and fatigue.
Potassium and cramps is a debunked myth.
>>
>>34530240
That's not too fast. You're just out of shape.
>>
>>34530240
Don't just run without a plan. Do C25k.
>>
>>34530240
Same with me when I started a few years ago, basically yes, you just need to git gud so keep at it. This is how a lot of people feel starting out. Keep running, focus on controlling your breath, and make sure you are running with good form or you'll end up with shin splints like I did.

Also check out this guy's videos, helped me a lot when I first started out and was having cramps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCVSv7UxB2E
>>
>>34530267
>>34530240
What the shit are you talking about?

Yea it gets better, your heart is a muscle, if you've never worked it before it's not going to perform very well the first time. Eventually your body fails before your heart. I ran a marathon a few weeks ago and ran the first 22 miles at 8:10 mile pace without breathing heavy until my knees gave out and I had to walk the rest. Its just like any other muscle, it adapts and calms the f down
>>
>>34530372
Thanks everyone.

I wouldn't say I'm that out of shape. Just been lost in life and haven't exercised as much as I should have. I row and spin bike sometimes - but yeah still generally out of shape.

I will do what you say. I have to do a bike/run race next summer. I have to. Or a triathlon. I have to learn how to swim. Lol. Or maybe I will stick to the duathalon
>>
File: asdf.jpg (31 KB, 400x542) Image search: [Google]
asdf.jpg
31 KB, 400x542
>>34530359
This is good for some and not for others. Everyone falls into discipline a little differently.

Back when I would try to follow strict plans I would very often feel unmotivated and skip days. Then I had a friend tell me "just go out and run a bit", and that worked for me. No plans at first, just run a little every day, no matter what. Even if it's just up and down the street. Some day you'll feel like running for a bit longer and so you should.

Once you build a little bit of stamina and fall into the habit of running at least little everyday, then maybe look into starting a tried and true progress plan like c25k.
>>
>>34530359
Op says he Isn't fat or really out of shape. Couch 2 5k is for fat slobs that can't run for more than a minute. I think op should probably slow down at first, but the important thing is to keep at it.
>>
>I'm a 5'11 man
>I'm a 5'11 manlet
ftfy
>>
>>34530240
So basically you ran for about 10 minutes and then stopped? No that's not good. You'll get better at it though. Just keep running.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.