[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
None of the stickied beginner routines suggest doing ab workouts. Why?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: stevehulk.jpg (166 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
stevehulk.jpg
166 KB, 1280x720
None of the stickied beginner routines suggest doing ab workouts.
Why?
>>
Abs are earned in the kitchen, not the gym.
>>
because doing crunches doesn't give you a 6 pack. all it does is strengthen your core, something that most begginers don't care about
>>
I always thought it was because the main compound movements do enough for your abs when you have noob gains, and you can isolate them later on.
>>
Because squats and deadlifts do plenty for your core already. You can add isolation exercises later on.
>>
>>34504423

You. I like you.
>>
>>34504423
Eating right sheds the fat, but doesn't chisel the muscles like working out does. They work together. Skinny guys don't all have six packs.
>>
Ab isolation is not very important to a beginner. Squats and deadlifts will do enough to strengthen your core at first. Once you progress past beginner routines you can ad in isolation exercises, but it's not necessary to a beginner
>>
>>34504518
>Skinny guys don't all have six packs.

Yep. Also, lots of guys with six packs are scrawny as fuck everywhere else. Once I started lifting I realized how visible abs are really not impressive unless your other muscles are visible as well.
>>
>>34504371
Don't fall for that meme. You should be training abs from day one.
Start off with planks
>>
File: Heil scooby.png (60 KB, 189x271) Image search: [Google]
Heil scooby.png
60 KB, 189x271
>>34504423
That statement is only referring to visibility.
Your abs aren't going to get stronger by lowering your body fat. That's like saying, "Quads are made in the kitchen."

>>34504436
What a beginner cares about doesn't determine what's actually important. If beginners only worked out what they cared about they'd do curls and go home. How is abdominal strength not important?

>>34504449
I really doubt it.
>>
>>34504565
>>34504451
>>34504449

Look, I fell prey to this bullshit.

I went from 235 fat fuck to 165 muscle bro and just did the beginner programs, deadlifts/squats and w/e. I had relatively respectable numbers. Squat was around 285 for 5x5 and deadlift was around 375 for 5x5 so I figured when I lost all my excess weight I would have a nice 6 pack.

Fucking wrong. I lost all that weight to have a baby stomach with only slight definition over what I assumed to be my abs, and I was fucking mortified. After all, what is the point of being really skinny and almost DYEL looking if you don't have abs? So what did I do? I started bulking and hitting abs 2x a week and now even in my fat fuck stage of bulking I have a defined midsection.

Fuck you faggots for telling me all I needed was squat and deadlifts.
>>
>>34504628

This.

Let's see how squats and deadlifts strengthen your "core". What is a "core"? It is not a muscle. Your core—your midsection—consists of several different muscles with different functions; spinal erectors that are tasked with leaning your torso backward, abs that are tasked with leaning your torso forward, obliques that are tasked with moving your torso sideways, and serrati anterior no one gives a shit about.

Let's say that you are doing a deadlift. You are using your spinal erectors to drag the weight up, and your obliques to balance the weight and prevent it from moving sideways. The weight does not move backward, in fact, it is fighting to move forward. You are doing the literal opposite of moving your torso forward, hence using your abs. You only use your abs to keep your torso straight, and create an abdominal tightness. The ab involvement here is minimal.

The same thing with back squats. The weight is pushing you forward. You do not use it as a secondary muscle, only as a tertiary muscle. If you are doing front squats, however, then you indeed are using your abs; the weight is pushing your torso backward, and you are using your abs to push it forward.

Among compound lifts that significantly work the abs are overhead press, power cleans, and front squats; exercises where you try to push your torso forward. I don't think these ones alone are enough for abs, at least not optimal.
>>
File: r_u_srs.jpg (30 KB, 497x512) Image search: [Google]
r_u_srs.jpg
30 KB, 497x512
You're supposed to do SS for like 3 months to develop a base and then move on to something more advanced. Not listening to this advice that has been given countless times is your own fault.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.