[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you work out when you're chronically depressed? inb4
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: xc3wv4.png (189 KB, 385x398) Image search: [Google]
xc3wv4.png
189 KB, 385x398
How do you work out when you're chronically depressed? inb4 exercise releases good chemicals because it does nothing for my dysthymia. I was lifting intensely for a few months but just fell off because I dreaded working out every single day. Discipline only gets you so far. Pic is what I'm regressing towards.
>>
How do you lift when you're depressed? Same way you do when you're not. You go to the gym and move some fucking weight.

That's it.
>>
>>35439966
It's really hard to give advice to depressed people because it's essentially a catch-22.

>find a new hobby, find new experiences
>but! too depressed to try out new stuff

When I was "depressed" I had good days and bad days. On bad days I browsed and shitposted for 18 hours long and on good days I felt upbeat and sort of happy. If you're one of those that also has good/bad days, set a goal when you wake up and feel it's a good day.

Complete your daily goal(s) and you'll start to feel better. Good luck anon.
>>
>>35440000
Yes, but you don't enjoy it. Besides forcing yourself to go there's no additional incentive or drive.
>>35440007
yeah, but I wasn't even happy when my days were full and I was working out 5 days a week. Pretty much anything I do to try to improve my mood seems frivolous. man I need to be on medication lol
>>
>>35439966
You may have low Test.

Or you may be overtraining. Take a few days off and do a light day.
>>
>>35440229
Learn about periodization.
>>
>>35439966
If you don't like lifting, try something else. Try a sport. Maybe swimming, running, biking, basketball, football, something might rev your engine. I can't stand running, it's fucking boring. I look forward to lifting every single time, though. Anything is better than sitting on your ass letting your condition have power over you.
>>
self inflicted gunshot wounds till failure
>>
>>35439966
As someone with dysthymia and major depressive disorder since I was a little kid, the only advice I can give to you is to just get to the gym.
Lifting isn't going to make you feel "happy", even after several years of training and having a respectable body, but you will feel better looking better and being able to do more.

If you don't have any drive, just imagine the 45min-2hrs as more entertaining than sitting at your desk and just seeing the same threads on 4chan.

Everything is boring and sucks, but at least you'll be able to be slightly proud of what you've done with your body.

If in the end, you still don't want to go back to the gym, ask yourself why you started this thread. Life isn't very fun, but there are small things that can make it more tolerable.
>>
Does anyone else experience anxiety attack from time to time? How do you deal with them?
>>
>>35439966
I have something like general anxiety disorder, and honestly lifting is the only thing that gives me any sense of self worth. I go 6 days a week because I'm passionate about it, but also because I feel like I have to. Just get off your ass and do it.
>>
>>35440293
Controlled breathing, music, sleep. Eating also helps, so long as you're not overeating.
>>
>>35440291
this is what I needed to hear, thanks. even though your post is pretty fucking bleak it gives me hope, somehow. btw do you ever get any relief from the low pleasure baseline? I've only felt like this for a couple years, though I've had other lifelong issues which are separate.
>>
YOU TAKE AMPHETAMINES UNTIL IT DOESN'T HURT ANYMORE
>>
>>35439966
Vitamin D levels predict depression. Get some fucking sun, man.
>>
>>35440414
>I've only felt like this for a couple years, though I've had other lifelong issues which are separate.

i doubt they really are separate.
chronic depression doesnt come from nothing. theres always a root cause.
>>
>>35440414
Socialization and drugs help in the short term, if you tolerate them well.
I also really like parrots and domesticated birds.
I can't have any pets where I live, but I thoroughly enjoy just laying down on the floor with a bird and playing around. Like tug-o-war with a jumbo sized sunflower seed and stuff like that.
Rock hounding and mining is also something that I've come to enjoy. Something about finding a nice piece of native copper, or things like a native American tool from the paleolithic era.

Explore the things that you think that you could like, and give them a shot. Even if it's making nails at a blacksmith's hut 200miles away from where you live, or picking up a few bob ross tapes and trying to paint. Both of those are kinda silly, but you get what I mean.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.