[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pros/Cons of slow vs fast cutting?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6
File: Sweet pee.png (82 KB, 1007x549) Image search: [Google]
Sweet pee.png
82 KB, 1007x549
I've heard two arguments in regards to how fast you should cut.

Argument 1:
>Cut slowly so you can maintain as much muscle as possible. Keeping calories as high as possible will help preserve strength.

Argument 2:
>Cut quickly so you spend as little time in a deficit as possible. The less time you spend cutting the more time you can spend bulking or maintaining which allows for more progress over time.

Which argument do you think is correct?
>>
File: 1448856262376.jpg (148 KB, 966x817) Image search: [Google]
1448856262376.jpg
148 KB, 966x817
You can also try both and then decide, some people can resist hunger better than others, muscle is not really much lost if you keep exercising.
>>
2 IMO

with heavy lifting, very high protein intake, cutting at only ~1000 calories a day for a short-ish period of time (cycled with carb refeeds and maintenence periods) is totally fine safety wise (with supplemented amino acids, lots of vegetables and electrolyte/mineral supplemente) and muscle loss is minimal.

it's not for everyone though. both slower and faster cuts have their pros/cons and both are very viable options. it's really contextual and even preferential.
>>
>>35427742
Can someone give me advise on this:
I started working out at home in summer and was bulking until a few weeks ago. I've reached a point where I'd need to struggle to get the calories to continue to grow, so I've decided to start to cut now. The problem is, that it's been almost 2 weeks and yet there is almost 0 change in my weight. My lifts are the same.
I keep a good track of my calories and I've not lower the workout intensity.

When I started (during bulk):
78kg
2700 calories per day (except 1 week when i was sick, no apetite at all)

Current:
89kg
Did 2000 cals in first week and now im at 1700.

Should I continue to just count calories and instead of using a weight, measure myself?

Thanks in advance.
>>
>>35428717
you are not an exception from thermodynamics, lets say you were at maintenance at 2000, now 300kcal deficit for 2 weeks makes it like what 4200 kcal, not even half a kg of fat. And that is a lot of assumptions, you might have been at a very minor surplus, some errors in counting, your maintenance is not a fix number, some water retention. Measuring your body weight is not an error free procedure even if you are doing it on empty stomach at the same time every day.

tldr, 2 weeks are nothing, slow and steady wins the race, just keep at it
>>
I've seen a bunch of people on YouTube cut at a snail's pace using like 200 calorie deficits. I wonder if there's an advantage or if this is just the latest fad.
>>
>>35429787
Just a meme. There's no reason to spend more than 2 or 3 months cutting if you're not overweight.
>>
>>35427742
Argument 1.
>>
File: bump boobs.png (117 KB, 680x509) Image search: [Google]
bump boobs.png
117 KB, 680x509
>>
File: 0361 - ff5gumH.png (24 KB, 492x475) Image search: [Google]
0361 - ff5gumH.png
24 KB, 492x475
>>35427742
Fast cutting brehs

>tfw 11kg down in 40 days while maintaining all strength

mfw I'm gonna make it and so will you
>>
File: babe.jpg (268 KB, 1391x1886) Image search: [Google]
babe.jpg
268 KB, 1391x1886
>>35427742
Fast cutting. Keep your protein intake high, do cardio, and lift heavy.

You'll be bangin in 8-12 weeks as opposed to 6 months
>>
>>35427742
Honestly, I've got no clue. I've researched this shit as much as possible, and all I can really find is anecdotes. I've heard some people say that a ~1k deficit at above 20% BF is perfectly acceptable, while others yell and scream about the amount of muscle wastage.

It's probably down to how you, individually, physiologically respond to a caloric deficit.
>>
What about just recomping? How do you even do it? Is it just a slow cut or eating at maintenance?
>>
>>35433635
Recomp is just eat your normal maintenance cals then throw some cardio on top of it 3x a week

>inb4 semantics
>>
>>35433645
Isn't that just a slow cut? I thought recomping involved maintaining weight.
>>
>>35433635
I associate recomping with leangains-style intermittent fasting: have a 20% calorie excedent on training days, 20% deficit on rest days. And break the fast after going to the gym.

This way you direct most of the calorie excedents towards muscle building and most of the calorie deficits towards fat burning.
I'm not recomping now tho so idk
>>
>>35428678
>refeeds
Kill yourself.
>>
If youre cutting go all out for me i was at a 500-1000 cal deficit running 1 hr every morning before work, then doing a PPL with 6 days rest on the 7th. Used dip to stave off hunger. Drank 2 gallons of water a day. Ran IF 8 on 16 off.
Nothing you fat fucks are capable of.
>>
>>35433635
Recomping isnt a n actual thing its broscience for retards.
>magically turn your fat into muscle
You do that by getting cut
>>
>>35433645
recomp has to involve a slight deficit, which you would get from throwing in a low amount of cardio
>>
>>35434365
What's wrong with refeeds?
>>
>>35436812
There a meme
>>
This is relevant to my interests, I have stuck to a meal plan and a 4xWeekly lifting routine complete with 4 mile bike ride (to gym and back). My Tdee is averaged between 3200-3500 depending on website; 6'4", currently 203lbs. Trying for dat six pack /aesthetics/.

My impatience is real and I don't know if it's working. I eat 1990 calories a day and 235 grams of protein to maintain muscle. Today though I worked out hard and worked so I'm eating 2700 and 300 protein.

Send help will I see my abs ever
>>
>>35427742
Dan John would like you to pick a goal and stick to it.

https://www.t-nation.com/powerful-words/goal-setting-for-hard-asses
>>
>>35439650

How is this relevant? I already have a goal and intend to accomplish it.

I'm just asking what the best way to go about it is.
>>
You won't lose much muscle at all even on a massive 1000+ calorie a day deficit provided you keep your protein intake high and lift enough weight. You'll lose less with a smaller cut but it will take 2-5x longer which is time you could be doing a small bulk which would more than make up for the minimal losses.

Cut big, eat big, always work hard.
>>
there was a case study relatively recently that showed aggressive short-term cutting best for overall fat loss & muscle retention.
>>
>>35441402
Do you have a link?
>>
>>35434410
>magic
Wew lad I know some people don't understand thermodynamics but kind of a stretch to call it magic
>>
So if you weigh 320lbs and wanna get fit how would you do it?
>>
File: 1451119435851.png (131 KB, 494x606) Image search: [Google]
1451119435851.png
131 KB, 494x606
>>35441487
>>
>>35441487
By reading the sticky you fat shit.
>>
>>35441507
I've read the sticky it doesn't make much sense.
>if you want to lose weight lift weights
>if you want to gain weight lift weights
Lifting weights is bulking is it not? Lifting weights and eating more. Then I read the threads and people talk about cutting, which is losing weight and eating less. It's a little confusing for me.
>>
>>35441543
>bulking = eating more than your TDEE
>cutting = eating less than your TDEE

You lift regardless of whether you're trying to put on or lose weight. Find yourself a beginner strength program (like SS, SL or ICF 5x5). Stick to that program. Download a calorie app, track your caloric intake religiously. Throw in cardio.

Enjoy your new body and life in ~6-12 months.
>>
Fast. The quicker you see progress the more motivated you'll be to stick to it.
>>
>>35441582
Thanks for not being an asshole. I know I'm a fat shit, I'm trying to change that. I'm down to what I am now from 440lbs 3+ years ago.
>>
>>35441604
You may be a fat shit now, but at least you're willing to make a change. That separates you from 99% of the other fatties out there.

Don't overthink this, it's very straight forward and simple. You go into a gym, you lift weights you leave. Couple that with good nutrition and you're pretty much set.

Good luck bro and congrats on your progress. You're going to make it.
>>
>>35441634
For the past three months I have been lifting light weights and using a recumbent bike sometimes. I was going to join a gym but might weight until next month (don't really have the funds right now), however I did order a slant bench and some heavier dumbbells and they should arrive tomorrow. I will look into those programs though. Thanks again.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.