[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Boxing Basic Requirements
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 2
File: download (2).jpg (9 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
download (2).jpg
9 KB, 259x194
I would like to take up boxing.

However, I am too autistic to risk humiliating myself.

What are some good lifting goals that will mean I wont embarrass myself it I try boxing?

What bench, squat, 5K speed etc am I looking for?
>>
if you are legit autistic (and judging by this thread it sounds like you are) you are going to embarrass yourself regardless because you will have poor motor skills and will want to quit the first time someone hits you back.

boxing is much more about technique and toughness than it is about strength.
>>
>>32260078
You don't need any of those to box

In fact the stiffness and being swolle as fuck would make it more embarassing to be a beginner because people who box often make fun of swole as fuck guys who can't punch for shit.
>>
Can I lift weights and box at the same time?
>>
>>32260141
>>32260134

So how can I imrpove at boxing without, y;know, boxing?

Just something to get me started is all Im looking for...
>>
>>32260193
there are plenty of lessons on youtube

having a heavy bag will help

you're still going to be absolute shit until you get real training with an opponent
>>
>>32260134
This.

Just give it a try and take a few lessons, the if you're really in to it you can always start lifting if you feel the need for more strength.
But you'll also be doing a lot of calistethics (or howover you spell that) which will get you a nice base
>>
>>32260193
You're like the guys who decide not to squat because they run.

If you want to improve your boxing, box.
>>
>>32260193
i'd just get decent cardio so i could get through the entire workout that they're going to assign to you as a beginner
>>
Your question regarding how much you should bench, squat etc. is irrelevant. Sure, try and get stronger, but boxing is alot more about technique and practice than just pure strength.

You will probably make a fool of yourself at the start, and how you handle that defeat is what's crucial in if you will become good or not. Most people give up and quit, or you ignore it and just go on.

It's not your bench, squat or whatever that's holding you back, it's you.
>>
>>32260258

Cool - I'll look into it.

>>32260274

Its more of a social anxiety - I dont like embarassing myself. When I started lifting, about 2 weeks in a overloaded the bar a dropped it on myself. I was so embarrased I switched gyms, just to give you an idea of the depths of my autism.

Its not that I cant handle the pain/effort, just that I cant handle other's judgement.
>>
>>32260193
I think you should just go for it, man. You can lift weights and do cardio on your own, but you won't learn any of the finer mechanics of how to position your body and throw the various types of punches and combos. You will only learn that through rigorous hands on training with a good instructor.

Good trainers are used to working with people with no experience, and they will help you get better with minimal embarrassment. You need to accept that you won't be good from the start and just get through it. If you are enthusiastic and enjoy the time doing it, that will speak louder than your fitness or skill.
>>
>>32260368

Can you get 1 on 1 training? Is that stupid? Should I try and overcome my autism and do a group class?
>>
>>32260437
>Should I try and overcome my autism and do a group class?
no anon you should remain a sperglord for life that sounds real fulfilling and fun
>>
>>32260501

Goddamnit I didnt come here for perspective, I came here for easy solutions to avoid my deeper problems.

For fuck's sake, /fit/...
>>
>>32260078
>lets get good at swimming without having to actually jump in the pool!
thats what you and your bitch tits sound like you faggot.
>>
>>32260539

I did something similar with running - I used to be unable to run 600m, but I made sure I could run at least 1.5K before I joined a running class.

I dunno, I just... don't like people seeing me fail at things.
>>
>>32260578
>joined a running class.

u wot m8
>>
>>32260578
then quit school you little bitch.

Why are you such a little bitch and have to worry about what other fucks think about your bitch ass? Is it because you are a bitch? If so, who gives a fuck? Even if people think you are a bitch or not, will that change the way things are currently? No, so just go out there and quit being a bitch, you bitch.
>>
>>32260169

yes. every professional boxer is lifting weights.
>>
>>32260631

Well, it was one of those retarded thingies designed for people trying to enlist in the army. But I only attended the running days - I don't wanna be in the army.

>>32260637

Right. Gotcha. Will do.
>>
>>32260169
yes just don't make it a priority if you wanna be competitive. cardio is much more important. i would lift once or twice a week heavy compound lifts.
>>
>>32260327
>Its not that I cant handle the pain/effort, just that I cant handle other's judgement.

No body cares. In this case it's a good thing.
>>
>>32260078

There is a certain amount of conditioning required, mostly endurance. But the best thing you can do is to just do it.
>>
Word of advice from someone who's humiliated himself plenty of times. You're going to be humiliated no matter what that shit just happens man. It's called humility and it's a lesson we all have to learn. Loosen up a bit and just live and learn.
>>
>>32260578

Neither did I, but the people in your gym won't give a shit. You are new meat, food for the guys that are trying to make a living. They will not give a shit about you.

If you come back after the 1st time you get your ass handed to you, then they will start paying attention. They will start training you either to compete, or to get you capable enough to give their main guys some competent training partners.

Also, if you do compete, fans fall into 2 categories: other boxers and people who want to see you bleed and die.

Such is life.
>>
>>32260078
5k? For boxing? You should be preparing for a 26 mile marathon.
>>
Dont ask imageboards you fuckwit, go to a boxing gym.
Forget about lifting as well, its benefits will not help you in boxing.
The entire point of going to a gym is to get better, so you should find a full contact sparring gym and sign up asap.
If that really scares you too much and you want to prep, you should be able to do pretty intense cardio for at least an hour, and id say 30 good pushups and 30 bodyweight squats. Thats all
After that its all technique and conditioning.
>>
>>32262255

I would recommend 3 minute sprints with 30s/1m walk breaks, repeated 3-5 times if he's going to do amateur.
>>
Will boxing make me dumber? I don't want to harm my IQ just to let some guys hit me in the head.
>>
>>32262278
squats and deadlifts help alot with punching power you little bitch. Dont tell op to stop lifting, thats the gayest fucking thing ive heard anyone say to another guy, you little bitch
>>
>>32262331

Yes, if you get hit in the head enough. Punch drunk is a thing.

Learn to slip and duck. Fast.
>>
>Can i get good at boxing without boxing
I heard people here were dumb but wtf man
>>
>>32262303
>3 minute sprints
>>
>>32262436

I know. Do your best anyway.

Closest thing you're going to get to 3 minutes in the ring.
>>
>>32260078
the thing to do is obviously to stop lifting this very second and instead do intense rope jumping cardio for hours and hours and hours
>>
Hey OP, sorry to hijack thread but I'm looking for a boxer's opinion.

I used to box for fun at a gym and I'm thinking of getting into it a bit more seriously; not amateur or pro (bit old) tbh, but I really just want to become a more skillful boxer cuz I love the sweet science. Anyways just wondering what your leg workouts look like and how often you do them. I've been working on my endurance and so far I've been doing

Running - HIIT/skipping
BW squats 5X30 on the balls of my feet
Lunges 4X26
Hip Thrusts 4X26
Crunches 5X20 (embarrassing, but I'm doing more every time)

And basically I just try to up the reps every workout. I've been taking 1 minute breaks between sets and doing this twice a week.

Disclaimer - I still do a power (as opposed to endurance) workout for my legs about once a week.
>>
>>32262765
squat and deadlifts help a lot with punching power.
It also helps with movement speed when your little bitch ass has to slip.
>>
>>32260657
lol no

Do squats, snatch, clean and jerk. Maybe overhead press. The rest will slow you down.

No boxer does bench press.
>>
>>32262765

I never got beyond amateur in Golden Gloves, so keep that in mind. To many people wanted it way more than I did.

I don't know what to tell you about lifting for boxing. If it adds to body weight, the strength gains had better be worth it.

Stamina is your most important asset in boxing. I'll go out on a limb and say it's even better than technique, since you need stamina to execute proper punches and defense.

If you can slip and evade your opponent the whole match but he gasses out half way through the 3rd round, you'll win. You can work him like a heavy bag, end it quick, or just slap him around.

Doesn't matter; he's done. We need oxygen to fight back.
>>
>>32262992
true true. I realized after gaining like 10 pounds my cardio is shit now and i have trouble just lasting 5 minutes.
But then again, i suck offensively and usually just counter and do a lot of moving. I dunno, i just suck at boxing.
But then again, my sparring partners go 100% speed while i stay 25%. I really dont understand it, its like their bitch ass always gotta one up me for some reason. I dont even give a fuck tho, getting beat up makes me feel better about myself sometimes.
>>
>>32263056

I got tired of getting my ass handed to me by guys who were in it because they wanted to get paid.

I left and joined a Judo team. Night and day. And I liked being on a team for a change.

Still, anyone that steps into the ring (boxing, MMA, whatever) has my respect. It takes courage to walk in there when you could just walk away.
>>
>>32260078
Just go a boxing class/gym. There is nothing you can do do prepare.
>>
>>32262918
I used to bench press with shit form (forward rounded shoulders) and eventually my delts started to hurt so I stopped but I could punch very hard.
>>
>>32260078
Boxing belong on /asp/.
>>
>>32263566
upper body strength has minimal to do with punching power.
Try sitting your bitch ass on a chair and punching. Now try punching on your feet. You will quickly realize how retarded you are and see that most of the power comes from your legs and ass you bitch
>>
>>32260078

Cardio and calisthetics. Isometrics.

Accuracy and speed. Be able to take a hit. Get some training gloves, go at a punching bag at a rate of 120 punches per minute for three minutes at a time, in sets of twelve.

Footwork. Bobbing and weaving. Stop lifting weights, it only slows you down.
>>
File: 1384973910444.jpg (21 KB, 400x309) Image search: [Google]
1384973910444.jpg
21 KB, 400x309
>>32260193
>So how can I imrpove at boxing without, y;know, boxing?

I was gonna give you some tips, OP, but then you had to say shit like this.
>>
>>32260078
You'll learn everything you need down boxing. You're gonna suck when you get down there just like everyone else did when they first walked through the door.

Fitness? You'll get it at boxing

Conditioning? You'll get it at boxing?

I couldn't do a single press up when I first started boxing, 6 years later and they're piss easy.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.