[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Personal trainer here. Got a question you always wanted to ask?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 8
File: ask-me.jpg (5 KB, 223x226) Image search: [Google]
ask-me.jpg
5 KB, 223x226
Personal trainer here.
Got a question you always wanted to ask?
Not sure about reps or proper nutrition before/after exercise?
If i can help you,i will
Some FAQ:
>Do i have to consume protein while/immediately after working out?
no
>Will exercise stunt my growth?
SOME exercises WILL stunt your growth no matter how correctly you perform them
>How do i break a plateau?
rest for a few days and then change your workout routine including exercises,rest time and reps
>do i need cardio to tone up?
no,muscle mass is your main metabolic tissue,more muscle mass = more calories burned while doing nothing,you need cardio for better heart health and endurance though
>will cardio make me lose muscles?
if your heart rate is on the low side,you have a good diet and the duration is not extreme you will not lose any muscle mass
>machines vs free weights?
it depends on the person but for the majority free weights are better,you can avoid a lot of shoulder injuries just by switching from the pec deck to pushups

any question?ask away
>>
>>31968174
Is it acceptable to deadlift in the squat rack?
>>
>>31968174
>rest for a few days and then change your workout routine including exercises,rest time and reps
That's not true, though. You just need to lift heavier.
>>
Why do you assume you're worthy of being paid as a personal trainer? Is it because you offer knowledge or is it because you motivate your lazyass clients?
>>
>>31968194
yes,as long as it helps you perform the exercise correctly
>>31968195
its better not to strain your joints/tendons if you can get the same result with a different exercise and less wear
>>31968217
because i motivate them and i keep them from listening to their stupid friends that will send them to the hospital
>>
>>31968243
So, you live on the hard earned money of lazy normies who cannot motivate themselves.

I like you now.
>>
I just recently had a rotator cuff strain and I have separated the same shoulder in the past. What are some good exercises to strengthen the part of the shoulder that connects the delta to the triceps? That's where the majority of the pain was when it was injured most recently.
>>
How much do you make?

Post proof that you are who you are.
>>
File: image.jpg (49 KB, 460x405) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
49 KB, 460x405
How do I get her.
>>
According to you, what exercises stunt growth?
>>
I have a lot of free time and I ve been going to the gym 6 times a week, Im hungry skelly and started a month ago. Is that overkill? Am I just wasting my time?
>>
>>31968174
>coming on /fit/ as if he has knowledge we don't
Bitch please. You probably learned half you know from here.
>tone up
>protein window
Go die in a fucking fire you disinfo shill.
>>
Is working out 6 days a week too much for a beginner? Should I do 5 or even less?
>>
File: DSC_0009[1].jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0009[1].jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>31968314
some people work for 14 hours a day running bussinesses and shit,they need some motivation
>>31968315
tbh this is a better question for a physiotherapist but i think you should use a rubber band and some 2kg kettlebells to do exercises like this:
grab a kettlebell in each hand
perform a concentration curl up to 90 degrees (half rep)
do a shoulder raise with both hands like this:
https://myhealth.alberta.ca/health/_layouts/15/healthwise/media/medical/hw/h9991522_003.jpg
and then extend your triceps fully and slowly lower your arms
>>31968345
generally 15€/hour
>>31968356
not by lifting.
you need confidence
>>31968361
explosive jumps / jumping over obstacles,
bad form squats/deadlifts,too heavy overhead exercises
>>31968370
you need to get on a high calorie diet,4 days a week is enough training if you do everything correctly
>>31968429
4 is ok,just make sure your diet is ok and you exercise all your muscle groups (dont skip legs)
>>
I'm skinny as fuck and go to the gym 3/4 times a week(for 2/3 months now already) just doing random machines(upper body, legs etc spread out evenly ofcourse) and rowing. I am feeling and seeing improvements(could only do 2 pull ups, now I can do more than 6). Am I doing it wrong? I'm kinda reluctant to get to the weights because I'm afraid I'll fuck up and I don't have someone experienced I can go with. Thanks.
>>
File: 1423708863704.gif (483 KB, 207x154) Image search: [Google]
1423708863704.gif
483 KB, 207x154
>>31968174
>tone up
>>
>>31968243
>stupid friends that will send them to the hospital?
So why do i see pts making their clients do retarded shit that is going to send them to snap city? Why do i see pts teach bad form or not correcting bad form?
>>
>>31968174
>machines vs free weights?
>it depends on the person but for the majority free weights are better,you can avoid a lot of shoulder injuries just by switching from the pec deck to pushups

you're saying that calisthenics routines are better than those that we see in the sticky ?
>>
Tendinitis has continually stopped me from the gains I want to achieve. This time, I'm being very careful not to do repetitive lifting. I'm lifting heavy weights, only a few sets, and being mindful of my form. Any other suggestions?
>>
>>31968455
>muh long work hours
>work makes it hard for me to want to work out

They could run their businesses better if they invested their money back into the business instead of paying you. You're a vulture, Anon. Accept it.
>>
Another question, since you seem to know your stuff.

It's hard for me to gain a muscular chest. My arms are doing great, but I'm having trouble working the pectorals. I've read that dumbbell flyes aren't recommended because of the high risk of injury, but I remember being able to feel my chest working when I've done them before. Any tips?
>>
>>31968466
if you dont feel any discomfort using the machines (and no pain) you can stick to them until you find somebody to show you proper form in free weights.
Until then,keep doing pullups,pushups and dips,you cant fuck up on those
>>31968472
because most are retarded steroid apes that have never opened a book or they just dont care
>>31968476
better is subjective,healthier for most is a better description.Too many people fuck their spines/knees from bad form in squats/deadlifts or a pec deck thats not suited for their body
>>31968480
>Any other suggestions?
yes,if you get an outbreak dont let it become chronic,ice up,rest for a few days and be more careful next time.Also avoid explosive movements
>>
>>31968174
I got a shitload of questions

is cardio 30 minutes 5 days + weight lifting (dumbbell p/p/l) alternate days good for losing weight?

which is worse if I haven't eaten anything for the entire day?
> eating something light just before exercise
> eat after exercise instead
> eating something = tuna or something like that. may not have access to fruits

is walking (3.4 mph) good enough for losing weight or do I have to run?

what's the reason for my lower back ache whenever I do crunches or sit up? should I lose some weight before attempting those exercises?

what is a good dumbbell alternative to hanging leg raises and pull-ups? my gym doesn't have any pull up bar
>>
>>31968472
Because PTs are usually beta faggots who can't bring them self to tell their client they suck at something.
>>
>>31968606
one more

is there a way to reduce calves size? mine is gigantic in a bad way. no kidding.

thanks bro
>>
I'm planning to run 1.30 hours with empty stomach and do weightlifting at the evenings 6 days a week. Am I gonna gain muscle mass while losing fat?
>>
Whats the easiest way of achieving my first pull up? im doing negatives 3 days a week but it doesnt seem to be working
>>
How the fuck do i eat 3000 calories a day? The food in my uni cafeteria and its gross as fuck. They don't allow stoves in our dorms so I can't cook food. I'm trying to gain weight.
>>
>>31968628
Depends on how much you eat. Btw im not OP
>>
>>31968691
Eat a lot of calorie dense food
>>
>>31968691
>How the fuck do i eat 3000 calories a day?
how do you not?
>>
>>31968174
what is proper squat footing stance.. people are telling me shoulder width or a little past but my hips become bruised doing this and it fucking hurts

this gym bro told me to go hip wide and it feels much more comfortable.. is this okay?
>>
>>31968552
Some people have too much money to care for 50€/day and they value their health more
>>31968573
If you want a muscular chest you need to do an exercise with a pushing motion and an exercise with a closing motion (this will work your serratus too)
IMO do medium weight dumbbell flies being extra careful with your form (and dont load up the weight here) and pushups + low rep frontal weighted dips for a pushing motion.
Keep your rest to minimal for maximum hypertrophy (30-45 seconds are fine unless you're using too much weight)
Bench press works too but its overrated
>>31968606
your routine is okay.
To lose weight you need to find the heart rate thats ideal for you.Generally the higher your heart rate = more calories burned and the lower your heart rate = more calories burned from fat
So you need to find the golden mean,the right zone for your own body.This depends on your age and fitness level as well.140 would be good for a teenager but 120 would be better for an older person.
If you want my opinion eat some carbs 30 mins after the exercise and a high protein meal an hour after.But if you havent eaten all day you wont get maximal muscle growth
>what is a good dumbbell alternative to hanging leg raises and pull-ups?
captains chair or bench ab contractions for abs, lat pulldown (using neutral,pronated and supinated grips) instead of pullups
>>31968627
the only real way is to lose weight/muscles,sorry bro its genetic but im jelly,i have tiny ones
>>31968628
that will only work if you do it in the morning and you can get muscle mass but it will be much less than if you had eaten something 3 hours before running
>>31968629
whatever you do,dont kip it
keep trying for 1 rep everyday,also use the lat pulldown and work on your forearms,most people have an okay back but their forearms can't provide enough power
>>31968691
Bananas,oatmeal+honey,olive oil in salad,extra bread,much pasta and rice with your main food,a meal every 3 hours
>>
>>31968579
>>>31968476
>better is subjective,healthier for most is a better description.Too many people fuck their spines/knees from bad form in squats/deadlifts or a pec deck thats not suited for their body

this implies that you can't fuck up your body if you do a bodyweight squat with bad form ?
>>
>>31968174
how do I get rid of the pain I feel in my hip area when I squat?
>>
>>31968174
if i feel that i am not using the targeted muscles during lifting, does it mean it's bad form?
>>
>>31968721
currently at 128lbs 5"5 king of manlets
Have been bulking for the past two weeks and I already fail to meet my quota yesterday. I'm not really used to eating a lot so its really hard for me to eat 2k+ calories a day with healthy food.
According to the TDEE calculator I need to eat at least 2700 calories to gain weight
>>
>>31968728
there is no universal proper squat footing stance,every person has hip bones of different length and proportions so what works on someone wont necessarily work for everyone else.
You need to find a distance that your legs won't cave in while you're going down and one that doesn't cause you pain or feels unnatural
So yeah,it is ok if it feels natural for you
>>31968778
find what causes it,is it in one hip or both? tried a different footing?
>>31968769
ofcourse you can,but a pushup will allow free movement on your shoulder/back muscles,a bench press won't.Some people need that shoulder movement
>>31968782
that or some of the muscles used are strong but your (usually smaller) assistant muscles are weak so you feel the soreness there (while your main muscles can handle more)
>>
>>31968815
Eat nuts,dried fruits and pasta,they're easy to eat in quantity,high in calories and rather healthy (if you compare them to coca cola and chips)
>>
So I hear people talking about having a quota to meet for their macros but exactly what macros should I be trying to get and how many?
>>
>>31968750
>To lose weight you need to find the heart rate thats ideal for you.Generally the higher your heart rate = more calories burned and the lower your heart rate = more calories burned from fat
>So you need to find the golden mean,the right zone for your own body.This depends on your age and fitness level as well.140 would be good for a teenager but 120 would be better for an older person.
thanks for the advice bro. so lower heart rate = more fat burn? I have over 80 pounds to lose, hoping to lose mostly fat. so in that case I have to exercise such that my heart rate is ~130-140? I am 23 btw.

walking at 3.4 mph brings my heart rate to ~140, so I guess that's fine; there's no need to increase the speed then?
>>
>>31968819
thanks for clearing things up
>>
>>31968750
>db flyes

I see you are a raging faggot. I don't like you anymore.
>>
>>31968847
You need enough carbs to fill your energy stores and preserve your weight/muscle mass
You need about 1 to 2 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight depending on your muscularity (or body fat percentage)
And enough healthy fat to keep yourself healthy.A tablespoon or two of olive oil in your salad is usually okay
>>31968869
yes,there is no need to increase your speed.
You could also try interval training,its great for burning fat.Or just keep it simple and steady.
>>31968884
no problem anon
>>31968887
OP is always a raging faggot
>>
>To lose weight you need to find the heart rate thats ideal for you.Generally the higher your heart rate = more calories burned and the lower your heart rate = more calories burned from fat
So would doing 15mins of HIIT cardio per work out(3 times a week) be bad if I'm bulking? My heart rate is usually at 150+ when im doing it.
>>
What's your job like? How much of it is to be a pushy salesman trying to convince people they need personal training? Are you responsible for getting your own clients or are they assigned to you be the gym you work at?
>>
How many grams of fat do i need to function properly?
170 cm/82 kg
I eat low carb ( ~100 gr per day)
>>
Thanks a lot, OP.

BTW, how do you like that Polar watch? I've been looking for something small and cheap (<$35), with an accurate heart rate monitor. Other brands are said to be pretty unreliable, but are the Polars worth the cost in your opinion?
>>
Why would I listen to you when most personal trainers are just uneducated twats?
>>
>>31968819
I'm the guy with the hip pain. It's on both. From what I've gathered I need to strengthen my hip muscles, but I don't know how to do that
>>
>>31968920
You don't have to be educated to make money as a personal trainer sadly. If you're a tall, ottermode guy you can make lots of money. If you know how to make someone really sore you can make lots of money. People don't need to see progress, they just need to think that they're making progress and they'll pay you lots of money.
>>
>>31968901
It wont be bad as long as your body gets its fuel.
Do you eat something a few hours before you hit the gym? do you eat a good meal after your workout? (30-90 minutes)
>>31968905
Its relatively well paid but you are responsible for your clients good health and growth so it can be worrysome.You always worry if he fucks up and gets hurt while you're not nearby to watch him.I dont feel like a pushy salesman but then again im freelancing.i dont work at a gym
>>31968912
I am not sure,it depends on your genetics.Eskimos consume huge quantities of fat.Other people get cholesterol by eating a tub of butter.also see>>31968847
>>31968916
yes,they're worth the cost.M400 is probably their best when considering price to value.
My client has V800 and rcx5.Im jelly but i wouldnt pay that price.Im happy with mine.
Its waterproof,durable,mini usb rechargable,gps equipped and accurate.
>>31968920
You dont have to listen to me,im just doing this to help some bros out,im not asking for anything back,so if you think i know my stuff listen to it,else dont
>>31968932
if you want my opinion go to a very good physiotherapist.Not a cheap one.Go for a single visit and fix that shit.Dont go to cheap ones that will injure you or give you a wrong diagnosis or multiple visits
>>31968979
the worst thing about those PTs is that they are injuring people.They get newbies in advanced workout regimes and mess up their joints/spines.
And then those people need physio and / or better PTs to fix that shit
>>
Is this split ok?
A: Chest, Biceps. Shoulders
B: Back, Triceps, Legs
>>
Why are so many personal trainers fucking stupid? Not attacking you, I realize some are very knowledgable, and I plan on becomingone myself, but is it really that fucking easy to become one? You'd think so with the amount of ridiculous broscience shit you see people posting that PTs told them
>>
>>31969118
Lol
>>
>>31969118
its fine as long as you leave a day inbetween for your shoulders to rest,you really dont want to injure them
You could also take legs to another day (maybe between the other 2)
>>
A friend of mine has a bit of lordosis - no pain or anything, but she just looks weird. I've tried to look around a bit to find things to suggest her; do you have anything by any chance?
>>
How do I deal with injuries? Do I work through or take time off? I have a tendon in the crook of my elbow that makes it really painful to do curls. I also have a muscle/tendon in the bend of my leg (groin) that hurts when I squat. I can't progress any further because of these.
>>
I hyperextended my elbow. When should I resume training?
>>
File: ariel winters.gif (2 MB, 300x330) Image search: [Google]
ariel winters.gif
2 MB, 300x330
How long did you study and how much do you make a year? Was thinking of becoming a PT too.

Do you lift a lot because I have a martial arts/boxing workout and wondered if it's necessary to lift to be a PT.
>>
>>31968455
>you need confidence
How do I do starting confidence? Is there some kind of coach or therapist for confidence? (Not PUA pls)
>>
>>31969131
It doesn't take much knowledge to become a personal trainer. the more respectable certs require some realllllly basic level anatomy/physiology/kinesiology but it's easily learnable in a few weeks.
>>
>>31969171
Yes,she needs to find if its caused by her genetics (parent has it?),bad posture or muscle imbalance.
You can become lordotic by sitting with bad form,or because your pelvis tilted because your hamstrings are tight.
>>31969184
if its a tendon you always rest before it turns to chronic tendonitis.Find some other muscle groups to exercise while your hurt ones recover.Ever wanted muscular serratus,obliques or calves?well there's your chance to focus on that.
About your groin it might be a tight or injured abductor muscle,if it hurts you during casual activities you should definitely check it out
>>31969213
you might want some physio rehabilitation before you start exercising.You dont want a second injury.It will make it much worse.
>>31969232
You dont need to lift to be a PT,i spend more of my time swimming or running with my client rather than lifting.You also dont need a degree in some countries (but not all!)
It generally takes 2 to 6 years if you want an official university degree.
>>31969240
well the best thing is to just convince yourself (and observe) that nobody wins without trying.
You might fail once twice or a hundred times but if you dont try you wont succeed.You should also not feel like your whole world will collapse if you get rejected once or anything.If that helps,meet random girls and dont try to hit on girls you already know.You will feel more confident if they dont know about you.
>>31969267
most smart folks go for physio or ergophysiology.
Chiropractors are retards that will do you more bad than good in the majority of cases
>>
Are SS/SL good beginner programs?
>>
Is eating at McDonalds okay if you are very skinny and go to the gym?
>>
What are your stats like?
Big 3 + OHP please
>>
>>31969287
Thanks man for responding. I appreciate you sharing your knowledge.
>>
>>31969328
it's never okay
>>
>>31969287
>well the best thing is to just convince yourself (and observe) that nobody wins without trying.

I'm a non-white manlet in a white country. So the regular advice won't work for me.
>>
File: DSC_0011.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0011.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>31969319
Im not into mass produced programs,i believe each individual should have his own program customized for his own needs,goals and abnormalities
>>31969328
okay is subjective.Its definitely not healthy for your heart and arteries.Even their salad is bad.Their oil quality is despicable.
>>31969332
I should also provide my penis length and proof of height,i suppose.Anybody can make up internet stats,its better not saying any at all.
>>31969333
no problem anon
>>31969377
Lower your standards,dress nice,be clean and dont look desperate

I need to go out now
OP will probably be back in a few days to answer more questions
OP signing off :^)
>>
>>31969377
Yes, 100% of your problems are caused by the white man, not your choices.
>>
>>31969411
>I should also provide my penis length and proof of height,i suppose.Anybody can make up internet stats,its better not saying any at all.
confirmed DYEL as all fuck
well, as if your wrist picture didn't hint at that already

your advice is now as good as worthless
>>
>>31969418
Where exactly did I imply that?
>>
So I'm in bed just feeling up and down my calves to apply pressure to tension points and after that decide to lock my knee out.

I heard a snap, somewhere near the top of my quad when I stretch out. My right knee makes snap noises when i move it back and forth with my bodyweight. Anyway. I feel no pain and can walk fine; just wanted to know what happen and if anything to worry about.

If anything my leg feels better after applying pressure to those trigger points but just want to be extra sure.

I haven't had a leg day in years due to fears of snap city and I dunno; I'm stressing out; maybe overstressing.

Help?
>>
A few days ago when I was working my biceps/back my forearms hurt too much. There was a lot of strain and it felt like my forearms was going to explode, my veins were a lot more visible and my hands felt tlike one of those dreams where you want to run but you just can't, senseless. What the fuck happened?
>>
>>31968174
I'm 5'4" 175-200 lbs

Best way for me to lose weight is to hangs up my diet and just do a ton of cardio? I'd rather worry about muscle at a different time.
>>
>>31968174
could you rate this routine please? it's pretty much coolcicada's PPL but modified to fit in 4 days a week
>>
File: 0983465657.png (6 KB, 161x449) Image search: [Google]
0983465657.png
6 KB, 161x449
>>31970369
sorry,here it is
Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.