[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
SS/SL beginners discussion
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 9
File: heman.png (254 KB, 596x350) Image search: [Google]
heman.png
254 KB, 596x350
Sup /fit/.
Doing SL for 3 months now. Not completely untrained before. Stats (1RMs in kg):
OHP/BP/Rows/Squats/DL
45/80/60/110/120
182cm (5'11"+), 89kg (196lbs)
Questions:
>Cardio
What day did you do cardio in? I do AxBxACx, C is 30 min LISS. Trying to reach 30 min 5 k.
By the way, do you jog on forefoot, mid or heel?
>Accesories
What accesories do you add?
I add dips/flies and chin-ups on OHP/DL day and lat raises and pull-ups/CG cable rows on Bench/Row day. 4x8 rep range. Some ab work in the 3xF rep range, not all days. 10 min treadmill before lifting.
Accesories you add? Like lunges, curls etc.
>Stalling
How do/did you break through plateaus? I know I'm supposed to deload but my shoulders are already too far behind my other muscles. Same with Rows, actually.
>Alterations
For example, on OHP/DL day I do front squats. But they're way weaker than back, I do 75x5.
Anything else you do? Like RDLs, underhand grip Rows, incline bench, DB variations of rows/bench/ohp, etc.
>Intermediate/Advanced
What program did you switch to?
If PPL, how many days/week?

Pls no bully
>>
>>31915064
>>
File: ezgif-1559872026.gif (4 MB, 242x441) Image search: [Google]
ezgif-1559872026.gif
4 MB, 242x441
Didn't read :^)
>>
I've done a program based on SL before, I can probably share some experiences.

>Cardio
It fucks with your gains unless you're just doing light cardio. I was walking relatively long distances every day to go places, but didn't do any real structured cardio. If your heart health is fine and your only goal is strength and/or aesthetics, then I don't see the point in doing cardio anyway.

>Accessories
I did 8x3 db curls, 5x5 bb rows, 8x5 bb shrugs. Looking back, I probably should have done some ab work too.

>Stalling
Deloading was pretty much the best thing to do in that situation. But if your squat progression stops being linear, then that's when you're supposed to switch to a more advanced program.

>Alterations
I don't think I did any.

>Intermediate/Advanced
I started a cut after my squat and deadlift progression became non-linear. I switched to madcow (plus accessories) but I couldn't handle it since I was in too much of a caloric deficit to recover properly, so I just stayed on SL until the end of my cut and focused on trying to not lose strength. I then went on madcow (plus accessories) after I started bulking again.
>>
File: 1428222185739.png (337 KB, 956x1621) Image search: [Google]
1428222185739.png
337 KB, 956x1621
Not exactly a beginner, but I haven't been lifting for a year and I'm still pretty weak but anyway my questions are:

1. Started Texas Method last week (did 5 months of SS), can I add chins after my bench workout? I'm assuming I can and should, as long as it doesn't impede on my bench press progress.

2. When can I add dips? What kind of sets/reps should I be looking at for strength gains/bench press assistance?

3. Does Texas Method give decent aesthetics? I'm assuming the volume days could have a hypertrophy effect but I'm not sure. I've heard one person say that Texas Method is a template and the lifter can alter it to suit their goals but I'm not sure how to do that.

4. Since the Texas Method IS a template, where can I find some samples of people who altered it to meet goals for hypertrophy and strength?

cheers
>>
>>31915804
Goal body right here. He did SS, yes?
>>
>>31916069
oh yeah, how can I add ab work into the program?
>>
>>31916076
It's rumoured that he used some variation of it in his early years of lifting. He keeps his workout routine very secret though.

Also, good call on the goal body, his would easily be mine too :)
>>
I'm 10 weeks into 5x5 starting from an empty bar and i cant figure out the squat form for the life of me, I've been sitting at the same weight for the last 5 workouts or so and my fucking bench is catching up with squat at this point.
I keep reading SS and watching Rip's videos but still can't just put my finger on it.
>>
>>31915672
that jpg is wrong
it's not a bb bent-over row
you're supposed to do pendlay rows
>>
Boomp
>>
>>31916007
Well 1x30min LISS is not going to fuck with my gains that much now is it?
>5x5 bb rows
That's part of the program, not accesory work...
>Advanced
thanks
>>31916069
Been looking for that image, thanks
>>31916228
Well if the weight is significantly lower than your bodyweight you may find that you can't balance as well. Have you gone/tried up to at least 1 plate to see how it goes? What part of the movement do you find hard?
Tip: Put duct tape on your spine from the bottom of the shoulder blades until your tail bone, with the spine extended (but not too much). Dive slowly fixing your form as you feel tension from the tape (it will try to break if you bend or it will wrinkle if you over-extend)
>>31916243
Oh right. Well it's just an image off google. Is there such a big difference?
>>
>>31916069
>>31916096
I'd check out Justin Lascek's books on Texas Method. Both parts are available for free if you google (scribd). I think he addresses all these questions except for maybe the dip one.
>>
>>31916228
>>31916228
Keep watching videos and post a form check if you can.

Play around with stance since there's a wide range of acceptable foot width and angle. do what feel natural and keeps your knees tracking over your toes.

Also, you might want to try high bar. Yes, you can't quite move as much weight but you can still make linear progress and plenty of people like Candito recommend it over low bar for training.
>>
File: road-to-two-plates-graphic-3.jpg (103 KB, 560x660) Image search: [Google]
road-to-two-plates-graphic-3.jpg
103 KB, 560x660
>>31915064
Forgot to say:
I had a double espresso before working out yesterday, got in there pumped af. I had slept well and eaten well too.
Tried a new squat (100x5) and DL PR (115x5), succesfully. After that I was dead tired, sat on a bence for at least 5-10 minutes to get my shit together (limbs trembling, feeling lightheaded, completely drained), did no accesories at all and just went home and slept. Has this happened to anyone else? Should I have done accesories even at very low volume/intensity? I really felt like I couldn't do them though, I was that tired.
>>
File: 1426044281630.jpg (133 KB, 728x636) Image search: [Google]
1426044281630.jpg
133 KB, 728x636
>>31917218
1pl8 is where it's stuck now, I can't point out the specific part cause there seems to be a lot to keep track on at the same time, the whole thing just does not feel smooth and I struggle to finish the last rep, knees starting to shake and shit. I guess I'll keep a copy of SS under the pillow until Rip appears in my dream and sets me straight
>>31917348
Thanks, going to try high bar next time. No way to record form sadly, nobody to ask advice in the gym either really.
One day I'm gonna make it anyhow
>>
>>31917870
PR are not only physically but also emotionally draining. I know this sounds p gay but elite lifters can't lift properly like a week after a competition because of the impact it has on them.

Since you're doing beginner lifts I'm sure you can go back at it the day after, maybe even a few hours later after that workout, but it's normal to feel drained after maximum loads.
>>
>>31917870
That pic. Wtf is he even doing.
>>
>>31918356
He is squatting his deadlifts. His form is likely shit because of neglect - the weight is too easy for him. He looks like he pulls >4pl8. Who cares, it's a pic off google.
>>31918146
Just have someone video you and upload a gif/webm/yt lint here.
Are you sure you are breathing properly? (Unrack, inhale, brace, dive, drive up, exhale, repeat)
>>31918283
I just thought it was really weird. I am sure I could continue after an hour or two of rest but then it's another workout. At that particular moment I could barely sit straight on the bench.
>>
File: 1404013741966.jpg (88 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
1404013741966.jpg
88 KB, 960x720
>>31918146
What is it that doesn't feel correct? What's your stance?
Like the guy said earlier, lighter weight is harder to balance. My warm-ups feel weird until I get to my bodyweight.
>>
>>31915064
Polite bump.
>>
How do you guys deal with the DOMS? When I squat I can't do it for 4-5 days, it only happens with the squats and deadlifts tho
>>
>>31919760
Train through it. It's only a bit of soreness, it's not like your muscles are gone, man.

It's the only way.
>>
>>31919760
Stretch after your workouts.
>>
>>31919802
>>31919836
Okay will do so, thanks!
>>
>>31919760
If you squat regularly, you won't feel the DOMS so bad anymore
>>
Busyfag here. I only have dumbells and ez curl bar. is it okay to do sl? I know i need more weights eventually. Just curious if there are any risks doing squats with that bar.
>>
>>31915064
>>31917870
/fit/ pls, share your wisdom with me.
>>
A bit off topic but had a 'discussion' with a friend about smith machine vs free weights. He was telling me how no beginner should do free weights cuz my form would suck and that's what the smith is for: gain strength and get a good form - cuz hurrdurr it straight and then switch to free weights.
I'm gonna say it's total bullshit but he wouldn't really listen and I just dropped it. Don't think I can convince him since he said 'You know nothing about it, you're just a beginner but I've been lifting for years and I've benched xxx pounds(quite a bit tbh) and after this timeout I wouldn't dare do free weights.'

What source could I use to argue against that? Might he be saying the truth? I'm pretty much convinced that Smith machine won't help your form, doing free weight exercises with low weights, making sure you got a good form is the way to go.
>>
I'm a month and a half into SL5x5 after having ACL surgery. According to the app and how many times I've worked out, today I was at OHP: 70lb Squat: 95lb and DL 145lb.

I was working out with a friend today who as always pushed me to train/work/study harder and has always been a great motivation to improve myself. So today after my normal 5x5 workout of the above lifts, he told me to try upping the weight on my squats, so I did 5 reps @ 135lbs no problem, great form, as well as 225lb deadlift, 5 reps, also no problem, good form.

Should I continue my linear progression from what I've been following in the app, or up to it a higher weight that I'm comfortable doing?
>>
>>31924519
Stronglifts is a total beginner program. You're going to be under worked for a while. It will pay off though because of all the practice grooving the lifts.

Starting with the bar, at the end of three months if you've had no stalls, you will be squatting two plates. Which doesn't seen like a lot. But you will have grooved that lift 900 times.

Those 900 practice lifts will come in handy the higher you go. If you start at a greater weight, you won't have the practice you're getting with SL.
>>
>>31924624
Was thinking along the same longs, didn't lift 3-4 months before surgery, just rode my bike and swam to build up my hammy for harvesting, as well as to relieve the knee of pressure, and 6 months after surgery, so 9-10 months being off lifting can be viewed as alot. I'll keep going at the linear progression and attempt was 1RM every now and then.
>>
>>31924745
I used SL for my own rehab for just that reason. You know you can do more, that's fine. No need to prove it. Especially coming off surgery. Just keep practicing with volume and strengthen those ligaments.
>>
>>31924519
work on your patience
>>
>>31925159
I've been trying to work on that my whole life.

I've resisted temptation from getting back on the field (played varsity soccer and semi-pro) up until a few years ago.

It's also hard to be patient when I'm up for another ACL surgery in the other knee at the end of this year...

I'm never going to make it.
>>
>>31925207
We're all going to make it.
>>
Did SS for 4 months, good gains but wasn't exactly a beginner lifter. Switched over to ICF5x5 which is no different besides from some isolations.

Not confident enough to move onto an intermediate program so I'm gonna stay on this for another few months
>>
File: thicksolidtight.jpg (73 KB, 1147x846) Image search: [Google]
thicksolidtight.jpg
73 KB, 1147x846
Started lifting 2 weeks ago.. these are my stats.. will I ever get better ;_; ?? skinnyfat weakling here
>>
>>31925289
>68kg
Holy shit, man. GOMAD.
>>
>>31926848
I'm trying my best mr.rippletoewtz
>>
>>31925289
Your OHP are ridiculous, even for your weight.

Try harder and keep on loading.
>>
>>31926895
being in a bed for 3 years does that to you
>>
>>31925289
help me please
>>
Been lifting for a little under 4 months now, about 1 month seriously.
My quads are getting bigger, sure, and I can feel my hammies when I flex them (but i've got some thigh fat so), and my pecs are noticeable.
But where I'm really getting bigger is my traps and delts. My traps are to the point where they're almost disproportionate on my otherwise average frame when I flex them, and my delts are still reasonable but they're puffing up too.
I'm gonna get accused of roiding when I make it to the point I can post in CBTs, I can feel it already.
>>
>>31924267
The sticky is source enough. Then there's also common sense.
There's also a graph floating around that shows the "need for training complexity", "intensity", "volume" versus "training time", simple enough to understand.
I have the same type of friend. His routine was (he stopped now because of basket) ChestBi/BackTri/Shoulders&Legs. Almost only machines except bench, no progressive overload. He was "lifting" 6 months when I started, I surpassed him with 1 month. He insists I'm on creatine. And he didn't need to get too big or else he wouldn't be able to jump high enough/be agile enough. Which is a valid concern except he was squatting 2/3xBW on the smith.
>>31924519
As the other anons said, patience. Let your CNS adapt. GJ recovering!
>>31925207
Best of luck with that knee too man ;_; you'll make it
>>31925262
Bugger off Blaha.
>>31925289
>>31927083
What happened? Anyway just keep on loading and pumping man
>>
I squat 225, deadlift 250, overhead press 110, and bench 135.

Is starting strength too beginner for me? I find it difficult on squats to get any stonger due to long legs but my bench and deadlift keep going.

I was thinking about doing a 5/3/1 program with accessories. Although I'm going to abandon the OHP because I dont want to fuck up my shoulders.

I really just want to progress on deadlifts and bench and overall neglect squat and overhead press for overall joint health.
>>
>>31930907
Lol you're hella weak son. Stick to the program until you can put up some decent weight
>>
>>31930947
Even for someone at 6'5"?
>>
>>31930907
Upper body too weak. Have you considered Greyskull?
>>31931041
No excuses fgt just lift
>>
SS is a terrible regime for anything other than general strength.

It is terrible for novices interested in powerlifting (the majority of elite powerlifters agrees with this) as the regime places way to much focus on the squat over the other lifts, this is dogshit for powerlifting.

It is terrible for looking good - anyone with a set of eyes could tell you training like this with so much extra volume on lowerbody is just going to leave with you massive muscle imbalances. You arms are just not going to grow on this (and if you add in curls, close grip bench, additional upperbody volume, rows etc you're not doing SS at this point, you're doing your own program). The upperbody requires way more volume to grow than lowerbody, so why the fuck anyone thinks you can build a good upperbody on SS is beyond me.

SS has 1 purpose - for athletes from sports to build a base level of strength in a 4-8 week offseason. It is a general strength program and this is what these guys need. It isn't for powerlifters, it isn't for bodybuilders. So why the fuck it has caught on so much is beyond me. I guess you guys could do it if you are completely untrained for 4-8 weeks to build some sort of base, but if you run it any amount of time beyond this you're just hurting your gains.
>>
>>31931076
Well no shit upper body is weak on SS. Were you expecting someone to get a good bench that is concerned with only diddlylifts and squats?
>>
>>31925289
first I misread and thought your OHP stat was 46kg and I was MAD then i was like lol wait 11 kg HAHAHAHAH
>>
>>31930907
What is your problem with your shoulders?

I was told by my doctor I wouldn't be able to train or do sports for a year due to a bad rotator cuff injury I developed. I fixed the problem by:

-OHP with just the bar for 1 month adding 5kg each month.

-Very light and slow facepulls.

In 3 months I was able to start to add weight to the bar every week without pain and now, 5 months later my shoulders are stronger than they were before injury (5 months is 1 hell of an improvement over 1 year). No pain and I have full movement and in my shoulders again.

Also 5/3/1 is a program for advanced lifters - if you can't gain on a novice program anymore look at:

For strength, Candito's 6 week trainer. Just run cycles of this until you are an advanced lifter.

For hypertrophy; Hypertrophy specific training.
>>
>>31931172
Well I'm switching to hypertrophy because I dont want to look like Candito and frankly dont care about pulling 80 pl8s on any of my lifts. I just want to look nice.
>>
I'm considering starting this program next week. Is it really necessary to squat so much? It feels like I'll develop some imbalances if I do so many squats. I'm willing to be proven wrong, but I just want some information.
>>
>>31931228
What are you talking about, squats are wonderful. Do greyskull or PPL if you want to squat less.
>>
>>31931242
Don't get me wrong, I fucking love squats. I'm just worried about muscle imbalances is all. But I guess it wouldn't be so popular is the program made you develop misproportions. I'll be on my way.
>>
>>31925289
what is the website for this?
>>
>>31925289
>11 kg press

How can you be so weak? Are you a woman? You can't even lift the 20 kg bar? Or are you putting in just the weight added to the bar?
>>
>>31931378
strstd
>>
>>31931101

I agree with you but what do you propose as an alternative? Especially for them joocy upper body gains.
>>
File: harmonized sales tax.png (53 KB, 670x519) Image search: [Google]
harmonized sales tax.png
53 KB, 670x519
>>31931172
>For hypertrophy; Hypertrophy specific training.

Does this shit actually work? Looks like what I need.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/hst1.htm
>>
>>31915064
After looking at SS and SL I figured both wouldn't fit me because I prefered 4 days so I made my own routine with SS's progression rules and SL's lifts and some accessories I added myself (nothing much) so I made my own 4-day routine and been doing that for a few months now, works pretty decent

>>31916007
>8x5 shrugs
Won't this cause your traps to grow out of proportion with the rest of your body? seems like a lot of volume and overdeveloped traps looks even weirder then overdeveloped legs imo
>>
Could I get to 1234 plate in ~1 year on SL? Should I change routine at some point?
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.