[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
As someone who is 19 years old... Is there a reason to worry
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 10
File: cancer.jpg (49 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
cancer.jpg
49 KB, 640x360
As someone who is 19 years old... Is there a reason to worry about cancer? I mean the earliest age i can get it is like 30 or 40 until then there will be a cure. Just getting curious about this
>>
>>35392425
I mean, you should be living clean and without worry.
>>
>>35392425
i'd say the only way to literally not have to worry about cancer would be to follow an alkaline diet
>>
>>35392425

I was 18 when I was diagnosed with testicular cancer. You are at the prime age for breast, lymphomas, sarcomas, melanomas, thyroid, colorectal, brain and spinal, leukemia and testicular cancers. I guess you don't need to worry about other types but that doesn't mean you should write them off completely. I had that mindset that I didn't need to worry about cancer, I was an 18 year old that ate way healthier than my friends and lifted. It's funny because you always hear about that uncle or someone in the family that had cancer and you never expect it could be you, but here I am 3 years in to remission.
>>
>>35392425
Anon, I think you got it wrong.
You may get cancer in your life, now or later and later is just more probable than now. The chance that you will get cancer at all is kinda low, though. Also, many cancers today are treatable, so it's not a "disease that absolutely kills you" anymore. And don't think there will ever be a "cure" for cancer, just better ways to treat it.
To answer your question, no, there really isn't. If it's gonna happen, it's gonna happen and the only thing you can do is not smoke, eat fibers and watch out for STDs, just to keep you safe in the future.

>>35392581
What kind? Just curious.
>>
>>35392425
uhh you can get cancer at any age. a neighbor died of ewig's sarcoma and she was only in her early 20s.
>>
>>35392425

friend of mine died with 19 .. 14 months ago from cancer

you can get it and you are not safe from it.
>>
>>35392623

Lymphoblastic Sarcoma
>>
There will never be a cure for cancer due to various reasons
>>
File: 1363300452736.jpg (40 KB, 600x402) Image search: [Google]
1363300452736.jpg
40 KB, 600x402
>>35392575
Whats an Alkaline Diet?
>>
>>35392688

Like a vegan diet but focused on fish high in alkaline metals like Salmon
>>
>>35392650
Hope it never appears again, anon.
>>
>>35392425
man, the thing about curing cancer is that they need to program cells to stop doing what they are doing.
and if they can program cells to do one thing, they can program cells to do other things.
get the point I'm trying to make?
if they cure cancer, they also cure aging and thus death.
even if they come up with the cure, they will never release it to the public
>>
>>35392425

my friend got hodgkins lymphoma in his early 20s. It has a 90% survival rate, but it still sucked for him. Chemo is shit.
>>
>>35392712
Does this shit really help? reading about it online theres a lot to support it but maybe they're biased.
>>
>>35392425
currently 52 and not having Cancer... pretty sure my Ivy league genetics will keep it that way.. at least that's what my family history suggests.

You can get cancer at any age... frankly your premise is rather ill informed.. while its not strictly a genetic predisposition involved it is a substantial factor so if you haven't got it now it probably you won't even...

Not everyone gets cancer .. but reading threads like this will increase your chances.
>>
>>35392425
Sisters dying from cancer in her early 20's, rare form tho.
>>
>>35393321

Well memed
>>
>>35393147
No it's pure bullcrap. The theory behind it is that cancer cells like to live in an acidic environment, and that they will die if you alter the pH in your body. The funny thing is that your pH is very strictly regulated, and actually succeeding in changing it would kill you. I guess the cancer dies too then...
>>
>>35392575
I believe you mean an ACTIVATED diet. (i.e. activated almonds, activated water, etc)
>>
>>35392425
>30 or 40
With that attitude you'll have cancer by the time you're 21.
Everything you do to your body that is unnatural increases the chance of you getting cancer.
Just the way it is, not saying you should worry about it to the point of a phobia, but...
If you don't do basic maintenance on your body, you're going to be fucked.
>>
>>35393678
>If you don't do basic maintenance on your body, you're going to be fucked.

dont talk shit, the average person is fat, has a horrendous diet and spends all their free time playing xbox

and they arent getting cancer

sick and tired of vegan retards fear mongering with cancer, trying to scare people into veganism
>>
>>35393725
>vegan
Are you joking?
Adding water or fiber to your diet is enough to curve colon cancer for the most part.
The fuck you get veganism out of that.
>/fit/
>hating on science and biology
>>
File: 1274240707383.jpg (49 KB, 526x432) Image search: [Google]
1274240707383.jpg
49 KB, 526x432
>>35392425

>the earliest age i can get it is like 30 or 40

>until then there will be a cure

I have bad news for you...
>>
File: a4c.gif (2 MB, 400x286) Image search: [Google]
a4c.gif
2 MB, 400x286
>>35392425

>Grandmother died of pancreatic cancer.
>Mother died of lung cancer.
>Cousin survived Hodgkin's lymphoma at 20.
>Aunt is fighting ovarian cancer even though she is past-menopausal and one of her's are removed anyway.

And father had ulcerative colitics.

I am a timebomb.
>>
>>35393639
This.

You can adjust urine ph, but blood ph is strictly regulated by the kidneys. Cancer cells thrive in an acidic environment yes, but research indicates they sustain that environment.
>>
>>35394274
Same here senpai
>uncle died of lung cancer(he also had bone cancer,but the surival rate is better at this form of cancer)
>other uncle had testicular cancer
>grandfather died of prostate cancer
>cousin is fighting leukemia currently
It is just a matter of time brah.....
>>
Only a small number of things have been found to have a causal relationship with cancer for males. Smoking causing lung cancer is pretty much a fact as a result of studies going back to the 1950s. So, don't smoke. Being exposed to a significant amount of radiation is another cause of cancer. A family history of a particular cancer type will mean that you have a high chance of getting that cancer.

Other than that, the causal association between other risk factors and cancer hasn't been fully established. Alcohol and red meat has been strongly correlated with various types of cancer. Although a definite casual association between these and cancer is lacking, any doctor will tell you to consume these in moderate amounts.

Do almost everything in life in moderation and live a balanced life.
>>
File: Ph Meter life and dead.jpg (79 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Ph Meter life and dead.jpg
79 KB, 1280x720
>>35392688

>alkaline diet
>trying to get past the various buffer systems in the blood to change your pH

The only way anyone ever changed their pH was by having either their respiratory or renal systems fail. Diet can't change shit because of all the different buffer systems (protein buffer, bicarbonate buffer...) that keep your pH between 7.35 and 7.45.
>>
>granpa died of lung cancer
>he was a heavy smoker all his life though

>last year I got a malignant spot removed from my back just in time (fuark)
>probably because I got sunburnt a lot when I was little and my skin is pale as fuck

>no other cancer history in my family

Am I relatively safe?
>>
Lol, I got cancer when I was 8 years old. Cancer is incurable. Stop worrying op and just live your life, get checkups or whatever.
>>
>>35392771
Nice tinfoil hat, bro.
>>
File: PeriodicTable.jpg (331 KB, 1450x1121) Image search: [Google]
PeriodicTable.jpg
331 KB, 1450x1121
>>35394568
>no homostasis
>>
File: 13857818787.jpg (14 KB, 400x449) Image search: [Google]
13857818787.jpg
14 KB, 400x449
>>35392425
Well, out of just those few hundred people I know 2 of them have had cancer as underage.
Leukemia at around the age of 12 and other one had thyroid cancer at 16.

It can happen at any age bruh
>>
>>35392425
I was 23 or 24 when I noticed a small, pea sized lump on my right ball. I had an orchiectomy after my right ball shrunk in size and started having slight pangs.

I have one ball now...
>>
>>35392425

Cancer is increasingly more likely to happen the older you get, but it can happen at any age.

The idea that cancer will be cured is.. nice, but won't just happen like that. There are many, many types of cancer, all with unique properties. It's a wide spectrum of distinctive disorders. On the positive side, the survival rates for many cancers today are much, much higher than they were even a generation ago, as awareness, detection, and treatments all steadily improve. Seriously, go look up the age-adjusted survival rates for cancers. It is encouraging to see the progress we've made as a species. By the time you're a few decades older, they will be even better.

What you can do to help yourself now is to read up on the ways you can examine yourself for signs of cancer, and ways you can adjust your lifestyle so that you reduce the chances of picking it up. Generally, the healthier your lifestyle, the better off you are. Avoid smoking, excessive drinking, obesity, drugs, and inactivity, and you're off to a great start. I've seen this relationship first-hand with my own family.. all the people who died in their 50s/60s were the ones who beat the shit out of themselves in their 20s/30s. Can't blame the medical system when your lungs are slicked with a layer of tar.
>>
File: 1391413917530.gif (3 MB, 200x150) Image search: [Google]
1391413917530.gif
3 MB, 200x150
>>35392425
>>35392581

The chance of you getting cancer is very low, however, this doesn't mean that it's never gonna happen.

Was diagnosed with testicular and germcell cancer when I was 23 (spread to my lymph nodes and lungs). Had to do 4 Cycles of BEP, shit was not fun I'll tell you that much. Anyway 18 months in remission. Feels kinda good man, but those check ups every third month still turn my nervers into mush.
>>
>>35392425
If something is worth worrying about tomorrow, it is worth worrying about today senpai.

Don't do something that gives you cancer fuckwit
>>
>>35392425
The short answer is always no but you will eventually die of it
>>
>>35392581
>>35396846

Congratulations on the remission guys
>>
File: 1450922195051.jpg (127 KB, 975x971) Image search: [Google]
1450922195051.jpg
127 KB, 975x971
>mfw all my grand fathers and grand mothers lived past 90 y-o and ''died in their sleep''
>>
>>35392425

>I mean the earliest age i can get it is like 30 or 40 until then there will be a cure.

Cancer doesn't just spring up out of nowhere. If you have cancer at 30 it's because the growth started at your age.
>>
>>35392425
>I mean the earliest age i can get it is like 30 or 40
Ha! There is that popular YouTube guy who is in his early 30s and now has terminal stage 4 colon cancer, meaning that he must have had cancerous material years before that and ulcers or other problems in his early or mid 20s that led to this. "Young people don't get cancer" is an absolutely retarded mindset.
>>
>>35397190
>father died in his early 40s from cancer
>mother has scoliosis and severe depression since her childhood
>grandfather had 2 strokes
>grandmother has issues with her hip and mental conditions
>other grandfather has severe heart issues
>other grandmother has diabetes and dementia
I guess I shouldn't spread my seed....
>>
>>35392425
I had ovarian cancer(which was working its way into my blood) at 17, only history of breast cancer in my family(3 years of remission this thanksgiving!). Cancer can happen at any time, all it really is is a mutation in your cells when they multiply and divide. That's why chemo makes you hair fall out and gives you mouth sores, cause all it's doing is attacking cells that multiply faster than the rest. So you can get cancer anywhere at any time, but what prevents it is the map your cells try to follow coupled with the fact most mutations die because they fucked up.
>>35392581
>>35396846
Congrats you glorious bastards, are you still fertile? This will be the first year that i'm not 100% sterile.
>>
File: 1450977262963.jpg (123 KB, 537x536) Image search: [Google]
1450977262963.jpg
123 KB, 537x536
>all my dad's side of the family lives to 80-90, my uncle is 85 and still chops his own firewood and maintains his land
>all my mom's side of the family died in their 40s of every disease you can think of

I either want to die as a young man or live to see my kids grow up. I'd hate to die without fully raising my family.
>>
>>35397813
Literally shit-tier genetics, are you British or something?
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.