[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
i'm considering switching from stronglifts to starting strength
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
File: 506_large_image.jpg (135 KB, 800x1035) Image search: [Google]
506_large_image.jpg
135 KB, 800x1035
i'm considering switching from stronglifts to starting strength because i fucking hate doing rows. however i also don't want to try doing power cleans. what does /fit/ think of practical programming for strength training?

Monday
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench press / Press (Alternating)
Chin-ups: 3 sets to failure or add weight if completing more than 15 reps

Wednesday
3x5 Squat
3x5 Press / Bench Press (Alternating)
1x5 Deadlift

Friday
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench Press / Press (Alternating)
Pull-ups: 3 sets to failure or add weight if completing more than 15 reps
>>
please respond
>>
you don't have to do power cleans with SS though they are fun as fuck if you learn how to do them.
>>
>>31778558
i'd rather wait until i'm stronger before trying them
>>
>>31778611
why.jpg

It IS completely possible to learn powercleans as a dyel fag, as I did

Read the chapter at least twice
watch the SS video multiple time
take it slowly and concentrate on form first
and you can learn it too

as >>31778558 said, they are really enjoyable when you know how to do them

and expect traps DOMS at first even with an empty barebell, and traps gains later
>>
>>31778373
The only difference between the two is that SS has Power Cleans and SL has rows. Just do your cleans, they are fucking amazing.
>>
>>31779176
yeah but the one i posted (practical programming novice program) has chinups and pullups instead of either.
>>
Jesus christ opie stop analyzing shit and go lift some weights.
>>
>>31779246
i can't right now, got a slipped disc from doing rows (hence the thread)
>>
>>31779208
The practical programming novice program is a example novice program. SS as written in the third edition of Starting Strength is the program Rippetoe recommends people do.
>>
don't be afraid of cleans, they are great
if you practice at the end of each session for even 10 mins and >>31778892 do this you'll learn them in no time
>>
cin >> body
cout << "gains"
>>
>>31779349
what a 1337 hacker, anonymous is legion xD
>>
Just do the cleans man. They're actually really fun. Just load up the barbell with the smallest rubber weights you can and try it. Practice the the pull, hang clean, maybe front squat, and then practice putting them together. When you can do it smoothly, try adding 5 lbs. It'll take a few sessions but it's not that hard. I really regret waiting months to try them.
>>
>>31779349
Get that arrow shit out of here, we usin' printf/scanf
>>
>>31779253
You can hurt yourself during any lift. You just did them badly.
>>
>>31778373
Just do any other kind of row, rows actually don't matter much in SL. Your main goal in SL is upping your squat max. Secondary goal, up your DL and bench. Then you should try to up your OHP and rows.

I'd recomend continue with SL switching pendlay rows for dumbell rows if you hate them so much, then after finishing SL (5x5, 3x5 and 1x5 phases), do Candito's linear Strength/Hypertrophy programming (which is basically an upper/lower with two days of intensity and two days of volume and lots of customization).
>>
>>31779253
How the fuck did you slip a disc doing rows?
>>
File: amused cowboy.gif (1 MB, 200x118) Image search: [Google]
amused cowboy.gif
1 MB, 200x118
>>31779349
>>31781107
>2015
>still using c/c++
>>
>>31781825
>>31782099
>>31782221
been to the doctor and apparently it's not a slipped disc. so i guess once i recover i'll carry on with SL with pendlay rows instead.

what exercises should i do in the meantime? stuff that doesn't use the lower back. gonna do some curls, what else? chinups?
>>
>>31782330
>with pendlay rows instead
>instead
Dude you are supposed to do pendlay rows in SL.

>apparently it's not a slipped disc
Let me guess, you pulled a back muscle?
>>
>>31782899
>Dude you are supposed to do pendlay rows in SL.

yeah i looked up the difference after posting that and realised i'd already been doing pendlay rows. i'll do normal bent over rows.

>Let me guess, you pulled a back muscle?

he didn't say. just prescribed me some painkillers and anti-inflammatories and said it should be sorted within 4 weeks.
>>
>>31778373
You will never progress on pullups if you do only 6 sets to failure per week.
>>
>>31779349
> not flushing with << endl
>>
>>31785061
> using streams at all

fuck iostream and it's awful syntax. printf master race

> "the numbers are " << i < <", " << j << ", and " << k << "." << std::endl
or
> "the numbers are %d, %d, and %d.\n",i,j,k
>>
>>31778373
it doesn't fucking matter. just do heavy compound exercises with consistency.
>>
>>31778373
But but... ROWS ARE SO AWESOME OP
>>
>>31778892
what ss video?
>>
Practical Programming for Strength Training is a great introduction to periodization in routine building.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.