[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Running General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 10
Tips on form, best times, general discussion.

Where do you find good running programmes /fit/? I want to be able to run a mile and a half in under 10 minutes (currently at around 12, 11 if I run myself to near death) but most of what I see online are dubious menshealth magazine type programmes, I'm having difficulty finding a site or forum I can trust.

Am I going to have to go with the SS of running, C25K, or is there a decent proven routine for shorter runs?
>>
>unironically killing your joints
Just do jumprope neggor
>>
File: Puma Faas 300 V3.png (1 MB, 1366x671) Image search: [Google]
Puma Faas 300 V3.png
1 MB, 1366x671
I have a slower pace at about 8 min/mi. I don't sprint because it always messes up my calf so I stick with longer distance 5-7 miles and every once in a while a half marathon.
>>
>>31668106

>killing your joints
>on a board where people are encouraged to 315+ lbs of weight on their backs and squat deep and bounce
>>
Does anyone else live in a locale that due to unknown reasons... maybe the topography, bodies of water, weather patterns... you are ALWAYS running into the FUCKING WIND.

No matter where nearby you run, what direction, what time of day... ALWAYS WIND
>>
>>31669326
Lol this. So many misconceptions about running on this board.
>>
>>31669309
That's about where I am too. I'm cool with that though. A sub 10 minute mile is by no means a bad pace.
>>
File: 1382396498376.gif (495 KB, 194x172) Image search: [Google]
1382396498376.gif
495 KB, 194x172
>>31669367
At first I was obsessed with time but enjoy running more now not worrying about it.
>>
>>31669443
Agreed. It feels great to just get out on a nice day and go for a good 8 mile run. I can't stand being inside a gym so I'll never be a big guy, but running keeps you in great shape and serves as awesome stress relief.
>>
Fastest time for 5K is 19:40, is that acceptable?

Not a runner, just like to use a 5K as a general indicator of short range endurance. Prefer boxing/sprinting/kettlebells for cardio.
>>
>>31669547
Anything below 20 is pretty damn good. Average time for a 5k for most people is probably 25 to 30 minutes.
>>
My fucking shins hurt after running like 10 minutes

im also exhausted to deeath
>>
File: canelo combo.gif (2 MB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
canelo combo.gif
2 MB, 320x180
>>31669502
I can't wait for the summer night runs, dat breeze doe.

>>31669547
That is a really good time mine is about 24 minutes and I have been running a lot for the past few years just for fun.

Love boxing as well.
>>
>>31669588

Looking to get it to 18 flat, 6 minute miles is what's expected of intermediate level athletes - to get that'd be pretty cool.
>>
>>31669630
why is that white man assaulting that brown person
>>
>>31669630
Fuck yes. Summer night runs are amazing. Bonus points when you get back from your run right before a big thunderstorm rolls through.
>>
File: 1396568701473 rousey judo.gif (3 MB, 258x150) Image search: [Google]
1396568701473 rousey judo.gif
3 MB, 258x150
>>31669669
They are both Mexican kek

>>31669688
I caught by a couple storms last year. People look at you like you are psychotic when you run in the rain.
>>
>>31669807
Running through warm summer rain is awesome though. I love running on warm stormy nights.
>>
>>31668106
>board is called /fit/
>can't into long distance running

enjoy your useless body anon
>>
>a year ago I could run 15 km without stopping
>been lifting and eating
>now I can run 4 km without stopping
>thinking about running a marathon in 3,5 months, 42 km

no problem, r-right?

I'm also flat footed with duck posture.

some good marathon preparing programs? or just run run run?
>>
>>31668089

C25K is great.
>>
>>31669630
>>31669688
Texas anon here. Summer runs are pretty rough due to the heat, but the occasional storm makes it worth it.

I love it when they're off in the distance and they get closer and closer through an 8 mile run until you can smell the imminent rain right as you finish.
>>
How sore is too sore when doing C25K with minimalist shoes?
>>
>>31672628
Same as with any other exercise. You're the best judge of your own pain.
>>
>>31669623

Because your form is shit, I had the same problem. Get on a treadmill when the gym is empty, take your shoes off so you're just in socks, and start running with different form (landing in different areas of your feet). Once it clicks everything will change. I use to land on my heel and it was like stopping myself with every landing of my foot, then I tried landing on the front of my foot and it changed everything.
>>
>>31669807

hngngngngnggngnngngngng this

running late at night or early in the morning
>>
>>31672596
>smell the imminent rain

guys stop my penis can only get so erect
>>
>>31673509
Right? One of my top five favorite smells. Fuck I can't wait for summer.
>>
>>31669807
People run in the rain all the time faggot. People don't look at you like your psychotic.....
>>
>>31673587

Wow, what a helpful, constructive comment
>>
>>31668089
honestly one of the solid ways to get faster in your mile speed is to train endurance as well. You have to at least be able to do a 5k.

and fartleks

fucking fartleks man
>>
>>31668089
just keep trying to run it faster. do an occasional 2-3 mile run but mostly run the 1.5 a few times a week always pushing to go quicker.

mix it up and try some hills too

when were talking a mile at a 6ish minute pace, it's not about your actual speed, anyone could run that fast. its having the endurance to run that pace for 1.5 miles. so try to build endurance by doing longer distances.

im really hoping as the weather improves /fit/ stops being such faggots over running threads.
>>
>>31672628

If your shins really hurt, you gotta chill on that shit.

If the muscles are sore, keep going. You'll get over it. I know the first few weeks running in my minimalist shoes sucked, I got the most intense calf pumps and my feet hurt like a motherfucker, but it goes away.
>>
File: 1425756239979.jpg (201 KB, 576x576) Image search: [Google]
1425756239979.jpg
201 KB, 576x576
>>31668089
I'm a begginer, I want to learn, to be a good runner, it's not about, just go out and run...well it is, but you know, I got this knee problem, when I go out and do my running, I have to rest for about 1 or 2 weeks because it fucking hurts to the point I can do only walking, slow walking

last time I tried to run over 2 hours, well, troting (or whatever word it is, slow running, I dont do sprints cause I'm feeling too heavy) and I got this pain.

so, what do you think, please I know I'm not at my best, I suck, that's the point, I want to improve, pls I'd apreciate any tip you have
>>
Alright I hope this isn't too stupid of a question but how the fuck do I avoid getting mad ass blisters on my feet?

Lately been running and hiking, I've tried using running shoes as well as fucking boots (bad choice) and I always end up with some sick ass blisters on my soles to the point that I gotta stop and take a few days off.

Am I supposed to just keep going until it stops happening?
>>
>>31675441
try tightening your laces, starting near the toes of your feet
you're blistering because your feet are moving around in your shoes too much
>>
>>31675483

This.

One of the first things they yell at you in boot camp is to tie your fucking boots up as tight as you can get them. Then the leather breaks in, so you tie them tighter. Then about two weeks later everybody's feet aren't falling off.
>>
>>31675401
You're trying to do too much. Slow down.
Walk for a week for 10 minutes.
Walk for 5 minutes and jog for 2 minutes and walk for 3 minutes for a week.
Slowly keep adding more running into the 10 minutes.
Once you are running fully without any problems, begin increasing the time.

Keyword: slowly
>>
>>31675483
>>31675576
Will try this. Thanks.
>>
>>31669345
Fucking this

I'm leaving home and it's hitting me

I'm coming home at the end and it's still hitting me

What the fuck is this shit does it just change to fuck me?
>>
I sometimes I feel like Im some of the few who dont train for time or speed but just for distance. Like on average I get anywhere from 10-10:30 minutes a mile but I go for about 6 miles even though that isnt far for professional distance runners.
>>
Im going to start running again tomorrow after a 6 months break any advices?(I useed to run like 5,5 km in 32min i want to run 10km in 40 what to do?)
>I was not a pro
>>
brahs I'm super new to running and I crap out at like 60 seconds max even when jogging. I know, my stamina sucks. Is it just recommended that I go in like 60 second bursts with walking in between until I build up my stamina? How long does it take to build up your endurance enough to run like 20 - 30 minutes straight? How many calories do you burn with running? I know this is like 50 questions but yeah
>>
>>31675834
Just watch your form and don't stop, best way to build stamina.Learn to breathe also
>>
>>31669345
>>31675720
yall going too fast
>>
>>31675609
right, I'll start slowly, thanks for the tip, do you have any program I can follow?? any pic or something like that, I saw some of those, but I dont know how to look for them.
>>
>>31675834
Get a heart rate monitor. They're like forty bucks. Keep your pace under the aerobic level for slow jogs. Once or twice a week run hard for two mins, jog for one. Keep going
>>
File: couch-to-5k.jpg (101 KB, 554x1113) Image search: [Google]
couch-to-5k.jpg
101 KB, 554x1113
>>31675834
>>31675865
adding to that real quick

http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/lung-power

http://www.goodformrunning.com/learn-good-form-videos

and yeah you wanna build up. Run/walk/run/walk for 30 min till you're running the full 30. It's gonna suck. It's gonna feel like you're never going to have the endurance but then weeks later you realize you're running for 5 whole minutes when you couldn't even do it for a minute without feeling like shit.

And for calories it's going to depend on speed/distance/your weight so just estimate with something like this

http://www.runnersworld.com/tools/calories-burned-calculator
>>
>>31675775
Just take it slow. Do the 5km at a steady pace and don't worry about time for now till two or three weeks when you get back into it.
>>
>>31676139
thanks a lot dude
>>
Any sprinters? 400 is 55.5.
>>
>>31676241
np

on that note I've got a dog recently. Lab, maybe 4-5 years old given to me by friend who couldn't keep it. She's damn good dog. Loyal, listens, sweet as hell. She was around a lot of kids that wore her out often with fetch so I'm thinking of keeping her as a running buddy. I rarely go over 30 minutes of running. I took her out to the park, just for fetch. And tried running with her, we did 5 minutes and she seemed good and took to it fine. I guess I just worry because it seems dogs are more for a couple minute sprints than distance (even though I know I'm not going much over 3 miles).

I'll probably take her to the vet first and ask there but what does /fit/ think? Could or should a dog be ok with running about 30 minutes 3 times a week? Is 5 years too old? She seems perfectly healthy. I think if I get the ok from the vet I'd do something like c25k for a dog to get her into it slowly.
>>
>>31673587
>/fit/ tells me not to be a pussy and run in the rain
>shoes and socks get all wet
>get trench foot
>die

T-thanks /fit/
>>
>>31676416
she'll probably be fine and i doubt the vet will legitimately be able to tell you anything unless your getting her tested for heartworms or something.
just go for it and if she's reacting badly or seems too exhausted then slow the pace or stop.
>>
i've never done a running program
probably could've avoided certain pitfalls at the start if i'd done that

you can coach yourself using youtube, though
just look shit up
>>
>>31676447
ok yeah I've been looking it up and I think as long as I keep an eye on her for overheating and start slow it'll be ok. And keep to shade and bring water, let them piss/shit before you run.

I still just wanna check with the vet that she doesn't have like dog asthma or something I'd have to worry about.
>>
>>31676416
>>31676614
Racing breeds like greyhounds and whippets are sprinters, but in general dogs are distance runners like their wolf ancestors. I assume a healthy lab would be fine with a half hour run.

Still, good on ya for checking it with the vet first.
>>
>>31668089

I'm just getting into running, and doing C25K. I was just wondering if /fit/ could recommend a decent running shoe for someone on a budget.
>>
>>31675576
Boots and utes runs almost give me a hard on.
FUCKING LOVE THAT SHIT

Captcha: erewgo
>>
>>31676796
just read born to run and then convert to barefoot running with no further research. that's what i'm planning on doing at any rate.

that said just get something that's stable and has enough support. idk what your budget is but it's not to hard to get a decent shoe for less than 50.
>>
>>31676985
realized i didn't actually recommend anything.

my last three pairs have been asics, both the kayano and nimbus series. I've liked them all.

also if you can find a discontinued or older version of any brand's shoe then it'll be cheaper
>>
File: 1395732992233.jpg (7 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
1395732992233.jpg
7 KB, 275x183
>Been jogging a bit on an elliptical to try to get into shape, and make sure my heart doesn't give out before I'm thirty
>Been while since I stared doing it, don't always stick with it but still seeing significant improvements
>Finally lately managed to break 5 miles in an hour without my lungs shitting out on me halway
>Think I'm hot shit and look up online what average jogging speeds are to see how I rank
>Most are almost twice what I can do
>In fact what I was doing couldn't even be called jogging, as 5mph is actually just a fast walk
>>
I get knee ache after running long ish distances. Should I be worried or just power through?
>>
I'd like to combine running and weightlifting. Is there anyone here that runs 10km oir more a few times a week and squats heavy a few times a week? What's your routine like?
>>
File: sliG3.jpg (143 KB, 1680x944) Image search: [Google]
sliG3.jpg
143 KB, 1680x944
>>31672596
>>
>>31678768
>jogging a bit on an elliptical
thats your problem right there.
>>
>>31679138
How so anon? I'm no good at this fitness stuff.
>>
File: image.jpg (86 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
86 KB, 800x533
>>31678768
Lord almighty do I know that feel

Switched to running outdoors and got my 5km down to 25mins just running once a week. Best was 21mins and that was I felt a blistering pace, decide to check online and find out sub 20 is where shit gets real. Fuck.

Ain't nothing to it but to keep going brah, if it makes you feel better my drop from 32min 5kms to very low 20's didn't take as long as learning to learn how to hold a run (or slow job pace) consistently until reaching 5km. I've broken a plateau lately by simply pushing harder, realized I was just being content running 23min and wasn't pushing like I used to, tried to push hard and bam, down by 1.5mins out of no where. It's easy to get too comfortable when running as it's not do or die like increasing the weight on a barbell but you need to make it do or die yourself.

Best of luck, hopefully we make it to sub 20 together and to 30yrs old with good hearts
>>
>>31669688

I would prefer if it actually rained; or rather, that's the way I preferred it before I got zipped by a ground strike.

I ran in a hurricane that was downgraded to cat III about the time it was in my area. It was a pretty glorious experience.

Also, I suck a running. I gave it everything I had for five months, ended up with horrific skin splints, dropped 37 lbs, could run 9.5 min miles max, my long run was up to eight miles. And at that point I was only shaving a couple seconds a month off that time. I'm all healed up and want to take another crack at it, but I need to figure out where it all went wrong first.
>>
>>31669345
This is mainly the reason I don't run.
I live right next to the sea, and it's always windy.

Doesn't help that it's in the northern europe, which means that you get warm weather only starting May (if you're lucky)

>Cold
>Windy
>Rains fucking often

Fuck running here, I might torture myself with some heavy ass diddlylifts, but I ain't going out to run until it's sunny and calm.
>>
>>31679152
Different guy but running outside is best. Treadmill is a good alternative. I'd only recommend an elliptical if you had joint issues or were really overweight
>>
>right foot injured a few weeks ago, still hurts
>cant run without pain
>try swimming; left foot starts hurting after 3km
>wtf is wrong with my body

Pls, I just want to heal and star running long distance again. My life sucks if I cannot run, so far half of March has been ruined and apparently the first weeks of April too. Running-addiction is real.
>>
>>31679665
Well I use it because I'm poor and it's a hand me down from my father, who does have some joint issues. Thanks anyways anon, I guess I just didn't realize that this thing was not a very good choice for working out.
>>
>>31679665
what's the problema of an elliptical?

I'm exactly in the same situation as this guy >>31679741

I'm not fat nor have joint issues. I just use it because it's been lying around my place
>>
>>31680754
>>31679741

got me curious as well
>>
>have asthma
>avoided cardio all my life
>get winded from not even a mile

I'm not cut out for cardio and I feel like shit for being so unhealthy.
>>
>>31681001
There are people running below 3 hour marathons with asthma, what is your excuse?
>>
>>31668089

Smash all sorts of cardio activities and leg exercises. I do an intense cardio circuit every day, rest days I cycle, and I run only on mondays doing a 3 mile loop however although I just run once a week I smash an average 1.5 in 8:40 - 9:00 mark.It's all really mental at the end of the day. Legs and lungs are what you have to work for that shit, but if you want to get better I'd just say go anaerobic every time and you'll gradually improve.

-Source, I'm a Royal Marines Commando.
>>
>>31675732
Same I just run for exercise I'm not concerned about tracking time or miles with the running app I used. Though the route I usually go on is 7 miles which takes me an hour. I just run for the hell of it now and the delicious cardio bunnies. >>31675834
>>
>>31681001
you get winded after a mile because you've avoided cardio all your life, not because of asthma. I too got winded off of not even a mile the first time I got into running.

look at this 60 yr old with asthma that still runs
http://www.runnersworld.com/health/how-can-i-overcome-persistent-asthma

and look after one quick google for you:
http://asthma.about.com/od/asthmabasics/a/Tips-To-Keep-Running-With-Asthma.htm

Talk with a doctor, run outside when pollen is low, or run indoors on a treadmeal or indoor track, take your allergy shots and meds, run with a buddy that knows what's up and what to do if you have an attack, don't push yourself to hard but also don't just give it up because you're "not cut out for cardio". Bitch there are limbless dudes out there running right now this very morning.
>>
>>31681580
I'm planning on enlisting, any tips?
>>
>>31683994
Should probably say, do a 10min 1.5 (after 2.5 warm up) can run 8-9min miles all day yo
>>
HOLY FUCK MY SHINS ARE IN PAIN
Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.