[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/fit/ science 5.0
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 179
Thread images: 13
File: Walter-White-Stud-Muffin..png (179 KB, 560x315) Image search: [Google]
Walter-White-Stud-Muffin..png
179 KB, 560x315
Sup /fit/. Back for another round of your questions. Anything fitness/diet related. Try to keep it on topic.

If you still don't know who I am, I'm a PhD Biochemist with extensive knowledge of human metabolism. Any lifting questions are welcomed, I've also been lifting since undergrad studies.
>>
>>31589745
bump. Come with your questions, friends.
>>
>>31589745

Why do people still eat carbohydrates?
>>
>>31589773
>implying carbs are bad if you're not an obese person sitting on the couch all day
>>
How many sets/reps of diddylift should I do a week?

Is one rest day enough?

Can I do crosstraining on offdays like running?
>>
How much does your metabolism actually matter?

>gymbro discredits my progess due to muh-tabolism
>>
does cardio kill gains?
>>
>>31589745
I'll have a biology degree after this semester (premed)... So my question is:
Is creatine safe?
Is it safe to stop using creatine?
Should I use it year round (bulking/cutting cycles)
Does it all get absorbed by the muscles or does some get pissed out or stored somewhere else
I ask because my biochem teacher told the class that people who took creatine are dumbasses and it doesn't do anything.... Thanks :/
>>
File: Dad.gif (54 KB, 377x261) Image search: [Google]
Dad.gif
54 KB, 377x261
>>31589817

about tree-fitty
>>
File: horp.jpg (74 KB, 760x960) Image search: [Google]
horp.jpg
74 KB, 760x960
>>31589773
Carbs are incredibly important to anyone's diet. Eating protein without eating carbs wastes a good portion of the protein. Carbs are energy, protein is building blocks. Only cut carbs (and not entirely, either) if you're looking to lose weight. If you're lifting, carbs are necessary.

>>31589806
>islee islee
Per week is hard to answer. If you deadlift twice a week, go for 1-2 sets of no more than 5 reps. If once a week, 3 sets is fine, but still only 5 reps. You should never be tired DLing, as a single form slip could mean snap city.

One rest day isn't enough for most people. You want minimum two if you aren't juicing.

Rest day should be rest. You can go for a light job or a walk or some shit, but definitely nothing that would be considered cardio training.
>>
>>31589745
Is there a limit to how much protein the digestive system can absorb from a single meal sitting?

I see some dumb motherfuckers claiming you can't get more than 50-80g protein in a single intake and want a qualified source to clarify.
>>
File: 564646346243.png (150 KB, 419x415) Image search: [Google]
564646346243.png
150 KB, 419x415
>>31589855
>Carbs are incredibly important to anyone's diet. Eating protein without eating carbs wastes a good portion of the protein. Carbs are energy, protein is building blocks. Only cut carbs (and not entirely, either) if you're looking to lose weight. If you're lifting, carbs are necessary

>If you're lifting, carbs are necessary

>>
What's the best way to find a reliable mentor for your postdoc
>>
>>31589745
Ive been lifting foe a while and making gains, but recently ive been trying to bulk so have been eating more calorie dense meals and now that I'm eating 500kcal more than usual my stomach has been playing up. Will this settle when my body gets use to it?
>>
File: Funny-memes-top-faces-1.jpg (64 KB, 612x345) Image search: [Google]
Funny-memes-top-faces-1.jpg
64 KB, 612x345
>>31589817
Metabolisms do differ between people due to genetics. But not to some ridiculous extent that means you can gain all muscle and no fat and they can't do anything. People don't hit 350 lbs from genetics.

Also how does he discredit your progress? Metabolism (in the sense of burning calories) doesn't majorly effect muscle gains (unless you aren't eating enough)

>>31589849
kek biology
Creatine is safe. And it's safe to stop. You can use it year round, and you don't need to cycle it. A lot gets pissed out, I really don't think you need 5g/day for creatine level maintenance (you don't piss out 5g a day if you stop taking it, so taking 5g a day just means you're wasting some).

Creatine does have some effects, but the major effect that people see is water retention. Creatine is stored in solution in your body. So by taking creatine, your body stores more water in muscle tissue. Makes you look bigger. that's the #1 effect, imo.
>>
File: photo.png (14 KB, 88x88) Image search: [Google]
photo.png
14 KB, 88x88
>>31589875
Freelee the banana girl here to remind you that protein is bad and carbs are good... A raw vegan lifestyle is the most superior and people who eat meat or any source of protein besides soy is retarded...
>>
Anyone watching the truth about calories on BBC 2?
>>
>>31589875
do you even lift faggot?
>>
>>31589745
static stretching before lifting, is it bad?
>>
>>31589952
Bbc1 and yeah. Seems shit.
>>
>>31589933
Pea protein isolate is the superior protein
>>
>>31589863
Your body isn't going to piss out protein, and there isn't a hard cutoff, but the amount of usable material that you can take from an individual meal is kind of logarithmic. You absorb everything until a certain point, where energy absorbed starts to kind of taper. It makes more sense to spread protein intake out over the day. You WILL absorb more protein from 5 20g protein meals than 1 100g protein meal.

>>31589875
ketard detected

>>31589896
tbh I did research on this throughout grad school and ended up just sending out a fuckload of emails acting really interested in the group's research. I got like a 50% response rate, and went with the group that had the most interesting research and uni w/ well known faculty.

>>31589923
What do you mean playing up? Make sure you're eating alright. My first bulk started with lots of milk and I became lactose intolerant pretty quickly but I took like 2 weeks to figure it out.
>>
>>31589745
Does consuming meals within 30-60 minutes of a workout improve recovery a significant amount?
>>
>>31589933
go shitpost somewhere else.

>>31589977
Static stretching is for post workout. Prior to lifting do dynamic stretches and warm up ROM with low weight and stuff. Don't hold static stretches, as they don't prepare the body for load-bearing motion.
>>
how does the blood sugar levels affect lifting? if i could control it, what would i aim for when cutting/bulking?
>>
>>31590014
Not a significant amount, but there is evidence that ingestion of fast absorbing proteins (BCAAs) can halt catabolism and begin anabolism faster than normal. This means there's some credence to the "anabolic window."
>>
>>31589745
I know that in order to gain muscle I need to eat properly to get mass. The thing is, I'm on a very strict diet to lose weight, so I don't ingest nearly enough calories to build up, not that I want to at this point, that comes later, but I really enjoy lifting, feels like I'm high when I leave the gym, it's amazing, but my nutritionist said to stick to cardio and only do light walks, because I would get too tired. My question is, is that the only problem? Cause I can deal with tired, but I don't want to mess up something in the long run. Also, what is the effect of lifting when I don't eat enough calories to bulk up? Do I get more defined muscles or literally nothing happens?
>>
Why do people think being in ketosis means you're using up your adipose tissue? Wouldn't people be producing ketone bodies on a HUGE caloric deficit anyways?

Also what's the bare minimum of calories needed for a human in a day assuming they're supplementing to get essential fatty acids, vitamins and minerals.
>>
Yo bro,I have a question for you

When we eat carbs and there is enough glycogen/insulin or whatever the fuck happens when we eat carbs it's literally impossible to lose fat.I dont remember why,but I know its true.

Anyhow,what happens when we are on keto that keeps us away from losing muscle mass?I mean,is it because the body started using fats for fuel and use glycogen?

I think it's quite interesting.

Lets take a look on PSMF style diets,where you eat ~600kcals(that come from protein, from lean protein sources) a day on average that.It would be impossible to do this kind of diet eating carbs.

So another questions come to my mind: whats it that makes us able to lose fat on such a huge caloric deficit while on ketosis without fucking us up unlile if we were eating carbs on such a caloric deficit?Are we truly "made" to lose fat in ketosis?

Thanks m8 i'm really interested in this,also my apologizes for my probably bad english,hope you can understand me
>>
>>31590011
>what do you mean playing up
It feels like I've eaten too much food and I guess feels like irritated bowels bur with the need to release.
>>
>>31590099
*body started using fats and doesnt use glycogen(only a little for the brain)
>>
>>31590099
>When we eat carbs and there is enough glycogen/insulin or whatever the fuck happens when we eat carbs it's literally impossible to lose fat.I dont remember why,but I know its true.

INSULIN
N
S
U
L
I
N
>>
>>31590084
higher bloodsugar will give you more stamina for longer sets. i.e. 8 reps instead of 5. that's about it. It boils down to glycogen stores. However, your workout will probably be shorter, as you'll lose energy faster. High blood sugar increases glycogenolysis- or the "killing" of energy stores by the body. So it depends on your workouts what you're looking for. If you want to max out on bench, higher BS is better. If you have an hour long routine, normal BS is better. (Low = low energy, usually not favorable at all)
>>
explain the cause of kidney stones
>>
does it matter when you eat? as far as I know it averages out and it doesnt matter day to day, so is it fine to eat like a truck before going to bed or does sleeping/diggesting fuck with each other
>>
>>31590175
You touch yourself at night
>>
How much variability is there in the optimal rest period before performing a lift again? Advice tends to be very specific
>wait X days
and I'm always skeptical because it treats everyone the same and based on a 7 day week rather than the best possible schedule.

Related question, do rules like
>you can work a muscle again when the soreness goes away
have any validity?
>>
>>31589745

I eat 100 calories of oats. All these calories get digested slowly, and thus I store 10% or something of these as fat.

I eat 100 calories of white bread. All these calories get digested rapidly, so I store 30% or something of these as fat... and after I am out of calories to burn, I burn the fat.

Explain how simple carbs are bad for me, provided if they fit my macros.
>>
>>31589745
Okay, let me test you a bit (right or wrong questions):
1. For training drink, tap water is better than ionized water.
2. You could do your warmup (efficiently) by sitting in a sauna.
3. Alcohol in your blood physiologically decreases your power.
4. Recovery time is proportional to stress.
5. Different muscles require different compositions of amino acids to synthesize.
>>
>>31589745
What is the max time a weightlifting workout should be before you get too tired?
>>
How to safely strengthen or "fix" shitty knees?
>>
>>31590099
>>31590128
Could you answer me pls
>>
File: Solgar-L-Arginine-033984001404.jpg (132 KB, 535x1000) Image search: [Google]
Solgar-L-Arginine-033984001404.jpg
132 KB, 535x1000
>>31589745

Do phytochemicals matter at all?

I have a bottle of this. When should I take it?
>>
>>31590148
What?High blood sugar always help in lifting faggo

You know nothing John
>>
>>31590242
I'm going to bring this up the next time I meet with my accountant
>no, see, "income minus expenses" doesn't work here because I spread my spending out into little purchases throughout the day, instead of one big expense in the morning.
>>
i posted about this in a now deleted thread and you replied.

>24 years old, ~5'7" 145lbs
>no diagnosed disability
>can't dl/squat/bench 20kg after 3 months of working out regularly

thoughts on what is wrong with me?
>>
>>31590310
eat more.
correct your form.
see a physio.
sleep more.
>>
>>31589745
I have peaked in weight gains. I eat constantly because I work in a kitchen and drink two protein shakes a day while grazing.
My workout is 5 days a week for about 1 hour each. Chest/Back/legs/arms/shoulders-traps

I do around 4-6 reps at 3 sets in each muscle group. I.e flat/incline/decline bench, cable flys, dumbell flat

I don't want to cut, I want to gain weight. Do not care if it is fat.

Should I be doing 4-6 reps @ 3 sets for 1 hour, no circuts?

Or change my routine for more gains?? If so, what do you suggest for a 6'0 150 male
>>
>>31590011
>and I became lactose intolerant pretty quickly

wat

you don't happen to mean that you weren't fully lactose tolerant in the first place and drinking too much milk made it pass the manageable threshold right?
>>
>>31590338

i've been eating a lot, i started off at around 132lbs 3 months ago. i get at least 8 hours of sleep a night too.
>>
>>31590091
Lifting on a cut is tough. You won't see gains, but you'll burn more fat than just eating at a deficit, which is i suppose the goal. if you don't eat a lot of carbs (as is common with diets), you'll have less energy stores, and not only will you not be building muscle, you'll have lower energy while at the gym. It's not doing any damage, and if you like it keep at it. But don't expect to make gains yet.

>>31590098
Ketosis frees the fatty acids from adipose tissue. The tissue itself doesn't really deteriorate, but it depletes due to fat loss. Yes, but ketone bodies aren't a solid energy source. I don't recommend keto.

Bare min as in to maintain weight? Because actual minimum is zero. But if you mean to maintain, it depends on the person. A 5'0" 100lb woman needs fewer calories than a 6'6" 220 lb man. In general, to maintain weight, a man needs 2200-2400, a woman needs 1800-2000 but it varies with body weight and height.

>>31590099
Gluconeogenesis. Body produces enough glucose (from GNG cycle) to use the proteins from the remaining diet to build muscle or whatever. Yes, you also use the fatty acids and make ketone bodies, but eh. I don't recommend keto.

>>31590118
Try some tums or some shit. You're probably just not used to eating at a surplus. You'll get used to it. In the mean time take antacids or whatever to counteract symptoms.
>>
>>31590347
People who have the lactase persistence gene can get "secondary lactose intolerance" if their gut bacteria get out of whack. It usually happens after an injury to the intestines, but I suppose a shitty diet could do it.
>>
>>31590364
Interesting. Would this be reversible or permanent?
>>
>>31590338

>Can't DL 20kg
How do you function in life? Like when I pack a bag for holiday it weighs 20kg... bench I can vaguely understand, but DL..

Or is this le epic troll?
>>
>>31590354
Thanks for the reply. In that case, I won't go back to the gym yet, I'll keep up the cardio and carry on my sledgehammering the tire
>>
I don't really care much for hitting perfect numbers on my micro nutrients according to myfitnesspal I eat about 10g too much of fat each day and too little carbs but my protein is always 1g per lb will not hitting my micro nutrients and instead focusing very much on my calories hurt me big time?
>>
>>31590354
Are refeed days where you eat at maintenance for a day, actually effective when losing weight at a 500+ caloric deficit?

Do they actually keep your metabolism in check?
>>
>>31590391

well im a NEET and i very rarely leave my house so i don't really need to do anything like that
>>
>>31590266

What do you mean by shitty? Need examples/more info
>>
do multi's do anything or are they a waste of money? i hear two very different opinions constantly on this board
>>
>>31590430

btw i get muscle soreness in my legs just from walking normally so i feel like i have very little muscle
>>
>>31590175

Dehydration, Crohn's, some metabolic disorders, some diet things like very high protein, refined sugar, vit c and other things (for the diet it usually needs to be in combination with dehydration)

First line treatment? Usually drink masses of water
>>
Is miscellar casein a good supplement to use for bed? Or is it a myth that you go catabolic during sleep (let's assume this protein hits their protein requirement for bodybuilding, I.e. .8g-1.2g protein per pound bodyweight
>>
>>31590385
Reversible.
>>
>>31590430
>>31590452

Muscle soreness from walking doesn't sound normal...how far for soreness to occur? During or after? Any other symptoms?. Is there anything else you're not mentioning?
>>
>>31590437

Do you get enough in your diet normally? Don't need them.

Do you not get enough/want even more? Could be something to think about definitely
>>
>>31590175
Eating too many minerals with not enough water. Minerals accumulate. Truly horrible, but if you drink enough water you generally don't have to worry.

>>31590199
If you go 23h59 min without eating, your body will dip into energy stores which is generally not favored if you're trying to build muscle. If you keep a somewhat regular schedule, this won't happen

>>31590229
Usually 72 hours is required between working out the same muscle group. So if you lift chest on monday, you shouldn't lift again until that time on thursday. But that means actual rest with adequate sleep.

I wouldn't trust the soreness thing. That can depend on a lot, like stretching and all that. I would stick with 72 hours as a good number. (But again, adequate rest).

>>31590242
You don't burn the fat, usually. Your body stores fat for the long haul. Also blood sugar spike, etc. You feel worse. Eat oats and do squats.

>>31590245
You're testing me? I don't give a fuck "Anonymous"

>>31590253
Depends on the person. You shouldn't go to exhaustion. Keep it to 50-75 reps per muscle group for muscle mass gain. (i.e. 3 or 4 exercises per muscle group, and train two muscle groups per lift). I do chest and tris for monday, so that's a few isolations with mostly compounds, so it comes out to 6 total exercises rather than 7 or 8 because bench works both chest and tris. do u feel.

>>31590266
depends on how they are shitty. Ligaments/collagen problems can be permanent or require surgery.

>>31590306
false.

>>31590310
post body pics or something. You either need to eat more or fix form. Post in form checks and stuff. But srsly body pics?

>>31590344
what? you do 4-6 reps for 3 sets in each muscle group or in each exercise?

>>31590347
Well it became very apparent that I was lactose intolerant to some extent that I had not noticed drinking 1-2 glasses of milk prior to bulking.
>>
>>31589745
Why don't you recommend Keto?
>>
>>31590529
So if I needed a bit more nutrients in my diet, I'm not just pissing most of my multi out when/if i take it?
>>
>>31590545

A good multi you should be able to absorb some/most of the vitamins you need. Obviously if you've already got enough then your body won't use it, and will either store it or get rid or not absorb it in the first place

Ask yourself why you want to take a multi, and which specific things you want to increase, otherwise your throwing money away.

There is always the other option of eating more fruit/veg as well
>>
>>31590354

Wait minimum is zero? A person can live on zero calories a day? I meant bare functional minimum. Let's say someone was fucking around with Albuterol/T3 Hormone/EC stack and decided to go on the bare essentials to not die in a day.
>>
>>31590406
Just take a multivitamin, is it that hard?

>>31590414
there's some shit on leptin levels out there, but it's not super well understood, so I can't give you a solid answer. I would say take the long but well founded road of eating at a 200-300 kcal deficit rather than 500+. But whatever works.

>>31590437
pretty much what
>>31590529
said.

>>31590452
sounds like you have a problem. I would imagine if you told a dr. you couldn't pick up 20 kgs off the floor they'd be concerned.

>>31590478
k

>>31590496
you don't go catabolic during an 8 hour sleep, and any "losses" are from energy stores your body is using to do necessary maintenance. People have been sleeping forever. Don't fuck with it
>>
>>31590545
>>31590589

Also bear in mind bio-availability tends to be better from food than multis, don't ask for a citation though as this is just mum/bro/made up science so no idea if it's actually true...

There is also the approach of it can't do much harm even if you already have enough in your diet, just be careful with some things like Vit A, Vit K where overdose is dangerous
>>
>>31590609
>there's some shit on leptin levels out there, but it's not super well understood, so I can't give you a solid answer. I would say take the long but well founded road of eating at a 200-300 kcal deficit rather than 500+. But whatever works

Cool, thanks for the response man.
>>
File: 1410637122812.jpg (44 KB, 384x313) Image search: [Google]
1410637122812.jpg
44 KB, 384x313
If I lift 3 times a week and do cardio twice a week, should I use moderate or lightly active for TDEE calculators?
>>
>>31590515

during, only about 5minutes walking or so is enough. i get side stitches while walking too.

only other thing i guess is that my lifestyle from the age of 14 or so has consisted of sitting at my PC all day and not much else, so i guess my muscles haven't really developed at all
>>
>>31590540
body needs carbs, son. Nomatter what people say, glucose is the body's best energy source. We were built for it. The body using fats and protein for energy is less than ideal, but works. So people can say whatever they want about keto, but it's not as good for the average human as just eating NONPROCESSED carbs.

>>31590545
A oneaday costs like 5 cents a day. I would say it's worth it regardless unless you're sure you always get enough.

>>31590601
Nigga wat. It depends on the person. If you want to go into african starving child/holocaust mode, you can probably live indefinitely on ~500 kcals a day, but have no energy and always be on the brink of starvation. You're way more prone to disease and illness, and that's what's likely to kill you at that point.
>>
Have you researched gear?

Would be cool to ask about some of the science behind that if you understand that stuff better than me
>>
>>31590539
I do 4-6 reps for each exercise, not muscle group. For each muscle group I haven't counted.

So today I did plate loaded shoulder press, dumbell shoulder press, dumbell shoulder raise front, dumbell shoulder raise side, cable sword draw, cable scarecrow.

Then a burnout set on a machine for delts starting at 100 and ending at 10.

I alwas try 6 reps at 3 sets in each exercise.

Like I said I see strength in my gains just not mass/weight.
>>
>>31590644
Moderate. Those things are built for hamplanets, too.

>>31590666
nigga go to a hospital
>>
Not sure if this is up your alley, but I aways wake up around 5am, and must piss before I can fall back asleep. Will this affect my gains?
>>
Since I started lifting 2 years ago I've started drinking a lot of low fat milk (2 liters per day). Is this bad?
>>
>>31590672
I have not but I have a good understanding of most hormones. You can ask away, I won't BS. I'll just tell you if I don't know enough

>>31590698
Sounds like a fuckload of volume for just shoulders. Do this for me: Count up total reps for each muscle group each day. If the number is over 75, you have too much volume per group per day. More than 75 reps gives you diminishing returns.
>>
>>31590431
>>31590539

Not sure. They get sore easy, especially sitting cross legged. Kind of like the tibia rotates. I don't know. I'm kinda dumb.
>>
>>31590715
>2015
>not pissing sheets every night to preserve gains
never going to make it
>>
>lost about 40 lbs
>start trying to lean bulk after a while
>+300 calories
>3 weeks into it, check weight
>down 3 lbs

what? pls help

I thought my metabolism was shit so this doesn't make sense
>>
>>31590666

Nice trips satan

Seriously, see a doc. Muscle soreness on such little exertion is pretty worrying, even if you haven't done anything else since 14 you should be able to walk for 5 minutes, your BMI is in the healthy range as well...

But seriously, doctor. There's only so much we can say off 'muscle soreness during walking and a stitch'

Pic would be helpful

Any previous medical conditions?
>>
>>31590746
Have you ever had knee injuries?

>>31590725
Nope. People will tell you there's nonsense about hormones and shit, but the only risk is that you may be at higher risk to develop lactose intolerance.
>>
>>31590746

Work on flexibility, also strengthen the supporting musculature- squats will help here.

See a physio as well, knees are properly tricky
>>
>>31590784
Thanks, I am dutch/austrian masterrace so I think I'll be fine regarding lactose intolerance.
>>
>>31590766
It's almost as if the shit about metabolism and genetics is BS!

Yeah, eating clean makes it much harder to pack on weight. A gram of fat is 9 kcal, a gram of oats is 4. It's harder with less fat. Make sure you're sticking to your diet, and drink enough water. 3 lbs can easily be attributed to dehydration, especially when eating clean.
>>
>>31590671
I am on less than 500kcals a day, but I take a shitload of supplements. But at this point the weight will kill me if i don't lose it so I'm going all in
>>
>>31590745
Sure thing

Say I'm on 800 mg of testosterone/week at the moment, which depending on variables puts me somewhere around 5-8x higher on testosterone levels than the average male.

What ultimately makes me a superman compared to the average joe? I recover faster, get stronger and bigger faster, what's that all about?

Second question is about trenbolone, which seems to be able to give you significant strength and muscle gains even on a caloric deficit (for example me going from 97kg 13% to a 96kg in the single numbers)? Isn't that somewhat against the laws of physics?
>>
>>31589745
How bad is it to drink alcohol while cutting?
>>
File: t0yCyQz.jpg (161 KB, 480x1600) Image search: [Google]
t0yCyQz.jpg
161 KB, 480x1600
>>31590820
I'm german and hit dat lactose intolerance hard when I was 20.

>tfw /fit/ goal is to be featured is a sir comic
>>
>>31590768

no previous conditions. i guess i should see a doctor but the whole thing is very embarrassing. im considering just giving up and accepting my fate
>>
>>31589745
whats the easiest way to get those underarm steroids?
Can I have DNP prescribed?
>>
>>31589745
Since you don't recommend the keto diet for cutting, what would you recommend? Was going to do keto only for a few months but I'm not sure now.
>>
>>31590745
Dear lord... At 6 reps for each set that would be around 150. So go heavier and do less volume?

That didn't even include the burnout
>>
>>31590836
I hate to say it, but the tried and true method of losing weight is cardio, lifting, and a moderate deficit.
>>
File: screen.jpg (64 KB, 861x677) Image search: [Google]
screen.jpg
64 KB, 861x677
>>31589745
What do you make of this, science guy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgnbRK8pij8

He talks about pretty obscure reasons to account for the obesity epidemic. But what I wonder is has caloric intake actually been RISING since the 1980's, which would pretty much explain everything in a much more simple way? It is intuitive that the success of very calorie-dense foods would cause this sort of thing to happen.
>>
>>31590087
Isn't the reason that BCAAs are important because they are relatively scarce except for in muscle tissue - so when the body demands them it catabolizes muscle.
I don't think BCAAs are more easily absorbed.
>>
>>31590846

NO.

Don't fucking pussy out of seeing a doctor because it's 'embarassing'- what do you think they'll do? Laugh at you and chuck you out?

Seriously, they are there to make you better and help you, no matter how serious or stupid you think it is. You have a serious problem, I mean come on man, you're meant to be at the peak of your physical fitness and you get a fucking stitch when you walk for 5 minutes? You can't even pick up a heavy bag! Get your ass to a doctor, find out what the problem is, and go and lift some HEAVY ASS WEIGHT
>>
>>31590763
It helps keep me warm

But for real it's annoying as fuck and I'm not sure how to stop it. I've tried not drinking water before bed but my body still wakes up, as if it's conditioned to wake up at that time.
>>
>>31589745

I am a not a very wealthy man and have to resort to eating foods found in American supermarkets to support my training. I usually get stuff like white rice, potatoes, wheat bread, eggs, whole milk, tuna, peanut butter, meats, and some greens all from the "Big Name" places near my home.

My question is, is it really so damaging on the body to consume these foods when they are apparently laced with chemicals and hormones? Am I harming myself even though I follow a good training routine and am seeing positive results (will be 29 this year but have never been as fit as I am now)? Will I be paying for eating these shitty foods when I am an old man?

I appreciate your insight.
>>
>>31590855

Wut? Underarm steroids?
>>
>>31590784

No injuries that I know of. I think I just spent too much of my life sitting around. They get weak.

>>31590787

Trying to squat is one of the reasons I realized they were a problem. I can't tell if my form is bad or my knees just too weak to handle it.
>>
>>31590539

How much sugar can I consume a day without fucking my blood sugar up?

And please answer these as well, Mr. Science Man:

>>31590299
>>
>>31590868

In regards to keto do you ever think people are losing more weight on it because they're finally getting all the B vitamins they missed for proper metabolic function?
>>
>>31590919

Is it disrupting your life? Do you feel tired during the day?

In between sleep cycles people can and do wake up, then go back to sleep again afaik

I remember reading somewhere (can't remember where) that say 500 years ago when people did fuck all once it was dark so they went to bed earlier and got up before dawn, there was often a period in the middle of the night where people woke up and did shit for an hour or so before going back to bed, completely naturally... no idea how true that is though
>>
>>31590838
Oh, so T just increases protein synthesis. Your muscles repair faster than the average male's, so you can workout more often and get bigger.

Tren decreases catabolism significantly, so eating at a deficit (which would normally result in catabolism - muscle breakdown) doesn't cut muscle. So you can still gain strength. It's not against physics, you just lose fat insead of muscle. That's not biologically favorable at ALL, but nonetheless it happens.

>>31590842
You'll see more strength loss than normal, that's about it. Alcohol is bad for gains, but so is cutting.

>>31590859
You can do it, but it's bad for overall health. Ketosis is not great, but I'll admit keto is decent for fat loss. I would recommend a modest deficit, as boring as it sounds. (200-300 kcal deficit)

>>31590861
Yeah. That explains a lot. Personally I work out 5 days a week, but each day is two muscle groups. So I do about 100 reps, but some are compounds of the two groups (bench for chest and tris, for example), so it works out to about 75 reps per groups, with some of those reps workout both group.
>>
>>31590940

There are many reasons for failing to be able to squat, one of the most common is mobility.

If your knees are ok in day to day life then it would seem like they're pretty stable, hence not the problem when you squat. The problem could manifest itself there, but actually be due to a muscular imbalance/muscle tightness/poor form etc
>>
>>31590845
sir comics are the best
Have you been drinking milk since child? What are some factors for higher chance of lactose intolerance besides consuming it?
>>
>>31590993
Know anything about zinc, iron supplementation? And what are common missed vitamins/minerals?
>>
>>31590871
I don't want to watch a whole video - but what is sounds like is he's trying to to blame his potentially obese audience for their fatness? I'm just guessing. What are his points? Sorry I can't watch, I'm in a symposium not paying attention to some speaker about biotechnologies.

>>31590918
this.

>>31590919
Do you have to piss all the time? That could be bladder cancer or some shit. If it's just at night, I don't know what to tell you. Is it that bad?

>>31590927
GMO is fine. People that say its not are sensationalist idiots. There aren't hormones, and most places advertise no pesticides were used, etc. They're fine for you. There's absolutely no way we could feed everyone without modifying food.

>>31590940
Do your knees bend out in front of you when you squat? It's hard to say what the problem is without a form check. Next time you squat, take a video and post in a form check thread.

>>31590956
Pure processed sugar is sure to lead to a spike in BS, but that should subside. A lifetime of eating processed carbs and sugar will lead to the beetus, though. Try to stick to less processed carbs and limit sugary drinks to a minimum.

Phytochemicals could be important as vitamins, but you get enough from eating normal things. You don't need any phytochem supps, please don't buy them if they exist.

Arginine is good for boners, if I recall correctly. Not much else benefit.

>>31590976
No. It's from the fat burning and GNG. You could be on to something, but the main reason is the ketosis.
>>
>>31591019
I always wonder if the structure of milk changed to much during the last 30 years because of the changed food and hormones they are giving to the kettle.
>>
>>31591019
I buy Lactaid. It's just as good as reg milk, but a dollar more a gallon. Fuggit. Factors are random, not even genetic sometimes. Some people get it from GOMAD.

>>31591064
Iron is good for women, you probably don't need it as a man unless you're a vegetarian.
>>
Should I do cardio on my days off? I squatted yesterday and today I tried to cycle and my legs started to ache. It has never happenned before
>>
>>31591104
>They're fine for you. There's absolutely no way we could feed everyone without modifying food

Zumindest wenn wir unser derzeitiges Verhalten beibehalten wollen.

Wie wärs denn wenn wir zuerst die Verteilungssysteme und Anbaumethoden optimieren bevor wir an den Genen rumpfuschen. Meiner Meinung nach sind GMOs einfach Geschäftemacherei und keineswegs ungefährlich.
>>
>>31591108
>structure of milk

Milk is a homogenous mixture of proteins. That hasn't really changed much. The only difference is ILG inclusion, which is a growth factor that doesn't effect much in human metabolism.
>>
>>31590539
Right answers are: right, right, right, right, right
The more you know
>>
>>31590989
I feel tired when I wake up at 5am but when I go back to sleep and wake up normally I usually feel ok. Not really tired as if I hadn't gotten any sleep. Maybe it's just the sleep cycle thing
>>
Does prolonged periods of cutting affect testosterone levels? If so is there any way to combat it?

On an unrelated note, my cum dries up very quickly, <1min, and it turns into transparent flaky pieces.
>>
Biochemistbro, will you come to my birthday party next Tuesday?
>>
does eating soy increase estrogen?

if so, how much?
>>
>>31591143
Eh. If you take 3 or more days off, cardio is okay on one of the days, But if you're on a 5 day, I would take two full rest days.

>>31591155
Kek, Deutschfag. Monsanto is definitely a money mongrel, but the idea GMOs is necessary for the future of humanity.
>>
>>31591196
>On an unrelated note, my cum dries up very quickly, <1min, and it turns into transparent flaky pieces.

Zombie virus carrier detected
>>
Is nofap beneficial?
>>
>>31590927
Worry less about the chemicals and shit, and worry more about getting the right carbs..

>white rice
>potatoes

nigger what are you doing? brown rice and sweet potatoes
>>
>>31591232
I asked him this last time and he says it's okay so long as you only fap to gay porn. Seems legit, I'm making gay porn gains out the ear. No homo.
>>
>>31591176
._.

>>31591192
REM cycle. If I get 7.5 hrs sleep, I can wake up fine. If i get 9, I'm groggy as fuck.

>>31591196
That is an unrelated note.

>>31591201
Where do you live?

>>31591209
Jury is still out. In my personal experience, I've seen way more gains eating carnivore protein (beef based) than eating soy based protein. Like to a ridiculous extent.

Backstory: I was born to not make it. I'm allergic to whey, peanuts, and peas. I'm lactose intolerant. But through some modern miracles, I can still eat at a surplus and make gains. So I tried soy protein (Builders bars) and got nogains for like 2 years, then switched to Carnivor Beef Protein, and immediately saw gains within 3 months. Stuck with it ever since. Mix it with lactose free milk (suck it, koshers)
>>
>>31591159
So you tell me grasfed milk is the same as soy-meal milk? And there are no remains of the medication they give the cows?
>>
Wow seems like we finally have something good here again.
Is there any way to get my joints stronger? Exercise or something to eat which will help?
Keep up those threads man! Thanks based walter
>>
>>31591232
lol i remember saying
>>31591251

But really, if you fap after lifting it makes no difference, Fapping before can lower motivation.
>>
>>31591263
>Where do you live?
Ireland.
>>
If I would be deficient in pyruvate carboxylase would I be able to survive?

>This was a question on my biochem exam
>>
>>31591267
No there are. There's a higher occurance of insulin-like growth factor. It just hasn't been shown to have much of an effect on humans.

>>31591269
Get me in a sir comic and I'll owe my life to /fit/
Joint strength is a tough one. If you don't have bone density problems and you get enough calcium, your joints should be fine. Have you noticed any specific problems while lifting? Joint pains tend to be traced to ligament problems or collagen deterioration.
>>
>>31589745
Effects of alcohol on human body/lifting. How much is ok to drink? Would drinking less/not at all be healthier/make me stronger? I drink about 2-3 guinesses a week, sometimes less.
>>
Is there anything I can do to facilitate recovery when coming off amphetamines? I've been taking them for 8 years when I was misdiagnosed with ADHD. I've been lowering the dose for about a year and I'm currently at the lowest dose of lisdexamfetamine. I tried to stop taking it for the past few days and I felt completely exhausted. I couldn't think at all much less lift, it's like I couldn't even process what was going on around me. Right now it took me like 30 minutes to write this post, it's that bad. Is there anything I can get more of in my diet to come off this shit better?
>>
Docs say my bmr is 1677. Is it even possible? been cutting for a month but only lost 1 kg. How can I increase muh metabolic rate.
>>
>>31591289
If you fly me from Boston Logan to Ireland, I'll be at your party.

>>31591290
Pyruvate carbox is necessary to replenish the TCA cycle. If you have a deficiency and you're a ketofag, you'll probably die. Otherwise, as long as you eat enough carbs and don't need GNG too often, you'll be okay. The TCA cycle can replenish at other points, not just pyruvate to oxaloacetate. u feel
>>
Should I still eat at a deficit if my maintanance is around 1200 cal but want to lower my bf%? Im a small framed 5 foot grill but common sense tells me anything less than 1000 a day seems ridiculous and bordering on an eating disorder
>>
Are rest days important?
>>
>>31591307
nigga you're fine. I drank 5 beers yesterday and pr'ed my deadlift +10 kg. All those carbs are pretty awesome.
>>
>>31591307
Technically all alcohol is effecting gains. A few beers a week isn't anything to worry about, but there's no "safe" amount. All alcohol is metabolised to acetaldeyhde and so on.

>>31591320
Sounds like you may be dependent. You probably should talk to your regular physician about this. There are methods of letting you off.

>>31591353
legally? Caffeine. But other than that, I'd just stick to the diet and workout. Cardio and such. Your body has to get the energy from somewhere.
>>
Hey Walter
Sorry if it sounds like shitpost, but is there a formula for !maximum fatloss without muscle loss?
Why do people feel hungry, yet have already eaten over their TDEE?

I would do psmf, but I have not enough money for chicken, thus intermittent fasting also sounds nice.
Or should I just do the -20% cut?

Also, what do you think of bioinformatics and genome research?

Thanks Walter.
>>
>>31591378
how do you know maintenance is 1200? Do you need to lose weight? And I've been saying a 200-300 kcal deficit is normal, but that's for a normal diet of around 2000-2500. You shouldn't cut 300 if your maintenance is 1200. You should cut more like 100.

>>31591382
yes.

>>31591391
he has a point. The carbs do boost glyc levels, but the alcohol was hurting.
>>
Hey Walter, thanks for sharing your info. It's greatly appreciated. Any thoughts on IF in regards to trying to build muscle? Do you think it's beneficial or negative overall or does it just depend on the individual?
>>
>>31591303
I had a growth disturbance which fucked up my knee a bit but thats not a problem anymore. Thats about it as far as i know. Im a former fatty and had problems with dips which would hurt my wrist.Fixed that with gloves and since i lost weight its nomore a thing. My biggest problem at the moment is that after my self defenc training my wrist hurts and if i do a sport like handball my elboe joints will hurt a bit.
>>
>>31591470
Not really a formula. Your body will lose muscle before fat because muscle costs more energy to have. You're never going to find a cut that loses only fat without any muscle/strength losses.

I'd go with 12-15% cut.

bioinformatics is neat. Personally I find CS super boring and mundane, but whatever floats your boat. Genome research is pretty important and will be even more so in the future.
>>
>>31591375
fugg I got that wrong
>>
>>31591479
people don't talk a lot about intermittent fasting. It's actually one of the more proven and healthy diets, but just make sure you're eating healthy when you aren't fasting. Intermittent fasting with shit diet is awful.
>>
I been fatting it up in prep for a weight loss challenge at work. I'm fine with losing muscle and fat, I just wanna go back to thin and make a few hundred dollars.

My plan is to eat lots and drink many glasses of water at weight in, then do a 1500 calorie a day diet (my mait. is 2000 due to being sedentary at work). I plan on doing another 1000 calories worth of cardio in running and biking every day, so 1500 cal intake, 3000 calorie outtake every day for 10 weeks ending on a 24 hour fast before last weigh in. All my biometrics are healthy at 225 on a 6ft frame. WIll I die?
>>
>>31591544
Thank you very much for the reply. I've been toying with giving it a try, my only concerns were being able to meet my caloric needs in the eating window (8 hours), while eating healthy. I'll give it a try. Thanks again.
>>
>>31591532
what did you say?
>>
>>31591556
You won't die, but a 1500 kcal deficit is pretty high. You may not feel great, and if you aren't careful you'll balloon back up.

If you want, you can just sue your company saying weight loss isn't necessarily healthy, muh genetics, fatism, etc if you need the cash.
>>
>>31589745
Why does my hearing occasionally go out/become impaired while lifting weights or doing intense cardio? I'm assuming it's blood pressure related?

Unrelated, but why does muscle control not return immediately upon "waking up" one that has fallen asleep? Basically after circulation is restored to a muscle, why do I have a difficult time walking around for a minute or two?
>>
>>31591625

Thank you very much, Ill exit the challenge with a 200-300 cal deficit for a few more weeks getting macros (which I planned to during the challenge anyhow) to carefully get my body out of store-all-energy mode.
>>
How bad is it to not have consistent sleep. I'm having a lot of trouble staying asleep and find myself waking up a lot during the night.

Also how much does frame size affect appearance at the same weight?
>>
Best diet for height gains?

Best diet for brain gains?
>>
>>31591782
Not op, but have you tried taking diphahydramine (aka benadryl) ? It's not habit forming and will definitely help you get a good rest.
>>
Doc, will I get mind gainz if I listen to an audiobook(Say something from /sig/) while lifting?

Is there any study on that? I don't know what I'm asking I hope you understand what I mean.
>>
>>31589745

How many egg yolks a day?
>>
>>31591104
>>31590871
He is explaining that the current scientific evidence for the obesity epidemic have to do with a trend in sleep deprivation (people get two hours less sleep which fucks with the productions of certain hormones that can mix up hunger urge and your urge to sleep), epigenetic factors, regular genetic factors, the age at which your mother gave birth (he says the correlation is real but no one has any fucking clue why it's there), widespread climate control of household interiors (supposedly heat regulation requires a lot of calories, which that we don't need to use anymore), the downward trend in cigarette smoking (since nicotine is a hunger suppressant), and certain industrial chemicals (but he was super vague about this).

Here are his sources (from description) but they're pretty sparse: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zWDdBUHA-GkvjbodZCgrVQDyMTDUd5SWnLI4dEjkAek/edit

This guy's a physics expert so I don't think he's an authority on this subject, but his shows are usually pretty reputable.

What I don't understand is how can there NOT be an upward trend in average daily caloric intake, or a downward trend in TDEE, or some combination of both, with developments like more white collar jobs and sitting around, in combination with the massive popularity of calorie-dense foods.
>>
>>31591830
Thanks anon, I'll look into that.
>>
whats your opinion on carb cycling?
>>
Doc, I'm 220lb 5'11" 24 y/o I've never lifted in my life, if I eat at a deficit @ 1800 calories a day will I still see no gains at the gym while I'm lifting during my cut to 170lb because I'm eating at a deficit?

Also will I have loose skin that makes me look hideous, I've been fat my whole life except last year I cut down from 245 to 190.

Pls response.
>>
>>31591851
I don't know of any studies on that. But I feel like I would have trouble focusing on an audiobook with 300 lbs on my back.

>>31591864
depends. If you aren't on a diet, there are great fats and proteins. Yolks aren't good for people that are cutting though.

>>31591931
I think all of the things he listed are side factors. The big ones are poor diet. Not necessarily eating a lot, but eating bad food. I don't think nicotine has anything to do with it. There are a lot of young fatasses that never smoked. I think a lot of these are correlation, not causation. Life has changed a lot in the past 50 years, but that doesn't mean it's all related. I.e. women give birth at an older age because they are more likely to have career and stuff. Doesn't mean it's related to the fact that people have stopped smoking.
>>
>>31592109
don't.

>>31592142
no. You'll still get some beginner gains due to form improvements, some muscular gains (it's easy when you start), etc, you'll see gains.

the skin thing kinda blows, but it's possible that better diet and muscle gains along with your relative youth, you'll lose the loose skin.
>>
>>31592200
To clarify, I'm asking if I will get hideous loose skin or not, not saying I have any right now. But thanks mate.
>>
>>31592223
you said you cut down from 240 to 190? If you were going to get loose skin, it'd be then bruh.
>>
>>31592237
Sadly, I never paid attention to my skin during that time and I don't have any pictures with my clothes off. I do remember still looking fat, though.
>>
are you american?
where did you do your PHD if you dont mind saying. I'm not trying to dox just maybe thinking of doing an MSc
>>
>>31589745

I have exhausted so many different ways of getting rid of subcutaneous fat that rests on my love handles. I've tried fasted cardio with yohimbine hcl, carb cycling, all that stuff.

I know it's impossible to spot reduce, but it is currently my only resvoir of fat left that will simply not go away. Do you have any suggestions of how to effectively reduce it?
>>
Rep ranges you mention apply for Body building and Powerlifting as well?
>>
File: 1360971229763.jpg (19 KB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
1360971229763.jpg
19 KB, 400x225
>>31589745
Who would win in a fight between Supermang and Isley?
>>
>>31592327
eostrogens high tubby, post your diet
>>
>>31590845

>German biochemist on /fit/ with extensive knowledge about human metabolism

Wie kommt's?
>>
Sorry if this has already been asked. But OP, what do you think of Layne Norton (biolayne) and his metabolic damage hypothesis? I majored in biochem in my undergrad and to me it seems like total bullshit. Most of all because metabolic damage already exists (known as diabetes). Plus the way he equates carbs to calories irritates the hell out of me. I just hate the guy.
Thread replies: 179
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.