[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
3 questions
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: ORIGINALCONTENTDONOTSTEAL.jpg (71 KB, 1152x648) Image search: [Google]
ORIGINALCONTENTDONOTSTEAL.jpg
71 KB, 1152x648
1) is it a good idea to do bench/OHP same or on consecutive days?

2) is there anything wrong with starting off a workout with a max attempt to see where you're at? i.e. going for bench PR every second or third bench workout when youre feeling good, then doing your planned workout afterwards?

3) home gym masterrace -- anything wrong with performing heavy sets of exercise with 10-20 min computer breaks in between if you're just trying to increase muscle mass and aren't faced with a time constraint?

thx 4 help but NO MANLETS PLZ
>>
samefagging for science
>>
>>27709680
1. Consecutive? Depends on your work load. If you're going for strength and were lifting at your maximum you need to have a day of rest in between. If you're going for reps/mass it shouldn't be a problem.

2. Yes, very wrong. Skipping warmups increases risk of injury and poor form. Besides, you'll be able to lift more once your muscles have more blood flowing to them.

3. 10-20 minute rest seems excessive. I doubt you're lifting enough to require them. Besides, even if you did you'd need to do some supplementary exercises to prevent your body from cooling down over the timespan.
>>
>>27710287

tyvm for the input, but as for number two, i meant with an adequate warmup for a max attempt, and then continuing with a workout. i was asking more along the lines of "will going for a 1rm max and then doing a workout inhibit sick gainz?"

for someone who is dedicated and has at least a few years of lifting experience where progress is slow, i can see only testing max once every several months making a lot more sense, but this question is aimed more towards those beginners out there such as myself who want to see all the mad progress gainz weekly
>>
hello click my thread plz
>>
s-sorry for talking about /fit/ness without le epic may mays but would you still please respond
>>
bump of shamelessness
>>
heyyyyy
>>
>>27711068
>>27710947
>>27710639
>>27710809
I'd give you some advice but at 5'8 I'm not allowed in your thread
>>
>>27709680

>1) is it a good idea to do bench/OHP same or on consecutive days?
It'd be a rather ineffective or at least unusual program that'd have you hitting triceps on consecutive days. If you were using a program that made it effective you probably wouldn't have to ask.
You should probably have them on the same day as part of a split, or with a day of rest between them as part of a whole body routine.

>2) is there anything wrong with starting off a workout with a max attempt to see where you're at? i.e. going for bench PR every second or third bench workout when youre feeling good, then doing your planned workout afterwards?
Yes. You'll tire yourself out for your actual work sets. This is especially bad if you're aiming for mass. If you want to find your PR, dedicate a workout day to it. Otherwise just use the necessary calculations as part of your programming.

>3) home gym masterrace -- anything wrong with performing heavy sets of exercise with 10-20 min computer breaks in between if you're just trying to increase muscle mass and aren't faced with a time constraint?

Absolutely everything wrong. Mass gain is maximized with compressed rests of 3 minutes at most. Even if you were going for power, more than 8-10 minutes of rest is enough to cool down.
Long breaks between exercises is fine as long as you stay warm enough.
>>
>>27710409
Depends how beginner you are and what weight you're lifting at. Probably counter productive though.
>>
>>27711177

thanks for the input!

1) I'm not using an actual program as im running about 35mi/week for cross country, and very few people lift and competitively run so im left with very few resources to base a program off of. i want to do SS but i've never really deadlifted before and am not going to be able to make decent gains on squats without ruining days' worth of running workout potential.

2) wouldnt building up to and executing the max attempt effectively count towards the work sets, or would this lead to non-optimal gains?

>>27711580

my current 1rm's are 205 on bench, 125 on OHP, and 315 on squats (though that was a while ago and i dont think my spine could support even 275 now).

I was thinking I could do bench, OHP, and possibly deadlift every workout with squats/curls/pull-ups/triceps work/lat pulldowns as accessories?
>>
>>27711733
Training and conditioning for a sport alongside lifting is one of the few good uses of split. You basically do half your workout at a time to make sure you haven't overworked that part of your body for training the next day.
I'm not super familiar with the concerns, but maybe try an upper/lower split, doing upper (OHP, bench, chins, dips, rows maybe) the day of or day before you run, and legs/core (squats, deadlift, maybe power cleans) a different day.
You could do two variants for each too:
Ua: bench, pendlay rows, chins,
Ub: OHP, laying tricep extensions, pull-ups, dips
La: back squat, power clean, GHR
Lb: front squat, deadlift variation, calf raises

Do these over four days, then running on two other days, one day of rest; or also do shorter running training after both arm workouts, maybe turn one running day into a second rest day.

As for part 2, it's just sort of conflicting goals. Now, I missed how long you've been doing this. If you're a beginner, lots of weird stuff can happen. But as a general rule, for late beginners and early intermediates: doing just one maxed single isn't going to cause enough adaptation to really improve your strength; but it will tire you out too much to do sufficient volume to really improve mass well.
I mean, you're not killing your gains. You'll still make some. it's just that you could be using your time more effectively. If you're not training for raw work capacity (power lifting), there's not really much reason to even do singles except for bragging; and maybe for calibrating an intermediate or advanced program that bases intensity and rep schemes on your 1RM.
>>
>>27711976

i'm going to bed now, but I'll be looking into all the stuff you mentioned tomorrow extensively.

my running is not much impacted by upper body workouts, at least not as far as I can tell -- the recovery aspect and energy levels presumably are. i think im going to try out the routine youve prescribed for a few weeks, it looks really great, however i'll be running 4-6 miles per day, sometimes twice a day, on hills five days a week, so I guess I'll just have to raise caloric intake and try and sleep a little more and see if my body can hang with the workload or not.

as for the bottom segment of your response, the bit about singles being too exhausting relative to the gains they cause makes sense and is the answer I was looking for.

by november or so I should be able to fully focus on weightlifting, it's just until then that I'm a little confused as to exactly what I should be doing, but your response is very helpful to me and thanks so much for taking the time to make it.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.