[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've seen this a bunch of times recently, on here and some
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5
File: food-cost1.jpg (333 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
food-cost1.jpg
333 KB, 800x533
I've seen this a bunch of times recently, on here and some other unrelated forums... People basing their diets around money. Do you do this? Do you even factor in the cost of food? Do you let cost affect what you eat or do you go as far as restricting how much you eat due to £$?

I'm by no means wealthy. Having been an unemployable bum for ~5 years I've only been employed the last 4 years (27 now) but I can support my lifestyle without worrying about how much I'm spending on food... I mean, surely no one is eating more than £60-80 per week? Even a minimum wage job should be able to support rent, bills, car, gym, that much food and basic luxuries? You might not be bulking on top teir steaks but I can't imagine struggling to afford a higher quantity of food.

I live in London where (I believe?) food costs are pretty high compared to most. Rent it certainly obscene.

So, /fit/, how many of you factor in the cost when deciding HOW MUCH to eat?
>>
>>35315708
>Even a minimum wage job should be able to support rent, bills, car, gym, that much food and basic luxuries?
No. Not by a landslide.

>I can't imagine struggling to afford a higher quantity of food.
Quantity of food is not the problem of most the world today, it's the quality.

>People basing their diets around money. Do you do this? Do you even factor in the cost of food?
Combination of health and money. All the food I buy is clean because health, but I choose wise in terms of money because I'm a poorfag. Lentils are cheap, quinoa is not, so I buy lentils rather than quinoa. I search for good offers on quality meats, vegs and fruit to live well and to make sure I get the most from my money.

When completely broke I turn to supermarkeds and make friends with the staff. A lot of people working in those places have issues with throwing away food and will rather give it away to people like poor students rather than dumping it. I barely paid for food during my uni years because of it, and lived on an abundance of fresh fruit and veggies and good dairy and meat that was going to be thrown away just because there was an expiration date on the package. I ate food worth at least 300-400 euro a week, didn't spend a penny, and got good gains on it. I recommend it to other poorfags.
>>
>>35315708
I get whatever I want since I figure I shouldn't cut costs on the stuff that is literally keeping me alive
>>
I live in Toronto, Canada. Food is prohibitively expensive here. Over 10 dollars for 2-3 pieces of chicken, vegetables are also very expensive, usually at least $1 per single veggie.

I mostly live of Tuna and some light carbs. I have a job and everything but with rent and drug costs I can't help but laugh at the prospect of a bustling, full fridge of meats and vegetables.
>>
>>35315793
>complains about the cost of food
>spends money on drugs
>>
>>35315793
>vegetables are also very expensive, usually at least $1 per single veggie.
Travel to Switzerland or Norway. The prices are 3-4 times that usually.
>>
File: typicalweek.jpg (221 KB, 938x1231) Image search: [Google]
typicalweek.jpg
221 KB, 938x1231
Maybe prices are pretty good here afterall..
This is relatively typical of what I'll eat in a week. Some of these items would last longer and I'm not counting seasoning but that doesn't add much.
>>
>>35315850
What the fuck, 7.64 for a fucking kilo of frozen chicken ? I get mine at Lild's for 4.99/KL frozen shit is like 2 something last time i bought it, tasted like shit but thats expected from frozen
>>
>>35315875
that's 2KG.

Frozen is more convenient for me. It all ends up the same after 4h in a slowcooker.
>>
>>35315850
Your food is cheap. Enjoy life you bastard.
>>
>>35315708
I'm a norwegian poorfag student with a previous culinary education, living in the center of the capital,so for me food prices are a big deal as i pay out my ass in rent.

I strive to only buy meat that clocks in at 60 NOK or below(6,3 euro/kg), and if possible i buy food that are marked down due to reduced shelf life.

Milk,oats,a crapload of veggies from a cheap purveyor, whole cuts as much as possible, minced meat, rice and lentils bought in bulk,

After rent, communal ride fares, cell phone bills, electricity and internet, i'm left with around 1K NOK, around 105-120 euro a month, so i try to live as cheap as i can.
>>
>>35315708

I go to a really popular local butcher + deli in the city centre.

5£ for 1.5 kilograms of pork loin steak.
5£ for 2 kilograms of chicken drumsticks.
6£ for 1 kilogram of lamb chops.
5£ for 1.5kg of spareribs.
7£ for 2 whole rotisserie chickens

They can also be bought pre-seasoned which is good cause they're already marinated for some time, adding a lot of flavor.

They ain't frozen shit.
>>
>>35315927
That's pretty awesome. I'm a bit of a pussy when it comes to food spoiling so I avoid buying too much fresh stuff at once.
>>
>>35315918
>i'm left with around 1K NOK, around 105-120 euro a month, so i try to live as cheap as i can.
That's more than enough to live off in Oslo. You can live grand on that.
>>
>>35315951
living grand off of 250 nok a week/30 nok a day?

Please sensei, teach me your ways.
>>
>>35315850
DESU senpai thats pretty cheap. I'm from Toronto and out food it quite a bit more even when you factor in our monopoly money. At least we pay like no taxes on "healthy" food.

Like a meal of lean chicken and frozen vegetables is almost $12.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 500x343) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 500x343
>>35315708
Don't listen to these lazy retards. Minimum wage CAN afford all that.
I do right now cause I got shafted by my family. If you actually work 40 hours a week, and maybe another 20 at a second job, you've got a solid 7-8 hundred bucks every two weeks. 1600 a month is a living wage.
My shitty apartment costs 370 a month, gym 25, utilities I budget 200 and keep the extra, phone 40, car insurance bout $120. (I pay quarterly so it's weird) and food. Let me tell you. I make all my meal prep every Sunday (my day off) and I make 7 meals for each day. I spend about 80-100 a week on food, that's at most $2 per meal and these are some big fuckin portions. It's because I buy my own ingredients and cook it and work my dick off. If I'm not in the gym, I'm at work or sleeping. I have my day off that I watch movies and cook, and I have money to spare, working a shitty minimum wage job. These lazy nil bogs think a minimum wage budget is too hard because they are to fucking lazy to work more than a four hour shift and complain about 30 hour workweeks while I'm over here working 60-70 hours a week and lifting 5 times a week. Suck my balls lazy asses.
>>
>>35315959
I'm >>35315741 and do it in Norway. Food be free, my bro.
>>
>>35315942

they have 2-3 days left by the sticker.

Truth is you can get an extra day or 2 after that no problem.

like you don't even need to buy wholesale 3-6 items, 1.5kg of pork loins is about 8 big chops, I just eat 2 in a meal, not every meal of course, that shit gets old real fast if you don't have variety.
>>
>>35315835
but so is the income
>>
>>35315811
He's Canadian, it's practically a necessity there to be a drug abusing degenerate.
>>
>>35316040
>but so is the income
Not mine, m8
>>
>>35315967
That's some commitment.

I think minimum wage is higher here but my shitty 1 bedroom flat is £800/mo. Add in gas/electric and it's £900 ($1340). The cheapest flat shares go for a little over half that (I live with gf so you could argue that mine is half too).
>>
File: m8PTzQO.jpg (339 KB, 1200x901) Image search: [Google]
m8PTzQO.jpg
339 KB, 1200x901
>>35315850
Some veggies, dairy products and oats are cheaper in Lidl, and you can get 5kg quality chicken from turkish shops for £25.
Currently on hunt for good quality eggs that's relatively cheap.

Also posts your postcode you cunts.

Se16
>>
>>35316091
>OP
>SW15

In what way do you grade the quality of eggs? I just buy generic mixed weight free range- costs around £1.50 per dozen.

You should see if you can find someone who has chickens as pets. They're generally happy to give the eggs away. My mum has a few chickens but travelling down there (croydon) is hassle.
>>
File: d7EJZ2G.jpg (443 KB, 1200x1600) Image search: [Google]
d7EJZ2G.jpg
443 KB, 1200x1600
>>35316151
Big with orange yolk tastes better. I'm with family for holidays in Hungary, where I can get eggs from local people who doesn't feed the chickens with shit because they eat it too.

I will look around in local markets when I'm back, because the supermarket stuff just doesn't taste right.
>>
>>35316328
Yeah, the eggs at my mum's place are pretty standard size but definitely have bigger yolks. Some of the eggs come out properly spherical though which is weird. I think anyone who keeps them for profit is going to feed them the cheapest shit they can get away with. Not sure how you'd go about finding someone who has a bunch as pets and it isn't really worth keeping them yourself (they can be pretty fun to watch during the summer though- throw them a handful of mealworms and they go mental).

I'm definitely a creature of convenience. I'd rather just have generic Asda stuff brought to me.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.