[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Question about programs like pic related. >be me military
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
Question about programs like pic related.

>be me military bro
>only just now getting into lifting free weights and trying to get away from crossfit faggotry the army shoves down our throats
>doing stronglifts going into third week
>being that i'm in the military, i'm not weak to the point the early weeks (read months) of the program will necessarily benefit me
>felt like i was wasting time at the gym following program
>this past week just started skipping weight increments to get to where I'm kinda at
>still doesn't feel enough
>start adding curls with short straight bbell, tricep pulldowns, pl8 incline situps, and chest flies
>still only going 3 times a week

is this overtraining stuff a meme? Isn't the point of such a program to find your max safely and work to improve it still safely? Am i fucking up by adding stuff to the program? should i just skip weight till it's enough instead of adding stuff?

Advice is appreciated.
>>
it will get very hard soon enough. take this time to meticulously perfect your form.
>>
>>35304493
One you start squatting 130kg it gets hard, same with the bench, OHP and deadlifts, once they get heavy you feel like its not enough.
>>
>The most ridiculous thing about the entire StrongLifts program is the part where everyone is supposed to start with the empty bar. This is beyond unnecessary. The reason why this is suggested on StrongLifts is to help lifters develop “proper form”. Unlike Starting Strength, which includes hundreds of detailed pages on how to perform each lift, Medhi has a few YouTube videos. Again, this is where the “internet marketer” part comes in. By telling people to start with the bar, it isn’t as intimidating for the audience he is going after.

From http://www.powerliftingtowin.com/stronglifts-5x5/

His whole series on programme reviews is P good to be honest
>>
Why not do SS instead?
SL creator Mehdi: Squat 190kg, Bench 115kg, Dead 225kg
SS creator Rippetoe: Squat 280kg, Bench 178.5kg, Deadlift 285kg
Why the fuck would you do some shit skins butchered gay variation of SS.
>>
>>35304690
>>35304679

The original question still stands though, regardless of the lifting program. I'm not trying to get bodybuilder status. Just want to get stronger. Don't care about PRs too much currently. Just trying to get into a routine.

With these programs, is starting at the bottom the best thing to avoid 'overtraining'? ie following them exactly, or is adding stuff okay?
>>
>>35304493
It will get harder.

When I started SL, I did all sorts of accessory lifts after my main lifts. But eventually I hit a point where I was just too exhausted to lift that much volume, and I had to cut back. I also had to switch several lifts to 3x5 to keep from stalling.
>>
>>35304679

Most of it is pretty good, but Izzy has a horrible tendency to run his mouth about things he doesn't understand when it comes to programming.
>>
>>35304760
Maybe i'm not explaining myself well enough. Keep in mind i'm not trying to be an autistic asshole seeing as i don't care nearly enough about lifting to get angry about it. (blasphemy, i know)

I understand it will get harder. That's why I'm skipping around to where i feel like i get a workout. My mentality is this: Why spend 1 out of 2 gym days in the week going from benching 75lbs and then 85lbs. I know for a fact that i can bench more than that comfortably. How does benching 75lbs and then 85lbs 'prepare me' for benching, say, 100, when i know that i already can do that easily? I'm not trying to doubt the program or say it's stupid, since I don't know any better. I'm honestly looking for the answer to that question.

Seems like I'm just wasting days. Which is why i'm adding addition lifts.
>>
>>35304814
>adding addition

Additional*, obviously.
>>
>>35304814
The 'Start with the bar' in SL is stupid and should be ignored. Just do what Rip says in SS in order to establish working weight. I'm doing SL too, but I started at weights that were somewhat challenging, but allowed me to complete the sets without danger of failing.

Also feel free to switch to 3x5 and change the weight increments whenever you feel you need it to make progress, as SL is way to strict about conditions you have to fulfill before you do that.
>>
>>35304740
If you aren't training for 3 hours a day 6 days a week I doubt you are overtraining. Add weight until the bar speed slows down and do 5 sets of 5 with that and continue from there
http://chaosandpain.blogspot.ie/2010/05/youre-overtrained-huh-its-all-in-your.html
>>
>>35304493
Mehdi is an idiot, don't do his program. Try Greyskull LP or even SS for a couple of weeks/months and then do a intermediate routine. You are not a 'true' beginner due being a soldier, keep in mind these programs are for people who don't move their asses.
>>
>>35304988
While he might not be a true beginner, the suggested increments for Greyskull may be too small for him to make optimal gains unless he's an advanced novice. 5lbs/2.5lbs for lower/upper body seems wasteful if he's capable of 10lbs/5lbs for weeks. And assuming he ignores the start with the bar shit, there's really not much difference between SS and SL after a while (when they're both 3x5), mostly Power Cleans vs Rows.
>>
>>35304493
Is it optimal to do all 5 exercises each workout? Because I do
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.