[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
okay lets do this /swim/ Sticky: http://pastebin.com/1crFV
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: 42.jpg (145 KB, 1024x1533) Image search: [Google]
42.jpg
145 KB, 1024x1533
okay lets do this

/swim/

Sticky:
http://pastebin.com/1crFVex3

How long have you been swimming? How many laps did you do today? Where do you swim? Ask questions get answers etc.

>Should I start swimming?
Probably

>Can I learn to swim without lessons
Super doubtful, get some lessons
>>
I need a new swimsuit. I'm a guy and I've been using these
http://www.swimoutlet.com/p/hurley-mens-dri-fit-chino-walkshort-8113437/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google-shopping&color=42772&size=26475&gclid=Cj0KEQiAqK-zBRC2zaXc8MOiwfIBEiQAXPHrXiLDCby2et59cJQZ0mnH-V5NrjARUhzQgjM-Vg-1ZYoaAotO8P8HAQ
since I started in july but now they're starting to tear. Those were cool because they weren't super baggy, but they weren't like "look at me I'm so fucking serious about swimming even though I can hardly do 5 laps". Now that I'm starting to not completely suck, what should I buy as a replacement?
>>
File: 1287589741710.jpg (32 KB, 317x466) Image search: [Google]
1287589741710.jpg
32 KB, 317x466
some days swimming is popular, other days its a ghosttown.

anyway a long time ago some anon told me to look up high-elbow swimming and thank him later. Thanks, Anon
>>
>>35230185
I swam competitively for 14 years, but these days I don't swim laps as much. I moved from a suburb to a city and there aren't many pools, and the pools that are around here tend to be kind of dirty and small. Right now sometimes I go to a gym pool that is only 18 yards and it suuucks. It's also piss-warm and they try to shove like 5 people in each lane.
>>
>>35231689
Fuck i want to move to manhattan, but i'm worried about this
>>
>>35231702
Yup, that's where I am. There are a few good pools (Riverbank park, the Baruch pool and other college pools, Chelsea Piers, Bowling Green...), but they are usually far away or crowded or require an expensive membership fee, or all three. The pool I mentioned is the NYSC one at 49th and Broadway, and it's a poor substitute for the real thing--you can't really get a workout in there.
>>
>>35231794
Whats are the membership fees like?
>>
>be black
>tfw I learned how to swim as a kid through reading wikipedia articles

Feels good mane. Too bad I still can't float though
>>
Fugg this thread could not have come at a better time.

I signed up for "aqua cardio" at my college for the spring. Got some qt3.1415 to sign up for it with me, so trying to get decent at swimming/drop a few lbs before January 19th. My pool membership for winter break starts on Dec. 21st.
>>
>>35231852
Not bad to expensive..Baruch pool was pretty cheap, I think $600/year. Chelsea piers is like..I want to say $200/month but maybe it's not quite that high. Riverbank is a state park and it was $6/swim last time I was there but it's waaay the hell uptown. It's definitely hard to find a pool 25 yards or more that's convenient but not insanely expensive
>>
Not really a swimmer but did have a bit of a question. I have decent endurance, can run for a several miles without really running out of breath or anything, but swimming just completely drains me. After a lap or two I find it harder to get enough air into my lungs, and generally can't do more than that consecutively. Any particular reason why this would be the case? I'd like to do more swimming, if only because moving your whole body seems like a good way to stay fit.
>>
Shame about swimmer's curse.

>all dem sexy highschool/college female swimmers
>swimming burns all dem calories
>stop swimming after high school/college
>still used to a high calorie diet
>they're all fat now

Maybe it's just my personal experience, but I don't know many swimmers that have kept the weight off.
>>
Senior swimmer in high school right now. I will never be more lean in my entire life. I'm more a track and cross country runner, but I wanna start gaining some mass here in the spring
>>
>>35232021
Your form sucks. You're also not used to the water/breathing so you're probably panicing a little and not relaxing, which drains energy. My advice: look up 'balance' drills and use them as your warm up every day for a month. Expect it to take ~1.5-2 months until you don't feel like you're drowning by the end of a workout.

At least that's all how it went for me.

>>35231989
Thx a bunch for the info man
>>
>>35231689

>18 yards

dank /swim/ meem material
>>
I swam (total) more than 1650 m for the first time yesterday, so that's cool.
>>
>>35232035

i immediately began lifting after highschool. put on weight but its just gains
>>
how do you avoid swimmer's shoulder? I have sharp pain in both shoulders. I only do freestyle. Is my form wrong or is it overuse?
>>
>>35230185
>swimming in piss water
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.