[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Casein Brotein?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: xray.gif (557 KB, 255x254) Image search: [Google]
xray.gif
557 KB, 255x254
I know that casein whey is usually recommended as best taken before bed but I got 10lbs of it and have just been taking it as I used to take regular concentrate or isolate 2-4 times a day.

Is using casein whey as a primary source of protein bad for any reason?
>>
>>35201598
no, sometimes it can make it hard to shit, and it's a gross texture to some people. thats it
>>
Okay first off casein and whey are two different types of protein. They have a different molecular structure. However this difference is what makes them both special.

Typically it is suggested to use whey after workouts due to the body having an easier time breaking it down. Don't listen to the shilling about a "30 minute anabolic window". It's closer to a 4 hour window after working out that the body really likes protein to begin repairs on the muscles you just worked.

Casein is usually suggested to be used before bed since it is is broken down and used by the body at a slower rate. This is useful at night when your body is typically repairing( building) muscles.

Both still are forms of protein and both can be used for extra protein in a meal plan.

I prefer casein because it makes me feel full longer. Also it can be mixed and chilled to the point where it makes me feel like I am drinking a milkshake.
>>
>>35201656
ok, thanks. I get the rate of absorbtion or w/e with the digestion and the primary reason most people use it. Everyone always goes on about the "anabolic window" and I always kind of balked at it because irl eating meat (the main source of protein) takes a long time to digest so you'd think that right away anyone that took protein drinks able to hit this magic time limit would have instant and quantifiable gains over people that just eat ya know normal food.

it really is milkshakey aint it. I dont mind usually unless I'm trying to just throw it together and drink it fast and wash the blender real quick. Its a little harder to wash off.
>>
>>35201656
>I prefer casein because it makes me feel full longer
This 100% desu, especially cottage cheese
>>
>casein before bed
>repairing muscles at night
>anabolic windows

Broscience. Shit doesn't matter.

Have enough protein for the day in your body and be above maintenance and you'll get gains. Trying to accommodate unnecessary eating schedules will not make a difference.

This anabolic window or muscles being cannibalized is irrelevant and bullshit(in a matter of speaking). The net result is still the same either way.

If you have a bank that has money being withdrawn and deposited at all hours of the day, the only thing that matters is the sum. If there is a difference, it's not even remotely worth the inconvenience some of these methods impose.

>Gotta have my after workout shake!
>My protein before bed!

I have been intermittent fasting for two years. Sometimes with only a 2-4 hour eating window. I lift in the morning before work and don't eat until the afternoon and have great gains. It. Does. Not. Matter.

I don't need your school report that shows a .5 % increase in mass over two years. I'll show you reports of intermittent fasting's effects on muscle retention and testosterone boosting.

It doesn't matter.

Lift Big.
Eat Big.
Get Big.
Ya Dig?
>>
>>35201818
The interval of protein ingestion actually does make a difference. You shouldn't parrot everything you read on /fit/, anon.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3514209/
>>
>>35201656
but when you are asleep your body is using the protein you ate through out the enitre day having a shake before bed does nothing but make you feel not hungry
>>
>>35201818
>Ya Dig?
i was up until this
>>
>>35201656
> It's closer to a 4 hour window
Sure but ur body is in a really catabolic state post workout. You want to bring your body into an anabolic state (aka spark protein synthesis, drive down cortisol levels, replenish glycogen etc). The longer your body is in a catabolic condition the worse off your gains are going to be

Casein also breaks down very slowly. So slow that it hardly sparks any protein synthesis at all (due to only tiny amounts of leucine being released into the bloodstream over a long period of time)

Both whey and casein have their benefits, however casein IMO is not worth the money. stick to whey
>>
>>35202345
so how do you respond to >>35201720
>Everyone always goes on about the "anabolic window" and I always kind of balked at it because irl eating meat (the main source of protein) takes a long time to digest so you'd think that right away anyone that took protein drinks able to hit this magic time limit would have instant and quantifiable gains over people that just eat ya know normal food.

are you saying that "food" doesn't spark protein synthesis?
>>
>>35202345
Just lift before a meal
>>
>>35201598
Casein is an industry scam, tried it for 6 months no noticeable difference. Stick to whey, if you have an extra tub use it and never buy it again.

If you like the placebo buy it, whatever floats your boat.

Eating 5-8 times a day is shit too, all it does is overload your digestive system. Eating less meals optimizes your digestion and insulin spikes, as long as you get the calories and the protein.
>>
File: 1498932.jpg (319 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
1498932.jpg
319 KB, 1920x1200
>>35202600
not at all. what i was getting at with his "4 hour window" was that just because the so called "window" may be open for hours afterwards, the longer you stay in a catabolic state the worse off you'll be. In other words you want to bring your body into an anabolic state ASAP in order to begin the recoveyr process like i stated. The reason whey protein isolate is so commonly referenced to a post workout shake is because of the speed that it it is digested. The faster your body can begin to recover post workout, the better. The so called "window" isnt closed as soon as you eat. Get your quick digesting proteins and cabrs in post workout to spike insulin, refuel the muscles and drive down cortisol,then an hour or so later get in a proper meal which will keep your body fueld for the next few hours of the "window"
>inb4 broscience hur dur
this shit is proven
>>
>>35202768
Study to prove your claims?
>>
>>35201598
Looks like shes saying bukake
>>
>>35202345
amino acid profile helps casein protein maintain protein synth for longer, so it doesn't need to be in as large of amounts.
There's even evidence to suggest that casein protein may even be more beneficial for lean mass than whey, but is at this time not fully understood.
I thought the same thing as you before, but new research coming out all the time makes it hard to keep up
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.