[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Starting a new routine next week. I've had a good thing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6
File: goal body.jpg (49 KB, 500x696) Image search: [Google]
goal body.jpg
49 KB, 500x696
Starting a new routine next week. I've had a good thing going as far as what to do on what days, but as far as the lifts go I've just been doing whatever I feel like and I think it's hurting my gains. Saw this earlier, but not much feedback on it, give it the /fit/ seal of approval or asses if it's terrible and why. It's a PPL with all of the lifts and sets/reps predetermined.

Push (Chest/Triceps/Shoulders):

Flat Barbell Bench Press: 3x5
Seated (or Standing) Barbell Shoulder/Overhead Press: 3x5
Incline Barbell Bench Press: 3x5
Dumbbell Side Lateral Raise: 3x10-12
Rope Pushdowns (circuit machine): 3x10-12
Overhead Dumbbell Extension or similar triceps exercise: 3x10-12
Shrugs(circuit machine or dumbbells): 3x10-12

Pull (Back/Biceps):

Barbell Rows: 3x5
Lat Pulldowns with (Long Bar or V-bar) (circuit machine): 3x8-10
Seated Rows (circuit machine) - optional if already doing barbell rows: 3x8-10
Face-pulls: 3x-10-12
Barbell Bicep Curls (Alternate between close and normal grip): 4x-10-12
Choice of one other bicep exercise (typically Hammer Curls): 3x10-12

Legs (Quad/Ham/Calves):

Barbell Squats: 4x5-6
Leg Press (optional if already doing above squats): 3x8-10
Leg Extensions (circuit machine): 3x10-12
Hamstring Curls (circuit machine): 3x10-12
Standing Calf Raises (circuit machine): 5x10-12

P/P/L/P/P/L/x would be the routine

also, coupled HIIT on the rowing machine every day I'm in.
pic related, goal body

>bonus question - what is the best cardio exercise and why is it the C2 rowing machine
>>
>>35129294
forgot to add - eating at maintenance (3200kcal and 200g protein for 160lb bodyweight)
>>
looks ok
your incline BP is going to be shit at 3x5 after OHP/bench so I'd drop it or make it light work
personally I say fuck leg extensions too, you already have 2 quad exercises
you're light on hamstring work, need at least as much as quad work to stabilize the knees

this is also a personal preference but I've found the best template to generally be 1 exercise on high volume rather than 2 on low for the same muscle group. FWIW if you're a novice you'd be better off with a little less volume. I'm assuming you don't want to deadlift, but you're also missing lower back work. I would swap out your leg curls for RDLs. As a general principle, isolations are nice but it's better to have compounds at high volume in there unless it needs to be an iso (like face pulls). More bang for your buck.
Also also, you're missing abwork
>>
>>35129294
Don't hamstring curl.
Is meme as fuck.
Don't do the extensions either.
They stupid.

Just do variant sets in the leg press. Higher foot placement and all that jazz. Lunges too. Walking lunges, in place lunges, reverse lunges.

Recommend varying calves between heavy as fuck and volume as fuck. Maybe ladder sets or just alternate. Make sure range of motion, always see stick legs trying to into calves, but no rom.

Best cardio is swimming. But yeah rower is good. Sucks to rowing after deadlifts though.
>>
>>35129386
i'll probably ditch benchpress, stick to OHP and incline masterlift

hamstring work, romanian deadlifts? or is there another better one you suggest? and you can do abwork every day, right?
>>
My body looks very similar to the dude in OP, in that my waist tapers in around my abs and then tapers out a little at my waist. But when I look at myself in the mirror, I think I look like shit, but when I look at this guy, he looks hot as fuck (no homo). I guess my abs aren't as defined as his, but why does my body look like a skinny piece of shit and his body looks amazing?

Do I have body dismorphia?
>>
>>35129419
yes
>>35129414
lunges for sure, they've always been a part of my routine. and rowing first, always, i drink pwo when i arrive so the HIIT gets me pumped b/c I usually stop at the beginning of runners high (15-20 minutes in)
>>
>>35129419
also post pics
>>
File: IMAG0362_1.jpg (336 KB, 1936x1518) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0362_1.jpg
336 KB, 1936x1518
>>35129446
>>
>>35129417

yeah you can ditch flat bench if you don't care about numbers

I like RDLs, but sldl/good mornings also decent, or just straight up deads too

>>35129578

you do have a pretty similar shape, although his bodyfat is lower
he's also airbrushed and using a filter, and probably has a better face so that's part of it. don't think too much of it, maybe just cut a little if it bothers you that much
>>
>>35129578
You're smaller and fatter than him. You have potential with your body build, but you need more lean mass and a lower bf% to have the same attention-getting physique
>>
>>35129578
mirin' most of it. you could use some dips and tricep, obliques work. more cardio as well to get that BFP down so you can see those abs.
>>
File: IMAG0357.jpg (2 MB, 1520x2688) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0357.jpg
2 MB, 1520x2688
>>35129635
>>35129626
>>35129611
Body fat is at 11% currently, how low do I need to go? Also, another pic with a different angle.
>>
>>35129652

looks a bit higher than 11%, when I'm 11% I can see pretty decent ab definition
>>
>>35129660
I literally just measured today. Tested myself 3 times and then also had a trainer test me. I drink beer and never hit abs which is probably why I have no definition.
>>
>>35129660
To be fair, I am currently running MK-677 and creatine, so I probably have a good amount of subcutaneous water retention.
>>
>>35129670
well then maybe you should hit abs? it doesn't even take that long

and iirc you can work abs every day although i'm not sure on that. lay off the creatine for a little bit if you want to look good right now
>>
>>35129711

yeah you can hit abs every day, and you should. After a certain point the whole 'squats and deadlifts work abs' thing doesn't hold much weight
>>
>>35129753
Should I just do sit ups or what? Machines? I used to do reverse crunches but stopped because I was too tired from powerlifiting.
>>
>>35129670
>measured
That don't tell you shit faggot
>>
>>35129916
I mean measured on a BF % machine, one of those little handhelds. Is there a more precise way to calculate it?
>>
>>35129928
bod pod i guess. what do you mean by little handheld machine?
>>
>>35129841

ab wheel boyo
and planks, don't forget planks. I used to shit on them but they're pretty important.
>>
>>35130429
yeah my routine is decline crunches (as low as i can get without touching) leg raises, and plank as a finisher
>>
>>35130452

think about ab wheel too

oh, and if you're doing abs, flex your glutes--hard.
>>
>>35130429
A healthy way is to always end your routine with planks. Used to forget them or just said naa. I'm forcing myself now to not consider a workout done untill plank is done. Even a shitty 3x30 secs session is better than no planks at all.
>>
>>35130793

yeah I'm trying to warm up with them and finish with them after reading this article
http://deansomerset.com/planks-are-the-magic-bullet-for-hip-mobility/
>>
>>35130818
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkKCVCZe474
How about this?
I think it's even better than planks.
Level 1 is nothing, but level 3 is starting to be a killer.
+ It only takes 8 minutes of your day.
I do it every morning after running.
>>
>>35130883

well the point of the article I posted wasn't necessarily about weak abs, but rather that we're inefficient at bracing. Planks mirror a brace procedure while flexion exercises don't really

but it should be said that your core can never be too strong, so you do you. I want to learn to V-sit
>>
>>35130883
The thing with those sit ups is that I know I'm going to end up with some neck pain. Planks is lazy compared to the vid you posted, but for me is realistic. Thanks for sharing it tho.
>>
File: 1427480612031.gif (2 MB, 318x239) Image search: [Google]
1427480612031.gif
2 MB, 318x239
>>35130916
Goddamn, I'm able do it for maybe half a second, but problem is my triceps explode every time, for some reason.

Do you do calisthenics? It immensely helped me with a core, and doing V shape on a rod prepares you for it quite nicely.
>>35130976
Honestly, first time you do it, it kills you, but afterwards it's quite easy.
And I haven't really experienced any neck pain brethen, so maybe you should give it a go.
When a fat fuck like me can do it, you won't have a problem with it, I trust you.
>>
>>35131032
Giving it a go for a week starting tomorrow. Thanks again for sharing breh.
>>
File: 1445088000401.jpg (46 KB, 526x568) Image search: [Google]
1445088000401.jpg
46 KB, 526x568
>>35131080
Thanks for accepting my advice breh.
>>
>>35131032

nah but I'm considering introducing bodyweight ab work in more complexity. It feels more applicable than stuff like crunches or situps with added resistance because they mirror how you need to brace for other exercises

I'll probably look up some youtube vids tonight
>>
>>35131216
Pl0x post results of your research senpai. Abs is more neglegted than legs, so every frop counts.
>>
File: 1410420856050.jpg (64 KB, 803x606) Image search: [Google]
1410420856050.jpg
64 KB, 803x606
>>35129294

>no pullups
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.