[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How can i reach greek philosopher mode?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 6
File: 1448661596139.png (73 KB, 1545x422) Image search: [Google]
1448661596139.png
73 KB, 1545x422
How can i reach greek philosopher mode?
>>
you're going to change your life. your brain does not like change, your body does not like change; this will not be fun.

write your thoughts down everyday. essentially, this will be private shitposting. it will seem dumb, but do it.

read every day. and this will not include internet bullshit, read fucking books.

work out (duh)

you must set goals. do no be content with reading, writing, and lifting. set yourself out to perform actual tasks, such as learning a new skill or building something. work to achieve these goals. write your accounts of working to achieve these goals.

have a social life. talk. discuss your ideas. debate them amongst your friends. get a donkey drunk on wine and watch it stumble around. live.
>>
>>35065110
>dat pic
>muh noble savages
kek
>>
>>35065110
We have access to better equipment now. No longer do you have to carry around a milking cow that you gradually feed up for progressive resistance. That said Milo got an excellent education in lifting and nutrition from this so I wouldn't say it's better in all ways, just most of us can keep a barbell easier than a cow.

Take up a physical hobby you find interesting. Socrates was probably a stone mason and sculptor, so he was carrying around heavy block of marble and making them into things with almost his bare hands a lot of the time.

Epicurus has some food advice from what's left of his work. Grow your own stuff and eat with your mates. And Diogenes was meant to have had a superlative physique from his tough living which was incredibly minimal.

In contrast to what people say about pizza here too, this may have been a dish of these early philosophers. Parmenides that started everything was from what is now Salerno near Naples
>>
>>35065391
>Parmenides who started everything
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Timeline_of_ancient_philosophers
>>
>>35065360
>Ancient Greece
>Savages

Try again, jelly Persian
>>
>>35065360
βαρβαρός
>>
>>35065110
Not gonna happen for you. The reason they were so /fit/ was because their society demanded it. There is no need to be in such peak physical condition in this age.
>>
>>35065110
>taking works of fiction and self recorded feats of greatness as historical fact

fucking pleb
>>
Were Greek philosophers the closest we'll ever come to living gods?

They were in peak physical, mental, artistic and social condition. I can't think of a single other society that had people who strove to be the very best by literally every metric.
>>
Read the Loeb library/St John's reading list in the original languages, study Euclid every morning, train every day.
>>
>>35065899
Barbarous?

My only exposure to Greek letters is these math classes man.
>>
>>35065968
Barbarous means you don't speak Greek. You sound like "barbarbarbar" when you talk. In other words, uncivilized Persian/Asian.
>>
>>35065954
Yes.
>>
>>35065954
>strove to be the very best by every metric
this isn't what ancient athens was like, unless you have some information I haven't read
>>
File: 1448676011131.jpg (541 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
1448676011131.jpg
541 KB, 1920x1200
>>
>>35065954
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polymath
>"the term "Renaissance man" which is often applied to the gifted people of that age who sought to develop their abilities in all areas of accomplishment: intellectual, artistic, social and physical."
>>
>>35065110
Drink hemlock.
>>
>>35065110
“No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.”

― Socrates
>>
File: 1447346659244.jpg (35 KB, 555x503) Image search: [Google]
1447346659244.jpg
35 KB, 555x503
>>35065110
>Socrates
>anything but a flaming faggot and shitty philosopher
Pick one. Pic related, a REAL philosopher.
>>
>>35065851
You would be using the term philosophy and even on some person p liberally for the ones before Parmenides.

Also Parmenides philosophy is pretty much self contained and heavily influenced Socrates and his lot.
>>
>>35066083
Socrates and the philosophers we're talking about here in general were against Athenian amd Greek society one way or another.
>>
>>35066000
Dubs and trips checked. Also, solid history knowledge . This place surprises me sometimes.
>>
>>35065899
It's βάρβαρος ρε γαμημένε πληβείε.
>>
>>35065899

Varvarian?
>>
>>35066178
Well "philosophers" disagreed on a lot of shit
Socrates himself had some crazy idea about communism
>>
>>35066168
The tradition of "philosopher" as a term has the earliest use attributed to Pythagoras, while Thales is recognised by every mainstream source I've ever read - histories, encyclopedias, other ancient thinkers - as the first.
>Parmenides influenced Socrates
I've had a quick search and I'm not seeing any evidence of that. I wonder whether you've mixed up Plato's dialogue about Socrates and Parmenides with Socrates himself.
>>
>>35065110
>running a marathon as a sprint

lol yeah surely not embellished at all top kek

>source: My dad works at Nintendo
>>
>>35066546
>implying the length of the battle-field at Marathon is where we get the term "marathon" from
>implying it isn't the distance from Marathon to Athens
>>
>>35066554

...A marathon (i.e., an official distance of 42.195 kilometers) is LITERALLY based off the distance from Marathon to Athens.

Holy shit, anon. Get it together.
>>
>>35066296
That was Plato I think.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2240x2180) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2240x2180
>tfw I look back at pics of myself from 5 years ago at age 15

Shit's getting real now brehs...
>>
>>35066633
Socrates never wrote anything. Plato used him more or less as a character in his works. He's probs referring to the Republic but it's at a re medial high school level of understanding
>>
>>35065110
>Socrates
>ripped

nah. He was made fun of in ancient times (e.g. in Plato and other sources) for being flabby and ugly.

This entire pic should be disregarded.
>>
>>35066720
He was ugly and pulled the most beautiful woman in Athens.
>>
>>35066595
>the city of your reading comprehension
>>
>>35065110
This is like when 40th century archaologists dig up internet archives about Batman or Chuck Norris, and compares them to athletes of their own day, it's ridiculous.

3000 years ago no one was ripped. Feats were exxagerated greatly in writing, as they are now. Nutrition was shit, all they had for food was meat and potatoes. They knew nothing of calories, carbohydrates or protein, let alone vitamins/minerals. That's why people were 5'5" and died before 40
>>
>>35066545
>I wonder whether you've mixed up Plato's dialogue about Socrates and Parmenides with Socrates himself.
don't see what you're trying to get at. It's likely an event that happened (Socrates visiting Parmenides in his youth) that led to Socrates becoming the gadfly.

The question of existence is at the heart of parmenides' thinking and that is like the core of Western Philosophy. You won't find that he influence Socrates in a Google search because there is no Socrates the philosopher, Socrates never wrote. Thales is a mathematician really, but he's not really central to philosophy like Parmenides. We could just as easily have had something more like Taoism with Thales whereas Parmenides is something else.
>>
>>35066774
So he did what a lot of men do. How surprising.
>>
>>35066774
>>35066720
Neither of you were there so you don't know what you're talking about. No secundary sources talk about Socrates or his physical feats and like I said, they would have been greatly exxagerated. I mean if you were gonna write shit down that would be read for the next 3000 years, would you not exxagertae your own accomplishments? The human ego is fragile
>>
>>35066838
And then she nagged him because he was poor and didn't care.
>>
>>35066842
Xenophon for $1000, Alex.
>>
>>35065391
>milk, meat and potatoes
>this is a good diet with sufficient nutritients for a good looking physique
You're an insult to every nutritionist in history
>>
>>35066829
Nah man
>http://startingstrongman.com/2014/12/08/the-history-of-overhead-pressing-for-strongman/
>Another early example comes from the Greeks of 6BC where a 315lb stone was found in Olympia bearing the carved inscription, “Bybon son of Phola, has lifted me over his head with one hand”.
They still had pretty great lifts. As for the ol timey strongmen a lot seems to me to be down to misunderstanding what's been written. There may be some exaggeration but it's more likely through publishers and cartoonists and so on.

Tbh the Kleobis and Biton ox cart pulling thing sounds kinda shit but that's all I can think of for pathetic.
>>
>>35066890
>potatoes
> ancient Greece
>>
>>35066924
Nigga I'm no historian. But I know that in the last century BC they didn't know shit about vitamins, protein and what not. So all they knew was to eat lost of meat

>>35066910
>315 lbs one arm press
I don't believe that they could do that back then, considering above assumptions

But here's a video of concurrent athletes doing that, so it's physically possible
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZCckRyAZDo
>>
>>35065871
red pill me on the Persians /pol/
>>
>>35066595

But that's what anon said, you stupid idiot
>>
>>35067002
Savages
>>
>>35066964
>But I know that in the last century BC they didn't know shit about vitamins, protein and what not. So all they knew was to eat lost of meat
They recognised that flax was a superfood not long after (the Romans saw the health benefits on the Celts and incorporated it into the diets of soldiers). But what you're saying is kind of my point anyway, Milo feeding the cow could see the effect of different foodstuffs on the cow, if he fed it more it would get bigger, if he gave it I dunno beans or something it developed more muscle and so on.

As for not believing the stone, it's still evidence. Do you think it's physically impossible to clean a 315 lb stone?
>>
>>35067082
>Do you think it's physically impossible to clean a 315 lb stone?
Yes, for a last century BC Greek it was impossible

>evidence
Just as Batman comics are evidence that humans can bench 1000 lbs and do all forms of martial combat right?
>>
Ancient greeks were real big into weighted running. They did mainly calisthenics, we know they did planks and pushups a ton. the romans used stone blocks with handles as a primitive form of weightlifting.
Look at classical statues to see what they considered to be peak human shape.
>>
>>35067145
Classical statues are as much representative of concurrent top athletes as Superman and He-Man are
>>
>nah brah they didnt have whey supps er machines they were weak lol
>nah brah they were manlets an they didnt live as long
>lmao ppl back then were dumb they didnt even have iphones

The fucking mongoloids on this board...holy shit
>>
>>35066830
>it's likely an event that happened
I'll have to research that a bit more - Stanford encyclopedia of philosophy describes it as an "almost certainly fictitious" conversation.
>ontology is the core of Western Philosophy
I wouldn't put it above epistemology, myself.
>there is no Socrates the philosopher, Socrates never wrote
Even if we discount Plato's later dialogues I thought the academic consensus on the Apology is that it's more or less word-for-word. We also have Xenophon's Memorabilia.

If you're saying Parmenides is the first identifiably "Western" philosopher then I don't know enough to agree or disagree.
>>
>>35067145
Romans had pulley machines. And Chabrias invented a rowing machine in the 4th C BC. The nals of India and Persians are almost identical to weight plates being stones with a hole that you put a stick through to lift and give progressive resistance.
>>
>>35067145
>>35067145
And a lot of times, they would have training equipment which was essentially spears, armor, shields that weighed more than normal. the actually swole greeks probably trained mainly with weighted calisthenics or doing military drills with weighted equipment.
>>
>>35067161
They likely had crazy endurance though considering how big into cardio all of the ancient athletes were.
Roman statues were huge into realism so I think we can assume their statues of athletes represented actual people.
>>
>>35066151

That was diocletian the stoic, right?
>>
>>35067105
People in antiquity were way stronger than people now on average. Humanity as also been picking up heavy shit since we existed.

Scandinavians have a rock carrying sport, they've done it since antiquity. The rocks can weigh 350lbs+, are you saying the medieval swedes made up their sport of carrying very heavy rocks hundreds of feet and no one actually did it?

Could you, a superior modern human, carry a 350lb rock 100 meters?
>>
>>35067195
Plato wasn't born at the time afaik. Iirc Socrates in his 20s sees Parmenides in his 70s, and Socrates was already quite old when Plato was a boy. So it's a made up conversation, but it was quite common for Greeks to travel around.

As far as the apology, again Plato may not have been there (he wrote himself out of the dialogue if he was). Plato may not have been present at all for Socrates' trial and execution, Diogenes also apparently regularly accused him of misrepresenting Socrates.

The three sources I know of for Socrates is Xenophanes, Plato and Aristophanes. I'm not saying he's not real but there are no philosophical works to talk about. So it gets silly talking about him as a philosopher with influences and so on.

Another way you could look at it is Parmenides and Zeno that I think were both dead by Plato influenced Plato through Socrates.

We also do have Parmenides poem or fragments of it.
>>
>>35065110
>A bunch of ancient dyel homosexuals could outperform any modern roided up athlete

Top kek m8
>>
>>35067266
diogenes the cynic
>>
>>35067266
It was Diogenes.

He basically told Alexander the Great that the greatest thing he could do for him was get the fuck out of the way so he could enjoy the sunshine.
>>
>>35067343
Pretty much.

Most of our childhoods now are spent sitting in chairs being told to be quiet with maybe a couple of hours of light physical exertion. They didn't even have running water, they had to grow much of their own food and build from scratch a lot of their buildings and so on.
>>
>>35066829
they invented sports science bro, and their nutrition was great if you were a citizen
>>
>>35067418
Based Diogenes. He's one of the few historical people I'd love to have met/seen in action.
>>
>>35067470
Could you live in a barrel?
>>
>>35067425
Jesus, think of how powerful a nation would be if every citizen was capable and willing to perform all of those things today. It would singlehandedly destroy most industry and the economy today.

The funny thing is, in my mind, isn't that a good thing? To have citizens that skilled and that capable of providing for themselves? If our current situation as a modern society is anything to go by, technological convenience and ease has really done us (as a species) a disservice in many ways.
>>
>>35067492
No, I couldn't. It would just be interesting to see what he was like in person and have a chat with.
>>
>>35067310
>Plato may not have been there
wikipedia article on the Apology says this:
>During the course of the speech, Socrates twice mentions Plato as being present (at 34a and 38b).
elsewhere the article says Plato's Apology is "commonly regarded as the most reliable source of information" about Socrates
>there are no works to talk about
Usually the Apology is used as if it were entirely accurate. Honestly, a lot of the Presocratics are only seen through second-hand sources anyway.
>Parmenides and Zeno influenced Plato through Socrates
I think Parmenides' and Zeno's works were widespread enough so that Plato would have read them even if Socrates wasn't influenced by them.
>>
>>35066829
>all they had was meat and potatoes
and fish, olives, olive oil, cheese, apricots, wine, bread etc.
>were 5'5 and died before 40
They regularly lived into their 70s as I understand it. Socrates was executed at that age. I'm not sure what their average height was.
>>
>>35067652
Hell, they basically ate the mediterranean diet. For heart health and longevity, it's one of the best diets out there.
>olive oil, whole grains, lean meats, beans and vegies, dairy and fruits forming the core of your diet
>no added salt ever
>>
>>35067531
I'm tempted to try living in a tent for a bit if I could find some quiet spot somewhere. I couldn't go full Diogenes tho for sure.

>>35067508
I guess there are a few but they lack in other areas or they aren't quite the same. So if you go to Africa there are plenty of places where kids are carrying massive jerry cans that must weigh a similar amount to them, but obv they're malnourished and so on. The Amish grow their own food and barn raise and all that but are not interested in physical culture and are somewhat modern still.

I like to think we've made some progress. Starting strength is an incredibly efficient system that works for almost anyone for example. But I also think our education systems in the west could be better, more hands on and more physical.
>>
>>35065110
this doesn't happen in the books...
>>
Is this a new /fit/ meme? Are the people posting in this thread actually serious?! Lmfao
>>
>>35067492
Yes.
>>
>>35067239
Oh my god. You and the rest of you uneducated retards in this thread need to end yourselves ASAP. The statue of heracles literally has muscles on it that don't exist. I bet you also think Spartans were absolute super soldiers that were more physically capable than any soldier today.

Read a god damned book
>>
File: shitpost from pompeii.png (4 MB, 3100x6280) Image search: [Google]
shitpost from pompeii.png
4 MB, 3100x6280
seems like a good time to post this
>>
>>35068062
point out the muscles which don't exist
>>
>>35066545
Fun fact, Tales is also considered to be the first proper mathematician in the context of actually using mathematical proofs as we know them today.
>>
>>35065269

You must be weak willed as fuck to think change isn't easy.

1st Comes acceptance that you NEED change.

So go spout your broscience psychology bullshit elsewhere and stop putting a Nigger down.
>>
>>35068118
My gf wrote her MA thesis on prostitution in Herculaneum. A decent chunk of her research was literally sifting through stuff like this (not quite as fun as it sounds though given the nightmarish beast that is ancient epigraphy). It also brings back memories of a grad paper I did on Milesian Tales, which are basically ancient green text stories.

I miss Classics sometimes...
>>
>>35065110
Work out, philosophise and fuck ass apparently.
>>
There are differing opinions on whether homosexuality was acceptable in Greece. To me it seems that the true homosexuals, such as Plato, were more artsy types and NOT muscular manly types.

The pederasts, sexual offenders, magisters, powerful manly-men, penetrators- these were men who took advantage of less powerful men and didn't see them as equals in love. It was shameful and lower than low to be a passive reciever- more or less the way Christendom has always held condemnation for loose women while its young men are encouraged to spread their seed; faggotry was likely no more tolerated by the Greeks than by 1950s Alabama

You can't mix virtue, strength, intellect and physical prowess with shameful yielding and submission of your body. Perhaps if that submission is seen as a rite of passage into manhood it is okay, but that is all
>>
>>35066595
Youre fucking retarded thats what he said
>>
>>35068118
That sounds hilarious.
Such a shame there's no money in studying history.
>>
File: Goal Body.jpg (41 KB, 720x544) Image search: [Google]
Goal Body.jpg
41 KB, 720x544
How can i reach Apocalypse mode?
>>
>>35068062
>The statue of heracles literally has muscles on it that don't exist.
Does it? I've heard this before but I think it's a Chinese whisper of someone claiming they exaggerated the size of the muscles somewhere

>>35069962
You can often go into finance or management consultancy
>>
>>35070108
It doesn't have muscles that don't exist. That fag is just bitter because we can't as a modern society reach the level of manly the greeks were.
>>
>>35070012
>>35070012
Mmmm rogue
>Dem hams
Anna paquin was way too ugly and skinnyfat to play her
>>
>>35068118
What's the story on the /lit/ book?
>>
>>35070108
You can't research ancient shitposting in finance.
>tfw already 3 years into a Comp Sci degree
>>
werent they like 5'5
>>
>>35066259
debt
>>
>>35067717
>basically

This is a joke right? That IS the Mediterranean diet. They lived in the Mediterranean. That's where the diet comes from.
>>
>>35066829
>That's why people were 5'5" and died before 40

that's the industrial age son. before that people were taller and lived longer. in the middle ages the average height was only 1 or two inches shorter than it is today.
>>
>>35073476
Going on 4th year here next year. I finish around mid oct because Trimester system. Decided to stop shitposting on /b/ and put myself in a less negative community. /fit/ still has te right amount of shitposting to keep me interested.
>>
>>35066829
>potatoes
>ancient Greece
Triggered
>>
>>35066545
>>35066830

Plus one of the Platonic dialogues is the Parmenides, which has Socrates talking to Parmenides himself as the interlocutor If we think there is general accuracy in Plato's accounts - for otherwise we can't say anything accurately about Socrates in the first place - then to say Parmenides influenced only Plato is apparently not true.
Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.