[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should schools teach fitness?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
File: ffjeans.jpg (64 KB, 620x933) Image search: [Google]
ffjeans.jpg
64 KB, 620x933
What was your physical education (PE) like at high school?

Our school required 8 hours of PE a fortnight (4 x 2 hour classes) from each student. You could choose what 'sport' you wanted to do for those 8 hours from a provided list. There were about half a dozen choices, like basketball, soccer, and so on. There was no gym or pool and none of the options were particularly physically demanding. Like most students I chose the easiest option - ten-pin bowling - which was offered since our school was located next to a bowling alley.
>>
>>37963968
2x40 minutes twice a week.

We had to do mostly track things(except for things that require "skill" to do like pole vault, hurdles and nothing above 3k for running) for grade + pushups, pullups and situps. During winters we could go gym for 40 mins twice a week, but you could just sit there and do nothing if you wanted.

We were rated 1-10, getting a 10 was pretty difficult but just getting the minimum of 4 to pass was piss easy. We had our fatties but fat over hear doesn't equal a hamplanet.
>>
>>37963968

1 hour a week, could choose from whatever you wanted, rugby, football, hockey mainly, then there was other shit like gym and swimming

all the fat kids just chose to do golf, which involved going to the driving range, or else they got their mum and dad to write them a note saying they cant do sports
>>
File: lydia2.jpg (203 KB, 1252x1252) Image search: [Google]
lydia2.jpg
203 KB, 1252x1252
>>37963968

I think schools should design a program that more intensely caters to your health, without being too strenuous on the majority. PE now is kind of a joke and there should also be more effort in showing the dangers of STDs and narcotics and how it affects your health and fitness,

In my school, in one of the richest counties I'll add, they became a bit too accepting of fat people in that it affected everyone else's workout. People were even exempt from doing certain exercises to save them from embarrassment and they still passed with an A like everyone else. I was never exempt because I wasn't blubber made flesh.

So in the end, short answer--yes, long answer--fuck yes
>>
>>37963968
We had it once a 7 day cycle. There were no options, everyone did the same things. Some examples : climbing, wrestling, gymnastics, biathlon, water polo, diving (1 and 3m), bball, weights and indoor soccer
>>
Our school had something that was basically SS. All you learned how to do is squat, deadlift and bench. If you went up 20 lbs every month and a half then you got a 100. Most kids would just bench for a few minutes and play games on their phones the rest of the time.
>>
>>37963968
It was all running around and doing something with a ball/flag. Poorest curriculum you can think of, and a complete waste of time.
>>
>>37963968
3x60 a week, was shit though literally teach you nothing about what your doing was basically fuck about with a football
>>
PE was 3 hours/week, for four years it consisted of
>1 basic exercises/aerobics
>2 dancing (as a form of exercise)
>3 sport (of your choice depending on what the school had to offer)
>4 self defense (of your choice depending on what the school had to offer)
Granted each one only lasted a year, they were all pretty good introductory classes.
>>
File: the stars belong to us.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
the stars belong to us.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>37963968
it depends on the point of view:

perspective of being fit in a fat world as a single person:
no schools shouldn´t tell people how to excercise or about nutritioning, because it would increase the chance, that people would actually care about this and could become my rival

perspective from a state:
yes every state would like to see responsible citizens who are healthy and fit. it would make the state superior
>>
>>37963968
Honestly i think PE has no place in schools. It should be up to the parents to teach active habits and honestly the PE doesnt do much to counter the parenting in any meaningful way. My HS required 3 semesters of PE of some sort. There was aerobics, weight training, and general. But 3 semesters over the course of 8 doesnt really do much in the long run so idk the point of requiring it.

What schools should focus on is like an anon above said, overall health. Nutrition, sex ed, drug ed, etc. I did have to take one semester of "health" my freshman year but it tried to mix all 3 of those into one class for one semester. It wasnt enough.
>>
>>37965162

>using a quote from a shit movie
>not wanting rivals

wont matter anyway. you aren't getting laid anytime soon.
>>
Running twice a week before school for 20 to 30 minutes should be mandatory. Plus 2 x 2 hours of sport lessons per week.
Pupils should receive a basic training in different general sports. In addition they should be required to chose one single and one team sport to be trained in.

Less LQGBABZT, more HJ.
>>
>>37965190
Sorta agree with you. I feel that PE should only exist to teach kids how to swim, since it's a basic life skill. The rest should be a little bit of health (way too much propaganda in those classes to be useful) and a lot of healthy cooking classes. Fat loss IS mostly diet.
>>
>>37963968
my school had mandatory pe class until we became 10th graders(juniors). we would cycle sports, like soccer for 5 weeks, then handball for 5 weeks, so on.
10th grade and upwards we had the option to take a strength & conditioning class instead of pe
11 & 12 grade we didnt have to take pe or s&c but we had weekly requirements of hours of physical activity.
my school tried pretty hard to keep everyone fit, there was p much no one who didnt play sports, even half the nerds on the robotics team were on the wrestling & rugby teams.
dunno why i turned out so dyel
>>
We had a combo of health/PE 3 times a week. It wasn't hard but being a "smart for my age" DYEL I decided not to try during PE because I was too good for that. Really screwed myself over.
>>
>>37965162
when the fuck exactly does he says this?
>>
The physical education I got was very dumb. Dumb teachers. dumb program. 20 minutes of horse shit routine drills. play flag foot ball for 8.5 minutes.

They should teach:

Skills:

>Gymnastic skills: progressions to get to those awesome holds and movents like rope climbs
>running form like POSE
>swimming technique
>how to maintain their own bodies stretching/ rolling: mobilityWOD/ Kelly Starrett
>movement practice

Concepts:

>biomechanics: how not to run your vehicle into the ground
>nutrtion: how to feed youself: truely and tactically. planning. phychology etc
>rest and relaxation: the parasympathic stuff
>how to train for your sport if you have one.
>>
My high school was mostly based on prep for its university coalition academy so we barely go out to PE. didn't help that the pe teacher was an old senile fag who spent ~30 minutes into delusional fantasies of nutrition.

Unless you were independent or on the soccer/baseball/football team or the karate for lazy weebs, it was pretty nonexistent
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.