[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm a complete skelly and I am terrible at all sports and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: quads.png (864 KB, 600x579) Image search: [Google]
quads.png
864 KB, 600x579
I'm a complete skelly and I am terrible at all sports and always have been but I want to try rugby in the fall because I want that kind of team mentality and friends and also to have a rugby body, I know how retarded this all sounds so put me into a more realistic frame of mind. I'm fucking tired of being a skelly pussy and want to surround myself with those that aren't because I'm fucking tired of seeing skelly pussies everywhere in my life and having to be on their level

I'm planning on cracking down on lifting but also to do cardio since that's what I've always been shitty at

What I'm worried of now though is how the fuck do I throw/kick? Like how can I learn how to do that? It takes me an absurdly long amount of time to learn new skills and if I wait to do that shit when/if I actually go out for this then I'd make a complete pussy out of myself. So what do I do? How do I learn how to throw? I've always thrown like a girl by default and despite every instance where I've tried to throw the right way over my 21 years I've still never been able to figure out how to do it right.

Not to mention, how the fuck do I not get my ass kicked? Like if some guy runs full force at me then how do I react as to not fall straight to the ground?

tl;dr skelly pussy with a ridiculous inferiority complex wants to play rugby but doesn't have any clue how and also has no idea how to throw/kick and doesn't want to be humiliated, also doesn't want to eat shit, what do I do?
>>
>>37953219
bump you shits
>>
what the fuck I made a thread now you cunts reply to it because you do what I want you to do
>>
>>37953219

For throwing

>stand with arm straight out at your side, palm forward
>turns hips so you're facing your hand
>place other hand hand on hip
>using your tricep, push hip hand straight out until your palms meet

That's the basic muscle memory of it. Throwing starts at the hips. Once you understand that, introduce a ball to your hip hand, holding it from the rear and releasing it right before your palms meet, again thrusting with the tricep.

Then once you can aim decently doing that, start with both hands on the ball, with your hip hand near the rear and the formerly outstretched hand near the front, releasing at the apex and pointing both open hands directly at where you want to throw it.

Power comes from your rear hand and the guidance from the front hand. If you throw it right, both of your hands will be pointing directly at where you're aiming and the ball should spin naturally. If you have to force a spin you're doing it wrong.

For the rest of your post, just eat and lift. And I mean really fucking eat. The physicality is something you'll have to just get used to, but after you get creamed your first game it won't really bother you anymore. It's a lot more mental than physical. The key is to not psych yourself out before contact happens and to learn how to take a hit and keep playing. The rest just relies on your size and strength, which you can improve in the gym.
>>
I want you to do 4 things. They will prepare you for playing rugby.

> start watching rugby, especially the all blacks and the spring boks. Focus on the backs, specifically, the wings.
> Obviously, start lifting, but start sprinting and running. You'll never get big enough to hold off a forward, you need to learn to out maneuver him. Become faster than they are big.
> Go buy a ball. They're not incredibly expensive, and they're almost indestructible. Look up some tutorials, maybe ask around. You only throw underhand, and kick is either punting, drop kicking from the ground, or kicking from a stand. Learn to do all three quickly and on the fly with good form.
> Most importantly, stop being a pussy. You can be the tiniest, weakest, goofiest mother fucker, but if you run shoulder first into the meanest guy on the other side without hesitation, even he will respect you.
>>
Find someone who plays currently and tell them what you just told us, but leave out the embarrassing bits.
>>
>>37953219
First of all
>this fall
Not going to happen. No sane coach would put you on the field so your mother can sue when you break your neck.

Focus on long term goals. Your immediate goal should be to bulk up. This requires EATING; if you focus on only one thing it should be this. Read the sticky for training and start with SS. Cardio conditioning should not come at the expense of mass, you can do it, but don't fall into the trap many newbie lifters of thinking "pushing yourself" to get a cortisone high is in any way good for your. Push yourself on your weights and food not running.

Buy a rugby ball and practice throwing in your yard/against a matress in your room if you don't have one. The other Anon explained it quite well also if you want to put spin on it then flick your middle finger in just before release.

Kicking is a skill on it's own and not something most players on the field need to care about. If you want to get good at it go practice on the field on weekends.

>Not getting knocked
First of all even the strongest man can easily be knocked down when he's off balance. Your ideal posture should have your knees slightly bent with one foot slightly in front of other (google videos of boxers and pay attention to their stance during a fight for a good visual). During the actual blow your goal is absorb momentum without falling which is accomplished mainly by your quads and core muscles. When you feel some torsion you can quickly "step back" in this posture allowing you to stay on your feet and then push back with most of his momentum gone.
>>
>>37953219
Watch martial art/boxing stances on youtube for preventing yourself getting floored. Also research falling techniques.
Part of the charm is that you get beaten up. Don't be afraid of pain if getting into rugby. You will look like thrice the faggot you are.
>>
Thanks to all of you. This is all useful information.
I'm still confused by the throwing part though, like how >>37953488 says to put my other hand on my hip and to make my palms meet? Or how >>37953632 mentions the flicking the finger, which I've heard before but still don't really get.
Also for >>37953632 I can focus on mass but I absolutely cannot sprint for any significant duration of time and I'm of the impression that this is something that is absolutely important, if not for playing then for practicing. I don't know how I'm supposed to get better cardio if it's not something I don't specifically push myself towards?

Also, what workouts should I focus on specifically? And how often should I do these workouts? Would every other day not be enough? I have shit motivation in my life in general but I want to do the best I can at this, but realistically speaking I know from experience that if I go about this trying to go full throttle at the gym every day that I'll crash in less than half a week.
>>
>>37953219
Rugby player from New Zealand here. It's pretty simple what you have to do. Find a team and figure out when they train and start going. You won't be In the starting 15 but you'll get to mix with the team make some new bros and after a season they you will be ready for solid run on the field
>>
>>37953996

Just google or look up youtube videos on how to throw. It's a lot simpler than it sounds, explaining it over text just seems to overcomplicate it.

Any strength routine, SL 5x5, SS, or reg parks, or any generic powerlifting routine would all work. Some professional teams post their routines online but generally they're gonna be way too advanced for you. 3 times a week is all you need as long as you're lifting heavy for your current progress level. The most important muscles for rugby are the core, legs, and posterior chain, so don't neglect those aspects of your routine.

For cardio, if you can't run for 30 minutes straight without feeing like dying, do couch to 5k until you can. After that, start incorporating HIIT into your routine. I used to go to a track and sprint the straights and jog the curves. The key for rugby is being able to recover from sprinting while still moving/running. You don't get regular breaks like in football so this is really important. Sprinting is also reliant on your leg strength, so getting stronger in the gym will help here. But you'll need that cardiovascular endurance too, which is easier to train with distance running rather than HIIT if you're a beginner.

Youre gonna need to eat a metric fuckton if you're a legit skeleton, since all the cardio is gonna work against you if you're trying to build mass, but you can't really neglect either aspect. Protein shakes are a really easy way to cram calories in without feeling like you're gonna explode. Peanut butter is also relatively cheap, calorie dense, and delicious.

In short
>SL, SS, or any strength routine
>couch to 5k for cardio endurance
>HIIT for sprint training once you can run a reliable distance/time
>eat a fuckton, use protein shakes

After you've got a good base start looking up agility drills and plyometrics like box jumps. Also, if you know anyone who plays rugby, just talk to them about it. Ruggers love talking about rugby.
>>
>>37954332
>>37954245
Thanks, I'll keep all of this in mind

One more thing, protein shakes give me shitty diarrhea, how can I combat this?
>>
>>37954685

Might be mildly lactose intolerant. They make some lactose free milk products that you could use. Or just use water with them, although personally I think water shakes taste like ass.

Protein farts and shits are normal though. Generally your body will get used to it after a while but you're gonna have some thermonuclear farts for a good bit.
>>
>>37954857
Word thanks

And any suggestions for any specific muscle groups to train? I'm assuming thighs are important.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.