[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Deadlift grips: D.Overhand, Hook, Straps, Alt
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1
I'm far beyond being able to double overhand my deadlift. So naturally I'm using a different grip style. However, I'd still like to develop my grip strength as much as possible, but still deadlift heavy. Between the hook grip, alternating grip and using straps, which one develops your grip strength the most? I currently use alternating grip, but I've seen that cause muscle imbalances in people, so I want to use something else. I'm stuck deciding between hook grip and straps. Any unbiased suggestions?
>>
All suggestions will be biased based on the poster's experience.
That being said, I use mixed grip for my heaviest sets, but double overhand and then hook grip for all sets working up to the heaviest.
Hook is good because it still works your forearms but it does allow you to hold heavier weight.
Straps may be good, but this is where my bias comes out, I've never been able to use them effectively, and I never have the patience to continue practicing with them because I'd rather just get my heavy deadlifts done in a way that I already know works.
People will give me shit for this, as well, but it's not the worst thing in the world to wear gloves for a heavy deadlift; it will allow you to continue training your grip and help you hold more without having to change your grip.I don't wear gloves anymore, but I did when I first started lifting, and while in general I prefer lifting without them, for deadlifts and pull-ups with heavy weight, they were pretty good.
For reference, I'm a natural bodybuilder, been lifting for a few years, mostly for recreation and then aesthetics.
My heaviest deadlift was 565 for 2 at bodyweight 216.
My current deadlift is 425 for 5 at 187 pounds.
>>
Not OP, but bumping. I've got back issues, so when I start slowly moving into deadlifts again, i'll only progress with double overhand
Would still be interesting to read a detailed response
>>
Hookgrip blows without chalk
AND IT HURTS
>>
>>37770273
ah thread didn't update after senpai replied above me
>>
>>37770251

For most people, gloves will decrease their grip ability when deadlifting compared to using chalk because it effectively makes it a fat bar deadlift.
>>
>>37770251
Weird, gloves are usually known to impede deadlift grip. I only use mine for kettlebell cleans.
>>
>>37770291
>>37770300
Yeah, I've heard this too, and I can definitely follow the logic behind it. I always believed it should be the case as well, however for me I found it to be the opposite, and maybe it will be the same for OP, or maybe not, but life is about experience I guess.
>>
>>37770325

Its usually only the opposite if you don't have access to/use chalk. Having a slightly thicker bar is often less of an issue than sliding off the bloody thing because your hands are leaving sweat everywhere.
>>
>>37770348

The bars at your gym don't have grooves?

Never had a problem with sweaty hands because of the grooves.

I use double overhand for warmup sets, mixed grip for the heavy working sets.
>>
If you can lift the weight with hook, always do hook. If you have to put your thumb around, that isn't a big deal, but it will cause callouses. Switch grip is the most ideal grip for decreasing callouses in the far-end
>>
Deadlifting is for fags
>>
alternating grip for work sets
double overhand for warmup sets, including some static holds

>hook grip

do i look like an olympic lifter?
>>
I would say hook grip but it comes to personal preference.
>>
Double overhand with chalk.
>>
>>37770193
Do whichever you're most comfortable with. There's a lot of internet talk about hook grip and shit, but other than people with severe elbow issues (they can't straighten their arms fully) I've never seen anyone pull over 600 with hook grip. Now that I think about it, I've never seen anyone pull over 500 with hook grip.

I messed around with it for a while, but when I went over 450 or so it started fucking up some nerves in my thumb, so now I DOH during warmups and light rep work, over under for heavy sets.
>>
this should be your progression:
double overhand -> add chalk -> hook grip -> straps

double overhand+chalk on everything you can. hook grip for your heaviest sets. straps if necessary on certain exercises, like rack pulls, if necessary.
>>
>>37778203
>Now that I think about it, I've never seen anyone pull over 500 with hook grip.
I'm sure you have. here's a guy pulling 876
http://youtu.be/RLzfowdwaXM
>>
>>37778279
I meant in person, at the PL gym I go to. Sorry for not clarifying.
>>
hook w/ chalk
>>
hook + chalk, switch to mixed if you feel your grip fail, always start with hook though for dem forearms gains
>>
>>37778240
Close, except there is literally no reason not to use chalk from day 1. Why ever let moisture even play a factor to begin with.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.