[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone on fit do cycling instead of running? Are there any
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 7
File: index.jpg (11 KB, 290x174) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
11 KB, 290x174
Does anyone on fit do cycling instead of running? Are there any beginners programs similar to couch to 5k for the bike?
>>
I ride my bike everywhere but I'm dutch so its pretty much expected of me.

Use google maps to find a nice route and ride that every day.

Time it and try to improve.
>>
>>37759255
I cycle and run, but for the moment it's mostly cycling.
You don't need a program, just ride regularly. That should do for the beginning.
Make sure you push yourself every once in a while (but not the whole time on every ride).
Try to increase the length of your rides. Find hills to ride up.
Important: learn how to handle your bike. Cornering, braking, being aware of what's around you could some day save your life.

If you want to work towards a goal, there are organised rides (no timing, public roads) or races that anyone (not just club members) can join (sometimes on a closed circuit, sometimes on public roads). Don't know what that's called in english.

Once you've been at it for a while it's a good idea to find people to ride with. There are group rides in many cities, so you can probably find something on the internet.
>>
>>37759255
Cycling is really poor cardio. You'll put a lot of effort into it, get only mild whole-body returns, and your thighs will burn like the sun.

I can get more bang for my buck with 5 minutes of running than an hour of cycling.
>>
>>37759940
Cycling is best cardio except for swimming maybe for heavy people. Im 6'4 failry built 200 pounds and my knees cant stand more than 1 hour of jogging per week
>>
>>37759940
i don't believe this. Cyclers have juicy legs. Even their calves are more pronounced which you wont get with weight lifting
>>
Heh, yesterday I've bought an expensive bike and even though I'm pretty good at riding, I have no idea how to fix shit or what kinds of parts are there.
>>
>>37759255
I prefer cycling. I have to be careful not to cycle too much, actually. I normally try and aim for 5 hours a week
>>
>>37759255
You can do a similar thing while cycling, depending on where you live it might be hard to make a decent route though because you will cover way more than 5k during the 20- 30 mins of cycling.

>>37760290
>I have no idea how to fix shit or what kinds of parts are there.
That's the product of living in the west. Be glad to live in a good enough place that you don't need to fix stuff yourself and can afford to pay for repairs and replacements instead.
>>
>>37759940
Cycling is way more fun than running.
The feeling of speed and climbing hills is just really fun.
>>
>>37760365
This, it's better because you actually want to do it
>>
>>37760346
bro, I live in a Slavic country
>>
>>37760290
Learn how to fix a flat and always bring what you need on a road trip.
>>
Are fixed gears a meme? I just want a cheap first bike to ride around on, I can get a cheap fixed gear one on Amazon. At least with a fixed gear there's less stuff to worry about breaking right?

I'd use bikesdirect but I'm in Canada and they don't ship here.
>>
>>37759940
Your first sentence tells me your a bitch who is scared to hurt themselves. Cyclists have some of the highest VO2 Max's ever recorded. Stop giving shitty advice.
>>
>>37761781
Fixed gear bikes are nice if you live in a flat area, Cause going up a hill on fixed gears is fucking death.
>>
>>37760297
>too much
>5 hours a week
Why? To lose gains? It's a great way to stay lean. I lifted quite seriously 4 days a week while biking 5x a week and never felt better. Didn't affect gains all that much, just needed to eat quite a bit more to compensate.
>>
>>37761781
Gears on bikes are such old tech. that they don't really go wrong all that often. We've pretty much perfected the mechanism. Plus, anyone can learn their way around derailleurs and gears with an hour's worth of tinkering. In the long run, if you want to approach anything related to serious cycling, get a bike with gears. It's also more fun. If you're at all nerdy, on long rides it's somewhat entertaining to try different gear configs at different gradients to maximize power and efficiency.
>>
>>37761781
If you want a bike just to get from A to B and on flat ground, then fixed gears are completely fine.
For anything more you'll want gears.
>>
>>37761920

Even then, I'd rather have a single speed.
>>
File: IMG_20160606_215150.jpg (2 MB, 2749x2750) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160606_215150.jpg
2 MB, 2749x2750
Ride 10 miles to work, 10 miles back, great cardio. Prob have around 120 miles on the bike in a month and a half. lost like 2% bf if in that time. Just ride on a big gear and you legs will get a workout.
>>
>>37761949
Why?
Also, what are your cog specs?
Also, has anyone ever tried commuting in a 48x15 build?
>>
>>37761893
I lift about 6 days a week and cycle about 5. I am worried about the gain loss. I eat more to compensate. For me 4 or 5 hours a week is perfect. Anymore and I feel like I'm overtraining.
>>
>>37761781

They're not a meme, in that it is actually a thing people do (as opposed to just being a joke people quote on the internet, which is what a meme is.).

But it's strictly a fashion statement, made by edgy hipsters who work very hard at putting together a "style" that looks like they just went to a second hand store and bought "whatever". Objectively speaking, there is no benefit.
>>
I started doing Uber eats delivery on my bicycle for some extra cash and in place of my regular cardio. I ride 40km a day and lift 3 times a week.
It seems to be affecting my leg strength a bit, but upper body us fine
>>
I just started biking recently, and I can go twice as far in half the time compared to running. Plus, your joints don't get pounded to hell if you're heavier like me
>>
>>37759940
>it's a DYEL explains how to get big episode
Post your body and your glorious legs so we can laugh
>>
>>37761781
I ride fixed gear because I don't trust bike brakes

It's safer, easier to maintain, faster (unless you're a lard ass) and better cardio since you can't coast
>>
File: Montana.jpg (78 KB, 438x280) Image search: [Google]
Montana.jpg
78 KB, 438x280
>>37763638
>I don't trust bike brakes

Wut

I'd rather have them all the time and risk them failing than not being able to stop, ever.
>>
>>37763403
To add to this, one can also cycle much longer than one can run.

So if you're serious about losing weight / burning lots of calories, cycling might be the better option:
less intense, but sustainable for longer periods at a time, so total energy spent will be a lot more.
>>
File: image.png (178 KB, 750x1334) Image search: [Google]
image.png
178 KB, 750x1334
I bike because my joints are pretty fucked from skateboarding when I was a teen. I found that there's a short limit to how long I can walk/jog on a treadmill without being in pain and stopping, whereas I can bike for hours
>>
>>37766421
San Antonio has an international airport? who knew
>>
i have to due to old feet injuries works like a charm and no pain helped me get leaner than ive ever been
>>
>>37759940
Even Lance Armstrong said on JRR that he prefers to run over cycling for cardio because it takes less time
>>
>>37768272
*JRE
>>
>>37768272
yeah but he also does steroids so fuck him
>>
>get on bike
>go somewhere
>get tired
>go back home
is this a hard concept to wrap your head around OP?
>>
File: fcj4p.jpg (71 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
fcj4p.jpg
71 KB, 600x900
>>37759940
This man has never run in his life

Find me a professional runner who looks like this
>>
>>37768385
It's not that he did steroids, every international pro at the time did. It's that he ran a ring of intimidation and bribery, and trashed everyone in his way
>>
>>37762766
I'm sure it's a /fa/shion statement to some degree, but there are other reasons. I converted one of my bikes to a fixed gear because I really wanted to ride backwards and do easy trackstands!

It's also a different experience since you don't coast.
>>
>>37761781
Fixie rider here
Since you always need to pedal there's no way to cheat or stop moving when going downhill, so as far as exercising goes you'll get easily more tired.
Going uphill is gonna be a real struggle, and there's only a certain speed you can reach with one gear depending on how hard you can pedal.

Recommended for short trips or sprint workouts like its intended use in track cycling
>>
>>37768613
why would anyone want legs that look like that
>>
>>37768613
he's definitely cycling something(s), bruh
>>
>>37759255
ride all the time, just did my second century in a month. and until recently averaging 150 miles a week...

here is what you do.
Bring some food with you and eat every 45 minutes while riding.
having the right gear also helps
hit some mountains
if you have to take a break dont stop for long, infact push yourself to not stop at all, with time you should be able to hit 50 miles or more without stopping.
for distance pace yourself at 1st, you arent going to hold 20mph for hours when you are a beginner
dont stop
dont expect 170 heart rate for hours on end, honestly I bounce from 130 to 150 and peak for only 30 minutes at 170 in a 3 hour ride
stop doing squats and dl during peak riding season, your knees will thank you.
dont pick routes with stop signs and stop lights
slow don for pedestrians, its not their fualt they are too stupid to be considerate of others

>>37760290
tons of tutorials on youtube..
>>
File: FthePolice.jpg (63 KB, 500x573) Image search: [Google]
FthePolice.jpg
63 KB, 500x573
>>37762129
>Ride 10 miles to work, 10 miles back, great cardio. Prob have around 120 miles on the bike in a month and a half.
So you've gone to work six times in the last 90 days?
>>
i have been cycling for over a year and i thought i was getting good cardio. one day i tried to go for a run and i was fucking winded in a heartbeat. cycling is fake cardio.
>>
>>37770552
>a month and a half
>90 days
DOES NOT COMPUTE
>>
>>37769229
How do you eat while riding (srs, not trying to be a dick, just like, you said to try not to stop and also to bring food with you, so I found that confusing)
>>
>>37770552
45 days famalam
>>
File: bikepole.jpg (53 KB, 800x621) Image search: [Google]
bikepole.jpg
53 KB, 800x621
>>37770599
Dammit I knew I was too fucked up for that. My point stands however.
>>
>>37770572
Same thing would happen to someone who only ever ran and then tried to actually cycle. Your working the muscles in a different way.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.