[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
guys, i hurt my lower back on nov. 13 doing OHP. it freaked me
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
guys, i hurt my lower back on nov. 13 doing OHP. it freaked me out (was thinking disc damage) and i went to the doctor and he said it was a "lumbar strain" and take ibuprofin.

what happened was, i got a coach and focused so much on deadlift and squat form (they ssaid was great), i thought i was good on OHP and did it on my own, but i believe i arched my back during it and so caused strain

well, i was scared as fuck for a few days, but it recovered way faster than i thought and i'm like almost 100%.

should i wait till the new year to start again, just to make sure ? or should i start up slow after thanksgiving, and get a coach really look at my form.

the doctor said "never lift anything over your head" but i think if you use proper form (clench butt cheeks, and don't arch back). seems like alot of people do standing OHP without issue, and its great for the whole body if you do it properly.

sorry for long response but i really wanted to do this program, but dont want to fuck myself up. i'm 39 (inb4 39 on /fit/).

do alot of you do OHP in your programs?
>>
>>35012358
SS, SL, and related programs are popular among the nerds that come here, so I think it's safe to assume a lot of us do OHP. It's also just a really common lift. I'm not an expert and if your doctor said NEVER lift anything over your head, then maybe you should get a 2nd professional opinion, BUT:

If it were me, I would do a significant deload (maybe 25%+) and focus on good form and slow reps. Slowly ease back to the weight you were using and continue from there if you don't experience any pain. Seeing a coach obviously wouldn't hurt.
>>
>>35012358
>>35012391

...also seated dumbell press might be a good alternative until you feel more confident about your back.
>>
I think you should focus more on bracing. If you have a belt, it's crazy helpful.
I figure you should take a deload (20 or 10 per cent) and work your way back up again, with focus on bracing, not arching your back, slow and controlled reps yadda yadda.

I got my OHP up to 67.5 kg for 4 reps, with a 1RM of 75 kg and called it fucking quits and ditched it in favour of benching more. Instead, I opted to work on handstand pushup progression, and enjoy doing that a lot more. I won't vouch for it being more effective, though.

Just play it safe brah, you only get one back to break.
>>
Record some of your OHP:s

Most likely your OHP, looks like standing incline bench press.

Take notes from this guys OHP.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gekowR_NsdM
>>
>>35012358
Just listen to your body, bro. The Press and its variations are great exercises and should be included in any serious program.

Start light, focus on strict form at first. Don't push yourself too hard. If you feel no pain, you're probably fine. Just work your way up never sacrificing form for “just a couple more reps" or “this weight shouldn't be this hard, whatever I got this!".

And if your doctor isn't a sports/athletic specialized doctor, take his advice with a grain of salt.

But he's right, the best way to avoid injury is to not do anything risky and there is a lot of risk in lifting weights IMPROPERLY, which is nearly everyone's mistake.

Do it right and you shouldn't ever get injured.
>>
>>35012661

it just seems weird that he can lean back like that - but there's no arching ?
>>
File: BACKBE10.gif (27 KB, 114x199) Image search: [Google]
BACKBE10.gif
27 KB, 114x199
>>35012661
>standing incline bench press.

sure it does, i bet OP is completely capable of this
>>
>>35012661

so you just bend your upper back?
>>
File: images.jpg (5 KB, 286x176) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
5 KB, 286x176
>>35012358
>OHP
did you mean The Press?
>>
>>35013653
yes
>>
>>35012358
I've done this before.. You can lean into it kind of like a snatch but def not that far.
But anyways I thought my back was messed up but it seemed to go away. And it actually never did. I can't do DL anymore, or cleans. I have to do hang cleans instead. And low bar b squat for ham gains. I'm in pretty much constant pain every day.
>>
>>35012358
>clench butt cheeks, and don't arch back
literally this.

start with babby weight, don't be afraid to not push yourself. for the first couple workouts.

just test the waters, see how comfy you feel with pressing again.
>>
>>35014066
>I'm in pretty much constant pain every day.

from doing the press wrong ????
>>
>>35012391
>>35012405
sage
>>
>>35012358
I did the same with push press. It was worst after waking up most mornings. The pain woke me up repeatedly in the morning. Now I'm on muscle relaxers to keep it from tensing up too bad at night and I took a week off from really rigorous activity. I still avoid overhead activities but I am well on my way to recovery.
>>
>>35014943

are you going to start up again ?

i was going to get a coach to watch me and go really slow. but with this i have a sense of what a damaged disc would be like, and i'm afraid.

i was maybe going to start in january (4-6 weeks) or maybe couple weeks just to make sure
>>
>>35015428
I haven't done push press since (about 4 weeks now). I'm waiting till my muscle relaxers run out to see how I feel in the mornings and after jiu jitsu classes. If all is well, I might start incorporating then again.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.