[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Push pull legs okay for a beginner?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: CjC3aLCWsAAvaGR.jpg (18 KB, 377x392) Image search: [Google]
CjC3aLCWsAAvaGR.jpg
18 KB, 377x392
I've only been to a gym for like 2 months and that was last year. I was thinking of doing this one I found from reddit but doing pplrpplrpplr as I'm just a noob. I am wondering if this is okay as it is not 6 days a week but I figured the same muscles would be hit within a 5 day period. It's just that I feel as a beginner I'd need a days rest between leg and pull.

https://m.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/37ylk5/a_linear_progression_based_ppl_program_for/

Just did pull today.d
>>
>>37493400
Stop overthinking where exactly you plan in your rest days; just make sure you go 6 times per week if you are going to be doing such a routine.

or even better yet, choose a routine which is more suited for your current fitness level. You won't be progressing any faster by doing a routine you are not ready for and burning yourself out.

Other than that, the routine seems alright. A bit too much focus on arms for my liking (I'd want to focus on hitting other muscle groups more extensively), but to each his own, I guess.
>>
>>37493471
But wouldn't you say I at least need a days rest between pull and legs as my muscles will need to recover?
>>
>>37493543
Eh. The only problem I see are the deadlifts, but it's not like you do mad volume on those anyway. Personally, I could easily recover from that enough to not have it excessively affect my other leg lifts the day after.

Then again, like I said. If you cannot handle the volume you probably shouldn't be doing this in the first place.
>>
>>37493400
It's okay for everybody.
>>
>>37493400
Week 1

Monday: Push (Chest, Shoulders, Triceps)
Tuesday: Pull (Back, Biceps)
Wednesday: off
Thursday: Legs (Quads, Hamstrings, Calves, Abs)
Friday: off
Saturday: Push (Chest, Shoulders, Triceps)
Sunday: Pull (Back, Biceps)
Week 2

Monday: off
Tuesday: Legs (Quads, Hamstrings, Calves, Abs)
Wednesday: off
Thursday: Push (Chest, Shoulders, Triceps)
Friday: Pull (Back, Biceps)
Saturday: off
Sunday: Legs (Quads, Hamstrings, Calves, Abs)

The Rotating Push/Pull/Legs Split (5 Day Cycle)

basically you hit the muscle groups each 3 times in a 2 week period instead of 2 times in a 1 week period.

Straight from http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/push-pull-legs-split/
>>
File: 1464567037509.jpg (172 KB, 600x390) Image search: [Google]
1464567037509.jpg
172 KB, 600x390
>>
>>37493543
Assuming your doing it in the order listed....it shouldn't be a problem as you already have a day of rest in between (IE: push day). Using Monday as the start of the week and Sunday as your rest day.

Monday you deadlift, Tuesday you do push, Wed you do legs, Thursday you do rows, Friday you push, Sat you legs and Sun you rest.

There shouldn't be any issue
>>
>>37493619

good form, pupper
>>
>>37493628
btw I mean a rest day between doing deadlifts and legs. I don't count the row day as very taxing on the low back if doing something like pendlay rows so there is no need for a rest

You could also just as easily do...

PPLRPPLRPPLRPPLR, xforever

A "cycle" is 8 days and it means that you don't do the same lift every monday as you did last monday, but the end result is nearly the same. Over the course of a year your talking about basically doing 2 less of each day, won't make any difference.

What matters more is that you..you know, go do it.
>>
I did PPLx the first 5 months of lifting. I reached otter mode very quickly (4 months or so) but my lifts weren't amazing. I switched to PHUL after 5 months and my lifts went up straight away.

So speaking from personal experience, go for PPLX if you want to go for aesthetics, but keep the taxing lifts (squat, dl, ohp, bench) light so you won't burn yourself out.
>>
>>37493714
I disagree completely (don't confuse this with me saying your wrong, your not wrong per sa, simply I don't think this is the right idea at all).

You want to keep the main lifts as heavy as possible because that is where your building strength, which as a new lifter should be your focus. Also because your only doing a single heavy lift each day, unlike something like an SS or Greyskull there is even less reason not to go hard on that lift. And since your only doing a heavy lift once a week (except squats) I don't see the reason you need to hold yourself back at all.

(You only DL once, you row the other day. You do a 5 rep bench and ohp once a week, the other set is a 12 rep for higher volume, the only major exercise you do twice a week as heavy is squats)....

If you can't handle doing 6 days a week, don't. Do a standard 3 day a week compound. But if your going to choose to go 6 days, then you need to make those big lifts payoff and that is by doing heavy lifts.

With that said PHUL is a good program after you feel you have made good progression on this.
>>
No.
>>
>>37493400
I don't get why people need a whole day for legs. Squat and deadlift heavy and you're good.
I'd personally just do a 4 day split and do some light cardio on rest days
>>
I started that with noob lifts after getting no results from a three day full body, and I love it. Don't listen to the SS memers, it's great for size and strength gains.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.