[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do you think that going to a gym is superior to bodyweight
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4
File: 9907_73e2.jpg (218 KB, 500x583) Image search: [Google]
9907_73e2.jpg
218 KB, 500x583
Why do you think that going to a gym is superior to bodyweight exercises? Considering accepting this meme as my lord and savior.

Reasons against:
- investment fallacy does provably not work on me
- I can do progressions in order to adjust the weight
- leaving the house is extra difficulty when it's cold
- there are other, buffer people who I might feel bad with my beginner plush toys

Reasons in favor:
- everyone says do it faget
- might be an advantage to do the same movement with more weight
- finer adjustment of weights might be an advantage
- might find a gym buddy to increase motivation

Also, how do you motivate yourself to work out consistently for years? I always failed after a few weeks, probably due to a very inconsistent lifestyle.
inb4 never gonna make it
As long as I figure this habit out before I'm 30 there is still hope. Also nutrition is already at autist-level.
>>
If you're a beginner you need to build strength. If you want to build strength you need to do 5 reps or less with weight that you can only lift for n or n+1 reps. That's not going to happen with bodyweight exercise. Going from 20-40 pushups is endurance, not strength gains.
>>
>>37408440
That's my dude Charle Slime
he indeed goes to the gym
he's slightly autismo but based af
>>
There is so much misinformation in this post that it doesn't surprise me you admit to repeatedly failing at the gym within a few weeks.

US Army soldiers go off to OSUT during an infantry enlistment and do way more push ups, sits ups, flutter kicks, running, and other insane work outs under extreme stress than you will ever motivate yourself to do. On top of that, their nutrition is impeccable because it has to be (they have no choice). When they leave basic, they basically just look thinner and maybe a little more tone.

The reason is because the weight of your body is not nearly enough for you to put on serious muscle. If you want to get good at doing push ups, then do push ups. Moreover, the OP really gives the impression that you have no idea what you're doing, which is even more reason why you shouldn't just resort to working out at home.

Find a trainer / group of guys / buff master who will show you the way.
>>
>>37408578
Do you know what progressions are? I mentioned them and thinking bwe are just 40 pushups is hard strawmanning.

I want to know what difference it makes between doing i.e. onehanded handstand pushups (which most of you might be able to do less than the 5 reps mentioned) and doing an exercise witch similar target muscle groups based around weights.
>>
>>37408738
addendum. I feel like I want to go to the gym, because this is what all the guys who made it did, but on the other hand I think this is a meme and would politely ask for actual reasons. And apologies in advance for any triggering this might cause, I know this is a touchy subject for many.
>>
>>37408738
lmao if you're an unfit fuck who never lifted weights you aren't going to be doing onehanded handstand pushups. You're going to go from 5 to 40 pushups then try a handstand and fail miserably to do one rep. Calisthetics is a meme.

If you're a lazy fuck and you think calisthetics is real you need a lot of help. Go to the gym and pay for a trainer to basically babysit your bitch ass. Otherwise you'll never make it.
>>
>>37408784
The babysitting aspect might be a point.

Although you might be trolling with your misunderstanding what a progression is. It does not mean going from pushups to handstands, there are intermediate steps. In my OP I already adressed the issue that they might still be to big.
>>
>>37408738
What are you gonna do for legs? There is no body weight excercise equivalent to squats with heavy weight.
>>
>>37408865
This is an unsolved problem, right now I am fine with progressively deeper one-legged squats though. Ideas are weightfilled backpacks or those stretchbands (inb4 haha i have associations with pregnant woman doing yoga)
>>
>>37408925
Resistance bands can be good.
If you just don't want to go to the gym you can get weight plates and dumbbell handles for home for like $1/lb
>>
>>37408817
>calisthetics
>real training program
Seriously, pick one. Doing a ridiculously complicated and autistic program with fucking backpack weights and 1000000 different variations just cuz you're too lazy to leave the house doesn't make any sense. Your progress is going to be shit because you're trying to build muscle while learning a thousand different variations that will only be useful for a week.
>>
>>37408738

Assuming that I don't know what "progressions" are because I call out your bullshit illustrates that your greatest problem is that you think you know everything. What was the point of coming in here and asking for advice if you weren't going to take it? The reason I cited that infantry example is because I'm a vet who saw that shit first hand.

I stand by my points that you need to go to the gym because:

1. It's way more difficult (if not impossible) to build serious muscle with calisthenics alone.

2. You really don't seem like you know what you're doing, so you need the guidance of another person to correct the insane amount of misinformation you're operating on.

3. You lack the dedication to leave your house to workout for more than two weeks, then you're going to lack the dedication to succeed at seriously transforming your body.

4. All of the resolutions to this problem are at the gym. If you're still going to be a giant pussy about it, go to planet fitness with the rest of the fat asses.
>>
>>37409119
Please don't be offended, you implied progression means going from 40 pushups to handstands, which it does not.

1. why? This is a meme around here but noone gives a reason

2. I thought reading the sticky is superior to asking random dudebros

3. why make it more difficult than necessary though

4. I feel you just have a long list of bullet points but no content

>>37409064
This is a good point though, that learning new progressions might take up a lot of effort. Many progressions are just variations of the same thing for a long time though.

>>37408531
I thought doing 5 or less reps was a meme and you should actually do 6-12, depending on your focus (less for strength, more for looks)
>>
>>37409268
5 or less reps definitely isn't a meme. It's the best way to get strength gains, especially for a beginner. Once you become intermediate you can add 8-12 reps for isolation accesory exercises but doing about 5 reps for sets of heavy compound lifts is the core of any decent training program.
>>
>>37409268
You can't look strong if you aren't strong. Hypertrophy high rep programs only work after you are pushing the limits of your strength (ie your noob gains are gone)
>>
>>37409268
haha oh my god
>>
>>37409268

if with progression you mean doing weighted pull ups and weighted dips, you can build some muscle with it
>>
>>37409268

You're beyond help. You will quit in three months.
>>
>>37409349
This is not true. You can look strong and be v. weak. I was waiting for the squat rack the other day and this pretty beefy dude was squatting 225 for 2 "sets" of like 4 half reps. He asked me to spot him for his last set (seriously? 225?) and failed after the second knee shaking back squish. Anyway I was all ready to let it go but this huge beefy bodybuilder girl deadlifting behind me started giving him advice telling him his knees were gonna explode (lmao) and he seemed lamenable so I offered to show him how to squat. I did an ass to grass squat with 135 and this pussy had the effrontery to tell me that good form was only possible with light weight, thintimation being that I look smaller than both him and the girl? Anyway he went to do calf raises and I did 5*5 of 315 to shame him then walked past him to the water fountain. Pussy.
>>
>>37409493
He might just suck at the squat. I hurt my lower back so my deadlift/squat are way behind Bench/OHP so I look stronger than what my squat would show.
>>
>>37409268
The reason why it's harder to make progression on a body weight program is because "adding weight" means altering the movement. When you are lifting (esspesially in the beginning) you are limited by neuromuscular efficiency. By repeating the same movements during lifting you are building that efficiency and thus adding more stress to your muscles increasing Hypertrophy. If you are changing excercises every few weeks you are constantly being limited by learning new movements.
>>
File: 1464371973474.jpg (166 KB, 848x848) Image search: [Google]
1464371973474.jpg
166 KB, 848x848
>>37409268
Is this guy for real
>>
>>37409493
You're right. I should have specified that synthol use is an exception. But I don't look at synthol users and think they are strong anymore.
>>
You can build both strenght and size on calisthenics, when bodyweight becomes too easy you simply add weight to you exercises.

I'm 17yo, 5' 11", 154 lbs and I can do 10 pull ups with 30kg of extra weight.
>>
>>37409556

>You can build both strength and size with body weight exercises, just add weight to them.
>>
>>37409556
>you can build strength and size with calisthenics by avoiding them and just adding weight instead.
>>
>>37409578
I said that you can build size and strenght with you bodyweight up to a limit (so it's good for begginers). When you overcome that, you can add weight if you still want to avoid gym.
>>
>>37408440
it's not. it depends on what you want

do you have as a goal to gain muscle mass?
then the bodyweight crap is worthless

do you have as a goal to be healthy, athletic and stay lean/become a little leaner?
then bodyweigh exercises +nutrition will work for you
>>
>>37409556
>You can build both strength and size with body weight exercises, just add weight to them.
>>
>>37409606

That's not OP's point. He's wants to rely on calisthenics alone and is trying to justify that this is the same as going to the gym.

You're talking about adding weights.

Either way it doesn't matter because OP will fail like he has admitted to in the past. Also, he has no idea what he's doing, so he'll probably fuck up his diet / form / plateau / any number of billions of things that you can fuck up.
>>
File: 1420382284489.png (18 KB, 121x104) Image search: [Google]
1420382284489.png
18 KB, 121x104
>leaving the house is extra difficulty when it's cold
>>
>>37409606
No you said
>You can build both strenght and size on , when bodyweight becomes too easy you simply add weight to you exercises.
>>
This whole thing is retarded. OP's question was answered in the first few posts, but he went on justifying that he should be an autistic fuck who never leaves his house but wants to get jacked and doesn't understand why a gym is necessary.

You don't need to go to the gym or have a ton of expensive equipment to get in great shape, but you need to know what you're doing and you cannot rely merely on calisthenics. Yes, that includes "progressions."
>>
File: 33092.jpg (19 KB, 230x335) Image search: [Google]
33092.jpg
19 KB, 230x335
>>37408440
I...I feel like bringing up the elephant in the room, or should I say the FRENCH MAID POLNEREFF!
>>
>>37409493
you know nothing about these guys and make fast conclusions. He could have bad knees, ankles or he used to do legpress and this is his first squat session. You sound like a big douche that judges people without knowing anything about them, and with no valid information decide to post this cool story on an ananymous board to feel good about yourself.
>>
>>37409728

In all fairness, that's everybody here.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.