[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Running General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5
File: 2398723572.jpg (37 KB, 550x397) Image search: [Google]
2398723572.jpg
37 KB, 550x397
Running General.

I went for a fast 5k today. Went way better than expected taking the weather into account, a few seconds away from an PR.

How is your training going anon?
>>
>>37347355
Ive been doing 30 minute runs in the morning, but it seems to leave my blood pressure elevated for the rest of the day.

Why is this?
>>
>>37347355
It's going okay...
At 30 miles a week atm and finally going to go back to the gym to get some strength back (i dropped lifts for a few months so DOMs wouldnt get in the way of my mileage progression.)
I can't seem to break 19:30 for my 5k or 42 mins for my 10k...
Any advice guys?
>>37347403
Dehydration maybe?
>>
Getting back into it after a long hiatus, during which I ate myself into oblivion.

Summer 2012, I weighed 130 lbs (I'm 5'7"), ran 30-40 miles per week. I didn't really do any road races or anything. A 5k workout run was about 24:30, not too fast.

Then I started working full time.

Fast forward to now: I weigh 195 lbs, currently in middle of C25K plan.

I've been consistent with it. I've gotten my runs in every week right on time, cut down my boozing, watching my diet more. I shuffled around for 2.4 miles today (11:55 pace, including walking). Disheartening compared to what I used to be, but I'm seeing progress and remembering how much I love to run.
>>
File: images.jpg (33 KB, 482x305) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
33 KB, 482x305
I've started rucking. Running for long distances with additional weight in a rucksack. Did 12km yesterday, most of it wasn't uphill so it wasn't too difficult but it's honestly good as fuck.
>>
>>37347355

Pretty good. Only started running back about four months ago, about once a week on average. 5K is just over 21 min.
>>
>>37347484
isn't adding weight bad for your joints? Won't just running faster achieve the same results?
>>
>>37347569
* citation needed
>>
>>37347569
It all depends. Like anything in life instead of reading a book or a website about it I just tried it. This is a military staple that's been used forever so I think it's pretty safe. As long as you've got a decent diet that aids in joint support and don't ruck if you do have a joint injury I don't see what could go wrong.
>>
>>37347569
yes

generally speaking heavy loads of weight on your joints will in a long run (figuratively, not in one long run) damage your joints, even if you add the weight slowly. You should support the weight 24/7 if you wanted to avoid this

while lifting also puts a lot more weight on your joints, it lasts for seconds and you mostly hold the weight with your muscles, not joints locked. While you running the shockwaves will destroy your joints

rucking is a meme. Running is great because you can add resistance simply by running faster. Adding extra weight is just retarded and pointless; what are you even seeking to achieve? If you want to grow muscle, which generally is the aim when you add more weight, running is the wrong exercise. If you want to gain more stamina, adding weight is meaningless. There's just no point to it
>>
>>37347355
Today I did a 25 minute run, which was 4.5km.

My first goal is to get my 5K under 30 minutes, then by the end of the summer I want to be able to run 10k, and then from there I will work my way up to a marathon.

In high school I hated running but now that I can actually run for more than 60 seconds at a time, I find it enjoyable, especially the feeling afterwards.
>>
What shorts do you guys use? I found a cheap off brand pair of running shorts on Amazon for $16. I wanna into running but am too scared I'd look weird.
>>
Anybody had success in using pose method? Seems like a good way to fix a lot of the problems inherent in "destroying your joints" while making you more efficient
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-05-28-20-52-27.png (196 KB, 721x1280) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-05-28-20-52-27.png
196 KB, 721x1280
Today's run was flat out shitty. It was hot as fuck. It was supposed to be a 12 mile day. Yesterday was shitty also due to how hot it was, and only end up doing 4 instead of 6. But then again, I'm running in a half-marathon next Sunday, so it might be a good thing.

Though, all my runs have been shitty since I ran that marathon a month ago. I haven't felt any motivation at all to run. I'm forcing myself to run just to keep up with my fitness.

Also, before it's asked, app is RunKeeper, and the anime girl picture is not included.
>>
>>37347403
You're still metabolically active, didn't cool down, or you are overtraining for your skill level.

>>37347484
Ever wonder why fat people have knee pain in their early 20's. Protip: it's the extra weight.

>>37347773
Iktf, bro. I hated running. Once I started again, I hated it until I was able to reach 3 miles. Then, I started running on trails. It's enjoyable now because of the scenery while running.

>>37347809
I just wear basketball shorts.
inb4
>basketball shorts
>fedoratip.jpg

>>37347941
Never heard of it. Going to bring it up and read about it.
>>
>>37347941
>>37348091
Did a basic read. Seems more applicable to sprinters. Though the "destroying your knees" is due to shit form and/or shoes. From all the things I've seen thus far, the runners in these articles and videos have shit form to begin with. There is one with a distance runner who brings their legs up really high between strides. Only an idiot would want to smack their foot down from a higher pace. It's no wonder why that person would have joint pains. When I did my beginner marathon training, the first thing was when you stride, keep your foot as low to the ground as possible, since you're going to have a lot of foot strikes in that 26.2 miles. The higher up you bring your foot, the further and more power is going to be involved in the foot strike. That means, more energy being used, and more energy going back into your foot and leg when you land.

Think of a golf ball: drop it from different heights onto pavement. Which height makes it bounce back up higher? No doubt the bigger height. Same thing happens with foot strike. It's why you want to have your foot come up as less as possible while maintaining a good stride.
>>
File: 1445125709823.png (324 KB, 509x339) Image search: [Google]
1445125709823.png
324 KB, 509x339
>tfw no qt3.14 gf to high five after run
>>
File: 1410719575312.png (267 KB, 564x600) Image search: [Google]
1410719575312.png
267 KB, 564x600
>>37348350
>he hasn't tried fitness singles yet
>>
>>37348448

Is that actually a decent place to pick up bitches if your a joocy guy?
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.