[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Took a physique progress photo update today and felt proud. Hadn't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5
File: physique progress may 2016.png (2 MB, 2148x1124) Image search: [Google]
physique progress may 2016.png
2 MB, 2148x1124
Took a physique progress photo update today and felt proud. Hadn't contemplated how long and how far I've gone with fitness, formerly being a totally inactive 65kg/143lb (5'10, 17 y/o) twig to a physically fit 82kg/180lbs 5'11/180cm 23 y/o.

I spent some time writing and reflecting on my whole experience, and thought some of you (especially beginners) might appreciate it.

>Current Fitness Activity Overview

During peak activity levels I weightlift 3-5 times a week and supplement it with yoga and rock-climbing (bouldering) in separate stretches, often trading regular bouldering for regular weight-lifting to keep things interesting. Sessions for all activities are usually an hour, but an hour-half with accessory lifts when there's time. No shorter than 45 mins.

Regarding bouldering, I have a very atypical (heavy) physique for it but I'd still highly recommend heavier-set people pursuing it as it did wonders for gradual bodyweight conditioning and flexibility.

I was so inflexible after 2 years of only lifting and neglecting stretching I couldn't get halfway to touching my toes, so I introduced yoga as a method of rectifying that and for relaxation, and I would absolutely recommend if you're on the fence about it. I also personally felt that purely weightlifting eventually feels like an exercise in vanity and strength that has little day-to-day use if it isn't needed for your job/sports/competing.

(Many more sections incoming)
>>
File: u mad.png (254 KB, 497x425) Image search: [Google]
u mad.png
254 KB, 497x425
>Diet

When bulking, I consumed 2,700-3,000kcal depending on my exercise intensity. Cutting I aimed for 2,000-2,300kcal. My diet was very consistent for all of these years (mostly due to being fine with bland/repetitive meals) until the recent slip.

(The following is my typical cut meal plan. To bulk, I would just double my portion sizes/add more calorific foods e.g peanut butter)

Breakfast: 30g oats, 1 scoop peanut butter porridge with water, maybe an apple or a banana

Lunch: 4 rice cakes, 2 peanut butter and 2 cream cheese, an apple, can of tuna.

Dinner: wholegrain pasta and chicken/pork/beef (made sure to vary meat sources), cheese, tonnes of mixed veg, or stir fry varieties. Was also quite relaxed when dining out, which I do often, but I usually go for these kinds of foods. No Dominos pizzas or anything, however I would relent every few weeks with drunken takeaway food. Weekends with special occasions I'd allow myself to loosen up a little on diet, as I'd probably go insane without experiencing fried chicken every once in a while.

Snacks: Throughout the day, usually wholegrain/oat based protein bars, protein shakes, eggs, apples, tuna cans or greek yoghurt. Again, upping the amount of such objects when bulking.
>>
File: umad2.png (142 KB, 275x295) Image search: [Google]
umad2.png
142 KB, 275x295
>Supplements

Protein: I highly recommend SciMX leancore (not a shill), for values and macros, using half a scoop instead of the stated amount which is more suitable for bulking. I go through periods of relying on shakes to achieve my goal of 120g+ protein per day or just meats and greek yoghurt. I prefer to avoid it as I feel it negatively affects my skin and digestive system.

Preworkout: My favourite was C4, and it was extremely effective in increasing strength and endurance, however I ended up on 3-4 scoops a day and it gave me palpitations and bad sleep. This is through my own lack of self control however and I would recommend it otherwise, but your mileage may vary according to your susceptibility to the supplements, e.g. caffeine. I then started making my own out of the supplements below (ordered in powders/pills from Amazon, 1/3rd price of pre-mixed preworkout).

L-Arginine/Citrulline Malate: This is for the sake of vasodilation. I understand that citrulline malate is far better supported by studies, being more bioavailable/readily absorbed and longer lasting for exercise than L-arginine, however I feel L-arginine is more instantaneous and provide me with more visible vascularity (talking 1cm vein road maps from usually not very noticable). I also feel more "pump", however this all may be placebo, but I like it, so I take it.

Creatine: I cycled it 3 times, thought it was okay. Nothing crazy and made me a bit bloated (you can see in the 82kg photo). Increased strength but wasn't too impressed.

Caffeine: 100-200mg caffeine in pills. I definitely use too much caffeine throughout my day for work, study, etc. so your milage may vary.

Beta-alanine: The crazy parasthesia/skin tingles really get the motivation going, feel more explosive workouts personally, but aware it may be placebo.
>>
Nice work man. From skinny emo teen to ripped shaved head dude. You should be proud. What're your lifts like?
>>
>>37346423
mirin hairline gains op
>>
>>37346576
No sweat off my back man. I sketched the fuck out of shaving my hair, had a swooping fringe covering up my receding hairline, constantly worrying and fussing over it.

Eventually a girlfriend suggested I shaved it and I never looked back. Yes it's receding, and while not ideal I'm fine with how it looks. My initial concern was not being attractive anymore, and if anything interest from the opposite sex went up a tonne, but that might have been due to confidence.
>>
>>37346610
I like your attitude OP. Following
>>
>>37346542
Thanks man. Some lifts are detailed in this section:

>Weight Routine

My weightlifting method comprises of (after learning compound movements for a few months) starting each session with a heavy compound exercise, and trickling down to accessories until I feel all of the muscles I aimed for have been hit enough. These figures were at my peak, and after a slip up I've lost a lot of endurance.

To clarify, this is done by Reps x Sets.

>Shoulders/Back/Bis

(Interchange 10 x 3 with 8 x 4 as needed for variation with heavier weights)
- Barbell Over Head Press 60kg 8 x 3
- Pull ups 14 x 3, sometimes 8kg weighted pull ups 8 x 3, followed by unweighted to failure.
- Lateral raises 20kg 10 x 3 / Lat pull downs
- Dumbell rows 48kg 10 x 3 either side, so 10 x 6 altogether. Done with a slight curve for the lats
- EZ bar bicep curls 40kg, alternate underhand and overhand 10 x 2 each.

>Legs & Abs

- Squat 110kg 5 x 5, to failure, putting weights up in increments 80kg, 90kg, etc., alternate with 100kg 10 x - - Stiff leg dead lift 70kg 10 x 3
- Leg extensions 10 x 3
- Leg curls 10 x 4
- 110kg weighted Calf raises 20 x 4, then 4 x 50 raises non-weighted

>Ab Circuit x 3 (can be added at the end of other workout days too, takes 10mins)
-Russian twists 8kg med ball x 35
- Plank 2min
- Leg raises 25
- Chin up or L-chin up x 8

I see a lot of talk about how compounds are all you need to define your abs but I found targeting them in such a way definitely had worthwhile results.

>Chest/tris

- Dumbell chest press 36kg 10 x 3
- Incline chest flies 26kg 10 x 3
- Dips 10 x 4 OR Decline dumbell flies 28kg 10 x 3. Weighted dips 8kg 5 x 5 occasionally
- EZ bar skullcrushers 35kg 10 x 3 superset with Overhead Dumbell Tricep Extension 20kg 10 x 3
- Pull downs 10 x 3 / Machine tricep extensions 10 x 3
>>
You should post this in /r9k/ as most exercise-denying robots are probably at your beginner stage and could do with seeing this.
>>
> Why I started

My only experience before with sports was some casual rugby, in which I was average, and some board sports. I lifted weights for the first time at the encouragement of my hallmates at the beginning of university. We were all total beginners except for 1 who had a year's experience, which helped with morale as we had barely any idea what the hell we were doing and lifting tiny ass weights, with misguided nutrition involving constantly chugging pointless amounts of various protein shakes and unnecessary supplements. We went to a ridiculous rumoured money-laundering-front bodybuilding/boxing gym where guys in suits with face and hand tats would frequently scurry by carrying briefcases. Decent equipment and roid-freak-huge but friendly attendants. We were a bunch of twigs (I remember chest pressing 10kg dumbbells and my wrists giving out).

I found it was a great way to deal with stress, the counting of reps was nearly meditative, and I kept it up. Eventually I started feeling stronger in my posture, formerly having a gamer hunch and weak wrists (which required special focus with regular forearm curls to rectify, as it initially hindered my lifts). I started to notice changes in my body, and felt much more stronger and happier in my own movements and co-ordination. Then positive body image re-inforcement came, and I began to work on my body and de-stress regularly until it became a habit/positive addiction (cliché term but I would become stressed/depressed when deprived of regular exercise).
>>
File: vtaperprogress1.jpg (540 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
vtaperprogress1.jpg
540 KB, 800x600
>>37346423

While many here won't pay much attention, especially coming from someone they already assume thinks too highly of himself if he's willing to write out his journey in such thorough details and be kind enough to share it, I do appreciate the read. A four or five year journey is a long one and a considerable investment. I feel quite knowledgable and extremely happy with mine two years in, yet I come back here to f/it/ because I know there's still more for me to learn. Even more important, just like you, I know there's a ton of misinformation I can help tip off new lifters to.

I record my thoughts about all of the various topics required to live this lifestyle as well, it's a good exercise mentally even if you never share a word of it. Props on sharing, glad to have you around.
>>
look man you have a decent build but it's really nothing special, at least not enough for u to type all of this shit and for it to even matter

especially all that diet and supplement as if all of that shit was necessary to look like that cmon
>>
You sound like my clients who spin their wheels for a year before I set them straight.
>>
File: pjimage.jpg (185 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
pjimage.jpg
185 KB, 1000x1000
Photo on the left is current
Photo on the right is 9 months ago
>>
>>37349330
How much you lose?

Keep it going
>>
>>37348024
im skinny fat. i want to be you. what do?
>>
>>37349477
About 110 lbs
>>
>>37349330
Why did it take so long to zoom out?
>>
>>37349330
Try growing your hair out while you're still young, other than that you are doing great work :)
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.