[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Slow bench progress compared to delts
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: 1432547885229.jpg (354 KB, 553x869) Image search: [Google]
1432547885229.jpg
354 KB, 553x869
Hey guys, been lifting regularly for about a year.

I started as a skelly, 69kg at 180cm. I am now 78kg.

I'd like to talk today about chest VS shoulder gains. Ten months ago, my bench was 62.5kg (3 x 8) and my OHP was 32.5kg (3 x 8).

Today, my bench is 75kg (3 x 8) and my OHP is 47.5kg (3 x 8). So, while OHP has progressed over 50%, bench has only progressed like 15%.

I have basically the same routine for both - 3 x 8 of the main lift and then one or two accessories. Any idea why this has worked so well for shoulders but poorly for bench? I work both muscle groups every 5 days.
>>
>>37281455

Did you expected to bench 150kg after 10 month of lifting?

>when people take memes to serious
>>
>>37281455
>I work both muscle groups every 5 days
>3x8

you aren't doing it nearly enough.
>>
>>37281455
It could be many thing.
I train in a PPL and both my bench and OHP has increased even though I don't work my bench that much (1 plate OHP ,2 plates bench) on OHP+dips/BP+pushups and 4-6 accessories. 5x5 on main lifts ,12x3 on dips, a rotation on push ups and 3x8 on accessories.

You had a better bench than OHP at first ,if you only train on 3x8 it's no surprise when going heavier you'd hit a plateau eventually.
Looks like it's time for a change of routine. Go heavier for less reps and do some incline DB flies
>>
>>37281812
>>37281943

I suppose I'll try switching bench to 3 x 5 or 5 x 5 and add some more chest accessories, and see if that helps.
>>
>>37281455
the look in her eyes, you just know they fucked
>>
>>37283285
I currently do a 5x5 and have been doing it for 10 months. Went from 120 to 205 so it worked for me!
>>
>Ten months ago, my bench was 62.5kg (3 x 8) and my OHP was 32.5kg (3 x 8).

Right now my bench is 57.5kg(9,7,5) and my OHP is 42.5kg (10,8,6)

Tfw no chest.
>>
>>37281455
Always thought this grill was hot until I saw her nasty ass ugly feet they're the size of men
>>
File: nonormies.jpg (212 KB, 807x515) Image search: [Google]
nonormies.jpg
212 KB, 807x515
>>37287907
>That feel when foot fetish and find those feet hot
>>
>>37281455
Maybe you are using your triceps too much during OHP... and then your bench form is leaning too heavily on them as well. How wide to you grip the bar on bench press? I don't know what to tell you, I'm not an expert. I can say that I broke out of my stall when I switched to suicide grip (home gym safety rack). Good luck.
>>
>>37287972

I go pretty wide, like double shoulder width or a bit less, as long as it's comfortable.

I do narrow grip bench press for triceps as an accessory, as for suicide grip I don't have a safety so I'd rather not die.

I think I'll try a routine change, switch to 5 x 5 plus accessories, perhaps incline DB press plus flies, and see where that gets me.
>>
>>37281455
i had a shitty bench too but i wasnt
>squeezing the shoulderblades
>arching my back with butt on the bench
>keeping my wrists straight
>and keeping my arms at 90

make sure youre doing all those, my bench improved right away once i got form down
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.