[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
rigid chain/rope/ basically a telescoping pole that rolls up anon
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: 41Z6K8E2MNL._SX300_[1].jpg (10 KB, 300x232) Image search: [Google]
41Z6K8E2MNL._SX300_[1].jpg
10 KB, 300x232
A few months ago I came here looking for a chain that wasn't just loose links, but could both coil up and be rigid and straight when arranged correctly. Someone mentioned "barrel chain", but I came to the conclusion that chain of any type would be too heavy. So I'm back with a new method, using spring steel similar to a tape measure.

A tape measure will extend and stay straight for about...what 9-10 feet when used correctly? I want to make a device that could be applied as well as improve the design of a tape measure to make it extend 30 ft and stay straight, in any direction. It would also be nice for this device to be able to transport loads on the end (load capacity will obviously depend on the length it has been extended and the strength of the spring steel). The purpose of this device is to make both a controllable retracting/expending semi-rigid extendable tether that requires only mechanical energy of a winch to propel the line forward.

I need to know if such a device is already in existence, and pointing out any flaws with my idea is also an added bonus. I would also like to know where I may purchase spring steel like the stuff inside tape measures. I would just rip one apart, but i want something a bit thicker.

TL;DR: Expand steel dong
>>
If you could design it in a way that when the tape comes out of the end of your roller it is in a triangle shape, you should be able to get it to go a long distance.
>>
>>1000231
yes i thought of that, but it needs to function from most angles. A triangular design would crimp sideways. The best design I can think of at the moment is something resembling a chinese yo yo with a coiling steel spring.
>>
File: 4 poles-1.jpg (572 KB, 1024x832) Image search: [Google]
4 poles-1.jpg
572 KB, 1024x832
>>999910
Like this?
>>
>>1000274
Yeah. A telescoping rod sounds like OPs best bet.
>>
>>999910
I'm not sure if this helps, but these things are cool anyway:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=spiralift
>>
>>1000666
nice get, only a devil such as you could crush my dreams with this video. This is probably the closest representation of the device so that partially answers my first question. There are two key differences.

1. I want mine to be smaller and handheld
2. The spiral locking method is ingenious but lacks speed. It would consume too much power too.
3.Also I don't need it to be so rigid that it becomes absolutely unbend-able or would fail under stress. I just need it to be rigid enough to hold it's own weight and a small load FORWARD and STRAIGHT.

The application of this device will also be different. To sum it up it will basically be a handheld grappling device. Not necessarily of the "Batman" or "secret agent" variety, but it could be applied like that if designed with an adequate motor/power source. It could be used to snake lines through pipe, pick up dropped items in unreachable areas (both high and low), be used as a superior substitute for those "claw on a stick" devices, and a light duty linear actuator The grapple line itself is where the difference is, it will be rigid and hopefully very lightweight to maintain control of the projectile, if any. The line will obviously have to be three dimensional and hopefully hollow once extended so that a cable can be threaded inside and attached to the end for added winching ability. I used a tape measures spring steel as my best bet because it can coil up in a small space and extend far.

Also as for just using a telescoping pole, they only get so long and don't fold up into a small of a space. They also get cumbersome to control when they're fully extended.
>>
>>1000766
>They also get cumbersome to control when they're fully extended.
well news for you op it doesn't matter what its made of, any long rod is difficult to control.

if you want a tapemeasure type device just curve the tape more?

like a snap bracelet thing that kids wear? you straighten it out and the sides curl to make it ridgid, when you snap it on your wrist it flattens forcing it to curl up. just a longer one of these. if you curl the edges enough you could make a tube out of it i guess, the more curl the stronger it is.
>>
>>1000766
The tool used to snake lines through pipe is called a fish. They automatic feeders for them, but they are expensive and large because they are only for very large ones. For smaller ones manpower is usually cheaper than any automated system.
>>
>>1000769

True, but the lighter, the better(light spring steel vs solid poles). I understand there will be "bend" in the material if stretched long enough, but the same is true for an non-tethered projectile such as a bullet or baseball. It's something I'm going to have to deal with.

as for the snap bracelet idea...yes kind of, but there's a certain point in extension where bending it in a u curve simply doesn't work and it fold.

Basically I want this kinda shit to come to an end:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfZP29oLDiM

>>1000773
I actually tested the first "prototype" with one of those. I threaded a 3/8ths through the springs center and put a washer on the top to cap it off. My idea was to pull the line down tied to the washer at the end to compress the spring and make it a rigid cylinder. In the end it was still too flexible and quite difficult to compress the spring straight and here I am now.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.