[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ray guns
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3
File: 4_raygun3a.jpg (434 KB, 720x721) Image search: [Google]
4_raygun3a.jpg
434 KB, 720x721
I want to make prop ray guns modeled after the ray guns seen in old 50's era sci-fi movies but trying to find guides and help on building ray guns just brings up Call of Duty crap and spray painted dollar store squirt guns.

Does anyone have any good resources or advice for making prop ray guns?
>>
good dubs
>>
Go to a plumbing suppliers, thats what the prop makers do
Look about and don't be afraid to tell the staff what you're doing, I've found most places are happy to help if they're making a sale
Or go the route of making a model and casting them in a cold form plastic
Also consider if the material can hold a paint job before buying it
>>
Why don't you draw what you want your ray gun to look like, then find parts that closely match it? May be hard to look for parts if you don't have a final form in mind.
>>
>>1000024
I get inspired looking at the available parts, walk around the shop matching things up, but I've heard of this "planning a project" thing before
>>
>>999900
You're not going to find stuff that just cleanly bolts together, I'm afraid.
That said--
....the bodies of those raygns looks like metal oil-can parts
....one source of cheap retro-looking pistol grips is to get a cheap air hammer and use the handle off that. They are polished aluminum with a trigger. Harbor Freight sells some for $13.
....hose spray-nozzles could be used for the end of the barrel. The straight-nozzle styles come in larger diameters and have screw threads on the back end to attach them to a 'barrel'
>>
File: 4_raygun4a.jpg (152 KB, 720x576) Image search: [Google]
4_raygun4a.jpg
152 KB, 720x576
>>1000247
more stuff like this would be useful, not exactly a defined parts list but ideas of what to look for.

Any ideas for glass parts?
>>
>>1000285
https://youtu.be/iZkCLOolYo0
>>
>>1000296
that is what inspired me.
>>
>>999900
Google flash gordon atomic raygun. Then see how close you can get with wood doweling, soda bottles, led lights, spraypaint, glitter, and $25 worth of random dollar store junk.

Keep in mind, you have to build a longarm and sidearm for Space Marines, a warp blaster for an interstellar assassin, and a discreet carry piece for a bodyguard. Plus a hunting rifle and a target pistol.
>>
>>1000285
Candy containers. Glass doesn't have to be glass, and metal doesn't have to be metal. Proper paint job will go a long way in selling the prop.
>>
>>999900
https://www.google.com/search?q=drill+raygun

For extra levels of awesome leave the drill functionality intact.
>>
>>1000453
these tend to look more dieselpunk-ish than 20's-50's sci-fi but still good information, im sure with the right paint job i could do something nice.
>>
>>1000011
This method is commonly referred to as "kitbashing." Throwing that around in your Googling may yield some new results.
>>
>>1000285
>Any ideas for glass parts?
Small glass domes for displays, they'll run you about $4.50 or so without a base or you could get those plastic ones out of a coin-op machine that has little kids toys in them for fuck all money.
The smaller bit with the fluid in it, I'd probably stick a marble or something in there.

Lab supply places also have some funky glassware and acrylic stuff too which is worth looking at, especially for tubing and shit
>>
>>1000524
polish it to mirror finish and its retro sci-fi as fuck.
>>
>>1000285
>Any ideas for glass parts?

Vacuum form clear PET-G, HIPS or Lexan sheet
>>
>>999900
Antique shops may have vintage components you can use, just be aware these places can have shitty prices. Hardware stores may have things.
>>
>>1000296
That guy does such cool work, I wish he'd open up more on camera.
>>
Another idea

https://youtu.be/rOzgYbUnExo
>>
I suggesst to first buy a cheap Watergung that looks some what cool, and Paint it.You can Learn goog Techniques by watching miature Painting Videos in YouTube, belive me.If you still have Interest, cobnle evrything together that you have flying around that looks like it could fit somehow, and dryfit every piece with every piece together, and think what they could represent.Then make a List with the things that you don't have, go to the Hardware store and buy things that seem fitting.Also, look at flee markets, old glass vases make cool Main bodys, geht a hot glue gun and clearcoat everything that is finished.Don't overdo it the first time.When youre happy, put it aside and Start something New, do not try to optimize it to much.
>>
>>1003146
Also, buy cheep model kits of warships and Tanks for parts.
>>
You can also use water guns as a base.
Steal the pistol grips from water pistols.
>>
>>1000285
>ideas of what to look for.

a 3d printer, a copy of solidworks, and some sanding paper.
>>
>>1000000
>>
>>1000001
>>
>>999900
Those are cool
>>
>>999900
Use your imagination and see if that works.
>>
>>1000285
Spent Primatene Mist bulbs with the yellow plastic up coating razored off. They were banned after 2011, and you can't sell them on eBay, even empty. But if you're me, you never throw anything away and have fucktons of them.
>>
>>1005523
Forgot pic.
>>
>>1005523
That should say plastidip coating.
>>
>>1005314
Everything always works in my imagination.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.