[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any cheap isolation tips? Want to play drums in there, got acoustic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4
File: RQonfn9.jpg (869 KB, 1795x2400) Image search: [Google]
RQonfn9.jpg
869 KB, 1795x2400
Any cheap isolation tips? Want to play drums in there, got acoustic insulation foam and was thinking of drywalling and acoustic caulking. Maybe 3 inch styrofoam on the outside and just put some stucco mud on it
>>
>its another rape dungeon thread
>>
>>999818
well technically the dungeon isn't underground yet so it's just a rape shed.
>>
Put the lotion in teh basket!
>>
>>999807
Look on Craigslist for free mattresses, they will be stained and filthy
you can stand them up and use 2x4's to build an inner wall and brace them in
Works great, did this in a garage when I was in high school and learning the accordion
>>
>>999807
a layer styrofoam and
some old carpets/ other fabric stuff on top of that.

>dont forget to link the snuff film
>>
>>999807
Unlike most other threads ("How do I sound proof my door" "How do I sound proof my wall") this is actually a viable thread, since it's a small standalone structure that you are in the middle of building, as others have said in this thread if you're looking to do it on the cheap, look for mattresses, carpets etc that are secondhand, line the walls with them.

And I hate to be that dick, but there are plenty of rescourses that are easy to find by just googling "Cheap sound insulation/isolation/proofing"
>>
>>999884
but then there wouldnt be a rape dungeon discussion now would there?
>>
You can use egg box.
>>
>>999807
Licenced insulator here. Go for egg cartons, just contact a manufacturer and buy a pallet, they are cheaper than dirt. There's videos on youtube how to to it. Matresses and carpets work alright, but get dense ones. The more dense a material is the more sound it will insulate.
>>
File: women3.jpg (113 KB, 400x528) Image search: [Google]
women3.jpg
113 KB, 400x528
>>999807
consider goat poo like africans do
damn!
>>
>>999807
>nes. The more dense a material is the more sound it will insulate.

straighten the third beam from the left asap
>>
>>999822
They made a movie about a rape shed very recently.
>>
Decouple the floor, wall and ceiling. Build a room within a room (or at minimum use some sort of sealent like green glue), is the best method for sound proofing. I'm doing this right now myself for a home cinema room.

Some info;

http://www.soundproofingcompany.com/soundproofing101/4-elements-of-soundproofing-for-construction/
>>
>>999835
eww
>>
>>999835

N... no. I don't think insulating with a mattress people have been fucking on for the last 15 years is a good idea.
>>
>>1000032
This. Padding and stuff won't take much out of the kick.
>>
>>999807
I do a bit of acoustical consulting
This is the right concept >>1000032
If you can't afford the "room within a room", get as close as you can by mounting all of your internal wall linings on resilient (springy) mounts (reduces structure-borne noise transmission).
The "higher density, higher sound insulation" concept is correct, but don't worry about applying this to your absorptive materials (foams) because they aren't "insulating" as such. That job is primarily done by the solid walls, so use as heavy plasterboard as you can afford, or better yet use 2 layers fixed offset to each other so the joins between sheets don't line up. Seal all of your perimeters with a non-hardening mastic so any movement in the building doesn't crack the joints. If you can push air through it, noise will go through it.
Use a fibreglass or mineral wool insulation inside the wall/ceiling/floor cavity to reduce cavity resonance effects, and make your studs as deep as you can (or use 2 rows staggered) to maximise the depth of the wall cavity.
Absorption inside the room itself should be to your liking given it's for music, but the more noise energy that is absorbed inside, the less there is breaking out. Use open-celled foams only, as these allow the sound waves to penetrate and lose energy. Closed-cell foams like polystyrene will have minimal effect. (easy test is you can put an open-celled foam over your mouth and blow through it with a bit of effort, but you won't be able to with closed-cell).
Stucco mud on the outside will add mass and therefore increase the transmission loss, so go as thick as you can.
>>
>>1000023
It bothers me too
>>
File: Cartman Lambs.jpg (40 KB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
Cartman Lambs.jpg
40 KB, 600x338
>>999827
lol

>>999884
I've found that anons on message boards have more valuable opinions than specific sites with agendas. And this >>999891
>>
Double studded walls, double joist floors and roof. fill cavities with roxul safe and sound insulation, then drywall with 5/8 over rc channel. caulk seams and use gaskets where possible.
>>
What about instead of dampening sound, you direct it?
>Enclose the room on all sides except upwards
>Big a big-ass vertical waveguide and horn to carry the sound up and away
>Blast your sikk beetz to the heavens while leaving the ground undisturbed
>>
>>999807

Solid

Concrete

Bro
>>
>>999835

>accordian

jesus
>>
>>999807
If that's your shed, consider building a bigger shed around it for room-in-a-room purposes.

>>999835
Good way to get bedbugs.
>>
>>1000934
i second this idea
>>
>>999943
>knows literally nothing about subject
>claims to be licensed
>>
>>999835
It never ceases to amaze me the lengths accordion players will go to to hid the fact they play a accordion.
>>
Hang some very thick curtains.
>>
File: rape shed.png (15 KB, 720x832) Image search: [Google]
rape shed.png
15 KB, 720x832
>>
>>999807
>Cheap

>>999835
Is the best answer. When I was in a high school band we did that to a room in my basement and built our own recording studio. The mattresses were perfect. If youre squeamish about it, frame the mattresses into the walls or wrap them in something/put curtains behind them

>>999867
old carpets would work too, a little less effective and in my opinion probably much much dirtier if you get used carpets. I would defintely through a couple carpets on the floor though and maybe staplegun one to the lid.

Drywall isnt going to make much of a difference, or thin foam. You can buy actual housing insulation and pack it in the walls as well.

Whatever you choose to do, its gonna get hot as balls in there and probably get pretty dank with all the fabrics/carpets/mattresses and you sweating your ass off.

Dont forget to put a board across your rafters at the back. If you cover the bottom of the 2x4s with plywood you can insulate those gaps as well
>>
>>1002708
>taking this bait..
>>
>>1000025
Sweden?
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.