[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have a welder has started tripping the breaker about 30% of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: ja9.jpg (218 KB, 604x604) Image search: [Google]
ja9.jpg
218 KB, 604x604
I have a welder has started tripping the breaker about 30% of the time time I strike the arc. The breaker and circuit are big enough for the welder, in theory, so I assume that either the breaker or the welder are wearing out.

I would like to get an ammeter to measure how much current is being pulled by the welder when the breaker pops. Will those energy-saver gadgets from Home Depot work? Or maybe one of those clamp things that electricians have on their multimeters?
>>
>>999563

is the breaker new? i'd try putting in a new one.

'energy saver gadget' like a kill-a-watt should give you a max reading but someone will have to be watching it on amps display mode when you strike the arc ( at least on mine ) because it doesn't save that info.
>>
http://www.amazon.com/TS-836A-Energy-Voltage-Electricity-Monitor/dp/B00E945SJG
- remembers peak usage (allegedly) - $15 = maybe 5% -/+ accurate tho, but, be enough for this. Whats the welder rated at, breaker can/should have a little headroom, but normal breakers (non GFCI, etc.) dont usually start wandering in their trip rating either.
>>
File: inrush.jpg (25 KB, 381x361) Image search: [Google]
inrush.jpg
25 KB, 381x361
a kill-a-watt type device might be destroyed, or at least damaged, if you try to use it in a case like this. a better idea is a clamp probe with a ''surge'' or ''inrush'' setting. which is not gonna be cheap, i dont think.

more info here: http://en-us.fluke.com/training/training-library/test-tools/clamp-meters/how-and-why-to-measure-inrush-current.html

what i would do personally is to use an old broken clamp meter i have, and just connect the pick-p coil to the audio card on the computer, while running a software scope.
>>
>>999634
>http://en-us.fluke.com/training/training-library/test-tools/clamp-meters/how-and-why-to-measure-inrush-current.html

Thanks. I may be able to rent one.
>>
Typically the breaker goes first. Post make/model/serial of welding machine on the Weldingweb forums with your question if your problem isn't wiring.
>>
>>999563
Are you using your welder in your house?
Does your breaker have the correct curve for an inductive load?
Normal breakers are type b
Machinery with high inrush is usually on a type c
A breaker is more complicated than its current rating
>>
>>999624
>is the breaker new? i'd try putting in a new one.

This. I have a wall plug in my garage the the previous owner fully admitted to never using for anything, ever. Any time I tried to do something more complicated then charge something, the breaker went because it was old and not used to the power going through it.
>>
>>999563
are you 110 and your welder is 220?
>>
>>1001923
Betting on this.
>>
Breakers are cheap, so I'll just replace the one I have, and if that solves the problem, great.

>>1001923
It is a dual 220/400v model and I'm running it off 220. AFAIK it was used on 220 for many years without incident, but I'll get a 400v cable and try it with that before I give up.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.