[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are the general calculations for building a fence? I need
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: wood_board_on_board_fence_1.jpg (2 MB, 2304x1728) Image search: [Google]
wood_board_on_board_fence_1.jpg
2 MB, 2304x1728
What are the general calculations for building a fence? I need to figure out how much material I need for around 60-70 feet of fencing.
>>
>>999120
Calculate the volume of your yard, subtract that from the perimeter of the height.
>>
>>999120

Google.com
>>
>>999120
a = width of spar / (width of spar + width of gap)
b = height - bottom gap
c = length (=60-70ft?)

total length = c * a * b

is assuming NO WASTAGE

wastage is something like
height modulo timber length / timber length
multiply by wastage then add 10% for good luck

i am not an expert in eithe maths or fencing so this could be completely wrong but i tried my best.
>>
>>999120
Paper and pencil. Draw it. Count number of 2x4s, 4x4s, pickets (assuming pic is related), whatever you're going to use. Concrete? Number of holes, how deep, figure volume. Gates? Figure out how many hinges, what kind of closure, etc. Google Lowe's, Home Depot, whatever, find prices. Multiply. Add.
>>
>>999151
>Paper and pencil. Draw it. Count number of 2x4s, 4x4s, pickets (assuming pic is related), whatever you're going to use. Concrete? Number of holes, how deep, figure volume. Gates? Figure out how many hinges, what kind of closure, etc. Google Lowe's, Home Depot, whatever, find prices. Multiply. Add.

I was right with you up until Lowes, Home depot. Look up a local lumber yard. They will have better lumber cheaper. If time or experience is a factor it can be as easy as burying your posts and attaching prebuilt 8' sections
>>
File: Archimedes.jpg (302 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
Archimedes.jpg
302 KB, 768x1024
840 inches of fence.
Some people go 7.5 ft between posts and it works and saves some cost. If you go 5.5 ft the fence will be sturdier. You would get 12 foot boards and cut in half for the rails. Your going to have scrap anyway and 6 inches of leeway doesn't hurt a bit. I think last year the fence boards I bought were 5.5/5.25", posts are 3.5".
Plan on getting some shit boards, ripping them at posts and mistakes so get about 10 percent minimum extra for this and if you have some left over worth a shit take it back. I figure 2 80 lb bags of concrete per hole for a good post and again it's better to have more than you need than to have not enough. Concrete absorbs moisture like crazy so don't let it set out for a long period as in hours not days. Keep it indoors until your ready to use it. Dig the posts first and keeping them inline with a string at least and always double check it as your going keeping it above anything to catch it and through off your line like a stick or grass even.
>>
>>999158
The problem with a local lumber yard is that you can't just Google prices there, at least in my area. When I was planning my fence I called a couple and the prices were actually higher than the box stores. Ten years ago you were right, the lumber yards had lower prices, better products, and delivered free. Even brought me a free nail apron with the delivery! Not any more.

And those pre-built sections come apart in less than two years. I HATE them.
>>
>>999120

Divide total length of your fence by the width of the fence board to get the number of boards you need. Round up fractions. Multiply the number of boards by 4 to get the number of nails you need for nailing the boards. Multiply each 2x4 by 6 to get the number of nails you need for nailing the 2x4's.

Divide total length of your fence by the length of 2x4's you want to use and add 1 to get the number of fence posts required. Multiply the previous result (before adding 1) by 2 to get the number of 2x4's required.

Use 1-3 bags of concrete for each fence post.
>>
>>999120
OP you're going to need about 60-70 feet
>>
>>999120
Posts every eight feet. If you want 6 ft tall fence, put two ft in the ground for the posts, so 8 ft posts. 9 posts total. Don't skimp, 3x3 at least to support the weight.
x2-3 bags of 60LBs of concrete per hole. 27 bags depends how wide you make your post holes.
Top and bottom rails, 10 ft just in case for problems that will arise, so x14.
Wood pickets, depends how wide you want, that will change quantity.
Best advice I can tell you, make sure everything from posts to panels is fucking level. You'll have a shitty looking fence and weak fence that will topple over in a year or two. Make sure your fence line is fucking straight, true.

The biggest curve balls coming your way are:
Solid rock/ existing concrete where posts need to go and inclines/declines in terrain. No one takes them into consideration

Good luck, building fence aren't as easy as people assume.
>>
>>999120
its cheaper to buy premade fence sections
>>
>>999324
built a fence with premade sections 12 years ago and its still fine. maybe you didnt seal yours properly
>>
>>999324
why dont you just call them??? draw ur plans so you know what ur asking for then ask around
>>
Thanks for the help everybody. I went to the local lumberyard today (we don't have a chain in my area) to get prices and the guy suggested that I get "post-mix" concrete instead of readimix, which apparently you just dump half the bag into the hole and stir in water? Is the stuff worth the convenience or should I just get regular redimix?
>>
>>1002517
Allegedly post cement cures faster. So would you rather start a few hours after you set the posts or possibly next day with regular concrete?

Either way you could dump a bag in the hole and stir in water.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.