[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Heyo /Diy/ I have come looking for advice on the following:
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3
File: gaps.png (10 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
gaps.png
10 KB, 640x400
Heyo /Diy/

I have come looking for advice on the following:

What material/substance should I use to fill 4x7cm holes in the shed roof to ensure a nice airtightness when constructing an effective chimney flue? I will attach an illistration to help describe what I mean... I am talking about the gap caused when you place corrigated iron on top of a brick wall.

Also, any top tips about chimney flues? Aside from the obvious like making the chimney exit higher than the ceiling of the room/building by about 1/2 ft
>>
File: retro-ridgeseal-image-ticks-.jpg (30 KB, 595x359) Image search: [Google]
retro-ridgeseal-image-ticks-.jpg
30 KB, 595x359
Corrugated iron flashing, or just a long roll of lead flashing which will mold to almost any shape. if it needs to be airtight, fill the inside with expanding foam to create a seal
>>
>>999068
Did you recently buy the tin? I'd say go back and see if they have anything. Menards sells a foam strip that fits underneath the corrugations on their sheets. If not fiberglass insulation would probably be a good bet.

Also your thread will be around for days no need to bump
>>
>>999084
its the largest corrigated iron Ive seen in a long time and its been there for what looks like a decade.

>>999083
Should the expanding foam be any specific make to ensure it wont catch fire when the place gets warm? (this concrete shed is my forge)
>>
>>999068
Did you know that you need airflow of some sort when using a fireplace?

Also don't desperately bump. /diy/ is a slow board. If you are truly desperate I recommend hanging up and dialing 911.
>>
>>999100
Airflow like.... another, lower down opening for air to come in from... like a slightly open door...?
>>
File: Screenshot_20160526-220810.png (886 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160526-220810.png
886 KB, 1080x1920
>>999092
If you can't find foam that matches it might be as well to get a solid strip of foam and cut your own out.

Fire rated expansion foam would probably be better if that's what you're going to use but I find it messy and if you're going to ass trim later you'll have to prep it once it's cured.

All this said though, it shouldn't matter. The heat source under the flue will cause a natural updraught.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.