[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Recliner Repair. Need some glue ideas.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: 20.JPG.w300h225.jpg (14 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
20.JPG.w300h225.jpg
14 KB, 300x225
Ok so my good ol' recliner is showing its age. The Mechanics and fabric are fine as I do my best to keep them in nice working order and clean. However the foam rubber in the seat is drying out and is literally crumbling away because of the springs rubbing against it. I fear it may soon ware its way through the fabric.

I've come up with a solution of gluing cushion foam to some vinyl shower pan liner and then stuffing it over the springs. The liner should be strong enough to resist ware from the springs for a long time, but I don't know what type of glue to use to glue the cushion foam onto it.

Does anyone here know of a good glue I can use? It needs to hold strong and last for a very long time. Anything under $5 would be great due to low funds.
>>
JB Weld. Two part epoxy, mix it, rub it on your stuff, set it and forget it.
>>
>>998836
The chemicals in JB will melt cushion foam.
>>
What kind of glue can I use then?
>>
>>998918
The white glue woodworkers use. Thin it 3:1 glue and warm water and brush it.
It should be the consistency of milk.
To test it you can drink and if it feels like milk you've done it right.
Or you can dip a paint stick in the thinned glue, pull it up and if the glue runs for three seconds and then starts dripping its fine.

If the glue is too thick it will form a layer berween the foam and vinyl, then get crunchy and break off with use.

Or just get spray adhesive from 3M. Its what upholsterers use.
>>
>>998847
Wouldn't a solvent melting the foam make the bond stronger once it's cured?
>>
>>998940
No, because it is actually burning, not melting, and will become hard and flaky.
It won't melt in the same way plastic piping does.
Meaning it won't just become soft and tacky.
>>
File: FingerBurner9001.jpg (84 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
FingerBurner9001.jpg
84 KB, 1200x1200
>>998823
I've had good results gluing foam with hot glue. Particularly pic related. It's a high-performance hot glue that takes longer than most to set, so it wicks into foam. It also sets very flexible, and grips tight, so it shouldn't peel if you glue it right. It does, however require a decent high-temperature glue gun.

Alternately, 3M makes some spray adhesives that may be suitable. IIRC there's one specifically for foam.
>>
>>998924
You mean Elmer's Glue all?
>>
File: 1404[1].jpg (355 KB, 750x701) Image search: [Google]
1404[1].jpg
355 KB, 750x701
>>998823
Just be careful. It can get a little messy.
>>
>>998924
>>999056
Won't the aerosol also melt the foam?
>>
>>999057
No.
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Adhesives/Tapes/Products/~/3M-Super-77-Multipurpose-Spray-Adhesive?N=5396314+3293242460&rt=rud
>>
>>999056
$10 a can, ouch. Is there anything cheaper?
>>
>>999130
>$10 a can, ouch. Is there anything cheaper?

It is worth the price. Your foam and battening will cost significantly more.
>>
>>999137
well I don't have much money left in my wallet do to reasons. But I guess I'll have to wait for my paycheck... I just hope the springs don't wear through in the meantime.
>>
>>998823
I may not know much about glue, but you're solution to prevent more ware is brilliant OP.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.