[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
First time using a pressure washer, messed up hard on my deck.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5
File: deck.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
deck.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1920
First time using a pressure washer, messed up hard on my deck. Lap marks everywhere, and some actual wood damage too. Is there any way to fix these?
>>
File: deck1.jpg (2 MB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
deck1.jpg
2 MB, 2560x1920
Damage to the coating.
>>
Put carpet down over the top
>>
>>998621
sand and restain/seal
>>
>>998621

>Coated deck

Goddamn man. Just get a hardwood deck and they bleach to that colour by themselves.

I dunno about oak and all those northern woods but we have a 1"x10" greenheart deck that at 20 years of tropical showers, weeds growing out of the joints and commercial tier foot traffic is still going strong.

Go up to 2"x4" and that will last decades in the sea.
>>
>>998649
Any advice on a fix or is it impossible?
>>
>>998655

Yes, sand and restain. Replace that rusted deck screw while you're at it.
>>
>>998621
is that synthetic or stained wood?

it will fade with a bit of time until you cant tell anymore
>>
>>998685
Stained.

Don't think >>998623 will fade away anytime soon.
>>
>>998621

It looks like thats composite decking, seeing as there are no splits/checks/knots etc. If that is actual lumber, then sand it, stain it, and ignore everything in the rest of my post.

Short of replacing the deck boards I would say you're pretty fucked with fixing it, like someone else said just let it fade like the shitty product it is and it'll eventually look the same.I dont know how well that stuff would take to sanding, I imagine it would leave swirl marks and just fuck up the "woodgrain" texture they press into it, then you would end up with a smooth plastic looking deck.

Also who the fuck doesn't use hidden fasteners when installing composite decking?
>>
>>998655

If it is real lumber. Sand and restrain as others have said if not >>998734
>>
Nevermind, seems like it's composite after more thought.

Looks like we're leaving it.
>>
File: Grip-Rite.jpg (84 KB, 1067x800) Image search: [Google]
Grip-Rite.jpg
84 KB, 1067x800
>>998734
>It looks like thats composite decking
It looks just like my composite decking only grey.
Man this is another reason to avoid Composite Decking at all costs. Besides it being an "engineered" decorative product touted as recycled material. Good luck when you go to replace it or get rid of your scraps. The land fill it goes.
>Also who the fuck doesn't use hidden fasteners when installing composite decking?
I guess it's a preference thing. I've seen "hidden fasteners" in composite and to me it looks over-driven and shit. Good luck getting them back out after a few years if need be.
>>
>>998621
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DY6CiLH-_YM

>the best way to take care of your deck
>>
File: osama[1].jpg (132 KB, 320x420) Image search: [Google]
osama[1].jpg
132 KB, 320x420
>composite decking
tha fuck purchases, recommends or installs this muck anyway - like srsly, for why? maybe missing something, but, Im not seeing the plus points here.
>>
>>998832
Wood decks need to have a sealant applied from time to time. They absorb and release moisture and constantly change shape, warp, cup etc. They need to be power washed once in a while to release the grit that gets pounded into the wood fibers.

Composite decking does not absorb moisture and basically needs no maintenance apart from cleaning every now and then. They also often come with 20, 40, 50+ year warranties.

Though my deck is made with chromated arsenic treated wood (the kind that's banned now) and will probably never rot for a few more decades even though its 30+ years old. All I do is pressure wash it every few years and spray on Thomson Weatherseal once a year (this takes literally 30 minutes with my airless spray gun while it would be an all-day job with brushes).
>>
File: 1463886605945.gif (967 KB, 270x252) Image search: [Google]
1463886605945.gif
967 KB, 270x252
>>998838
>They also often come with 20, 40, 50+ year warranties
>chromated arsenic treated wood
Your talking about the structural portion here right?
After going the composite decking route I challenge any composite company that's sold composite decking for 20 years and made good on a warranty claim and replaced it. Not do many doing that I'll wager and less that can prove it'll last 50 years without a controlled environment (ambient temperature indoors and total darkness)
With the price of composite decking the way it is I'd say that's where the money is and the marketing and social engineering shilling going on proves it.
>>
What exactly is composite wood? Like MDF or particle board?
From the photo it looks like you can still sand and stain it.
>>
What's different between a composite fence and deck? Composite fences are the nut.
>>
>>999503
Composites are wood dust mixed into (often recycled) plastics. This is why there are long term questions. Even so called uPVC temds to get brittle after 5 -10 years.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.